It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

. . Having to survive in the woods I would take my Savage 24V-A .222rem/20ga Over under. It's a bit bulky and not easy to conceal, but makes good bush survival.

Excellent choice ! My savage M24 is a really old one with .22 on top / .410 shotgun on bottom. The .22 shorts are very very quiet and the .410 will knock really big things down.
I don't know how concealeable a survival rifle needs to be ( maybe get out of town unseen at the beginning ? )... but my M24 is 24 inches overall, broken down. This should fit in a duffle or a lg. backpack.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Single mom, knows nothing about guns, limited funds, maximum amount I can afford is $200 that includes money for bullets.

I never believed we were close to having TSHTF untill recently, so know I am in a panic to get prepared.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

What state are you in, this makes a difference?

As for the suvival rifle I am really leaning towards a lever action .357 magnum 38 special. The rounds are rather common, and 38 is cheaper to practice plinking with, they are smaller so can carry more than a 223 or 308, but significantly bigger than a 22lr where can drop anything close up.

They can hold 8-10 rounds, which is enough to fix mistakes, Unless it was fully sound suppressed I couldnt think of a single shot rifle being a good choice, you know unless the shooter was an expertly trained sniper which I am not.

It can take deer and larger game at 100 yds but can also take squirrel and smaller game without obliterating them (so long as you dont use a hollow point).

Lever actions are time and field tested, its how we won the west! So their reliability is in their reputation.

I dont think I need to explain the hitting power of a 357 revolver to anyone, or a 38 special for that matter, but when coming out of a rifle they are about 40% stronger than the famous revolvers..

Only draw back is that from everything ive read they lose steam and accuracy at beyond 175 yards.

What you guys think?

www.marlinfirearms.com...

en.wikipedia.org... in a 357 variation

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
There is no perfect rifle that will be ideal for every situation. It comes down to what the individual considers the most important characteristics..

Stopping Power of caliber
Size
Weight
Ease of use
Maneuverability
Concealability
Reliability
Ease of maintenance
Effective range
Cost
Availability of ammo
Availability of parts
Legality
Danger to friendlies

A 24" barrel bolt action .308 may be very good for hunting but may be less than ideal in an urban environment trying to fend off rioters and looters.

My pick would be an 16" AR with mid-length gas system. Light, maneuverable, accurate, low recoil, high capacity mags, high availability on parts and ammo and easily taken down and maintained. Modern rifles are more reliable than many are lead to believe, so long as you don't use crap ammo and keep it oiled. People regularly hunt with the .223/5.56 and take deer with no problem. The mid-length is supposedly more reliable than the carbine length due to it being easier on components.

Load up a few mags with steel core and a few with hollow points in the 62-70 grain range and you have a pretty versatile weapon. Keep some lighter rounds in the 40 something gr. range for smaller game.

It's not the perfect weapon for every situation but versatile enough to be useful in almost any.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I would have to go with the ithica model 37 why??

Because its all I have for right now. Lol

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Hello calstorm,

In reality there is only so much one can do to be prepared.
For most of us we will just have to live it and hope for the best.
As a single father I recognize your situation.
You might want to network with people in your area that are like minded
and better armed.

As for a single rifle I really like my lever action 30/30. Simple and Built to last. But I am thinking of buying the Ruger ranch rifle because ammo would be consistent with military versions. AR's just to expensive.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: For pure overkill and intimidation factor I would have one of these [in decending order of preference!]

A]Nuclear Rifle

B]Punt Gun
Punt Gun with pics

C]Big Ernie The Worlds Largest WORKING Rifle!

I would take any one of these 1st and live with bows and arrows for personal survival. Would you come anywhere near me if you KNEW I had a NUKE possibly aimed at you?

Failing access or possession of any of the above I would take EMILY303 and all the equipment to MAKE MY OWN BULLETS from other calibres!

Finally steering totally away from powder fire weapons I would invest in a PAINTBALL rifle of some kind as air is free and readily available almost everywhere and these devices can fire a multitude of improvised projectiles.

Personal Disclosure: I'd want the women/kids/elderly in my group to be armed with either 4-10 gauge shotguns or .22 calibre rifles and I would want the men with either 12 gauge shotguns or at a minimum of 5.56mm calibre rifles.

P.S Starred and Flagged!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by agent0range
I would have to go with the ithica model 37 why??

Because its all I have for right now. Lol

The best gun to use is the one you have when you need to use it. :-)

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Single mom, knows nothing about guns, limited funds, maximum amount I can afford is $200 that includes money for bullets.

I never believed we were close to having TSHTF untill recently, so know I am in a panic to get prepared.

Rule 1 - Don't panic

Rule 2 - The LEAST important factor in using a firearm defensively is which gun to use

Rule 3 - There are a whole bunch of other rules but we can get to it later.

For $200 your choices will be limited. If you are just wanting a powerful, last-ditch, easy to use firearm you might look at a local retail or sporting goods store for a simple breakover shotgun.

They are easy to use, but kick like a mule. 12 guage shells are widely available and inexpensive.

You basically push a lever and the rifle 'opens' where the barrel and stock meet. You put a shotgun shell in the opening, close the gun and it's ready to fire. In a crisis or a panic people default to simple, gross-motor, instinctual reflex movements. If you are not a 'gun person' you should start simple.

A Harrington & Richardson "Pardner" shotgun currently retails for $129. This would definitely be classified as a last-ditch emergency-only defensive weapon.

(I can hear gun owners on the board freaking out right now).

----

Here are some things to consider about the S hitting the F:

- The MOST important item to have in an emergency is a PLAN

- Without a PLAN no amount of water, food, shelter or guns will help

I won't lecture because I sense you are distressed. The good news is that being 'aware' that a SHTF situation is possible places you ahead of 90% of the population.

I recommend taking a look at this GREAT mom-friendly preparedness site:

Made Easy

It is a wonderful place to get started with preparedness, including creating a plan with your children. She basically walks you through it in ten easy steps.

It doesn't cover guns, but it includes all the important information you need before considering home-defense.

You will get more gun advice than you can absorb in this thread, so rather than try and process it all, get a start on practical preparation.

Mostly, though, refer to Rule 1: Don't Panic.

I have the extremely good fortune of being 'plugged-in' to several sources in the public-safety and government sectors. There will be no poop-splattering in the urgent near future, so store that away in the back of your mind and make a firm resolution today to create a plan for you and your children.

A friend showed me this when I start getting stressed (which is a LOT).

Take a deep breath like this - Inhale for four seconds (count them in your head). Hold the breath for four seconds. Exhale over four seconds. Wait four seconds before inhaling again.

Do this three times and your head will be clear, and it melts stress away.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is an easy one: For me an AR15 with a 16" barrel chambered 5.56 with a 1/7 twist. This is a very flexible weapon with many choices in ammo. It is a good compromise for both self defence and hunting here on the east coast.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I'm in California.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Thank you that was extremely helpful.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
definately a .22LR or hornet... Small ammo can carry 10,000 rounds in a rucksack with a precise shot can kill anything as big as a deer and as little as a squirrel... It would be a wildlife buffet, which living where i live i have alot of ... take care guys.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Excellent thread...i would have to side with dooper...my remington 700P in .308..of course with my guillee suit
...now...only if my dillon press was collapsable and had a backpack for it

[edit on 6-8-2009 by consciousdrum]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I must admit that I have not read ALL responses to this thread, perhaps someone has already mentioned this...

But as a point of order, I feel as I must at least mention the fact that if a "SHOTGUN" is to be considered within a thread calling for examples of "rifles" as a "singular" primary survival weapon, something of note is worthy of mentioning...

Correct me if I am wrong here, but is it not true that one must purchase a specifically "rifled bore shotgun barrel" to effectively utilize the long distance aspects of a "slug round" in a shotgun???

For example:

The Fully Rifled Slug Barrel: Mossberg® has been making rifles and rifling barrels for years, therefore, it seemed obvious:

If rifled barrels improved the accuracy of rifles, then why not a rifled bore for a shotgun barrel. A rifled bore has a shallow groove machined into the full length of the bore with a very slight twist.

The grooves impart rotary motion to a projectile, which results in improved and consistent accuracy (the uncut surface areas are called "lands.")

Intent on providing the ultimate in slug shooting accuracy and after extensive testing of barrels and ammunition, Mossberg® began producing fully rifled shotgun barrels in concert with distributing newly engineered sabot style slug ammunition.

Shortly thereafter, the major ammunition manufacturers began producing their own sabot style slugs specifically for the rifled barrels, while scope manufacturers designed optics to withstand a shotgun's recoil.

A combination of innovative products from within the firearms industry was the dramatic response to shooters' demands for long-range shotgun accuracy. The results were impressive, taking the average bushel-basket group at 50 yards, to 3" groups at 100 yards.

Complementing features like improved rifle-style sights, integral scope bases and Dual-Comb® stocks were developed specifically for the new slug guns.

While sabot-style slugs perform best in fully rifled barrels, traditional rifled slugs have also improved immensely, and are recommended for smooth-bore barrels.
www.mossberg.com...

Now even though the design of slugs can impart a certain degree of "projectile spin" it kinda seems a "no brainer" that barrel rifling would greatly improve distance accuracy.

Just somthin' for yall to consider... i'm not trying to derail the discussion, just trying to add what I think is a valid point

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Snisha]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It's a hard question. I have decided AR.

I have done tac carbine matches with several rifles, I have never won with the SOCOM II. I have won a couple with the AK. But I would hate to get into a gunfight with me when I have my AR. It is nothing short of magic. Yeah it's about 2500$ worth. 16" varmint barrel, jewel trigger, PSG1 grip, alum free float hand guard. Ace stock. Topped with a leupold 3-9x LR reticle. It has basically mildots below the crosshairs, so that you set your zero at 200m, and then the first mildot is set at 300m, second is 400m, and the fat part of the duplex is set at 500. With it on 3x, it is decent for CQB. In concert with a laser range finder, 0-500m is like cheating it's so easy. The heavy barrel means no recoil, for insanely fast follow up shots, and the Jewel 2-stage set trigger is 1-3/4# on the first stage, and ,5# with no creep on the second stage for long range work. I roll with 1/7" rifling so it likes heavy bullets. It does ok with anything heavier than 55gr. I shoot 69 gr hornady match bullets.

This is my 3-gun and tac carbine gun, as well as the gun I take when I call coyotes.

If I could only have one gun, I'd go with my AR.

I would not even consider a shotgun for this role.

"Without me, my rifle is worthless. Without my rifle, I am worthless."

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

The op specified rifle, or shotgun. Your right about the slugs, and long distance accuracy. Sure, but grounding the testosterone down here in the thread, I don't think that many people practice 'sharp shooting' on a daily basis.

I'm not too far off the mark considering many midwestern states don't allow hunting with rifles; only with shotguns. The reason is too many idiots with 'balls of steel' 'who knew how to shoot' ended up shooting the hunter in the next field.

Each fire arm has it's place, and each person has a specific weapon which works best for them. There are only perceptions of "best"; no absolutes.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

I'm in California.

Unfortunately, California is one of the strictist states concerning gun laws...

If memory serves me correctly, California state law prohibits any assault rifle from exceeding 10 rounds at a time.

I know they have to have a magazine release safety equipped on AR 15s....so the point being, becuase of such restrictions you're better off going with either a...

30-06, like a Savage 110, very affordable and accurate. You could pick one up for around $200 if you do your due dilligence searching...and then invest in a cheap but reliable scope for under $100 (3X9), like the manufacturer Barska.

You'll need another $100 or so for about a 500 rounds.

All in all, it's not a cheaply made weapon, accurate, and easy to shoot. Every country boy in Georgia starts out with this rifle, especially to hunt deer. Will hold 5 rounds at a time and is easy to looad.

...Your next choice would be a SKS (their legal), hold 10 round magazines, striper clip reloadable and most of all reliable. In addition, you won't go wrong with the 7.62 ammo, which will knock anyone and anything on it's ass.

It's considered the ultimate urban weapon for California (Unless your law enforcement or a criminal), and you'd be looking at about the same, $200 if you put the time into searching.

IMO the best two weapons to choose from considering your needs and price range.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

You are correct. A rifled shotgun barrel is far more accurate when firing slugs and sabot than a smoothbore.

The bulk of my combat experience, I carried a Winchester Model 12 that had been "modified" by a master armorer. A slot cut into the loading gate, the first pistol grip I'd ever seen, and a slightly 'ovaled' barrel for optimal combat pattern - but that was smoothbore.

I carried a bandolier and a half of 00Buck, and half a bandolier of slugs. Great for busting though brush, walls, truck doors and in general, whatever you want to punish.

I'm not carrying two barrels for a shotgun. If you're in dense brush, swamps, jungle, or heavy forests, then a shotgun is really good.

If you have fairly broken or open country, you need range. Range a slug won't provide with any accuracy.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I would go with a bolt action .308/7.62 Nato.

I prefer the Mausers. Very accurate, and plenty of stopping power for anything. And the ammo should be plentifull.

If thats not to your liking go with a .223/5.56 NATO AR or as others have mentioned a .22

Hope that helps

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join