It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Row over Afghan wife-starving law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Row over Afghan wife-starving law

news.bbc.co.uk

Afghan legislation allowing a husband to starve his wife if she refuses to have sex has been published in the official gazette and become law.
The original bill caused outrage earlier this year, forcing Afghan President Hamid Karzai to withdraw it.
But critics say the amended version of the law remains highly repressive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gosanangelo.com
www.allgov.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I can think of some creative ways to pay back the husband for starvation but none I can say on this thread. These men must be ruthless. I also can’t believe they have a law on this , which includes repressive amendments.. I can guess how women feel about this but can’t figure out what the guys think. If the wives despise the husband it appears they would die of starvation. I’d call it “Blackmail”

It allows a man to withhold food from his wife if she refuses his sexual demands; a woman must get her husband's permission to work; and fathers and grandfathers are given exclusive custody of children.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Women HAVE to stand up for women. They have to unite as a whole. I realize that probably won't happen because of culture and religious beliefs. But until they do - men will rule.

I don't know - but I bet there are probably more women in Afghan then there are men - due to war.

Women are still fighting for equal rights in America. The battle can only be won by women.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm surprised in Afghanistan you aren't allowed to rape your wife if she refuses sexual advances. In fact, I am surprised you aren't allowed to rape any female over the age of 2 years old if you are horny in Afghanistan

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I find this disgusting but it is just another reason why all forms BS (religions, bibles or whatever) should out of any government ruling the people. It seems just another way of using what the (good book of their choice) has been used as leverage to control a lower class (according to them).

I do have have a problem with anyones belief, they can worship a 'rock' if it makes them feel better about themselves, but I do have a problem using that 'rock' shoved up my 'arse' because you believe it!

Tru

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Women are still fighting for equal rights in America. The battle can only be won by women.

Sorry, calling BS.

Women in America wanted equal rights at the beginning of the fight.

But as time went on, women demanded more and more, and how have MORE rights than men. Just look at court cases. Including ones with kids. Women always destroy the lives of men, and can, according to laws in place that make then MORE THAN EQUAL.

EDIT: To stay on topic, it is sad that women in other countries seem to be property of men.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
what makes ya'll think the women over there haven't holding men hostage with sex? probably why there's so many gay muslims.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

Originally posted by Annee

Sorry, calling BS.

Women in America wanted equal rights at the beginning of the fight.

But as time went on, women demanded more and more, and how have MORE rights than men. Just look at court cases. Including ones with kids. Women always destroy the lives of men, and can, according to laws in place that make then MORE THAN EQUAL.

EDIT: To stay on topic, it is sad that women in other countries seem to be property of men.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by LostNemesis]

A man works 2 full-time jobs or works double shifts, so total amount of hours equal well over 80 a week. The man goes out and works devotes himself to create an income that will support the family. That is all he does except for the weekends where he spends as much time with the family as he needs rest from the extra long hours just to help to family enjoy their house, healthcare, car, food, utilities, insurance, etc. The woman stays home and helps prepares meals for the kids and helps clean.

Is that fair?

The woman 'gets bored' and demands more. The woman divorces the man or does something to find another dude. The woman goes to court and demands child custody. The woman gets full custody despite that man has spent more than 80 hours a week to devote his time solely to support the family.

And this is not considered fair?

The man now has been stripped of all income since child custody laws garnishes his wages. The 2 jobs or double shifts have gone from something in attempt to get the family ahead and to support a better life and moved into something that court demands that man continues makes and performs. If the man doesn't work 2 jobs or double shifts, the man is threatened with jail. Of course, since the man lost the house, the car, all the items bought in marriage, etc, there is no other woman that really wants to have a relationship with that man because it is too much 'baggage'.

And there are some that still consider it fair?

The woman goes on to marry the other dude. Now the woman gets income from the new dude and plus income from her previous man.

Wash, rinse... repeat...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I understand your point about equal rights. Ive seen a huge increase in women CEO's, high ranking executives. The problem we still have is side by side comparison in pay.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I can only use my imagination to understand "Afgan mens demands". At least they can take their veils off now.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Laws or no laws, women actually have ALL of the power in the world. You see us men have a weakness and you all know what that weakness is. There is nothing more men strive for than a good **** from a willing and happy and ***** girlfriend or wife wearing nothing but a ******. Islamic law tries to hide this fact that women actually have ALL the power in relationships. This law is merely a cover to the men to hide what is defiantly very apparently a Woman's World.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by truskeptic
I find this disgusting but it is just another reason why all forms BS (religions, bibles or whatever) should out of any government ruling the people. It seems just another way of using what the (good book of their choice) has been used as leverage to control a lower class (according to them).

Well yeah - - but America still has 2 Federal Christian holidays.

We may not be as extreme - but we also are still fighting religious rule to an extent.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Youre right about the control but I cant imagine the opposite being real good, "an ice cold, ticked off and frigid girlfriend/wife". The law may backfire on the men.

I wonder what the guys do when the women refuses to eat and turn anorexic. Poor guy.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Please join the discussion in the existing thread on this topic found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join