It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody Up For Another Thought Experiment?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Are you boasting.

Shouldn't being nice, be a selfless act, not a competition? Which it stops being if you start being nice, so you feel better. Means it not even heart felt.

I don't think the OP was implying that this 'experiment' should be a competition, per se. I think their genuine intention was to get people thinking on a more positive level.

I don't know about you, but in my experience, many, many people I know and come into contact with daily are just too busy to remember to compliment people or smile at strangers etc. Things that could entirely make a person's day. And I don't mean that they're all pr*cks and are ignorant on purpose; people are increasingly going about their days just trying to keep afloat throughout growing economic uncertainty - practicing positive, little things are just not their main priority nowadays.

I think the OP's heart was in the right place by reminding people that things like this can make a HUGE difference, especially when they all add up at the end of the day. I personally believe it can do wonders, with that kind of energy spanning across time and space, kind of like a butterfly effect.

[edit on 9/8/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yeah, those were good threads. I learned quite a lot. For instance, ice particles act pretty odd in space!

I'll eventually put that avatar back up, whenever I decide to mess with that sort of thing again. Between three jobs and three kids I'm surprised I ever find time to post in here, let alone mess with my photos and stuff.

Yeah, I suppose some people will be put off by the act of a compliment. For instance, I tell a woman she has a nice shirt and she looks at me like I'm a pig because she also has a nice rack.

But overall, I think it is a worthy cause.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

I think the OP's heart was in the right place by reminding people that things like this can make a HUGE difference, especially when they all add up at the end of the day. I personally believe it can do wonders, with that kind of energy spanning across time and space, kind of like a butterfly effect.

That is definately the idea. (no womanizing here :lol

It is just a take off of the pay it forward idea, but it is something everyone can do right now, if they choose.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

You said :
Compliment as many people as you can for whatever reason you can find to do so.

I like it !

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63b833ea7fb5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

No womanizing here? Oh drat.

I am a woman and I like to be womanized.

Oops, I forgot we are not supposed to talk about the "s" word.

Anyway, I'm just checking back on your thread to see the responses you're getting.

A star and flag for you. And I like your new spelling of your name.

Edit to add: I have nice shirts too. I would never think you or any man was a pig if he complimented my shirt. I'm proud of my shirts.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I'm sure your shirts are lovely.

Thanks for the support guys. Even though there don't appear to be too many people on board I am going to use the 15th as a day to give it a shot.

Wonder if I'll be arrested...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Blossom Goodchild said the same B.S. and guess what, nothing happen. She scammed a bunch of people, took their money .........These people are doing the same thing. They will shutdown their website come 8-15-09 and run to the bank laughing their butts off.........SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

What on Earth are you on about? Oh, the videos!

I forgot to watch them. Off to do that now.

Edit - I don't know what to think about those videos. I don't like seeing the date 10-14-08 at all.

In any event, my intentions weren't to drive any attention towards any of that stuff. Just to see if a few thousand folks can help change the world.

You know, just for fun.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
JayinAR...Brilliant....Im up for it!!! Did ya say the 15th?
Should be done at least once a month....
Positive thoughts and energy day!!!
Love it!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think the thought experiment is a great idea, i was talking about the videos that were posted on this thread, sorry if i offended you.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'll do it. Not that I even see 50 people in one day (who does?) but I'll compliment everyone I do see on the 15th. Why not? Maybe I'll call some folks I rarely talk with and tell them how much I like them...that would count, huh?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Are you boasting.

Shouldn't being nice, be a selfless act, not a competition? Which it stops being if you start being nice, so you feel better. Means it not even heart felt.

Nice remark. You reminded me of an bible quote:

“Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.”

Now, what we're doing here - video-taping our alms and publishing them for thousands to see is a complete opposite of what Jesus supposedly said.

I know OP has good intentions, but just having a great relation ship with your close ones (much less than 50 people) helps much more than saying nice things to 50 random people. This may sound harsh and illogical to most but I know from experience and had to say it

Not to sound negative: I think we should be as kind as possible to everyone, especially our close ones - all the time, and talk instead holding anger within.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by SassyCat]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
how is complimenting people on a certain day a thought experiment?dont get me wrong i think its a good thing but with a thought experiment u pick a date and a time on that date get everybody to sync there time so everyones thinking at the same time and think of something positive.one poster suggested aug.15 for the phrophicies so how about this pick a time on that date and have everyone think about the prophicy to come true.throw in the compliments on that day(people should try to be nice everyday anyways) and well have a real thought experiment.im giving u a star and flag sooooo think about what i said.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Yeah, I know quite well about the whole 10/14/2008 ordeal with the GFL and i believe you have a point that those people were just using that date to get people excited and take their money. I've been following Druanna for a little while now (the lady in the video) and I honestly can't say either way if she's just using people to make some money. She has however talked about having sessions with her and someone else, although I never checked into the information more so I really don't know if she's charging money for her sessions. My personal opinion is if someone has information to offer you about this stuff great, and if they can really make a difference somehow, even better, but when someone says we can do chakra cleansing for two easy payments of 29.95, then I don't think their heart is in the right place. If I had information to give to people that I felt could benefit them, then I would do so without having to charge them for said information. Whether or not people willingly give money in forms of donations is another thing, but I would never charge people for my service. Although if people are gullible enough to fall for these things, then let them be it's their decision to do so, but you won't ever catch me paying for anything like this. Regarding the whole prophecy though, the whole reason why I picked that date wasn't because I believed in the prophecy (I'd rather wait patiently and see what happens with the prophecy before I make a decision), but the reason behind it was that the prophecy had a positive message, and this was a positive idea by the OP, so why not have them on the same day. Instead of sitting here waiting for the prophecy to happen and sit idly by hoping that the good from it will come, why not bring about some of that positivity ourselves. I don't think some effort outside of ourselves is going to bring about these changes, but rather we need to do it ourselves. I'm going to record a video here pretty soon and upload it on youtube so that other people on there can hear about this and participate themselves. Hopefully we can get a decent amount of people to get involved with this, so start spreading the word.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I feel like a fool for saying this, but I have never tried anything like this....But I promise I will tomorrow. I feel like such a horrible person when somebody brings up a topic like this....and it is new to me

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Wow. I feel like such a jerk right now. You just brought me a great truth to the door step. I never compliment people. I never even stop to think about it. I just go on my merry little way wearing my blinders.

I'll go ahead a pick a day to do this, and that day will be any day of the week that ends in day.

It makes so much sense. How could I have overlooked something this simple for so long.

I suppose it's time to give credit, where credit is due.

dillon mark reed

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I am. I would propose that we ask the creator to reduce the temperature for all of North America by 5 degrees. From what I have seen and done, it takes about 24 hours for it to happen and then the duration is unknown. If more than a single man and women performs this then it should last a substantial period of time. For the situation that I have close to me, and presently, I can handle. The waterways are being turned off for the state of texas and slowly and the army corp of engineers has the keys to the gates.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sheisaceo

Now I am interested in this for the southern part of North America for which is being hammered by heat. We can adjust for this if you prefer. I would also propose that we perform this in the coming winter months for equilibrium such as the earth was at one time.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Good idea but it's dead. Reminds me of the movie Pay it Forward.

The current system that we live in is all about competition, hatred and greed. "Good deeds" done within such a system are done just for brownie points.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by isaacbrown

JayinAR...Brilliant....Im up for it!!! Did ya say the 15th? Should be done once a month.

Yeah, in a perfect world people would walk around doing things like this every day. I just thought, ya' know, we've got people from all around the world here... and a lot of them.

If everyone could participate we'd have a bunch of positivity being spread simultaneously across the globe. Always a good thing!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join