It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

3) When an energy crop is growing, it takes carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air, and releases an equal amount when it is burned, creating a balanced system, unlike petroleum fuels, which only release CO2. When an energy crop like hemp is grown on a massive scale, it will initially lower the CO2 in the air, and then stabilize it at a level lower than before the planting of the energy crop.

We have to be careful of lowering the CO2 level. Geologically we are in a CO2 starved era.
Plants stop growing at 220 PPM and die at 180PPM Green houses often use 1000PPM to "fertilize" plants. Increasing CO2 causes plants to use less water and be more drought resistant.

Of course Cap and Trade is a great way of fleecing the public, just like the Fed is. Nothing is really accomplished except making Americans pay Al Gore and Maurice Strong a fee for using energy just as we head into a mini Ice age

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Sorry OP, but I am a bit ticked that mine was removed and yours stays. There is no free speech in America and especially not on ATS.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by sligtlyskeptical]

im sorry... im not sure why mine would still be up and yours got taken off. but lets not get this one kicked off too by being bitter. people are enjoying talking about this and maybe the moderators are feeling generous today, who knows.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Problem is, "hemp" isn't illegal around the planet and that considering, no, it can't "save the planet."

Aside from that, it isn't likely to be legalized in the US in the forseeable future.
Too many vested interests stand to lose big time if that were to happen.

I mean, I understand the argument.
Lets "really go green". But in reality, the prospect would drive mankind backwards quite a ways.

Big Business would shudder at the core at such a thought of introducing a cash-crop like hemp. It would "levelise the playing-field". The little guy would triumph in time over the chemical companies because his product is just better. Thousands of jobs would be lost in this process and we would have to restructure.

This would not only be hard-fought against vested interests (and I mean very hard-fought) but the current economic system would be destablized. Your mom's retirement fund.

Plus, this thread won't exist this time tomorrow. Think about that.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hemp is not Illegal technically speaking, but you do need a permit to grow it.

Why?

www.industrialhemp.net...

5. Q: Is industrial hemp illegal to grow in the United States?
A: Technically the answer is no, it is not illegal to grow hemp in the U.S. and it has only been in its current state since the adoption of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in 1970. Tara Christine Brady noted this in her 2003 story "The Argument for the Legalization of Industrial Hemp" in the San Joaquin Agricultural Law Review:

"Currently it is illegal to grow hemp in the United States without a special Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) permit being issued."

Jean Rawson, of the Congressional Research Service, also noted this in her 2005 CRS Report "Hemp as an Agricultural Commodity" for the U.S. Congress:

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Hemp is considered an illegal narcotic in the United States. I started a thread on recent studies of the correlation of cancer and pot smoking. My thread was removed immediately. Why is this one still standing? A double standard at ATS?

Sorry OP, but I am a bit ticked that mine was removed and yours stays. There is no free speech in America and especially not on ATS.

sent: 18-8-2009 at 12:01 AM
It was necessary to move a thread you created titled, If Pot Prevented Cancer You would read about it, Right? which was originally posted in the Medical Issues & Conspiracies forum, to the Trash Bin forum. masqua has initiated this action, and included this message about it:

From the Terms & Conditions:

2e.i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by sligtlyskeptical]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
well... in all honesty... dont you think we need to go backwards a little bit?

i mean the world all relies on these huge businesses now that dont care about their workers, dont produce quality goods, and take away from the mom and pop shops and local farmers

we need to go BACK to a simpler lifestyle if anything, not stay on the path we are on.

sure, producing hemp might make those larger companies suffer, but who really cares? they arent doing anything good for us anyways, only taking our money and laughing all the way to the bank

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Matijuana is also legal if you get a tax stamp for it. Problem is they don't give them out. Growing hemp without goverment permission is just as illegal as growing A Marijuana without a tax stamp. Just calling a spade a spade here. The rules need to be the same for everyone on this website and they are clearly not.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Sure we need to go backwards a bit.
But that is a slippery slope.
Too much is reliant on what IS, in the NOW.
You take away one thing and a domino effect follows.
That is what keeps this farce of a system afloat!

I mean, I could easily reword your thread and say "Would Neglecting Going to Your Place of Work Save the Planet?"
In the long-term... yes. Because we would starve the same system you are complaining about, but in the short-term, we would be cavemen.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
well tax stamps are not easy to obtain either, so that furthers the whole issue.

as far as the site, it might be because you talked about pot and not hemp. im not sure... but regardless, lets not keep focusing on that right now.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Hemp is not Illegal technically speaking, but you do need a permit to grow it.

Why?

www.industrialhemp.net...

5. Q: Is industrial hemp illegal to grow in the United States?
A: Technically the answer is no, it is not illegal to grow hemp in the U.S. and it has only been in its current state since the adoption of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in 1970. Tara Christine Brady noted this in her 2003 story "The Argument for the Legalization of Industrial Hemp" in the San Joaquin Agricultural Law Review:

"Currently it is illegal to grow hemp in the United States without a special Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) permit being issued."

Jean Rawson, of the Congressional Research Service, also noted this in her 2005 CRS Report "Hemp as an Agricultural Commodity" for the U.S. Congress:

The fact that there are restrictions regarding the cultivation of hemp in the first place should tell you all that you need to know.

Why in God's name would you need licensed approval at all?

[edit on 18-8-2009 by astrij]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
hah well.. sometimes i think we would be better off as cavemen. i mean, you can only invent so many things, use up so many resources, charge so much money... until you come to a breaking point, where people will not stand for it anymore, and i think we are coming close to that breaking point.

people need to live a simple life if we stand any chance of getting this country back to basics and back to what it was founded on.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The Real Reason or Realtruth Hemp is illegal to grow without a permit in the USA.

And some cool facts on Hemp.

www.venusproject.com...

All schoolbooks were made from hemp or flax paper until the 1880s; Hemp Paper Reconsidered, Jack Frazier, 1974.

It was LEGAL TO PAY TAXES WITH HEMP in America from 1631 until the early 1900s; LA Times, August 12, 1981.

REFUSING TO GROW HEMP in America during the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries WAS AGAINST THE LAW! You could be jailed in Virginia for refusing to grow hemp from 1763 to 1769; Hemp in Colonial Virginia, G. M. Herdon.

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other founding fathers GREW HEMP; Washington and Jefferson Diaries. Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China to France then to America.

Benjamin Franklin owned one of the first paper mills in America and it processed hemp. Also, the War of 1812 was fought over hemp. Napoleon wanted to cut off Moscow's export to England; Emperor Wears No Clothes, Jack Herer.

For thousands of years, 90% of all ships' sails and rope were made from hemp. The word 'canvas' is Dutch for hemp; Webster's New World Dictionary.

80% of all textiles, fabrics, clothes, linen, drapes, bed sheets, etc. were made from hemp until the 1820s with the introduction of the cotton gin.

The first Bibles, maps, charts, Betsy Ross's flag, the first drafts of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were made from hemp; U.S. Government Archives.

The first crop grown in many states was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for Kentucky producing 40,000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop until the 20th Century; State Archives.

Oldest known records of hemp farming go back 8000 years in Persia. Hemp industrialization began 5000 years ago in Central Asia and North Africa, in ancient Persia, China and Egypt.

Rembrandts, Gainsborough's, Van Gogh's as well as most early canvas paintings were principally painted on hemp linen.

In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees. Plans were in the works to implement such programs; Department of Agriculture.

Now why it is illegal.

Hemp, or cannabis, or marijuana was outlawed in 1937 because it threatened the nation-less corporate interests of - William Randolph Hearst ­ and - DuPont. They had to get rid of the competition. - Hearst's yellow journalism newspaper chain wrote scathing stories about "marijuana" - a word he made up - because he knew no one would believe them about hemp, which George Washington himself grew hemp.

The decorticator, a state of the art hemp harvester, led Popular Mechanics to call hemp the New Billion Dollar Crop. - - Because of printing and bindery lead time required for publication, this February 1938 article was actually prepared in the spring of 1937, when cannabis hemp was still legal to grow and was an incredibly fast-growing industry. - - Newsprint could now be produced far more cheaply than any other method, and one acre of hemp could produce as much newsprint as four acres of forest trees. - Hearst owned vast timber acreage and competition from the hemp industry might have driven his paper manufacturing out of business. He stood to lose millions of dollars.

DuPont stood to lose on two fronts. DuPont owned the patent for converting wood pulp into newsprint and supplied Hearst with the necessary chemicals. Secondly, in the 1930s DuPont was gearing up to introduce nylon and other man-made fibers, along with synthetic petrochemical oils, which they hoped would replace hemp see oil used in paints and other products. The decorticator meant that hemp fibers could be manufactured as fine as any man-made fibers. DuPont would lose untold millions of invested dollars, plus an estimated 80 percent of all future business, unless hemp was outlawed.

DuPont's financial backer was Mellon Bank, owned and chaired by Andrew Mellon. - - Andrew Mellon at the time was also Secretary of Treasury Department, which was in charge of drug taxes - -, i.e., prohibition - -. Harry Anslinger, commissioners of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, which answered to the Treasury Department, was married to Andrew Mellon's niece. Thus they had the power and the means. - Anslinger's lies about hemp were repeated endlessly in Hearst's newspapers. Stories about marijuana, the killer weed from Mexico, instilled fear and completely misled the public that the weed was, in fact, just good old hemp.

Cannabis hemp was not prohibited because it was dangerous. Indeed, for thousands of years it was the world's largest agricultural crop used in thousands of products and enterprises, producing the majority of fiber, fabric, lighting oil, paper, incense, medicine and food. - No, cannabis hemp was prohibited to protect the Hearst and DuPont corporations from devastating competition, as well as appealing to the overt racism stirred up by Hearst's yellow journalism.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

This is a conundrum.
Yeah, in one sense it would be nice to live off of the land and be simple.
On the other, boy!... I look at those stars and think: "I NEED to go there."

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Yes that's how good ole George Washington and Thomas Jefferson made there money selling Hemp to the Navy.

If it was good enought for good ole George and Thomas, It's good enough for me.
Now just covence everyone else.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

This is a conundrum.
Yeah, in one sense it would be nice to live off of the land and be simple.
On the other, boy!... I look at those stars and think: "I NEED to go there."

haha well... if you went to a star though youd burn

i get your point. but how long can we really keep this up?

something has to change, for people, for the environment.. we need to change it now.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Did you know, it is estimated that hemp has approximately 25,000 uses? From food, paint and fuel to clothing and construction materials, hemp is used. There are even hemp fibres in your Red Rose® and Lipton® tea bags. And several cars made today contain hemp.

The oldest relic of human industry is a piece of hemp fabric (canvas) found in ancient Mesopotamia dating back to approximately 8000 B.C. The oldest surviving piece of paper was made over 2000 years ago in China and was also made from hemp fibre. In 2500 B.C. the pharaohs used hemp in the construction of the great pyramids.

Hemp was so important in England in the 16th century that King Henry VIII passed a law in 1553 which fined farmers who failed to grow at least one quarter acre of hemp for every 60 acres of arable land they owned. There was even a time in history for over 200 years when you could pay your taxes in America with hemp. In 1850 there were more than 8,300 hemp farms in the United States.

Every 3.6 seconds someone in the world dies of hunger. Hemp seeds are the most nutritious and economical solution to end world hunger. With an 80 percent concentration of "good fats" our bodies need for good health maintenance and protein with all eight amino acids plus optimum dietary fibre, hemp truly is a "perfect balance" food source. Health Benefits of Hemp Seed >>

Nature has provided the essential nutrients for restoring and maintaining optimal health in a power-packed seed that is gluten, cholesterol and sugar free. Pure, natural, raw shelled hemp seed - the best single food source of protein, essential fats, vitamins and enzymes on the planet. Health Benefits of Hemp Seed >>

Nature has provided the essential nutrients for restoring and maintaining optimal health in a power-packed seed that is gluten, cholesterol and sugar free. Pure, natural, raw shelled hemp seed - the best single food source of protein, essential fats, vitamins and enzymes on the planet.
Online source of hemp foods: www.healing-source.com...

The first diesel engine was designed to run on vegetable oils, one of which was hemp oil. In the 1930s Henry Ford produced an automobile composed of 70 percent hemp plastic which also ran on hemp based fuel and oil. In 2001 the "Hempcar" circled the North American continent powered by hemp oil.

The paintings of Rembrandt (1606- 1669), Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890) and Thomas Gainsborough (1727- 1788) were painted primarily on hemp canvas, often with hemp oil based paint. Over 50 percent of all chemical pesticides sprayed are used in the cultivation of cotton. Hemp is eight times stronger than cotton and more air-permeable. Hemp can grow vigorously (up to 16 feet) in 100 days without the use of harmful pesticides and herbicides... healthier for your skin and the environment.

One acre of hemp can produce as much raw fibre as 4.1 acres of trees. Pulping hemp for paper would produce a strong paper that lasts incredibly long and doesn't yellow with age. Also, using hemp as a raw source for paper would eliminate the need to cut down our dwindling old-growth forests which contribute to climate control and clean the air we breathe.

Source: www.coolhemp.com...
The Marijuana Conspiracy
THE REAL REASON HEMP IS ILLEGAL

by Doug Yurchey

Online sales of hemp foods: www.healing-source.com

And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more
consumed with hunger in the land. -- Ezekiel 34/29
The real reason Cannabis has been outlawed has nothing to do with its effects on the mind and body

[edit on 18-8-2009 by baddmove]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

no, it can't "save the planet."

Sure it can.

Hemp production would cut the deforestation of old growth forests, helping to preserve biodeversity.

Hemp collects more CO2 from the atmosphere quicker than a like amount of trees.

Hemp seed is a high protein food stuff that can supplant corn for livestock feed, and uses less soil minerals and water than corn.

Hemp construction materials (HempCrete) have FAR better insulating properties than traditional building materials (Energy Savings)

Hemp can replace Non-Biodegradable plastics for food packaging and other uses (Hemp oil Plastic)

(See Also: Plastic Vortex)

Hemp can be used for clothing manufacturing, instead of cotton (Cotton uses FAR more water than hemp for the same ammount of material.)

Hemp can be grown literally anywhere.

Hemp's taproot reaches beneath topsoil to bring minerals necessary for plant growth to the surface, and can be used to reclaim desert regions.

Yes... Hemp can save the world.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
as far as the hemp as food goes... it really could solve world hunger. it can be grown in the harshest climates, where hardly any other plant could grow or survive.

now the question is... why ARENT those starving countries growing it?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

As I said, I understand the argument.

But the question is the context of the question.
Meaning, can hemp salvage our current life-style or are we willing to take a HUGE step backwards?

And I think the implications of such a cash-crop based living aren't really thought out by people who are shocked to realize that hemp can purify water.

It literally means the tearing down and restructuring of our entire system.

Personally, for me, I'm not sure.
One hand says burn it down. The other says but we've come so far.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

You didn't understand what the Mod said, if it pertains to a mind altering substances.

Hemp is not.

It is also illegal to grow tobacco commercially without a government stamp.

And hemp is sold commercially everywhere in the USA.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Edrick

As I said, I understand the argument.

But the question is the context of the question.
Meaning, can hemp salvage our current life-style or are we willing to take a HUGE step backwards?

And I think the implications of such a cash-crop based living aren't really thought out by people who are shocked to realize that hemp can purify water.

It literally means the tearing down and restructuring of our entire system.

Personally, for me, I'm not sure.
One hand says burn it down. The other says but we've come so far.

and thats exactly the point. people have to decide what is more important... nice things and spending a lot of money... or making sacrifices but for the better of mankind

it is tough for many though, and i understand that. heck, hollywood and nyc would be a blast trying to convince to go backwards but.. nothing is impossible and if we choose to, we can have a better world. or we can remain how we are in our false security while the world around us comes tumbling down

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join