It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

But that is another conundrum.
What needs to change?

And why?

I mean, we are thinking of our personal gratification, aren't we?
A comfortable life, right?

Why?

This questioning goes both ways, really.
On the one hand you can say, if I live like a caveman, I won't have to worry about the fact that I have to witness on television the genocide in Africa.
On the other, if I continue as it is, we may see the cure for cancer.

I think the answer is that it doesn't matter.
Whatever will be will be.
It is a good thread. Too bad it will be gone tomorrow.

And I don't disagree, by the way.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
as far as the hemp as food goes... it really could solve world hunger. it can be grown in the harshest climates, where hardly any other plant could grow or survive.

now the question is... why ARENT those starving countries growing it?

That would be the US foreign policy as metted out through the IMF and World bank.

These countries want loans for development from the world bank, and one of the conditions for approving the loan (Since 1971 at least) has been to comply with the United states policy on Hemp, and all other forms of Narcotics.

This is one of the reasons why the largest growers of Industrial hemp in the world are Russia, and China.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Ah, so as always, greed is why it has been illegal for many many years now.

Not entirely surprising, is it?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

as far as the hemp as food goes... it really could solve world hunger. it can be grown in the harshest climates, where hardly any other plant could grow or survive.

now the question is... why ARENT those starving countries growing it?

I not sure but I don't think it taste that good, maybe with some proccessing, could make good hemp buger.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
edrick you are my information companion. would love to hear more

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Edrick

As I said, I understand the argument.

But the question is the context of the question.
Meaning, can hemp salvage our current life-style or are we willing to take a HUGE step backwards?

And I think the implications of such a cash-crop based living aren't really thought out by people who are shocked to realize that hemp can purify water.

It literally means the tearing down and restructuring of our entire system.

Personally, for me, I'm not sure.
One hand says burn it down. The other says but we've come so far.

Really?

Who would be suffering from the reorganization of our economy from "Multinational Centered" to "Farmer Centered"?

Only the Large profit centers would be adversely affected, and compared to the amount of money that take from the economy, they don't really employ all that many people...

Really...

A vast reorganization of our current Economic system is a REQUIREMENT for the survival of our civilization.

One cannot continue to profit endlessly on a finite planet.

Tis against the laws of Mathematics.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
well... how do you know there isnt already a cure for cancer?

heres an interesting fact to ponder. my father who lived in saipan for many years was friends with a girl whos grandfather was a well known healer/shaman not only in saipan but in china, japan, and taiwan. He, alone, had cured everything from cancers, to aids, to heart disease, to diabetes. You name it, the guy cured it. China was going to buy some of his cures for 64 million dollars, but he died shortly before the transaction went through.

This was a real man with proven cures. I will ask my dad for his name and look up information on him when I get a chance if you would like further proof.

the fact is... most illnesses and diseases can be cured, and much better through natural means.

Who says chemically made pills and treatments are the only healers?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by maus80
I'm not sure yet if anyone mentioned this, but I think possibly what everyone needs to know and think of as the biggest and most glaring reason that industrial hemp is illegal is because it's cultivation is known to heavily cross-pollinate. It would have the effect of destroying a problem with a very, very expensive solution, a solution that generates a LOT of jobs and revenue.

If it has the potential of degrading and destroying other plant life
that would completely shake things up in a big way.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by maus80]

Could you please provide a link for this claim. I'm only aware of hemp being able to cross pollinate with actual marijuana. Usually cross pollination only occurs by plants of a similar species. Example, if you plant different kinds of squash too close together you can get hybrid varieties via cross pollination.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

Eh, I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Sure, we could push for these things to be resolved, but it will come at a great cost.
Like it or not, we live in a fascist system. All across the planet.

When we usurp fascism, we will go backwards.
We will start over.
So, which do you want?
Are you so pissed at the system that you are willing to reset it?

If so, do you believe that your great-grandchildren won't face similar problems?

History has shown that through all revolution corruption follows.
How do we break that?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

Originally posted by maus80
I'm not sure yet if anyone mentioned this, but I think possibly what everyone needs to know and think of as the biggest and most glaring reason that industrial hemp is illegal is because it's cultivation is known to heavily cross-pollinate. It would have the effect of destroying a problem with a very, very expensive solution, a solution that generates a LOT of jobs and revenue.

If it has the potential of degrading and destroying other plant life
that would completely shake things up in a big way.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by maus80]

Could you please provide a link for this claim. I'm only aware of hemp being able to cross pollinate with actual marijuana. Usually cross pollination only occurs by plants of a similar species. Example, if you plant different kinds of squash too close together you can get hybrid varieties via cross pollination.

Exactly...

Speciation (The taxonomic divisions between species) are classified as organisms that have no cross reproductive capacity.

Saying that Hemp could cross pollinate with anything outside of its species, is completely ignoring what the classification of "Species" even means.

It. Can't. Happen.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
its a good question to ask how we will break that cycle... but we never know the answer until we really try.

we didnt live back then, we dont know what really happened... but we do know whats happening today, and we can break the cycles were in if we want to. but enough people need to want it, or else it'll never happen

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Here are the Benefits of Hemp.

Hemp House

www.harbay.net...

Health Benefits

www.nahanniriverherbs.com...

Hemp Hearts in comparison with other foods:

*Contains more required amino acids (proteins) than milk, meat or eggs.
* Is a complete protein rich source, much more balanced and digestible than Soy products.
* Contains about 47% oil, 78% of which is omega 3 and 6 , the essential fats.
* Has all the essential or omega fats required for human health.
* Contains several times more omega 3 essential fat than any fish.
* Provides more energy than energy bars, without their sugar and with much less saturated fat.
* They are suitable for those unable to eat gluten, sugar, nuts, and meat.
* Excellent for those troubled with constipation.
* Perfect for those avoiding carbohydrates.

Growing Hemp

www.natural-environment.com...

Here are some of the major environmental benefits of growing hemp:

* Fast and robust growth: Hemp grows extremely fast and can be grown in any climate, in any agronomic system
* No herbicides/pesticides required: Hemp can be grown with no (or little) herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, or other biocides.
* Suppresses weeds: Hemp is a natural weed suppressor due to the fast growth of the canopy. Actually, hemp is a weed. Because it grows so fast and densely, it blocks out sunlight to other weeds that are trying to grow.
* Improves soil structure: Due to it’s long roots, hemp replenishes soil with nutrients and nitrogen and helps control erosion of topsoil. Also, once harvested, any residue can act as an eco-friendly manure.
* Hemp produces lots of oxygen: Hemp produces the same amount of oxygen while it’s growing that it would use in carbon dioxide if burned as a fuel. Also, due to it’s leaf/root ratio (this can often be 10% roots vs 30% leaves), hemp can produce between 20% - 40% more oxygen than will be polluted.
* Cleans up pollution: Hemp can actually clean up toxins from the ground. This process is called phytoremediation. A good example of this is when hemp was used to help clean up the Chernobyl nuclear disaster site to remove radioactive elements from the ground.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I'm not even going to question your story as it doesn't matter. In fact, I'll accept it 100%.

It actually makes me ponder even more.
You see, if the system is powerful enough to suppress these cures as it stands now, just imagine how powerful the system would become if you tried to cut it at its throat?

More than likely that was simply the pharmaceutical industry that isolated the man in your story.
In the suggestion, you now have the textile industry, the chemical industry, the pharmaceutical industry all combined under the umbrella of the Government itself.

Cast all of those aside and you have nearly nothing.
Nothing to build on.
Not for a long, long time.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
this is simple

absolutely hemp could truly transform the human way of life

this topic has been debated since it was banned and no matter what proof is given to prove that, there are always the corrupt idiots, or simply brainwashed, misinformed, misled fools that will say otherwise

even obama gives no respect to even the question of the situation, he simply insults those who ask

except if you are blind and deaf, you can pretty much see the obvious corruption in the situation

in my opinion this will not change within the next 20+ years without a serious revolution to be fully realistic i dont see it happening legally without revolution for at least 50 years once our other sources are fully consumed and gone

a revolution will not take place solely for this situation, it would have to be a revolution that was tackling many other issues that through this into their beliefs, but if revolution or civil war happens, in todays technology we would have a lot more to worry about then the damages from having hemp banned

here on ats alone there have been numerous pages of facts and intellectual reasonings for why we should legalize hemp

and time and time again those pages disappear, i am truly shocked this topic thread is still here

i am not saying ats is part of the conspiracy, but between the t&c, and immature people who turn the discussion into drugs, there is always the reason needed to make these topics disappear, or simply saboteurs who come on and say the wrong things in a effort to close these threads, they always seem to disappear

it would be great to see a debate on this actually achieve something or go somewhere

but seemingly every-time the question comes up, it disappears just as fast, or is ridiculed until the situation is completely off topic

maybe ill be suprised soon though, maybe the people will smarten up and elect officials that will do what the people want and actually listen to the people

then maybe we will all be shocked and someone might begin the legalization process

but unfortunately in a realistic situation i dont see the government tackling hemp or marijuana separately, it is always lumped into the same basket which makes it a very hard case to present and get people to listen to, even here on ats, if marijuana is simply referenced the wrong way the entire thread will disappear, and thats here on a website that is able to discuss some truly outlandish things

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Edrick

Eh, I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Sure, we could push for these things to be resolved, but it will come at a great cost.
Like it or not, we live in a fascist system. All across the planet.

When we usurp fascism, we will go backwards.
We will start over.
So, which do you want?
Are you so pissed at the system that you are willing to reset it?

If so, do you believe that your great-grandchildren won't face similar problems?

History has shown that through all revolution corruption follows.
How do we break that?

THAT, is an excellent question.

The very problem of corruption following any revolt that is designed and instituted to destroy corruption, is a part of human instinct.

The Ego, namely...

That part of the human animal that sees itself as separate from its environment.

It is a survival mechanism (Used to be, at least) and is detrimental to actual societies.

I would say a healthy dose of Education on Who we are, as a species, and how our minds work (Being honest with ourselves) would be the best prevenative measure for this.

But, yes... I get your point.

But the thing is... our current economy, and civilization has absolutely nothing to do with how profitable certain corporations are.

The disparage of wealth between the haves, and the have nots is a direct indicator of the SICKNESS of our society.

The economy is not money, or profit... it is PEOPLE, and their will to work.

If corporations collapse, people still can work, still need things, etc..

Plants still grow, the sun still shines.

Civilization is not dependent upon profit.

Profit is dependent upon civilization.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Dramey, well sure these things couldnt happen without some sort of revolution tackling a lot of issues... but.. in my honest opinion i think we are getting closer to that point. it may not happen for a long time, maybe not even while we are alive, but if we can at least work towards steps to it RIGHT NOW and maybe have our childrens and grandchildrens lives a little better because of the work we put in... isnt that worth it?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

its a good question to ask how we will break that cycle... but we never know the answer until we really try.

we didnt live back then, we dont know what really happened... but we do know whats happening today, and we can break the cycles were in if we want to. but enough people need to want it, or else it'll never happen

i havent had the chance to read this whole thread, but saw this from you and just wanted to touch on one thing

as much as i to believe if enough people work together we can change things

the number needed to = enough people seems to be growing exponentially

even now there are elected officials who are publicly stating that they will not listen to the public opinion and will do only what they want to do

so it seems now the only way to change things is to find a way to get the people to elect the right person, and sometimes it seems no matter who you vote for, there arent any candidates running that will or can do the right thing, thats what worries me now, we really need a new breed of politicians, mainly people who are not politicians, yet are responsible enough to the constitution to make the right decisions

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Dramey, well sure these things couldnt happen without some sort of revolution tackling a lot of issues... but.. in my honest opinion i think we are getting closer to that point. it may not happen for a long time, maybe not even while we are alive, but if we can at least work towards steps to it RIGHT NOW and maybe have our childrens and grandchildrens lives a little better because of the work we put in... isnt that worth it?

it sure is worth it and i fully agree and support pretty much everything ive read that you've said so far (still have to read the rest of the thread though)

im glad you made this thread, its about time someone on ats took the chance to make this kind of thread again, i just hope it stays up long enough to start taking a few of those steps you're talking about

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
yep, youre right. politicians these days are more corrupt than ever and it seems like no matter what way we vote... they are all the same. they dont listen to the people, they listen to themselves and what THEY want.

but theres a lot more of us than them... we need enough people to be willing to fight back and let them know were not gonna stand for it. people need to stop driving their cars, stop buying useless products, stop buying from the big corporations... bruise those systems and they will be forced to change.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join