It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

I am 23, an American Citizen with government run health care.

page: 41
57
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch
 


You dont think any words change meaning over time, or just the ones that fit within your belief system?


Aren't you doing exactly that?

right there?




posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath
 


Um, you're talking out your hindquarters once again.



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator
 


It's always easier for someone to see their disease in others.



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch
 


You dont think any words change meaning over time, or just the ones that fit within your belief system?


You brought up the constitution..seems you are the one changing the meaning of words to fit your scheme. But as I said before, I give the floor. I dont claim to know much about the Constitution. I do know bullocks when I see it.



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
 


Thanks for proving my point.

Applying modern day definitions to centuries old terms simply because it fits your argument is absurd.

The words and writings of the people who actually signed the document prove your application of todays meanings to their words to be just plain wrong.

Laughable yet still wrong.


The forefathers did not have any idea about HMOS, CO PAYS, CAPS

so how could they reference such ideas to disagree with them?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator
 


Sure.

Heres one now.

The writings of Thomas Jefferson

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."

Now, I assume you know what the word enumerated means. If not, look it up.

Now, when it comes to how Congress can spend OUR money, we need to look at Article 1 Section 8.

Soecific enumerations can be found there.

See anything about healthcare?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
AFTERMATH

Main Entry: 1wel·fare
Pronunciation: \ˈwel-ˌfer\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from the phrase wel faren to fare well
Date: 14th century

notice the date?

are you going to resist a portion of the constitution now contrary to what you said earlier?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator
 


They probably also had no idea about the internet, so we should change the meaning of the 1st Amendment too right?

They had no idea about AR-15's, so we should change the meaning of the 2nd amendment too right?

No, we shouldnt. There words are plain and clear. The enumerations are specific.

Afterall, wouldnt it improve the welfare of the people if everyone had a billion dollars? Should the feds just write out checks to everyone?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath
 


And the constitution originally allowed for children working..... Just thought I'd point that out. And not allowing women to vote or really non-landowner.



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by mental modulator
 


Sure.

Heres one now.

The writings of Thomas Jefferson

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."

Now, I assume you know what the word enumerated means. If not, look it up.

Now, when it comes to how Congress can spend OUR money, we need to look at Article 1 Section 8.

Soecific enumerations can be found there.

See anything about healthcare?


I see the words GENERAL WELFARE

and the word WELFARE - from the 14th century - has the first word in it definition as "health..."

I based this whole thing off article 1 section 8

and I referenced the enumeration

same result



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator
 


The word fag also dates back from the 1700's. Think it has the same meaning now as it did then?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by mental modulator
 


The word fag also dates back from the 1700's. Think it has the same meaning now as it did then?



Thanks, I spit my diet coke on the screen! It does still in certain parts of the world, I have english friends who call cigarettes "fags".



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by mental modulator
 


They probably also had no idea about the internet, so we should change the meaning of the 1st Amendment too right?

They had no idea about AR-15's, so we should change the meaning of the 2nd amendment too right?

No, we shouldnt. There words are plain and clear. The enumerations are specific.

Afterall, wouldnt it improve the welfare of the people if everyone had a billion dollars? Should the feds just write out checks to everyone?


ON the other thread not two hours ago you said WE MUST ADHERE TO THE CONSTITUTION EVEN IF WE DO NOT AGREE WITH IT...

I stated Article 1 sec 8 word for word - " general welfare " also means general HEALTH

the word welfare is from the 14th century -

ARE you saying the constitution is wrong?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by mental modulator
 


The word fag also dates back from the 1700's. Think it has the same meaning now as it did then?



the word is from 14th century

before Jefferson was even born - are you say jefferson did not master the English language?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator
 


Uh, you didnt reference any specific enumeration, only the GW clause. Here is an enumeration:

To establish post offices and post roads

Notice the specificity of it. No ambiguity there.



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator
 


Im saying your application of modern day definitions and refusal to acknowledge definitions change over time is wrong.



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
What more do you want??? as proof that the founding fathers recognized people as more than cold logic or money, this nation comprised of such.

bound by the document to provided for our general health - welfare



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath
 


And do you know the old definitions if they are in fact different? And if so where is your proof?



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by mental modulator
 


Im saying your application of modern day definitions and refusal to acknowledge definitions change over time is wrong.


Definitions dont always change over time.

Why I could say, you are acting mighty QUEER today, Aftermath, its a lovely day, and I feel so GAY. Would you mind loaning me one of your FAGS, I seem to be out! Only in America would I be scoffed at for saying this to you.



posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
reply to post by mental modulator
 


Im saying your application of modern day definitions and refusal to acknowledge definitions change over time is wrong.


second attempt here; read the bottom portion dating the appearance of the word in the lexicon...

Main Entry: 1wel·fare
Pronunciation: \ˈwel-ˌfer\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from the phrase wel faren to fare well
Date: 14th century

you are wrong, what next?



new topics

top topics



 
57
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

log in

join