It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
People miss the forest for the trees in this argument.
Look, there is no doubt that legalization of industrial hemp will create job growth.
However, what it will also create is an isolationist policy nearly across the globe, and this is only accepting the people will WANT to buy hemp vs. silk.

IMMEDIATELY - Dow chemical goes bankrupt; Hanes does the same.

IMMEDIATELY - African nations that are sickly begin to bring themselves up as they realize they can use hemp-stalk to purify their disgusting water.

IMMEDIATELY - The Big Oil companies see massive demand-cuts as Farmer Joe from Oletha, Kansas is producing TONS of hemp oil to run diesel motors...
ETC.

Now, all of these job losses could be recouped by people working in the industry, making it a cash crop. BUT the problem is that this can be duplicated across the planet.
Talk about stagnation.
We have just lost our entire trade system.

And like I said, this is accepting that the majority of people want to even buy in. Personally, I like a nice silk shirt.
They feel good.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
well thats exactly what weve been talking about throughout this whole post... the fact that the government and large companies wont allow it.. which is why people need to not give a crap what they say, stop buying things, and bruise their system.

of course they dont care what we, the people, actually want. they could care less.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

The clothing industry doesn't like Nikes that last 20 years.

Suddenly those Nikes cost 700 bucks.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i agree that hemp should be legal.. honestly there is nothing wrong with it. I even think it's cousin should be legal its a good medicine as well. im half seminole indian and there are so many medicines my grandmother makes from it when someone in the fam is sick and it works great and my fiancee is aztec indian and her entire family uses it for medicine and make tea from it. so they should both definately be legal. they would both help out the economy sooo much as well.

edited to add and cannabis can not kill you. no ne has ever died from using cannabis which is another good reason it works well for medications.!!! does anyone else agree with this?

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Kurotachi]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by maus80

Originally posted by calihan_12
yeah thats what many fail to realize. yes, we would be putting the bigger corps out of business...

but think of all the jobs hemp production would create! the jobs are endless really. ENDLESS.

You keep mentioning corporations that stand to lose out, but you completely skirt around the fact that there are a huge number of state and federal jobs, and a huge amount of funding and income that could be greatly effected by widespread legal growth of industrial hemp, especially in relation to it's ability to cross-pollinate. It has huge implications that can't really be discussed here at ATS, but this is a key factor at the root of your opposition, and I believe is the key factor.

Please source your claim that Hemp can cross pollinate onto other plants. This is the second time in this thread that you have made this claim and you have not provided a source. I have never heard this and my education, tells me it is false. Please do not perpetuate false information.

Thank You

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
nikes, a silk shirt?!? you def like your posessions i see. but ... are they really worth it?

i mean sure a silk shirt feels nice, but did you know hemp can be used as a silk like fabric, and is just as cozy?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Yes, I understand your position completely.

Here is my position.

We are not here to serve the interests of the Government.

The government is here to serve the interests of the people.

Once the Government begins asserting its desires over those of the populous, at the EXPENSE of the populous....

Read the Declaration of Independence for more on this subject.

Technically, the federal government does not have the right to regulate agricultural crops, as the 10th amendment states, if there is nothing in the constitution, or its enumeration granting the federal government that power, then the federal government does not HAVE that power.

And as the 9th amendment states, the constitution shall not be enumerated to TAKE rights from the people.

So, the federal mandate against the growing of hemp has no legal basis anyways.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Some of your ideas I just so don't agree with, but I am standing right beside you on this one. Good post.

It is like saying we can't eat or talk about mushrooms because of well, another fungus that is a lot like it.

Harm None
Peace

edit to add one more idea. LOL

[edit on 19-8-2009 by amazed]

link   
Great post. I'd like to second your analysis. In addition, anything grown from the seeds of the Earth should be legal for consumption in a private setting. It is a violation of the Bill of Rights as well as Natural Law to make any seed of the Earth illegal for consumption. That goes for mushrooms and payote as well of which has been used for ceremonial purposes and for accessing valuable subconscious states/modes of thought for eons.

The Truth is, the pharmaceutical and textile industries have lobbied tirelessly to make hemp and marijuana illegal for $$$.

There are 5000 year + graves with hemp and marijuana included with one's burial and for good reason.

It's all about Big business and Big profit for those who are small who wish to be Big. One cannot litigate against the Truth. Truth always prevails in the End and the emperors/tyrants are always found to wear no clothes in their End. They never had peace anyhow...by design. Their time is to come soon enough. Enjoy the afterMath.

Let us not forget, Moderation in all things.

Who owns you?
You.

Society
came to mind...makes one wonder?

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Perseus Apex]

link   
edrick, exactly

we shouldnt be living our lives to please the government.

they should be doing the job they were put there to do, and give us what WE want for a change.

i cant even believe some people argue against that. sure go a., hand all your freedoms to someone who doesnt care about you

link   

I don't wear silk shirts and my only pair of Nikes are like 10 years old and don't fit.
You missed the point.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
People miss the forest for the trees in this argument.
Look, there is no doubt that legalization of industrial hemp will create job growth.
However, what it will also create is an isolationist policy nearly across the globe, and this is only accepting the people will WANT to buy hemp vs. silk.

IMMEDIATELY - African nations that are sickly begin to bring themselves up as they realize they can use hemp-stalk to purify their disgusting water.

IMMEDIATELY - The Big Oil companies see massive demand-cuts as Farmer Joe from Oletha, Kansas is producing TONS of hemp oil to run diesel motors...
ETC.

Now, all of these job losses could be recouped by people working in the industry, making it a cash crop. BUT the problem is that this can be duplicated across the planet.
Talk about stagnation.

And like I said, this is accepting that the majority of people want to even buy in. Personally, I like a nice silk shirt.
They feel good.

I understand that there are companies that are trying to prevent hemp from being legalized but I think many of those companies who oppose it, would in fact be the first to adopt it if it were legalized. Hanes would start making Hemp underwear. and Dow Chemical would start processing hemp oil, fibers, etc into something it was never meant to be. On a side note, Dow Chemical might go out of business without the legalization of hemp. They are struggling big time right now.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

I don't wear silk shirts and my only pair of Nikes are like 10 years old and don't fit.
You missed the point.

you sure are a handful, let me tell you. i thought you said you enjoyed your silk shirts!

well nonetheless, if i missed your point, please inform me of what you meant

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

How soon most forget the Birth Certificate of our USA. DOI

And the fact that the government has no authority to regulate agricultural crops.

Thanks for the reminder.

Going on this basis any current regulation is unconstitutional, base on the highest authority in our land.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

No, both of these companies will change their manufacturing and marketing policies to incorperate hemp and hemp oils into their products.

Good.

Not really... the time it takes to make hemp oil is prohibitive for the usage in a large scale industrial society.

We just use oil too fast to supplant it with vegetable oils of any kind.

BUT the problem is that this can be duplicated across the planet.
Talk about stagnation.

Technology (semicondocturs)
Computers
Information services
Heavy machinery
Software
Etc, etc, etc

We have plenty of industries left that will not be effected.

Personally, I like a nice silk shirt.

We are not talking about prohibiting any competition for hemp... we are talking about adding that choice to consumer markets.

That is all.

-Edrick

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Edrick]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

No, hanes WOULDN'T make hemp underwear.
Why?
Because you only need like 3 pair to last a life-time.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

It was an illustration that if you weren't following, you would have missed.
2nd line.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
haha, thats a good point. hanes would lose some profits but.. if they lost money anyways because no one bought their other products.. theyd still be winning.

its "sell some hemp undies, but less of them since they last longer" or "go out of business completely"

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

Dow Chemical would lose too much in way of the pesticides they make for the cotton industry.
Why? Because the soil in cotton crops needs to be regularly treated with pesticides and "soil enrichment" products made by Dow.

I agree that it would be good to prop up the African Nations. The government doesn't.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Excellent thread, F&S from me, please mods dont bring this one down!
I cant add anything to the uses of hemp seeing that pretty much all I know has been covered very well. The only input I can put in is how to bring about the freedom to grow, use and trade hemp. Unfortunately I cannot see how anything will change with the greedy selfish mindset we all seem to possess in one form or another. Only a mass global movement by the majority of the worlds population would effect such a change and it would require a total dismantling of the control structures inherent in all modern civilisations. Most would not even entertain such a notion.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join