It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Signs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by M157yD4wn

You are right on target!!

I'd heard a little about the mind control and speaking into our minds with technology, so I'm about to check out your link

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I watched the two videos...

WTF!!!!!!

Omigosh, they are so serious.....they are trying to keep us reminded about the second coming and even had the audacity of what we will need to look for........

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
When did I even imply that I assumed all these people do is spend money on signs?
Feel free to use the quoting mechanism

Fine. Each of your following statements is your assumption that the people responsible for the billboards are NOT spending their money directly on helping the needy.

I would think the money could be better spent on feeding the poor and or helping others with basic necessities.

You dont think that kind of money could go directly to helping a lot of hungry people?

asserting money spent on a billboard could ever be better than putting food in a childs mouth seems quite odd

the money could probably go for a purpose that could help people directly.

those multiple thousands of dollars spent on advertising could have been used in a more humanitarian way

that kind of money could be more wisely spent.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I have attended many churches in my life;

As have I. All be it when I was much younger. But I also graduated from a catholic high school... I have a good understanding of the well placed intentions most churches have and the good acts many of them have accomplished.

I would like to point out that I have done no Christian bashing or shown any prejudice (regardless of what some would say) in this thread or any other for that matter...

I have watched churches prosper greatly, and watched them starve away to nothing. There is a pattern: those who follow the religion and place charity, love, forgiveness, and God Himself before money prosper; those who begin to crave money do not. I do not even speak here of the sermons and admonitions made from the pulpit: it is the actions of the leaders (and members) of the church that mean soooooo much more than any sermon.

This to me is where the crux lies within Christianity, or any other religion.

But it is not always so regarding the more prosperous churches and the failing ones. I have seen it play out the other way around. For example there is a small community in California, with no more than 25,000 people. Very few of them go to a denominaitional church. My mom went to the episcipalian church for 15 years. At the end when she prepared to move to live with me and my wife there were less than 80 members attending regular service. Most elderly with not much expendible income. The church was struggling to find ways to survive...There was a woman who served as the pastor. A most excellent pastor that did everything she could for the people of the congregation. A great example of a church serving the community and taking little to nothing from them...Yet failing.

On the other side of town there was a non-denominational church. The congregation was large and full every Sunday. My friends parents went there and I attended at times to be with my friends. This was a time when I had no doubt in the teachings I was taught about the Bible and Christianity. Everytime I went to the Church there seemed to be some bickering about others, or the pastor and his past vices (vices that returned to him years later after being the pastor). Many of the congregation drove expensive cars, lived in expensive houses and the pastor always had a nice truck... Does that mean they are bad people? Absolutely not, but it is clear the older more traditional church was beginning to see the last of its days, and the more new age evangelical style church that had done so well in appealing to the wealthy was thriving.

Hopefully you see my point. And this is but a small example. I think it is so very obvious the manipulation being deployed by some of these evangelicals on such channels as TBN. It is quite sickening, to be honest.

Anyway, some questions worth asking are At what point during a persons faith does real truth and reality take precedence over the teachings and lessons that can be learned and applied throughout life? Does real truth ever even matter?

That may not be the most articulate way of asking these types of questions. But for many who attend such services and go to be preached to don't look at the big picture. They focus on the parts that currently can be attributed to them and their life in some way (I am not saying that is a bad thing). But they do not consider some of the other teachings that take a much more in depth study of scripture to determine their value and yet they take them at face and literally of what they are being told by the man at the front of the pues with out question...

To answer my question about precedence (in my own terms). The answer is no. The truth of when, where, how and why the Bible is written, some of its more esoteric lessons, and the dogma associated with its traditions are not as important as the every day lessons that can be attained by the common man listening to interpretations by those who wish to share their views, or simply by reading the Bible themselves.

But the way I have been raised, the truth and reality is very important. I consider myself a realist. And for those of us who wish to see past the top layer of morality the Bible does a good job at portraying, taking a logical, sensible approach to the entire history of different religions (including Christianity) is more important than using only it for guidance in morality issues.

Do you see what I am saying? I agree with you about the actions of the leaders and congregation being more important than the sermons and preaching that comes out of the mouths of those who wish to preach the "word of God"

One last note I would like to add: Earths inhabitants will survive with or without the religions of the Bible. People existed before their inception, and even attained advanced societal structures without its moral and principle structures. This can not be denied.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Exactly. Look at each one of those quotes you quoted me on. Read them. Dont attach your bias interpretation to what i am saying. And then read your accusation. "That I have assumed tthey spend all their money on billboards..."..

Have I said "all their money is going to billboards? Therefore they must not be spending it on the poor..."

NO, I have not said anything of the sort. The evidence being in your quoting of me.

Grow up, and stop trying to put words in my mouth. Your feeble attempts at deflecting the thread are pathetic...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Misfit

"That I have assumed tthey spend all their money on billboards..."..

Grow up

You have a hell of a way of twisting facts little boy, I never said you claimed nor assumed that ALL there money went to billboards, but you already know that. I said that by your own statements, which I have quoted as per your request, that you are assuming that they are NOT spending any of their money directly helping the needy. Maybe you should go back to my first reply to you on page 2 in order to verify that.

"Grow up" ........ that's just friggen funny. Are you always so immaturely hostile to those who don't agree with you? Nevermind, you seem to be one of those that if one does not agree with your views, or questions your views, you get defensive to the point of frothing at the mouth. Here ....... have a quaalude and mellow the hell out.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I said that by your own statements, which I have quoted as per your request, that you are assuming that they are NOT spending any of their money directly helping the needy.

read your own statement. I highlighted your poor assumptions, and why it is that you are wrong...

So who is twisting the facts "little boy"? When have I said "they are spending all their money on billboards"? Huh? Quote it, bud. I would like to see a keyboard jockey like yourself call me a little boy to my face.

Whose calling names? Whos cursing?

Ill repeat myself:

Grow Up

then calm down and take your meds...

[edit on 2-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

When have I said "they are spending all their money on billboards"?

What is your major malfunction?

I never said that you claimed nor assumed that they spent ALL their moeny on billboards.

I said you are assuming that they don't spend ANY money on the needy.

There is clearly no reasoning with your twisted little juvenile mind. Good bye.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

It is disconcerting to see how they approach the matter. They use Neuro Linguistic Programming NLP in their commercials and on their websites. No honest people would be using this method to get their point across, IMO. It can be used to cheer people up, or better someones mood, but on the Share Intl website it affects the reader by imparting a sense of worshipfulness and holiness. Downright nauseating.

All these dang ELF EHF and "cell towers" popping up, packed so densely within a relatively small area, is Maitreyas mouthpiece, so to speak. i dont know why more people don't look into this. Theres definitely something sinister and deceptive going on, and it all ties together with other long held conspiracy theories.

HAARP+Cell Towers+Digital TV+U.N.+ Share Intl+ Maitreya+ Swine Flu Depop= Project Blue Beam

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Since moving to Las Vegas over a year go now there has been something odd I have noticed.

Billboards with the word 'GOD' on them. Or something to do with God. Different names of God. Jewish names, Islamic names, and different Christian names. Its odd though, because considering what billboards are used for (advertisement) you would think there would be at least a church associated with the sign. Something with motivations to encourage people to come to their particular church to learn about God, or something of the sort.

But no, no phone number, no address or affiliation at all. Just multiple billboards all around Vegas with the single word or small phrases representing an omnipotent being.

Whoever is paying for such advertisements, I would think the money could be better spent on feeding the poor and or helping others with basic necessities.

I am wondering if this is something location centric to Vegas specifically or if they have appeared other places as well.

Its very odd and I dont understand the motivations.

If anyone could shed some light that would be great. Also if you have noticed them in your area please speak up.

thanks.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

Yea i too live in vegas and have seen them everywhere. At first i was wondering the meaning because like he said no advertisement but each poster has names of different religion leaders. I've only seen a god,jesus, and yahweh one so far but heard there's more around. I kind of perceive it as them saying that they are all the same. If you need a figure to look up to and live a righteous life for one another. I personally think we are more in control than we know(we are all creators), But if people need some guidelines or other perspectives they should check out some of those teachings . my bad for rambling

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

But Im still confused as to how this ties into the billboards??

Unles you are just implying anything to do with religion is part of the conspiracy??

I dont know..wheres the correlation with the signs? Im just asking. Please dont take it the wrong way...

some people have a hard time with context...myself being one of them...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by verastyle

Ya, thanks for being rational..Some have taken my post as some sort of attack on religion...small minded people grasping at straws.

I just had questions as to why they are there...

I don tsee this as some infringement on peoples beliefs, and Im not sorry I posted the thread...

there will always be extremists looking to flame...

How long have you noticed them?.. i know they have been around for at least the last year...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
welllll i was out last night and looking around as i always do and i saw as plain as day GOD in a one of those neon signs with some of the letters out but it had a capital G as well.....i thought of this as soon as i saw it....weirrrrrd!

[edit on 2-8-2009 by soldier8828]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by soldier8828

they definitely seem to be in many different places! thanks for the reply and observation!

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

I would like to point out that I have done no Christian bashing or shown any prejudice (regardless of what some would say) in this thread or any other for that matter...

I agree. You have been (to me anyway) very civil and have some insightful thoughts (I'm not getting into the disagreements with other posters; I have no dog in that race). Normally when I enter these types of discussions, I am lambasted by those who are out to disprove the Bible no matter the cost or the assumptions that must be made. As I stated in my opening post, I would not even attempt to debate or discuss in that environment; the very fact that I am still posting verifies that I have found your manner toward me civil. Enjoyable, even.

Hopefully you see my point. And this is but a small example.

I do indeed see your point. However, I believe it may be both of us on this example who are staggering around blindly. It is rare for even a member of a church to know what is and is not happening in the leadership (one of the things I find myself wondering about whenever I see a church growing or declining rapidly). The Episcopalian church you mentioned did have one failing: it failed to attract a younger group of people. That is what I call an 'old folks waiting room', and it is the reason for many churches decline. The purpose of Christianity lies not in feel-good repentance for a life lived on the world, but in calling to the younger people who have a life full of choices ahead of them. Thus, those churches who do draw younger people will survive, while those who do not will wither.

That does not mean a church can prosper by changing its basic tenets because a lot of people don't like them. The religious principles must be followed or the church will lose its identity and purpose. But a church can draw youth without changing what it believes. As an example, my children attend the church they do because it has in the past ran a church van to make it easier for young people to make it to church when their families worked, they have an awesome choir (really more of a singing group; I feel like I am at a concert sometimes, just that the songs have a religious meaning), they have a youth 'drama' group (as in choreographed interpretive dancing), and they are trying to assemble a live band out of the congregation (which my son is extremely involved in). In short, they make worship fun!

There was a movie many years ago called "Sister Act" starring Whoopi Goldberg. If you are familiar with it, it sums up how I feel a church should operate.

The truth of when, where, how and why the Bible is written, some of its more esoteric lessons, and the dogma associated with its traditions are not as important as the every day lessons that can be attained by the common man listening to interpretations by those who wish to share their views, or simply by reading the Bible themselves.

Oh, the arrogance, to think that the average person can be trusted to read the Bible for themselves! (
)

You and I see eye-to-eye on this. The sermon that gets preached every Sunday is a message (supposedly) sent from God through the preacher. But it is easily possible for that preacher, who is after all human, to get it a bit wrong. I always have my Bible at hand to verify what is being read, and I study it to make sure the interpretation makes sense. If it does not, then the whole sermon is quite probably full of errors.

A true thirst for knowledge and wisdom will cause one to delve into the material themselves. Just as I used to read ahead ravenously in chemistry class and hated cracking a geography book, people will tend to read voraciously on a subject they have a true interest in. That same principle holds true for those who actually want to know what's in the Bible; they will only read it if they have a true interest in it.

One last note I would like to add: Earths inhabitants will survive with or without the religions of the Bible. People existed before their inception, and even attained advanced societal structures without its moral and principle structures. This can not be denied.

I have a different take on this subject. History seems to get pretty fuzzy as one travels back through the archaeological records. It is true that the Bible is dated in only thousands of years, a blink of an eye compared to the age of the planet, and quite probably of life on the planet. Yet, what happened before the Bible? The book is composed of written tales which were no doubt handed down via word of mouth from generation to generation through pre-history before the actual writing of them.

There is a truth to the creation of the earth and of mankind. We are all searching for that truth. Some believe they have found it in evolutionary theory; others believe they have found iot through the Bible and other religious texts. Still others look toward legend and mysticism. But despite anyone's beliefs or evidence, there must be one story that is true. The disagreement is simply about which of the many versions of prehistory are true.

Now, suppose for a brief moment, that there was a Supreme Creator, and that He did do something similar to what was written down in Genesis 1. There would be no record of it, because no one wrote. But there would be stories passed down from father to son and from mother to daughter. As time passes, these stories can easily become twisted and bear little resemblance to their original form.

Enter divine inspiration. Should that Supreme Creator wish His creation to know what happened, He could send the message through prophets to be written down for later generations. That is what I believe happened. We still have some trouble with the translations, but we seem to be getting closer as we as a group study and consider the words in the context of their time period. Perhpas we will have all the answers eventually; perhaps not. But to be honest, I personally enjoy the journey.

I know we may disagree on this last part. It is irrelevant, as long as we both search faithfully and dutifully for that one truth.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

It ties in because i have a notion Share International are the ones who are sponsoring the billboards. It makes perfect sense,IMO. If there is a way to find out who is paying for these billboards, and im sure there is a way, theres no doubt in my mind you'd find Share Intl behind it.

Vegas has many visitors from the world over, and what better place to drop subliminal messaging than on a billboard? Grok?

Love and Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I am lambasted by those who are out to disprove the Bible no matter the cost or the assumptions that must be made.

I hear you. Normally, those that lash out harshly are stuck in the mud when it comes to having a well rounded understanding about faith, Christianity and the Bible in particular.

I dont claim to know it all, but I have done my fair share of deliberating on the subject, especially the Judeo- Christian religion. But a huge reason for my continual return to places like ATS is because we can always find another perspective, and that is what it is all about.

Enjoyable, even.

Likewise.

There was a movie many years ago called "Sister Act" starring Whoopi Goldberg. If you are familiar with it, it sums up how I feel a church should operate.

Absolutely. Great movie...

My main point I was trying to address was that a church can prosper, but in many cases it doesn't have a lick to do with its congregations vigor belief in God, traditions, values or well placed intentions. It can be a business, and a profitable one at that. The church I mentioned is but a tiny example of such ventures. You can turn on the boob tube and see just how profitable they actually can be via TBN and other faith based programming. In my opinion this is a gross form of usury of people of a faith. They constantly ask for donations in differnt forms and also do their best to sell there dvds and other such products promoting their (in my opinion) unholy, unwise, poorly wrapped up interpretations of a faith most of them know little about. The latest and greatest in this form of extortion lies in many of the evangelical churches. The Catholic church also was a champion of this kind of evil all throughout the first and second millenia.

Again though, does that make a religion invalid? No. Does it make these people who attend these churches vile or evil? Of course not. I would easily contest that 95% of them are but the salt of the earth, and want nothing more than to find their place in heaven through a relationship with God.

That leads me to my second point. While it is common practice today within Christianity to practice your faith in a physical building called a "church", No where in the teachings of Jesus Christ does it say to build multi million dollar buildings to worship God, or spend thousands on a billboard for that matter.

If it does not, then the whole sermon is quite probably full of errors.

You know this is the thing. Firstly, it is very difficult to determine some of the messages of the Bible and how to interpret them correctly. Arrogance? Yes, many of those who think they know and understand the Bible are arrogant. They believe what they have been raised to believe is the truth and anyone who questions this is anything but correct. But, for me personally, it come back to the question I posed in my last reply to you: Does the truth really matter?

In this instance, no. The truth really does not matter. Not only is it close to impossible to recognize what these ancient humans had to say about their life, interpretting it for todays time is a whole other beast and few theologians admit to being able to accurately do so. And not all of them agree when they do think they have something figured out. Then there is the whole wording of the hebrew language. Very difficult to translate in todays common languages and contextual wording is very unsimilar...

For example of a commonly misinterpreted story:
The commonly told story where Jesus tells you to turn the other cheek. Many interpret this story to be about peace, or not an eye for an eye as the old testament goe into. This is where a good knowledge of history helps to shed light on the true intentions of Christs teachings. Hopefully I can share this story in as few words as possible.

OK during during Jesus' time, Jews were looked upon as second class citizens and even were slaves in many cases. Common knowledge. But what people are not aware of were common unwritten laws of the day. When a Roman soldier decided to reprimand a slave, he could only do it with the palm of his hand. He was not allowed to hit (with a clenched fist) or the back of his hand. If the roman did so the slave had the right to defend himself and could fight back. So Jesus told his fellow Jews to turn the other cheek. now think about it. If you turned the other cheek while someone was slapping you across the face, wha tdoes that force that person to do? Use the back of his hand to continue beating you or stop. So, if a Roman used the back of his hand the Jew could then retaliate without reprocussion.

Another example:

The "walk the extra mile" story. Same scenario, a roman soldier could order a slave or Jew to force them to carry thier backpack for him for one mile and one mile only. If the Roman was caught having the slave carry his load for more than a mile he would be reprimanded and scolded by his officer. So Jesus told them to walk the extra mile, for the soldier that made the Jew carry the backpack to get in trouble...

One last one that I can think of off the top of my head.

When a thief steals your garment to give him your shirt. In ancient Jewish culture it was a shame for a person to see your naked skin. If someone were to steal your coat and over garment, Jesus taught you were to give him your shirt as well, so he could be shamed for what he had done.

And by the way, I was told this by a very devout Christian scholar. One who had been studying the Bible for over 12 years. I certainly did not come up with them on my own.

So you see, it is not even clear on New Testament teaching from Jesus, how do you think that most people can truly understand and interpret teachings from the old testament that are over 3 thousand, 4 thousand years old?

But is it of absolute importance that people know these tangents of the stories? I dont think so. Are the ones being taught in Sunday school just as important. Probably...

History seems to get pretty fuzzy as one travels back through the archaeological records

I have often admitted that if I were to adhere to any religion it would be Judaism. For its age, wisdom of its authors and great stories. I really wish at times I had the time and desire to study it more.

Ok that being said, you are correct, ther are so many conflicting findings when it comes to the historical aspects of the Old testament is is very difficult to determine who is telling the truth and if they actually found what they think they found.

Normally when people consider the torah as documentation of the beginning of time, I actually agree with them. For the Jews that is exactly what it is. Oral traditions pased down to explain there beginnings. But people often forget there are 7 continents with many different races of human beings. The Old testament was written in a tiny portion of just one of them.

There are hundreds if not thousands of artifacts that can be dated even before even the Sumerians. From ancient indians to the orientals, so many options are left out of the torah that it could never account for the beginnings of the entire human race...

Again is it important that people have a fully developed understanding of such facts? I dont think so. Even though I dont find the creation story to represent the beginnings of time, doesnt mean there cant be valuable lessons attained from studying it. I will speak up when someone has labeled it 100% truth, but for the most part I try to go by the old adage: Live and let live...

To sum up my reply I will leave you with a quote from Thomas Jefferson:

It neither picks my pocket or causes me injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty Gods or no God

or something like that...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Interesting..Share Intl??

Why would they want to do such a thing? Seems like a big waste for any conspiratorial reason...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

The End Game is New World Order

And guess what? I worked at AT&T and back in Sept during our trainingclass we were told that some cell towers are camoflouged..

Why?

We were told that some even look like trees..so there are fake trees that look extremely real but they are cell towers....

Unlike the rest of the unawaken people in that training class, I needed to know why they disguise most cell towers as trees...the trainer stated that its to make a neat appearance to the cities, so that they blend in with the surroundings...

hmmmmm.......

And just FYI AT&T, along with MIT, IBM, all branches of the military ( I'm a former Marine) and a host of other gov't corporations are all apart of the Tavistock Institute ( the brainwashing think tank) for the New World Order.

You've heard of it:

Depopulation agenda ( a.k.a. Healthcare reform) to reduce world population through denying continual healthcare for the elderly and terminally ill, forced abortions/ sterilizations, planned parenthood, Swine FLu and other manmade viruses, and promoting homsexuality

RFID human implant chips

FEMA camps (a.k.a concetration camps)

martial law ( goodbye Constitution...don't belive me? look at your Bill of Rights and count how many you have left)

fluoride ( to keep you good and dumb)

No Child Left Behind ( to keep the youth dumb and easy to control)

one world currency

Project Blue Beam ( U. S. Governement and NASA secret project to fake the "rapture" in the realms of holgraphic 'space show')

So as you stated, there is a far bigger picture than what meets the eye..

They are serious about their agenda

[edit on 3-8-2009 by ButterCookie]

[edit on 3-8-2009 by ButterCookie]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

My main point I was trying to address was that a church can prosper, but in many cases it doesn't have a lick to do with its congregations vigor belief in God, traditions, values or well placed intentions. It can be a business, and a profitable one at that. The church I mentioned is but a tiny example of such ventures. You can turn on the boob tube and see just how profitable they actually can be via TBN and other faith based programming. In my opinion this is a gross form of usury of people of a faith. They constantly ask for donations in differnt forms and also do their best to sell there dvds and other such products promoting their (in my opinion) unholy, unwise, poorly wrapped up interpretations of a faith most of them know little about. The latest and greatest in this form of extortion lies in many of the evangelical churches. The Catholic church also was a champion of this kind of evil all throughout the first and second millenia.

Again we see the anti-Catholic rhetoric but I see you have expanded it to include all forms of evangelical churchs as well. This is the point I was making with my first post. It is not that you have an opinion but you are judging others with that opinion. Really, this whole thread was about someone or a Church or an organization putting up billboards that had 'God' on them. You judged them and said that the money could be better spent somewhere else when it was none of your business in the first place. Really, in my opinion, you didn't start this thread to ask their motivations as much as to condemn it. You wanted to judge them and let us know what your judgement was. Now, the brush is a little bigger it contains the Catholic Church and all the Evangelical denominations. Isn't there a saying about that in the Bible? "Judge not lest ye be judged"? However given what you have written above you will judge that the quote is taken out of context or only you have the true interpretation of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join