It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody Up For Another Thought Experiment?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I know we have done these before, but I was thinking about something that may actually provide immediate POSITIVE results for everyone participating.

Pick a date, any date and everyone spend the entire day focusing on two things.

1) Compliment as many people as you can for whatever reason you can find to do so.

2) Recite a mantra in within, or aloud, as often as you can "Everything is alright because I mean it to be."

How many people can you compliment?

I can do 50... In a day.

Anyone have a camcorder? Film it and upload it.

Or not. Just try it.

You will feel better immediately.

And the world will be better for it...

Thanks for the consideration.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
That is a very nice experiment.

I will participate.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Thanks, I think so too.

I mean think about it, if we have 10,000 people here and everyone can strive for 50 compliments in one day that is half a million random acts of kindness that can change the complete structure of half a million peoples' days.

Did you just compliment someone who was headed towards the bell-tower and change his mind?

Possibly.

The power of persuasion isn't something that is only granted to the people in charge.

We have a lot of power if we use it properly...

Thanks for the response.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Are you boasting.

Shouldn't being nice, be a selfless act, not a competition? Which it stops being if you start being nice, so you feel better. Means it not even heart felt.

Seeing a homeless man and feelin the urge to donate even though you don't want to then on the prespice finally doing it and walking away feeling nothing, that, that is a nice act.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Is telling someone you think they have a nice pair of shoes a selfish act?

The reason I said I could do fifty wasn't to brag
it was to set a goal. Shoot, if I were to do 50 that would be SOME feet indeed!

I have a hard enough time complimenting my wife!

I just think that by acting out random acts of kindness thoughout one day of your life a big impact will be made. Not for yourself, but for the people who may be having a bad day.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

And as I said initially, it is more of an experiment. It reminds me of the story about how the US Government employed a bunch of holy folk to meditate/pray on lowering the crime rate in DC and that year there was a 30 some odd percent drop in the murder rate.

Putting positive vibes out there is never a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Uh oh, you mentioned prayer! lol, It could've been a coincidence, murder went down.

Not neccasarily damning the thread, I could use to do this, i'm a bitter person who calls out on racism gays and all the groups, usually just for when I see them pull there card out, how do you say it.... I keeps it real.

I honestly can't remember the last time I complimented them.

I can remember everytime I've been complimented, lately on the new watch I bought, but for the price I figure it better be appreciated.

I'll actually do your little experiment, but not the Rhonda Byrne (She-Devil Con Artist) mantra's and such.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

Is telling someone you think they have a nice pair of shoes a selfish act?

Motives! C'mon have you not seen Cruel Intentions! Jesus, it's a classic, and i'll tell you Sarah Michelle Gellar is in it, that's reason enough to watch in, oh and that girl with a gigantic forehead.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Any little bit helps, I suppose.

Here is another compliment. I like your avatar.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Does everything have to be about sex?

What if you are talking to your co-worker and you tell him, being a guy, that you think he is a funny guy?

Does that mean you are into him?

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm just saying.

The point is that you are literally finding ways to compliment people so that you can brighten their day, not because you want to see what color her panties are.

It would be work, but good work.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Dang, two people willing to try it and no flags.

That sucks. I really thought it was a good idea and unfortunately nobody will know it existed this time tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Every now and then someone posts a thread on the idea of being cool to people. They never seem to do well. I've tried to say and/or doing something decent for someone every day for a long while now. It used to be called being a 'gentleman.' Here's good article that reinforces the possible upsides of just smiling at someone...Just a Smile and a Hello on the Golden Gate Bridge. It made a big impact on me years ago

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2e77a3b0fb1.jpg[/atsimg]

(are you the same JayinAR or a new guy?)

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

2 flags!

If you can't eat it, f it, or bet on it, it's not worth it. lol J/K hold back your anger Zazza.

Alot is about sex believe it or not, but I suppose a compliment doesn't always have to lead to the sack, pool table, grass, bathroom, shower, behind the bushes etc etc etc...

It is a fairly good Idea, I liked it, and thanks, lol, I still look at my avatar like hmm, is this a good representation of me... lol

I'll try to compliment everyone I meet tomorrow, even that guy whose inbred and his fingernails grow the opposite way, yeah i've seen him before....

Don't be so hopeless, i've had threads go for days then make it up to active, hopefully this will, i'll keep posting replies.

I'm quite an odd person when giving compliments, it'll be quite a challenge. quite the challenge indeed.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea, and I will willingly participate because I do want to spread some positivity in the world. As far as a date, there is some chatter on the web with people talking about the Waitaha prophecy that's supposed to happen on August 15 of this year. Here's a thread on ATS about the prophecy and I'll add some videos on here too with people on youtube talking about it. I think this could be a good date to do it since it's a week away and that gives more people here time to read up on the experiment and choose if they want to participate or not. Regardless of whether the prophecy is legit or not is not really of concern, but doing an act of kindness on this date can't hurt any. Great idea OP and I'm looking forward to participating.

Waitaha Prophecy Thread

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

The same. I think we have spoke on a few threads a while back.

I thought the name would be obvious. The reason I changed it was because the punctuation of my previous name seemed to deny me access to the media portal.

Instead of a single word as it is now...

Eh, nevermind.

I couldn't access the media portal and it was because of how my name was spelled, not that it really matters, I have nothing on there...yet.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

That is exactly the point, your illustration...

That exact scenario is very unlikely. However, there are a bunch of us on this site and if everyone set a goal of complimenting 50 people, for instance, on a certain day, it WILL make a difference, whether we notice it or not.

The more people you get involved and the higher the goal, the better the chance something happens that is profound...not that we would know it after the fact.

But what if people just started living like that in general. At what point would we see things change noticably?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sirius20

August 15th sounds as good a day as any.

Thanks for the contribution.

Admittedly I haven't watched your videos, but I will first thing in the morning. I have some other stuff downloading right now and I don't have much bandwidth. I kinda' can't stop it.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

It is a fairly good Idea, I liked it, and thanks, lol, I still look at my avatar like hmm, is this a good representation of me... lol

Thanks for the compliment.
As for your avatar, as I don't know you personally, I can't comment on if it is a good representation or not, but it is pretty cool. Are those purple satin wings on that mouse?

Like a 63' Impala he is sitting on the finest rims.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

It is tough for me to give compliments also. I've been trying to do it more often lately, though.
I think it is a good thing to do.

I mean, just in general. For me, I am socially anxious - I get kinda' weirded out around folks...especially if there are a few of them. But I've noticed that handing out compliments allows me to feel better about myself around others.
It sorta' gives me the confidence to open up.

All in all I think that if everyone were to use this as a launch pad for a conscious movement in unison, it could do drastic things.

If you want to visualize your thoughts about positive outcomes, cool. If not, whatever. I intend to use August 15th to make a positive impact in my life on this date.

It would be cool if people would come along.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yeah, remember you well from the long NASA STS threads a while back. Good threads! I liked your old avatar...hell of a view from that rock.

The best thing about doing something nice for someone is you both get to feel good. On top of that, it gets so you hardly notice you're doing it. On the other hand, one kind act can p*** some people off. I let guys out of junctions...sometimes there's an ***hole behind beeping the horn. Couple months ago, I stopped because kids were coming off the school bus in front. Instead of moving when the bus moved, I paused to let two kids cross over. Some crazy woman overtook me and the kids nearly got DOAed. To be fair to the lady, she looked horrified and probably won't do that again!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join