You got a problem with God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Constantly here on ATS,running into folk, who seem to have a big beef w/ the creator. So I'm hoping for a fair sized list here, for reference. At the same time ,
providing a space, for all your big beefs. NOTE- I will provide not one critique,
in the course of this thread. If any discussions arise so be it. All ATS rules
apply as always. So try to keep civil please. I do reserve the right to pop in
once in awhile, if I, and when I, so choose. Here's why I am choosing to remain
silent, thru most of this thread. Don't let this scare you off please.

I want not just your big beefs. I also want to know, if you just don't think he exists.
Tell me why?
If you have a different belief please do tell.
All little gripes, aches, and pains, even it's just a whaa, or anything that's going on in your life( all you believers) that you need people to pray for.A loved one in
Iraq, anyone who is sick,or what have you.Anything. I just want real, and unselfish reasons for myself to pray for. This will hopfully help us to kNOW
one another better. My biggest intention for this thread.So if you clicked and read all this, I encourage you to participate.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by randyvs]

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Why would you assume that you know the creator, or that you speak on behalf of it?

People don't have a beef with "the creator" - people don't have beefs with things they don't believe - instead they have a beef with religion and religious thought.

As for why I don't believe. I posted this in another thread...

I certainly think it's possible that God could exist, I concede that point, but looking around the world, looking at our evolution, looking at our history and how religious thought has done nothing but hold us back, the only way that I can reconcile the idea that god exists with reality is that it plainly doesn't care about us. And even if god did exist, it's incredibly arrogant and narcissistic to presume that we are its special little creation that it will nurture and guide into sentience.

First we presumed the earth was flat. We were wrong.
We presumed the universe stretched as far as we could see. We were wrong.
We presumed the Earth was the centre of the universe. We were wrong.
We presumed life was always as it is now.
We presumed the continents were fixed.
We presumed Earth was the only planet.
We presumed the galactic bodies and the size of the universe were fixed.

Today many still presume that God or gods exist as well as spirits and the afterlife but most significantly that we are the most significant thing there is. Why?

Life has been here on Earth for 4.5 billion years yet we appeared and prospered in the last 100 million years. This earth isn't designed for us, evolution instead designed us for it.

Why presume that we are special just because we can think better than anything that we have discovered? Our intelligence seems more like one of those occasional freakish attributes that nature tries out and scraps when it all goes horribly wrong.

I also have a beef with the idea of prayer. The people who believe there is a divine plan and the god knows everything are the same people who pray to god as if that'll change anything. Sending in requests and conveniently forgetting about the divine plan or telling god you love him as if he doesn't already know, or telling him he's good as if he doesn't already know. If god exists and is the caring and knowledgeable god you say it is prayer becomes a pointless exercise. Get off your knees and actually do something.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

well how is it you assume i assume such a thing?
if you will please?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Nope. Not a problem with God....just a problem with all the murdering, torturing, raping and pillaging done in his name.

In any given battle, each side claims to be doing the 'will of God.' Either one of them is wrong, or it's God's will for them both to be at war...too complicated for my little brain.

It doesn't seem to matter WHAT someone call their god...apparently everyone's god can be made out to condone atrocities...if you try hard enough.

So no....not a problem with God....a problem with man.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well firstly you say.

Constantly here on ATS,running into folk, who seem to have a big beef w/ the creator.
You say this as an absolute statement, one that instantly makes me ask "What creator?" or "The creator of what?" If I assume you mean a god, which you clearly do, then it's clear you are presuming the supposed god of your religion, which I'm figuring is Christianity.

You don't say "big beef w/ a creator." or "people who believe in a creator." or "the belief in a creator", etc. You just assume there is one.

You also say you will pray to this creator, making the assumption that it will listen.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

all i can say is great avatar.

:
and some what of a second line.

welfhard

Well firstly you say.
ok. thank you for posting.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What god? You mean the imaginary one or the one in the story book?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
i got no beef with the "man" or JC. we are pretty tight and i thank him for occasional miracle shot in COD4. problem i have is with organized religion and their rulebooks.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
i have no issues with god. then again, it would be counter productive to even attempt to start a argument with god.
why?
because god gets what god wants.
i have never let myself down (or those who rely on me).

cheers,
AA

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
In the Bull# Department, a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman. 'Cause I gotta tell you the truth, folks. When it comes to bull#, big-time, major league bull#, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bull# story ever told.
Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you.
He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bull# story. Holy #!

George Carlin

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Nope no problem with a God, those who worship him or those who pray to him.

I get kind of tired of seeing thread after thread after thread saying how stupid religion is though. You would think if it was so stupid they wouldn't waste their time talking about it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

How would people know that religion is so stupid if we didn't remind them?

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Ultimately it was this quote that sums it up how I feel.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” - Stephen Roberts

I've found a beauty in embracing my own ignorance, and admitting that there is no evidence.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

In the Bull# Department, a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman. 'Cause I gotta tell you the truth, folks. When it comes to bull#, big-time, major league bull#, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bull# story ever told.
reply to post by midnightbrigade

i would say the Great George Carlin.
this was his last concert. fyi he was dead w/ in 24 hrs.

rip George

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Like many on this thread, I have no problem with the concept of a super entity or being. However I do have problems with the concept that 'it' has nothing better to do with it's time than play 'doll houses' with humanity.

I wont get started on the failure that is organized religion as other members have already made sufficient comments in that area.

IRM

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I have more beef with god, then fifty with fat joe!

lol.

Well i've compiled quite the list. Here it is.

So um, I thought it'd be too long to type. I feel carpal tunnel coming on, too much texting to much typing, too much girls.

Never enough beer.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 3vilChild

Wow, for the love of god, noone quote this, please.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Why is this thread in the creationism controversy forum anyway?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

God has so many definitions. As a matter of fact, I would dare to say around 7 billion or so. Creator is a different story, I think everyone can more similarly relate to this word and I would have to say that there is a 100% chance of a creators existence. Now whether that is me, or another force outside of myself is not known but I seriously doubt the last one.

I think God exist. I believe our challenge is to perceive it, instead of search for it.

With that said, it isn't the creator that people have an issue with or even discuss all the time. It's our individual definition of the word itself, God, those it's said many different ways.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by SeeingBlue]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join