It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You got a problem with God?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Well, Thor is the god of thunder
. I might think you and me are on a bit of the same page, even if i despise religion. That aside, i still think the god in the bible sucks

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by K-Raz

Here is some evidence, in the form of DNA!
Sorry its so long but you asked....

GN: Some time back, you mentioned that if the "junk DNA" turns out to have viable functions, it would support the case for intelligent design. What does the recent data say on this subject?

JW: According to modern neo-Darwinism, genes that are passed from generation to generation carry a program that directs embryo development, mutations occasionally alter this genetic program to produce new variations, and natural selection then sorts those mutations—the "raw materials of evolution"—to produce new species, organs, and body plans.

In the 1950s, molecular biologists discovered that proteins, the microscopic building blocks of bodily structures, are formed according to information encoded in different segments of DNA. They then equated "gene" with "protein-coding sequence" and "mutations" with molecular accidents in such sequences.

By the 1970s, however, it was clear that most of the DNA in human beings and many other animals does not code for proteins. In 1980, Francis Crick [codiscoverer of the structure of DNA] and Leslie Orgel argued in Nature that this noncoding DNA is merely "junk" that has accumulated in the course of evolution. For the next 25 years, many biologists continued to regard noncoding DNA as junk.

In his 2009 book Why Evolution Is True, neo-Darwinist Jerry Coyne compared predictions based on intelligent design with those based on Darwinian evolution. "If organisms were built from scratch by a designer," he argued, they would not have imperfections. "Perfect design would truly be the sign of a skilled and intelligent designer. Imperfect design is the mark of evolution; in fact, it's precisely what we expect from evolution" [p. 81].

According to Coyne, "when a trait is no longer used, or becomes reduced, the genes that make it don't instantly disappear from the genome: evolution stops their action by inactivating them, not snipping them out of the DNA. From this we can make a prediction. We expect to find, in the genomes of many species, silenced, or 'dead,' genes: genes that once were useful but are no longer intact or expressed" [pp. 66-67].

In contrast, Coyne said that creation by design predicts that no such genes would exist. "And the evolutionary prediction that we'll find pseudogenes has been fulfilled," he wrote. "Our genome—and that of other species—are truly well populated graveyards of dead genes" [p. 67].

But Coyne was dead wrong. A growing mountain of data from genome-sequencing projects shows that most DNA performs essential functions. The Darwinists' claim that a large percentage of DNA is evolutionary junk is totally false. This reflects badly not only on them, but also on neo-Darwinism itself. By Coyne's logic, the genome-sequencing data refute neo-Darwinism and support intelligent design.

More here:
www.gnmagazine.org...

[edit on 14-11-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by SpacePunk

I was sentenced to this life as a last ditch effort to

I relate to this so much, I have often wondered why one of lifes greatest truths is an oxymoron. "LIFE IS A DEATH SENTENCE"

[edit on 13-11-2009 by randyvs]

Well, yah, nobody gets out alive, as they say... at least physically. I know that when I go, I will go screaming. It's such a comfort.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by K-Raz
reply to post by dodadoom

Well, Thor is the god of thunder
. I might think you and me are on a bit of the same page, even if i despise religion. That aside, i still think the god in the bible sucks

I agree. I hate religions too.
Religions are divisive and can lead to brainwashing and hate.
Like anything when taken to an extreme it becomes dangerous. IMO

I went through the rock school of hard knocks!
I could tell you some things I've seen! WOW
I have seen the face of evil as well as the face of God.
If that doesn't give ya a few gray hairs, I dont know what will!
I dont diss on your beliefs I can only relay mine.
Individuality is kewl!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Well, yah, nobody gets out alive, as they say... at least physically. I know that when I go, I will go screaming. It's such a comfort.

Why do you say this? Because of the way you came in ?
Is it the fear factor? Please explain?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
In any given battle, each side claims to be doing the 'will of God.' Either one of them is wrong, or it's God's will for them both to be at war...too complicated for my little brain.

interesting...

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

I know what you mean!
I have wondered about this also.
IF you are killing others instead of helping them,
chances are you just might be a religious redneck!
No I'm kidding.
Anyone who kills another person for ANY reason,
clearly is not following God's teachings.
Period. The End.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
reply to post by Tormentations

I know what you mean!
I have wondered about this also.
IF you are killing others instead of helping them,
chances are you just might be a religious redneck!
No I'm kidding.
Anyone who kills another person for ANY reason,
clearly is not following God's teachings.
Period. The End.

Which teachings are those? Old or New testament?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Obviously you are very curious abut this.
Why not study up for yourself?
The information you seek is out there.
Or maybe its really inside of your heart...

Is killing right or not?
Do you have the right to judge God's actions?
Man chose his fate in life.
His choice. He decided to go it alone without God.
Hence his own ongoing death and destruction.
I'm pretty sure you are leading up to the point that
you think God is really a bad dude.
He's a fair God. He has to let man learn the hard way.
Otherwise he would have made us robots.
He won't intervene sometimes in a tragedy for instance,
when man needs to learn his way leads to death.
There can be no other way that really works.
Otherwise we would be slaves.
Which clearly you are not. Correct?
Edit for clarification

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Because when I die here physically, I know that I will have to face that creature again, and I have no idea if what I do here will cause it to decide to utterly and completely destroy me (no more incarnations, no more anything, it would cause me to cease to exist, utterly, and completely), or spare me.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hello

Just wanted to add my two cents.

The problem I have with 'GOD' is the assumption that a Middle Eastern Deity should hold a higher reverence than any other Deity. That a Middle Eastern Myth should be held in the highest regards as an absolute truth for ALL human beings, regardless of heritage and culture.

I question why anyone NOT of Middle Eastern descent would choose to worship a GOD that has created such inner turmoil amongst it's own people and a hatred for those who do not partake in it's teachings.

I question why an American who supports the war would worship a Middle Eastern Deity and pray for his assistance in helping those not of Middle Eastern descent (Americans).

I am an American of Northern European descent. As such, I do not find a commonality, attachment, or liking for the Middle Eastern Mythology. I find comfort and faith in my own heritage and the teachings of my ancestors.

My faith does not teach hatred for another because they do not believe what I believe. My faith teaches love of family and community, basic moral principles, and a common courtesy to other human beings.

I do not see this in the Middle Eastern Mythology. I see violence, hatred, and destruction if you do not concede to it's will. I also see an hypocrisy unlike any other, in that FREE WILL is claimed as a tenant of this 'philosophy'.

The reality is all of the Middle Eastern 'religions' throughout time, have slaughtered millions in the name of their 'God'. Which, no matter what way you would like to sugar coat it, means they make human sacrifices to their God.

I believe those not of Middle Eastern descent who adhere to the mythology of the Middle East should take a step back and analyze why they do so.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

reply to post by sirnex

Obviously you are very curious abut this.
Why not study up for yourself?
The information you seek is out there.
Or maybe its really inside of your heart...

Is killing right or not?
Do you have the right to judge God's actions?
Man chose his fate in life.
His choice. He decided to go it alone without God.
Hence his own ongoing death and destruction.
I'm pretty sure you are leading up to the point that
you think God is really a bad dude.
He's a fair God. He has to let man learn the hard way.
Otherwise he would have made us robots.
He won't intervene sometimes in a tragedy for instance,
when man needs to learn his way leads to death.
There can be no other way that really works.
Otherwise we would be slaves.
Which clearly you are not. Correct?
Edit for clarification

I've already studied it, I'm curious which teachings of God your discussing here, old or new testament teachings? Which God are you describing as good? God or Jesus?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by blasphemy

Your two cents are worth two cents.

Civilization started in the middle east. Search Sumeria.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Win as many arguments as you can, because that's more important than finding out the truth about God.

Just like an old war strategy... set up the ambush, wait for the right time, then leap.

Well, just because you know how to do battle doesn't mean that you'll win the war. America has been in Afghanistan for how long...?

God is God. As His children have changed, so He has changed the way that He interacts with His children. If and when you have a child, you should understand that.

Now imagine your child has just turned 21, is legally allowed to drink, and decides to drive drunk and smack someone. He kills someone and injures himself really badly. Do you let him suffer the consequences of his actions, or do you offer a way out and try and support him despite his COMPLETE LACK OF RESPECT no matter what you thought you'd done for him? Yeah, you're angry with him, you want to choke him for being so reckless for bringing this on other people, himself, and you. But, at the same time, you realize how he is going to perceive this whole thing, and no, he's not going to be happy about it by any means... but, if you don't step in and try to offer some kind of support, he is more likely to sink into a black hole never to be seen again and he'll transform into walking death. Death will follow him about and he will destroy everything and himself eventually. You still love him and have a little respect for the world, so you want what is best for him and for everyone else. You offer him hope, why at the same time offering yourself some hope that your child will survive this stupid, stupid mistake.

Now, when he was a child, he was a rotten little jerk. Or maybe he was a calm demeanored child. The rotten little jerks deserve many smackings. THe people who pick on your calm demeanored child deserve many more smackings. In fact, if your rotten little jerk constantly attacks your calm demeanored child, you're likely to tell the spoiled rotten little jerk to back off by given what previously belonged to the rotten little jerk to the calm demeanored child. Of course, this is how you deal with children, which is what people where spiritually in the Old Testament. But now that the children have passed into spiritual adulthood, God must deal with us differently. Yes, we still make EXTREMELY childish mistakes, but we are not coming into and out of God's house as frequently anymore. Meaning, we aren't under his shelter near as much. We are more like visitors than children in many ways. But, we ARE still his children. But, since we cannot be treated like children anymore, he must offer us a way out.

But..soon, we will be advanced into the elderly stage of our spiritual growth. And as we continue in our petty childish advances, God will have to treat us like strangers, the strangers that we've made ourselves by being away from Him for so long. He tells us how he deals with us then... He destroys our world. We've messed up big time and in spite of all of our growth and understanding and everything that He has revealed, we still make CHILDISH excuses and play stupid games all day. We are becoming increasingly more pathetic because we never grow up.

God is the same. God always has been and always will be. It is WE who are inevitably changing, and God who must watch as we inevitably see the destruction of everything we've built, out of our childish play-dough.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

I was going to reply but I dont need to now.
You said more than I ever could.
To sum up my thoughts on this post would be,

we put God in an awfully small box sometimes.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I've already studied it, I'm curious which teachings of God your discussing here, old or new testament teachings? Which God are you describing as good? God or Jesus?

Both.

The one I believe in.

You?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Sumer was the first 'known' CIVILIZATION, not the first known location of Homo Sapien.

The first 'KNOWN' location of the Homo Sapien was in East Africa, a tribal people who spread from there.

Using your logic, should it be said then, that all human beings should adhere to the henotheistic tribal religions?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

This thread is silly.

Believe what you want but you are a long way from the truth. I only got to page 2 before posting here so I'm not sure if you have learned anything at all since that time.

People that assume things are ALWAYS wrong. 100%, all the time, WRONG. When you assume something as being 100% correct, you stop. There is no further investigation needed. The problem with christians(assuming that you are) is that they think they know what "god" is. They believe that they are 100% correct in their faith and will preach this belief onto others. In otherwords, suppressive religions such as christianity and islam, stops you from thinking for yourself. Stops you from growing. You are frozen in an "infantile" state of mind because, for a lack of better words, you are lazy minded. You need to be told what to do/how to think.

Mathematics is the closest thing we have that is 100% correct. But it is not perfect. For example, pi has no end. But if you are good at math you can understand a lot about how this world works because everything is set by numbers. EVERYTHING! Everything is calculated out on this planet, not by "god", but by US! Yes us, humans. If you really believe, as you do, you wouldn't accept the system in which you live in because you would know that it is complete BS. You would be one with your surroundings that aren't trapped inside a man made system based on numbers. You'd be one/connected with nature and "god" outside of numbers. It's the mind that "stops", due to the suppression of most religions, that keep people like yourself from understanding this simple concept.

Jesus H Christ!(pun intended) It's all there in your religion! But the bible is such a cluster f@#* of misinformation that the actual message of your so called "savior" is basically tossed to the side and used as a marketing tool to make money. Instead of evolving towards a "jesus christ" type of existence you guys either spin around in circles or maintain the status quo. I almost feel sorry for your types because the longer you go believing the garbage that has been fed to you, the harder it will to adapt to situations when things go terribly wrong. The only thing you got going for you is numbers. The huge number of willfully blind suppressed and self suppressed "god" fearing people in this world are there for you. Good luck on your journey to nowhereness.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by truthtothemasses

That is what the devil is best at!
Sowing confusion.
Thats his 'bag'.
No wonder so many are lost in ego land.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

reply to post by truthtothemasses

That is what the devil is best at!

Metaphorically speaking right? If you mean this literally, we are not on the same page.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join