It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal file Sharers in UK Could be Cut Off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Illegal file Sharers in UK Could be Cut Off

uk.i4u.com

A new amendment to the Digital Britain Reports would see Ofcom gain new powers to fight online piracy. Under the new amendment, Ofcom would be able to terminate the internet connection of users found to be sharing files.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk
technology.timesonline.co.uk
www.nma.co.uk
www.t3.com

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It appears that the basic Human Rights to privacy, to seek information and to share information are about to be cut up in the UK. Whilst Mandelson is denying it, his recent meeting with a media mogul in Corfu does sound like it's escalated Britain's very Orwellian framework.

So whilst Digital Britain: The Final Report is being applauded as only costing £6 per year for internet access to everyone. What you access and who you access it with will be spied upon.

Will there be an appeals process or will it be another Quango like the Internet Foundation who managed to stop all of Wikipedia being edited by anyone in Britain back in February of this year?

As always your thoughts are very welcome.

-m0r

(I can post here??)

uk.i4u.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
dude.. its well under discussion here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

join in !

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Lol, i have had no privacy for 17 1/2 years, with mind control monitoring me, and them handing out every detail of my life to people in my area. So london and uk, has no privacy for years.

The thing you have to watch for is the people running society are just like animals, and do not care one bit who they destroy, as long as they are doing it.

Not sure how my life would be without net, but i assume they are talking about torrents and things like kazaa, that users sahre files all the time.

Them talking about stealing is pure hypocrisy, as you will find that the intelligence services, perve into lifes, and use the media to ridicule people who become problems in society. So who is stealing?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

i have had no privacy for 17 1/2 years, with mind control monitoring me

Please elaborate on that, or direct me to a thread about this mind control

as for illegal file sharing, I don't believe people should be cut off, but should be fined

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm certainly no defender of the Corporate Entertainment Industries..however, I think this course of action is one of the best of all the evils alternatives one can face when caught participating in illegal file sharing.

I would rather have my ISP account terminated than face legal action, or be made to do 300 hours community service. Sure, if you are lazy like me you will find having to switch ISPs a real pain and effort, but it is not financially or theoretically difficult to do. But I do think it would act as a deterrent of some sort; after all, few people enjoy being inconvenienced.

Of course it depends what they mean by "Cut Off." If it means that your family name will be placed on a register of names that are not allowed to have an ISP account then that is pretty harsh and an overkill. Perhaps even a breach of one's individual rights.

[edit on 25/8/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
So what then if people start arranging software/music trading parties (a la tupperware parties) in their houses so they can trade their latest files. I assume they would start having the police raid them?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You cant really say Filesharing is destroying artistic values because who puts a finalistic pricetag on a artists work?
For example a band like Metallica might make 10 million in making a CD but only 1 person will ever buy it, so does that give them the right to charge that 1 person 10 million pounds when the face-value in the shop says 10 pounds?
So why should they fine downloaders/uploaders millions of pounds for doing the same thing? They didnt steal monetary values from the artists because 1. the tracks were already paid for by the CD being release and ripped in the first place, and 2. No monetary value was ever finalised by the band/record company to submit a justified fine.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Cutr the service to any PC found to be illegaly sharing files??? I can see alot of unhappy service providers, a good 80% of their customers are about to get cut off

I would say every single person I know my own age and younger has illegaly shared files at some point. To cut them off you have to cut the parents off to. Thats a few THOUSAND computers that will lose their service just in the 4 small towns where I live. We are talking millions of people losing their service.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

I think it will be used as a scare tactic more than anything. They will cut off a few customers, someone that had a child downloading, it will make the headlines and every parent in the same jurisdiction will make damn sure their kids are downloading files anymore.

Imagine how scared kids will be to download too, knowing they can get their families internet cut off. I see a lot of future belt whippings ahead...

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Thats the thing though, everbody already knows they could get caught. But the mentality is, it wont be me.

Just like you yourself said, it will probably be used as a scare tactic, so even if somebodies next door neighbor was caught, they would just think 'right well I wont be then'...he was just used as an example.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with file sharing and piracy and everything to do with control and policing the internet. They are simply using piracy as an excuse to do so.
New Labour & the UK government are beyond corrupt and they have the nerve & audacity to dictate law to everyone else. Sheesh!

[edit on 25-8-2009 by kindred]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This kind of law already exist in France, it's called HADOPI.

Your adsl operator can check your connections, maybe they have changed that but they were speaking about installing a software on your computer which one will verify if you use a P2P software, they will warn you first but if you are still downloading illegally then they will cut you off the internet and probably a nice fine with it.

Thank you Sarkonazy, I see that his bad ideas are spreading all around the world and that smell very bad, I just hope they will never do that in Belgium.

I just don't understand why they don't legalise downloading and we, the downloaders, should get something like 5 or 10 dollars or more but not too much^^ added to our adsl bill to """""""""pay""""""""" the authors rights, even If we know the artist will only get 10 cents of the 10 dollars but at least we will get the peace with usual ""downloading means raping" propaganda.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
If someone get fined, where does the money go to? :S

Second line.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Into a pot, some money could be given to the correct authority's to fine more illegal file down loaders, the rest could be split between registered legal music distribution company's and given out as prizes

[edit on 25-8-2009 by Pockets]

top topics

join