It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12

Originally posted by Chovy
Nobody likes to mention that hemp can also kill you.

umm... im curious as to where you get your false information from?

Well, according to the authorities in the US, you'd need to ingest 1/4 of your own body weight - at once - for it to become toxic to your system, which is physically impossible. However, even the common potato in a sufficient amount, can cause a toxic response, as it contains the glycoalkaloids solanine and chaconine.

As quoted by the DEA Chief Administrative, Law Judge Francis L. Young on September 6, 1988 -

14. By contrast, marijuana's therapeutic ratio, like its LD-50,
is impossible to quantify because it is so high.

15. In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many
foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can
result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible
to eat enough marijuana to induce death.

Link to the Schaffer Drug Library

I would think that the only way hemp could have caused a death, is if the grower wove it into a stylish and sturdy rope, fashioned a fancy noose and leaped from a tree branch. Perhaps we should attribute three branches to these deaths!!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
OK so I haven't read every single response on the OP but it is frightening to see the ignorance that prevails about hemp to this day ... more of the ilk that believe and advocate some of the utter nonsense they hear about a particular subject.

Watch my lips ... HEMP HAS NO DRUG PROPERTIES!!

While they are of the same family, industrial hemp and marijuana are not the same thing. Marijuana contains somewhere between 5 and 20% delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) ... which is the substance that causes a high ... whereas hemp contains virtually nothing of this and can't make you high.

That said, there are of course problems associated with growing industrial hemp freely and making sure that the THC levels remain negligible. Here in South Africa, some test farms were authorized and it was found that while one might start out with the pure industrial (THC'less) strain of hemp, one could eventually end up with "tainted offspring" that does contain higher levels of THC.

Marijuana pollen can pollenate hemp plants and it thus follows that if this happens, the hybrid plants will contain increasingly more quantities of THC. The test farms pretty much failed for this reason and for this reason only ... Imagine farm laborers (toking up marijuana joints to help make their day more pleasant while working in the fields) indiscriminately discarding seeds amongst the industrial hemp plants ... you do the math

So, in order to ensure that industrial hemp remains industrial hemp, one would have to place strict control measures in place to minimize the risk of your hemp crop turning into marijuana crop ... much like they do at diamond or gold mines.

Believe me ... if this kind of venture was sanctioned by the PTB, there is not only oodles of tax money to made from hemp ... probably more than form any other cash crop currently being cultivated ... but there is also the opportunity for creating jobs and a huge range of far better quality products (as has described by others on this thread) than we have become accustomed to.

S&F

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
As far as Hemp cross-pollinating with it's other cousin, it can happen in Nature unassisted very easily. Matter of fact, Hemp will cross-pollinate up to a 12km radius. However, the hybrid is an inferior non-heritage Hemp product with less than 0.3% THC. In actuality, Hemp is a deterrent to it's other cousin as it basically makes it's cousin extinct in that area within one harvest.
[edit on 19-8-2009 by fraterormus]

Can you back up this information? A lot of people in this thread do not know or have a hard time believing that this is prevented with tax dollars.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psyagra
Believe me ... if this kind of venture was sanctioned by the PTB, there is not only oodles of tax money to made from hemp ... probably more than form any other cash crop currently being cultivated ... but there is also the opportunity for creating jobs and a huge range of far better quality products (as has described by others on this thread) than we have become accustomed to.
S&F

I'm glad you brought up the reverse of what I discussed, I hadn't touched on that and it is a major issue for advocates of industrial hemp.

As far as what you are saying about money, power, and opportunity - those are all already owned in this area by everyone from huge multinational corporations, enforcement agencies, to the judicial system, and have been for a long time. Good luck taking control of them back.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

AMEN!!!! If we could get an airplane and just drop a #load of seeds over a bunch of deserts we could do a lot of good.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This is a great topic! I was already kind of interested in hemp, but this is pretty much going to force me to look into it. I'm always excited to hear about 'miracle' plants. Isn't it great when a plant, which grows naturally, can do many things?

I'd say another great plant, not MIRACLE plant per se, is the rice plant. The best part of it is that it pollinates itself, and we all know rice is very much edible. It's actually quite high in calories, so if there was very low chance of pollination for plants, we would still have rice. Also, I'm sure rice can do other things. Like rice paper, edible paper!

In my mind, any plant can do a lot of things if one experiments with it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by maus80

Originally posted by fraterormus
As far as Hemp cross-pollinating with it's other cousin, it can happen in Nature unassisted very easily. Matter of fact, Hemp will cross-pollinate up to a 12km radius. However, the hybrid is an inferior non-heritage Hemp product with less than 0.3% THC. In actuality, Hemp is a deterrent to it's other cousin as it basically makes it's cousin extinct in that area within one harvest.
[edit on 19-8-2009 by fraterormus]

Can you back up this information? A lot of people in this thread do not know or have a hard time believing that this is prevented with tax dollars.

Yes sir, yes sir I can.

Hemp and Marijuana: Myths and Realities by David P. West, Ph.D. for the North American Industrial Hemp Council

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Here in South Africa we can buy Hemp products I have always used the lip conditioner in winter. It works like a charm

Here is a link

www.thebodyshop.co.za...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
nicely put. it certinaly is mind altering when you think about it in that way

I just wish there were more discussions like this, out in the open where facts are plenty and the pro's far outweigh the con's.

There are a few places on the web that discuss the merits of Hemp as opposed to it's relative, but almost all fall into the trap ATS has measures setup to prevent (As SO mentioned).

You talk to the average person on the street about hemp, and all they hear is woodstock and hippy logic, while they make jokes about smoking your jeans.

I hope this thread stays - as a testimony that the logic behind this argument CAN stand on it's own merit, and not succumb to the personal anecdotes that often hinder it.

Cheers for the OP anyway !!

S&F

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Little more on Hemp and not it's Psycho active variant Cannabis.

en.wikipedia.org...

**Snip**

Hemp is one of the fastest growing biomasses known,[6] producing upto 25 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year[7], and one of the earliest domesticated plants known.[8] For a crop, hemp is relatively environmentally friendly as it requires few pesticides[9] and no herbicides.[10]

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Good god thats impressive, Now im thinking where can I get me some of it (I especially like the results of taking hemp hearts, been feeling rather un-energized as of late). Heh no herbicides required... a Monsanto Anathema.

Excellent thread, S&F... I always knew 'of' hemp but now I know more 'about' hemp, nice to see the thread being kept open even with all the occasional off-topic and violation posts.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Psyagra

Hemp contains between 0.3% and 1.0% THC on average.

It is not worth noting in my opinion, but just to be accurate, it is slightly more than nothing. In Canada and Europe, the legal limit of THC for Industrial Hemp is 0.3%.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You are not referring to Industrial Hemp. Please don't get this thread closed by discussion of non-Industrial Hemp.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Ezekiel 34:29
29And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Ive been down this road before, posted a few very legitimate hemp related threads and they have all been moved to rats or deleted entirely. i applaud you and everyone like you who stand up for this wonderful plant!!

Fuel
Food
Shelter

This world disgusts me. A vegetable. that grows naturally... EVERYWHERE

Is.. illegal? Pure unprocessed nature.... illegal????

Insanity.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Retikx]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I was living in Geneva (Switzerland), a couple of years ago. They have fields and fields of Hemp growing there, as Marijuana is tolerated and legal to grow for personal use over there I originally thought that they were growing marijuana. After 'investigation' I found out it was hemp, since then I have researched the properties of hemp and have to say its a wonderful plant, so many uses.
I think its shocking its outlawed in the states, with your industries and knowledge of science you could do a hell of a lot with it, including boosting the economy.
Great thread for awareness.

Peace

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I have a pair of jeans made from industrial hemp. I've had them for 10 years or more. They've outlasted any other jean product I've bought by a long, long way. The pockets still work and everything. (I always get holes in my pockets for some reason, I blame carrying change) These jeans, are comfy, and so, so durable. It's any wonder why this isn't standard material for textiles. Well, it's no wonder really, we'd only need a few pairs throughout our entire lives (once fully grown obviously)

Stop the madness!! Get hemp on the market!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Ouch!! ... Splitting hairs hurts dammit!!

You are right of course ... so, in the strictest sense, I stand corrected ... but, I'd hoped that peeps would get what I meant by comparison. After all, if you looked close enough, you'd find minute traces of almost everything in almost everything ... no?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Hi,
save the planet from what exactly? Or should we say whom???
I must agree that Petro-chemicals have screwed alot; and mainly the companies that deal in them.
Hemp has a lot of benefits, environmentally and otherwise.
Our main problem is that our world is controlled by non-caring, economics driven idiots.
There are many adverse substances in the world; its just a matter of how they are utilized that makes a resounding impact.
You write a very informative thread

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join