It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody Up For Another Thought Experiment?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

I think the thought experiment is a great idea, i was talking about the videos that were posted on this thread, sorry if i offended you.

You didn't offend me. Sorry if I offended you. I just didn't realize where you were coming from.

I should have edited that out I guess. No biggie.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

I understand your concerns.

The reason I even suggested taping yourself was a halfhearted attempt to try to get something like that to go viral.

Potential for huge positive feedback.

And I do not even suggest this as a pat on my own back.

I just think that movements have to start somewhere, right?

What would be the harm in helping people to be kind to one another?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by notsoobvious

Complimenting people for a whole day would be a thought experiment because you are planting positive thoughts into the minds of those you are complimenting.

I doubt people want to say a little prayer throughout the day as I suggested, but I don't think it would hurt.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sirius20

Good post.

Like you mentioned, the fact that there is some sort of prophecy on that day matters not.

It is just a day. Good a day as any.

PS - Putting something up on youtube is a great idea, I think.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsoobvious
how is complimenting people on a certain day a thought experiment?dont get me wrong i think its a good thing but with a thought experiment u pick a date and a time on that date get everybody to sync there time so everyones thinking at the same time and think of something positive.one poster suggested aug.15 for the phrophicies so how about this pick a time on that date and have everyone think about the prophicy to come true.throw in the compliments on that day(people should try to be nice everyday anyways) and well have a real thought experiment.im giving u a star and flag sooooo think about what i said.

I think you're absolutely right about us being nice every day, but if you look at how people act normally, that's usually not the case. We're doing this in order to go out of our way and try to create some positivity in this world since lately all I've been seeing is doom and gloom and I just want one day where people forget that even if its for only the duration of the conversation that you have with the people. Regardless, this is a way to make an entire day try to be positive, and I definitely like the idea of having a set time during the day for everyone participating in this to stop and focus on something, but I think we should discuss more ideas on what time we should all stop at and what we should all be thinking. I think whatever we pick to think about should be something that can bring about real "good" change in the world around us. Although, I do like the idea of thinking about the prophecy coming true. I know the members on this forum are creative, so how about some brainstorming to get some ideas out there?

Sorry OP, if you feel I'm hijacking your idea.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sirius20

No need to apologize.

My thoughts on what to pray about last night were just thrown together quickly and without thought. The whole thread was, actually. The more help the better.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sheisaceo

I understand the situation in Texas is very bad right now... I've had the people down there in my thoughts a lot lately.

Lets see what others think. That wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Some good prolonged rain for all of the drought ridden places on the planet would be a very good thing.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hyperion.martin

I suppose a lot of people don't think about those things too often.
I don't too often either. I've been making an effort to do that more often, but I still don't do it enough.

Don't feel bad. There is always tomorrow and we can change the world then.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by truthtothemasses

The current system that we live in is all about competition, hatred and greed. "Good deeds" done within such a system are done just for brownie points.

I agree that our system is corrupt. However, I don't agree that we can't change it ourselves.

And even if we can't, we're still helping people feel better, if even for just a short time.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. I feel honored to have so many positive responses to my thread.
Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

On the other hand, I think the father would also say that it is better than nothing.

Good luck with it. I hardly come in contact with more than 2 or 3 people a day much less 50 as I work from home and work 3rd shift most times.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ya, I'll try this out. I never really compliment anyone, come to think of it. I won't save this for a special day, rather I'll do it when the opportunity arises, and if I am aware.

Giving compliments to strangers in a public place, would be great. It will make you feel great!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Is this another exersise in telepathy.Been there done that.The problem with telepathy ,sometimes you don't know who you will be contacting.Its a bit like channeling or commnicating to the spirit world.You would be better off trying to move objects with your mind.Under strict experimental conditions i believe anyone can move a object with there mind even a piece of hanging cotton.You can start off with a piece of hanging human hair.Thats the lightest piece i can think of.Then you can progress to a piece of cotton,then string.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

Yeah, it may make you feel good, I suppose.
It probably won't make me feel good, though. I am socially awkward at best.

Perhaps it will help me get over a hump, so to speak.

More importantly, it will spread positivity.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by truthtothemasses

The current system that we live in is all about competition, hatred and greed. "Good deeds" done within such a system are done just for brownie points.

I agree that our system is corrupt. However, I don't agree that we can't change it ourselves.

And even if we can't, we're still helping people feel better, if even for just a short time.

Optimism can be a healthy thing. I am a realist however, I cannot see the glass as being half full. I just see the glass.

We have been living in a system for thousands of years now that do not cater to love or sharing. The good deeds of blind optimists only reminds use of who we truly are as a people. Unfortunately those that want love, peace, and equality for all end up just as bad or worst then those that were in control of the system.

It's a never ending cycle.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

i too think the situation in southern northamerica would be a good one

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by notsoobvious

Or more specifically, relief for drought victims worldwide?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I think this is a lovely idea. As to what the guy with the cute avatar said, my response is that even if you did it for cash or fame...people still had their day uplifted. I always try to compliment people and I had a friend call me out for it because I didn't know them. I don't honestly care. I know when I'm feeling "blah" and someone says something as simple as: I love your shoes, I'm instantly perked up a bit.

Love costs us nothing to give. Not a dang thing. Kindness is cheap.

I'm with you. Huzzah!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

Precisely.

You know how rare it is to even receive a random compliment anymore. It almost never happens.

I think if it happened more often, things would be bound to get better.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well, looks like the thread is pretty much winding down.

So what do we have, 24 on board?

If all 24 can perform 50 random acts of kindness on the 15th then we have 1200 random acts of kindness spread throughout wherever we reside. 1200 acts of kindness that otherwise wouldn't have even happened.
Not bad for a start.

Lets not forget to give a thought for those without water.

I'm not so sure that a specific time is needed. Just throughout the day.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join