It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Obama compares Public Option health care to US Postal Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
These are statements made by Obama on health care reform and the "public option" at a recent Town Hall Meeting. I think these non-scripted answers are very likely the reason that we're seeing more scripted town hall meetings. This is a horrible statement given by someone who wants the bill to pass and makes absolutely no logicial sense.

Remember, today the USPS is funded entirely by revenues from postage (or is supposed to be anyway) and is directly relevant to the discussion of the "public option" and government ability to run a business. As such, Obama brings this relevance up in the video - but, he goes one step further in highlighting the failure of USPS to compete on a self sustaining basis.

From the video:

If the private insurance companies are providing a good product, and if the public option has to be self-sustaining, meaning taxpayers aren't subsidizing it.... I think private insurers should be able to compete. They do it all the time. I mean, if you think about, if you think about it, um, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. Right? The, uh, no they are. I mean, it's the post office that's always having problems.

He goes on to say:

As long as, and this is a legitimate point that you're raising, that it's not set up where the government is basically being subsidized by the taxpayers where even if they're not providing a good deal, we keep on having to pony out more and more money.

This from a 2001 article on Senate Last Hope for USPS Funding

"If the postal service doesn't receive an emergency appropriation from Congress before they adjourn, then that puts a lot of pressure to increase rates higher and faster," said Neal Denton, executive director of the Alliance of Nonprofit Mailers, Washington, DC. "Mailers need to get an appropriation from the Hill."

Jerry Cerasale, senior vice president of government affairs at the Direct Marketing Association, said he expects the USPS will get something.

"Without this critical support from Congress, the very foundation of our universal postal system will be in jeopardy," Cerasale said. "Congressional funding is needed and necessary for our domestic security."

The point here is that government is not good at business. The bureaucracy is just too great to efficiently provide a good product at a good price. Obama makes this cases quite well don't you think?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I find it wonderfully ironic that he gave a perfect example for why government run health care is a horrible idea while trying to sell health care to the country. We now have it from the president's own mouth that a government run business doesn't work as well as a similar business run by the private sector.

Absolutely priceless.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I would have to agree with that statement. I mean, he basically just said that the government cannot run the post office, but would like to run all of our health care too. Yeah, after that comparison you think I will jump on the Obamacare bandwagon? HA! I am sure that nobody in the MSM will take note of this, and if they do they will be shot down by the thuggish and overpowering federal goons.

I am really beggining to hate my country, and that sadens me to the core.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
See what happenes when you take the teleprompter way or force him to ad lib - he says the most stupid things!!!

If you like getting a drivers license or waiting on line at the post office - aren't the employees so pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable? - then you're just gonna LOVE government run healthcare!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
I find it wonderfully ironic that he gave a perfect example for why government run health care is a horrible idea while trying to sell health care to the country. We now have it from the president's own mouth that a government run business doesn't work as well as a similar business run by the private sector.

Absolutely priceless.

Yeah, that was a great analogy by him wasn't it? It's almost like he is trying to sabotage his own plan. Next he will compare the rising costs of medical care to the $700 toilet seats the Military bought.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

Absolutely priceless.

Whenever Obama walks away from his teleprompter he runs into
trouble. I'm almost sure he will be voted out November 2012.
He is too weak.
The libs calling everyone a racist who disagrees with Obama shows
that the end is near.
Obama is an empty suit.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
[edit on 12-8-2009 by Artephius Abraxas Helios]

new topics

top topics

join