It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Ah, this takes me back.

When the narcotics board was still up I made a great thread about Hemp being the real Economic Stimulus Package, and unfortunetly got canned because some members weren't nice.

That's old news though.

Yes Hemp can save the planet. The biggest untapped cash crop of our time as far as I am concerned. The ammount of products and profit that could be made from this substance are astounding, and yet it goes un-noticed.

~Keeper

Indeed. Hemp is the most beneficial crop of all time.

Hemp: The Trillion Dollar Crop

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You are not referring to Industrial Hemp. Please don't get this thread closed by discussion of non-Industrial Hemp.

If the mods find that my story doesn't bring anything to the debate about a plant, with many uses, then I guess I can take my comments being censored by the moderators.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
how much could be said?

well anyone who has noticed any of my posts before, or rather, replies to posts, i have been on a whole hempseed diet for 3 months and i have literally shrunk!

i am much fitter and healthier, but i did go all the way and eat nothing but the seeds for 3 months (apart from occasional normal meals).

that is just the health benefits, from a western obese 26 year old, i am probably near my ideal weight now, none of my clothes fit.

HEMP SAVED MY HEALTH - YES IT WORKS - ok thats out of the way.

---

for anyone who is serious about hemp, and understand its spiritual purpose as well, will know that it is too precious to recognise the restrictions of modern laws of the land.

this is why i am sure this forum and others will competely ignore any hemp related articles, it is not required to talk about it, everyone already knows what to do.

the solution is right in front of you but it cannot be spoken.

read emperor wears no clothes and take the hint!

peace to all

"what you resist persists"

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
This topic is beginning to tread some slippery slopes here, folks.

Industrial use of hemp, please. Personal use of "the weed" needs to stay out of the conversation totally. Sorry about that, but that's just the way it is.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

[edit on 19-8-2009 by cooler]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I have a "theoretical" question about hemp.

If someone was to grow some, industrail hemp. How easy is it to turn the fibres into something usable? Do you need industrial machinary, or is it something you could do in a "ye olde style" by twiddling it on a spinning wheel or something?

Reason I ask is, my long term future plan, is to have a self sustainable property, and i'd love to be able to make my own rope/sack/clothing.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Psyagra

Hehe, I know..
I just wanted to make sure people who had no idea it was different didn't get the idea it was completely different.

I was suprised to learn that there are states in Australia that allow permits for growing of industrial Hemp too. And we've the most absurd controlled substance laws on the planet. No lies!

As for things with traces of other things in them, it still suprises me that people who drink Coca-cola are still largely unaware that it is continued to be made with spent coca leaves after processing to remove 99.99999% of the coc aine, which is sold on to a single pharmaceutical company.

Yet Hemp, which has far more uses than a tooth rotting sugar filled stimulant, is persecuted to almost extinction.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Hemp is considered an illegal narcotic in the United States. I started a thread on recent studies of the correlation of cancer and pot smoking. My thread was removed immediately. Why is this one still standing? A double standard at ATS?

Sorry OP, but I am a bit ticked that mine was removed and yours stays. There is no free speech in America and especially not on ATS.

sent: 18-8-2009 at 12:01 AM
It was necessary to move a thread you created titled, If Pot Prevented Cancer You would read about it, Right? which was originally posted in the Medical Issues & Conspiracies forum, to the Trash Bin forum. masqua has initiated this action, and included this message about it:

From the Terms & Conditions:

2e.i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by sligtlyskeptical]

It's because you were discussing 'Pot' not hemp. I agree it is a double standard, but I understand the distinction. I do not on the other hand agree with 'not discussing' certain things that are illegal, we talk about all kinds of things on here, I really don't understand why that isn't allowed to be talked about.

As for hemp, seriously interesting. I knew some of the things about it, but I never knew it was so diverse or healthy. Is hemp the 'illegal drug' that can make one of the worlds strongest plastics? I was never sure if it was hemp or possibly the poppy.

Oh well, very informative, keep it alive.

EMM

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
the only problem is if we all start using hemp to everything then the nitrogen would be sucked out of the soil faster than we could replace it. The plants would not grow after a few seasons.

The system is not sustainable on a mass scale.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

If you use rotational crop farming practices, you can maintain its growth. Legumes, squash, zuccini, cucumbers, are all able to get their nitrogen from the air and they are great for redepositing N back into the soil. For two years its a hemp farm and for two years its a soybean farm. Repeat.

Thats great on a small scale but if your talking about using hemp for any sort of bio diesel you would need to much of the stuff to maintain a rotational system.

I didnt know that about Legumes, squash, zuccini, cucumbers though , Interesting

[edit on 19-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
if hemp was legalised ..

Sorry officer i thought i was growing hemp ^^

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

I dont think hemp oils best use is for bio diesel. But you can use the fiber for ethanol which i think would be a better use. There are obviously going to be hurdles that must be over come. One poster mentioned that you can use the leaves from the hemp plant to redistribute the nitrogen back into the soil.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TaintedJustice
if hemp was legalised ..

Sorry officer i thought i was growing hemp ^^

There is a powdery drug that has the appearance of many other substances but those legal substances are not made illegal simply because they resemble an schedule 1 drug.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Hi calihan,

marijuana has never even killed anyone for christ sake.

Maybe marijuana has not statisticlaly killed anyone directly, but, ever heard of drug related Psychosis?
Drug related psychosis has been the catalyst for many suicides etc.

Of coarse it effects individuals to a different degree. But I would say it is not a good thing to be lapse about; wolf in sheeps clothing.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Also, almost every plant sucks nitrogen out of the soil, but it is replaced with the leaves of the plant, fertilizers(bad, made from fossil fuels), or manure.

There is more than enough manure, to fertilize most of our growing needs but most companies resort to manufactured fertilizers, instead of keeping the circle complete.

For home farm, all one needs is a couple goats and chickens to provide all the fertilizer one would need. Turn your soil and prepare two spots for a garden. Set up a moveable chicken coup in one of the prepared areas for a whole summer and plant your garden in the other. The next year, you move the coup to the previous years garden and plant your garden in the area where the chickes were housed the summer before. You can alternate this cycle infinitely.

You can do the same with goats, plus, goats, mow your lawn, provide, milk and cheese, and chickens will provide you with eggs.

This is how farms used to be operated(this is a small scale example)most would have cows or pigs and pile all the manure, then spread it over their fields.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Unfortunately, I have known this for years, but TPTB are too stupid to do anything good and decent for the people. It is so versatile, I guess they wouldn't make enough money on it. We need Hemp Lobbyists on Capitol Hill !!!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11f41599846f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
My grandma told me that when she was young, hemp was widely used to make clothing, ropes etc. And nobody smoked it, because it has no effects.

Hemp was recently again legalized in here, so it can be done!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
hemp is illegal to grow in the united states. There really is no valid reason for it, all the government can come up with is “It is a marijuana plant, and marijuana is illegal, and is a drug

haha i know why, those greedy money hungry bastards cant tax something you can grow in your own closet!! thats what its all about with them, if you look at it, its all about money with them. great post btw!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Edrick

As I said, I understand the argument.

But the question is the context of the question.
Meaning, can hemp salvage our current life-style or are we willing to take a HUGE step backwards?

And I think the implications of such a cash-crop based living aren't really thought out by people who are shocked to realize that hemp can purify water.

It literally means the tearing down and restructuring of our entire system.

Personally, for me, I'm not sure.
One hand says burn it down. The other says but we've come so far.

I'm coming in late to this thread, so apologies if I am 'rehasing' - pun intended.

I really don't get this angle - taking a huge step back - why do people believe that sustainable development means giving up technological progress.

I would argue that big business has been holding us back for at least a century in this context.

Energy solutions were being discovered and developed back in the 1900's and before, that would have created an abundant supply of ultra cheap energy for all of makind by now - just think where we would be with this kind of 'free' energy.

Please explain your argument that the re-introduction of a crop such as hemp, with the potential to create so much abundance, reduce polution, level playing fields, make food, energy, materials etc available to everyone etc etc - why do you believe this would take us backwards towards cave-men??

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join