One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
A friend of mine recently bought one of those little .17 rifles and brought it over to the house to try it out. At first, I kinda rolled my eyes and snickered about it, made a few jokes about how small it was, then I shot it... WOW. After seeing this thing in action, I'm thinking about getting one for myself and while it's not a monsterous caliber, it would definately bring in small game and is a hell of an intimidating sound, damned thing sounded like a 30-30 lol. It is small enough to fit into a back-pack, the ammo is relatively inexpensive, and it's amazingly accurate.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a stainless steel 12 ga.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by uaocteaou

This man speaks the truth. Especially since Ruger made the upgrades on the Mini.
They're super reliable under any condition, the garand style action is very rugged, the .223 ammo is still small enough to carry, the recoil is very light, and you can drop men, deer, bear (yes bear, i've seen it done), hogs (i've dropped 300 pounders with FMJ), all the way down to small game.

This is my choice followed secondly by a bolt-action .22. The .22 because the .22 is the best rifle for wilderness survival...which is where i'd be headed if the SHTF.

...and lol @ a shotgun for SHTF over a long haul. Have fun luggin that ammo!

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Romans 10:9]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Blah blah blah...

You need something simple, reliable and with abundantly available ammo.

My choice is my SKS.

Devastating out to 300 yds, easy to clean, lasts forever and ammo is cheap and abundant.

It ain't pretty but it's not a delicate flower like the AR and it doesn't need some exotic wildcat ammo.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I own a lot of firearms and I have to say, for an all around rifle that would have many uses. The .22, you cant go wrong. Carry lots of ammo...lots and lots of ammo, little recoil, very quite compared to other rifles, easy to breakdown and care for and clean. In my opinion a no brainer.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
ATS for some reason posted my response twice.
The one below is my only response.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
reply to post by twitchy

The thing with those small caliber rifles is you have to use more than one round depending on the size of the thing you are trying to bring down.

Small game like a rabbit or such if you are a good shot one round is enough.

Larger game two rounds is fine.Just aim for the about shoulders put one round and since they're possibly moving one more trigger pull will get them either in the vital organs or the flank area.

A two legged animal will take three pulls to insure it don't just get mad at you.

Aim for the abdomen and then pull three quick shots.

The weapon will rise and you will have a shot in the stomach or chest and then a head shot if you are lucky.

Don't hesitate when shooting survey the target and determine the shots and squeeze then off in quick succession.

Leave the weapon to your shoulder and view the target through the sights to see if it is still moving.

This will provide a safe distance and you time to aim and take it down if it is.

A wrist rocket sling shot with extra tubing will be a invaluable weapon to have also.

People need to stop thinking modern weapons and think about what man used to kill with before we were "civilly" industrialized.

A story and a lesson to be learned

One of the last minor battles of world war 2 is considered the last known instance of total hand to hand combat.

A Japanese garrison on the island of Leyte was not being re-supplied because of their supply ships having been torpedoed coming down the "slot".

Both the Japanese officers and enlisted were conscripts, not regular trained soldiers.

The Filipino guerrillas knew this and harassed them nightly until the harried Japanese soldiers exhausted their ammunition.

The Filipinos kept them from surviving on local foodstuffs and even poisoned their water supplies.

A few flea bitten dogs which they quickly butchered and ate, made things, worse after the fleas vacated their no longer living host and found new blood to bite.

The Filipinos also knew when the full moon was to be.

They even told the garrison commander that was the night they would all die!

And when the moon was just, at the right angle so it was at their back and in the Japaneses eyes they came in mass out of the jungle.

But,not before, the few old guns the Filipinos had, and rounds for them,was fired from the hands of men on the opposite side of the garrison.

Spaced evenly apart they gave a whistle and fired off the rounds and faked a charged out of the jungle.

The Japanese thinking this was the full force, turned to these attackers and their backs to about a thousand Filipinos with Bolo knives, machetes and long sturdy sharpened bamboo spears, now really charging out of the jungle!

The battle was fierce but quick.

When it ended ALL the Nippon invaders lay dead, except for one,the garrison commander.

A very few Fillipinos died, but many were wounded from bayonet stabbings.

The garrison commander was spared, only until the next day when he was publicly hung, at noon time, with all the women his men had raped and all those who were made widows standing in the front, so he could see their faces and smiles.

For some, it was the first time they had smiled, in years.

The leader of all the citizen warriors spoke to him in English, which he knew the man could speak and understand.

"The world may never know what transpired here in the last few days.
It will not be written in history books or debated by military scholars.
But, we you see before you, know their children and grand children will be told and to never forget this day.

He continued,"You should also know, that I have been told that yesterday,General MacArthur has fulfilled his promise to return and liberate his beloved Philippines.He and his forces are all the east side of the island coming this way with little or no resistance."

Smiling he continued,"we will leave your body hanging here until he arrives so he can see first hand our bravery. But before you die we will entertain you."

He turned, and the crowd started to sing in broken English.

The American national anthem.

All three verses!

And they all had big smiles on their faces!

At this time, the Philippines was still a commonwealth of the U.S.A. because the war had delayed their independence.

Then, they hung him and left his body to rot,until General MacArthur's men cut him down.

I was told this tale,by and old man, when I noticed a scar on his bare back and a smaller scar on his shoulder and ask how he had received them.

When he pointed to the other old men sitting in font of the local barrio sari-sari store and said they could tell me, he was speaking the truth,because they were there also,I looked at the owner of the store and told him to bring us all San Miguel's until there was no more.

It was an honor to be in the presence of such brave, determined and resolute men and in all actuality, American patriots.[/1]

Remember, a rifle and pistol is only as good as the ammo you can carry and have on hand.

And NEVER take for granted those whose blood has built the ONLY land, THEY call home, and can only tolerate the invaders that occupy it to a point,for so long.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Having also spent (so far) most of my adult life in the army, i'd have to go with an AR type as this weapon is the one I am most familiar with. Until I can afford one of those though, i'd have to go with my current investment; a savage arms bolt action .308 with Leupold scope.
Personally I dont plan on leaving the house during a shtf situation for at least a couple months, and have planned accordingly. In a split level, brick-over-cinder-block home i've found the "sweet spot" where I can cover the front and back entrances from one concealed position. Thats the blessing and the curse of having spent my first enlistment in the infantry i suppose....I view every place for its tactical advantage.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
i'm easy to please, just don't try and take it away.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Question was rifle or shotgun, one or the other, right?

Rifle please. Whether it be a .22 rimfire or a .416 Rigby, you can reach out and touch someone a lot further than with a shotgun.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
AK-47

Yuri said it best....

"Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export."

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

I think a pump shotgun is better than an automatic because it will function without pause; they can be cycled as fast as an automatic with practice.

Is the "function without pause" the only reason that you would choose the pump over the automatic? Would the noise difference be significant enough to make the automatic a better choice for hunting?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i understand some of the good choices- but right- a rifle is different than a shotgun.
i like shotguns as my eyesight is so miserable- teddy roosevelt took a shotgun up san juan hill. .. so as to a rifle- i has a sks carbine i liked alot.
the ruger carbine is excellent..saiga makes a good rifle so i hear.
i'll just have to get by with this old coach gun and a few dozen buckshot shells.
wouldnt mind having a high cap auto pistol.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'l be carrying the new Sig 516 Patrol in 5.56 NATO (also fired .223) due to its incredible reliability. This can be dunked in water, buried in sand, buried in mud and it still fires!!! See it here!

I have owned a Sig 556 and loved the accuracy and reliability. I pumped well over 10K rounds through it and have never had a jam - not one! I have treaded that in for the new 516 which is lighter and better as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Very sweet set up. Is the pistol grip on the fore end useful? Also, you do have iron sights on your gun too? (In case you bust the scope) And what do you think of the .308 argument...need a MBR calibre et cetera? Thanks!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is a tough one. As far as reliability goes and a Chinese/Russian invasion or something of the sort, I would go with my mini-30. Superior to the ar in all but one category....out of box accuracy. I think of it as an ak/m1 hybrid. But in normal circumstances, I would have to go with my Enfield which fires the 7.62x51. Same round as the .308 but lower pressure. On the other hand, a few 30 round mags for my mini does sound quite appealing. So far i just have a red dot and 20 round mag, but I am not finished with modifications. Anyone know a good ruger gunsmith?

[edit on 10-8-2010 by willzilla]

[edit on 10-8-2010 by willzilla]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
As for my 2 coppers .

Pump 12 gauge is what I would chose if ONLY 1 . Remington or a Mossburg both have held up well for me over the years have a 20 g rem and a 12 Mossburg

Bird shot for small animals 00 buck for predators or the good old slug 1 1/8 ounce of pure mean lead smacking a target sure has some knock down power even if they are wearing a bullet proof vest wont penetrate but will knock em down and put em down for a few maybe a couple broken ribs gives you time to get away or get a better shot . A slug will put down almost any animal short of a rhino or elephant never been near them to say yea or nay. But in North America there is nothing here a 12 G wont kill .

Nothing says LEAVE ME ALONE better than cambering a 12g round .

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well, what ever you use, don't buy it used from the NY police dept.
"Man shot 21 times and survives"
That thread was just over this one on the most recent post page...

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
An SKS is a good overall gun to own. It is easy to operate, clean, break
down, and the 7.62 X 39 ammo is not too spendy. I bought a brand new
SKS out of the box for only around $140.00. If you buy a case of ammo,
it turns out to be a fairly inexpensive rifle to own and shoot.

Another good choice is the Henry U.S. Survival AR-7. It shoots a .22 LR.
It has a 8 round magazine, breaks down to where the barrel and
receiver stores in the stock, weighs only 2 1/4 pounds, made of plastic
and is totally waterproof when broken down and stowed. If you drop it
in the water, river, lake, etc. it actually floats and can be retrieved very
easily. For the price of around $250.00 total cost (plus tax) it comes with
a corrugated carrying case with handle. It is only 16 1/2 inches long when
stowed. It is model # H002B. It is an awesome little gun for all around
shooting and can bring in some small game for survival if needed.

It may not be big enough to ward off a large animal or an advancing
army, but it will get their attention.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I base my choice partly on what is available. It also has to be versatile. I may have to hunt for my dinner with it and I might have to defend myself with it--I just don't know. It also has to be light enough not to be a burden, easy to take apart and clean. It also has to be reasonably accurate. So my answer is an AR-15. Bushmaster is a nice brand, but there are many others.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join