It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Signs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Can you expound on this:

Different names of God. Jewish names, Islamic names, and different Christian names.

There was one in particular that had all different names of God kind of scrambled together.

Like:

God Elohim Allah etc., etc.,

All were abrahamic. Some names were bigger than others. They were kind of jumbled. Like not in a sentence or anything...Ther have been multiple billboards in a row on very viewable locations along the 15 (the main freeway that runs through Vegas)...these are probably some of the more expensive billboards that can be purchased.

Theres one now that simply says God in black on a white background. Others have had little snippets like the one I mentioned before...But never a church in relation to the signs. I have seen them ever since I moved here, and nothing to the likes that you were talking about..like some sort of closure that will come later..always justr the same thing. they do get mixed around a bit though...

Saying my opinion is moot because the intentions are unknown doesnt make sense...

Your basically telling me that depending on the intentions of teh billboards (or depending on whether the signs represent the version of god you believe in) spending upwards of tens of thousands of dollars a month on a sign is better than using those funds directly in the community.

My opinion is not moot, but asserting money spent on a billboard could ever be better than putting food in a childs mouth seems quite odd...

[edit on 1-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'll make an attempt to answer your question, as long as my participation in this thread doesn't turn into the typical anti/pro denominational mudslinging so many of these threads tend to become. If that happens, I am outta here.

Fair warning. I have much better things to do with my time than try to teach nuclear physics to a bratty 3 year old.

The message is a simple attempt to make people stop and think about the possibility there really is a God above. It is the stated purpose of the Church to spread the Gospel (good news) of Jesus. What better way than to use a billboard?

Part of the reliance on God that marks the Christian movement is the attributing of financial resources to God. In short, we are told not to worry about how much we have, as we will be blessed with the things we need. That doesn't mean that every believing Christian will be wealthy; the New Testament is full of warnings about the trap of monetary wealth. It simply means that what we need will be provided.

Now, if one goes strictly by the letter of Biblical teachings, it works out that every person contributes ten percent of their 'increase' to the work of the Church. That tithe need not be always placed into a collection plate at the local church. Each person will be directed where their tithe is to be placed in order to do the most good. That ten percent deal also applies to the church itself! Each church is to give a tithe where they are directed to give it. In this way, one demonstrates a total reliance to and acceptance of the power of God. If God gives us the money, then why is it such a terrible thing to return a mere ten percent? Remember that the government takes 50% of everyone's income, and returns nothing but trouble.

On top of the tithes, a person may give an offering, which is to be directed again by God. Where the tithe signifies a contractual arrangement with God to provide for our needs, an offering is a different agreement, that it will be returned many fold. The catch is that an offering given in expectation of a return will not succeed; only an offering given out of pure choice to do so for good without regard to a return will receive the return. This is where many people miss it. So if you give 10% of your income to a church that has 100 members, that church has the equivalent of ten times the average income of its members. That's a lot of money to go toward charities. Each member will retain 90% of their earnings. But let's say a member gives an extra 10% as an offering. They retain only 80% of their initial income, but they receive a return of up to 100 fold on that offering. 100 x 10% = 10 times their income, so their income will increase by a factor of ten. That means their tithe will increase ten fold, to provide more money to charity work, in the process bringing more people to the Church to (hopefully) tithe and offer even more.

That's how it is supposed to work, but remember that part of the concept is you cannot give only to receive, and expect to receive. The idea of investment and return have no place in the church. The idea is that God handles each church's income by dealing directly with the members, and God is to show them the best way to use the money to help others. That's why I immediately discount any church or evangelical who cries for donations; they are placing faith in their charisma instead of God, and their time is limited.

Now that you have a foundation in the finances in the religion, we come to the idea of charity. Almost all churches participate in some form of charity. Charity is the secondary purpose of the Church, just behind spreading the word. Why would spreading the word be less important than giving to the poor and needy? BECAUSE THE POOR AND NEEDY ARE NOT OUT THERE ADVERTISING THEIR NEED! The truly needy generally do not believe in God, and therefore do not go to any church. How exactly can a church find them if they never show up?

The billboards get people to think about God, and according to what we believe, one who wholeheartedly believes in God will never truly be in need. It is an attempt to find those who need both charity and a spiritual foundation. The purpose is not to increase attendance in a particular building, but to bring relief, both spiritually and physically, to everyone. It does not matter to a dedicated believer if the person reading that billboard goes to the church that payed for it or if they go to a completely different denomination in a completely different area. All that matters is they make their presence known and allow a Higher Power to work in their lives so they are not needy any more. Imagine someone who has driven by that billboard every day for a year on their way to their nice job. Should they then lose that job and become indigent and in serious need of help, how exactly is any church to know about it? If they are like a lot of people, they will never set foot inside the doors of a church building. But it is possible that, while wallowing in the depths of despair, they may remember that billboard and simply go to a church the next Sunday. The denomination doesn't matter; all that matters is they can get some help in their time of trials.

To someone who is more familiar with the workings of business, where an advertisement is no more than a method to achieve increased income, it would be absolutely crazy to spend the money for a billboard and them not put their name on it! Imagine how silly we would consider it if McDonalds put up a billboard that simply said "Hamburgers taste good!" There would be no way they would ever know how many people decided they wanted a hamburger but went to a competitor, or who drove home that night and cooked their own hamburger. It would basically be wasted money.

But the churches do not work like that. It's not about the money, as you have already indirectly pointed out. It's all about helping others.

Maybe you should just walk into a church building next Sunday. You can always walk back out if you don't like it, and there's no charge. Show me another commercial building that isn't after your $$$.

TheRedneck

[edit on 8/1/2009 by TheRedneck]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
There was one in particular that had all different names of God kind of scrambled together.

Like:

God Elohim Allah etc., etc.,

All were abrahamic. Some names were bigger than others. They were kind of jumbled.

Thanks for answering.

When I said the point was moot regarding charity, I meant attacking a particular group for being responsible, as some have done in this thread, when we don't know who that group even is.

Although I know Allah is also just the Arabic word for God, what that sign implies is a a belief all three Gods of the Abrahamic faiths are one and the same. And although some Christians do believe that, most do not so that leads me to believe it is possible these signs are not even Christian.

Second, I mentioned it was moot because if we do not know who they are, then we don't know what they're up to. Perhaps they are trying to encourage others to their belief system and get charity donations that way.

Without any specifics, we don't really know so its not fair to criticize them. At least they're trying to share something even if it is just good feelings. If you really want to ask about charity, I'd ask atheism and their current billboard campaigns. It's quite literally an advertisement for nothing. Think of all the hungry mouths that could be fed especially if this life is truly all we have.

[edit on 8/1/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Without any specifics, we don't really know so its not fair to criticize them.

I dont see where I have given any criticism other than giving my opinion that the money could probably go for a purpose that could help people directly. And since I have said this there has been a constant barage of attacks because of it. Absurd.

edit to add: Not saying you have attacked me, just pointing out some of the posts that have been highly defensive towards my comment that their could be better usage of that kind of money...

At least they're trying to share something even if it is just good feelings. If you really want to ask about charity, I'd ask atheism and their current billboard campaigns. It's quite literally an advertisement for nothing. Think of all the hungry mouths that could be fed especially if this life is truly all we have.

I agree. Any athists billboards proclaiming their is no God is inane, and an absolute waiste. But I have not seen them, or anything even insinuating the likes. I would have been happy to include them in my OP if I had. I do my best to respect peoples faith, and hold no bias against those who choose to believe. Not my intention of this thread to cast any negative light on people of a faith.

I was mostly curious about them, and wanted to know if anyone had any insight as to their motivations. And again, no matter who posted them or what their motivations are, it is of my opinion that those multiple thousands of dollars spent on advertising could have been used in a more humanitarian way...

[edit on 1-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Redneck,

Thanks for your intelligent comments. But with all due respect I have disagreements on a few different levels.

It is the stated purpose of the Church to spread the Gospel (good news) of Jesus. What better way than to use a billboard?

To quote Mohandas Gandhi:

An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.

That should give you a clear picture of where I stand with the t.v. evangelists, the churchs that advertise and those that are out to preach. Talk is cheap when it comes down to it...

Dont get me wrong, I believe Christianity in America are the most charitable people in the world..par none. That doesnt mean everything they do is perfect. And again, posting billboards on the side of a freeway seems to me on of the least most impactful ways of preaching that I can think of.

I understand the argument that it can be poingnant in times of trial, but again, the large amounts of money it takes to advertise in such locations can be better utilized.

The idea of investment and return have no place in the church

You should tell this to the Catholic Church whom owns billions in stocks and other financial paper.

This same concept goes along with the millions of dollars poured into the construction of such grand churches. Inordinate ammounts of money that could be much better spent helping the people who contribute their last nickels and dimes titheng.

Most Christians have nothing but the best intentions with their money, but as in most life scenarios their are those at the top who feed off the poors ignnorance.

But the churches do not work like that. It's not about the money, as you have already indirectly pointed out. It's all about helping others.

I agree with you. Well placed intentions on the investors of the billboards, that doesnt justify the fact that kind of money could be more wisely spent.

Its something well have to agree to disagree on, but I am in agreement that the intentions are pure in nature...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

I think you raise a Good point. But how can you raise money for a Charity without asking people for help? Money does not automatically go to the needy. People collect it, people buy food, transport supplies. You need volunteers.

A Billboard is a good way to advertise the largest charity on the face of the Planet Earth. Religion.

I am willing to bet that Religion gives more than they keep.

Well some of them.

I would argue against the T.V. evangelists. We have one here in the Carolina's. He is in South Carolina. He just built the largest house in the entire state of South Carolina. Like a 5 million dollar crib. From money raised from T.V. evangelism.

That is one person I would not mind seeing get stuck under a steam roller.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

That is one person I would not mind seeing get stuck under a steam roller.

haha
....too good.

actually though, the best form of advertisement is word of mouth...its well known within business that if you can get people just to talk about your venture you will be ok...

billboards are probably one of the least...that and flyers...your lucky to touch 2% of your target audience...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Between the melee and the mayhem and merrymaking, then there's the earthquakes and fault lines, gee, I can't think of a better city for 'God' to be hanging over, that is for sure

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I do not know anything about advertisement so I will say you are right and I am wrong. It would seem to be a simple advertisement though. A Giant Billboard with just one word written on it? It would sure catch my eye. You ever see a Hooters restaurant billboard? Word of mouth my butt!

It really does make you think of why someone would just put the word God up on a billboard in all different ways to describe God.

I do not immediately think of an ulterior motive like a religion that preaches that all religions Gods are the same.

Someone else who is religious who is taught that there is only one God that is the God of their specific religious belief might become immediately suspicious of a sign that said "Allah" and then two miles up the road the next sign said "God".

I am not religious but I see that as being a peace effort. Kind of like extending the olive branch and saying we all believe in the same God with just different names.

Can't we all just get along?

(This is coming from an Atheist so if I offend I mean not to)

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
i haven't seen it mentioned, other than Butter Cookie bringing up Project Blue Beam, which is indeed a very probable event that may happen in the near future, and ties in to what i will now posit as my theory concerning these signs.

This is what it boils down into. i have no doubt in my mind those billboards are paid courtesy of Share-International. No doubt. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if you called up whoever it is that keeps track of such information and they told you that Share-International are the ones behind the billboards. As im sure its not private information, it should be easily attainable.

And how this ties in to the Project Blue Beam is simple. The forces behind PBB realized how absurd their idea to actually have huge holographic figures standing in the sky discussing our religions with us would seem, and knowing the low, low level of intelligence that the world population as a whole would need for such a ruse to work, they decided instead on the clever ruse of Maitreya. Speaking directly into our minds, to each and every one of us individually entreating us to accept him as our messiah. Its sickening to tell the truth.

Here is some links to begin research on how Project Blue Beam and Share-International are entwined.

Project Blue Beam

God Signs aka Share Intl Advertising

Word of Warning about Share Intl website. It is LOADED down with Neuro Linguistic Programming, and you should be consciously aware of what your reading on that website. Theres definitely sinster doings afoot.

Check out other forms of Share Internationals Advertising, such as this commercial which for some reason reminds me of seven hundred club adverts. The second one was aired on CNN multiple times on the 28 of December, 2008. edit to add: also alot of NLP on these commercials, be aware of it as you watch.

i have said my say, i can get deeper into it but i have real world duties to attend to. Please take a look at the information i provided and take it seriously, objectively. It really fits together in a nice, neat package. If you dont go for the whole anti christ / dajjal then please dont just dismiss this out of hand. Again, please look at it objectively.

Love and Peace

[edit on 2-8-2009 by M157yD4wn]

[edit on 2-8-2009 by M157yD4wn]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by M157yD4wn

You aint kidding. That share site looks suspect. It immediately took the tone of "New Age Religion" from the first couple seconds browsing.

Kind of late in the game for a Start up religion? In this economy? A religion is a bad business. They say that 50% of new religions fail in the first year.

I am fully prepared if Project Blue Beam ever happens. I have many tests that I will conduct before I buy any magic beans.

Project TurkeyBurgers is pretty hardcore.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I've got a couple of ideas about what may be going on. One is simply that the guys who own the billboards aren't getting any ads to put up, so they put up their own stuff - the 'God' words. Beats a blank board, or advertising for someone who quit paying months ago.

Or it could be a religion that is into consciousness-raising. Certainly the use of various words for God tends to eliminate a huge number of Christian faiths, and probably Muslim sects as well. So it could be an eastern religion of some sort. Not every religion focuses on charity. Many simply expect their members to help the poor.

Oh, and another thing. Some ad campaigns start out with mysterious billboards to pique curiosity for a while, before eventually coming out with the intended message. For all we know, it might be a coming movie.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by chiron613]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Well, that is great.

Someone is trying to get more people to turn to God.

Please don't flame me. I know that a lot of people do not believe.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

DUH, I just got it.

Some rich person is panicking about not getting into heaven, so is spending their money on these billboards.

OK, just a thought.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I certainly cannot argue with that! One of the few TV preachers I actually like once said "The biggest obstacle God has is religion". The two statements make up the vast majority of the problems with the Church in general. Indeed, I would hazard to state that the vast majority of the Christianity debunking threads on this very forum are rooted in a misunderstanding of the religion simply due to man-made hypocritical practice that serves the elite. It's not supposed to be that way.

I have attended many churches in my life; I have never considered myself a 'member' of any, save one I joined officially way back in my youth. The reason is that every time there is some sort of rift in the congregation. I have watched churches prosper greatly, and watched them starve away to nothing. There is a pattern: those who follow the religion and place charity, love, forgiveness, and God Himself before money prosper; those who begin to crave money do not. I do not even speak here of the sermons and admonitions made from the pulpit: it is the actions of the leaders (and members) of the church that mean soooooo much more than any sermon.

Perhaps it is simply human nature to want more things in life. If so, I am glad to say that I have overcome some of that particular nature. But the whole purpose of having a religion that follows the teachings of Jesus (which, again, was done more with His deeds than His words) is to throw off those shackles of financial predation.

I have to agree that we have to agree to disagree. But I thank you for your civil response, and leave you with this one thought:

If a group of people who really do want to follow the examples of Jesus could reach as many people as possible with the message, which is one of love, peace, forgiveness, lack of want, and faithfulness, what would be a better way than a simple billboard pointing not toward them, but toward God?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I love your title.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
reply to post by TheRedneck

Redneck,

Thanks for your intelligent comments. But with all due respect I have disagreements on a few different levels.

It is the stated purpose of the Church to spread the Gospel (good news) of Jesus. What better way than to use a billboard?

To quote Mohandas Gandhi:

That should give you a clear picture of where I stand with the t.v. evangelists, the churchs that advertise and those that are out to preach. Talk is cheap when it comes down to it...

Dont get me wrong, I believe Christianity in America are the most charitable people in the world..par none. That doesnt mean everything they do is perfect. And again, posting billboards on the side of a freeway seems to me on of the least most impactful ways of preaching that I can think of.

I understand the argument that it can be poingnant in times of trial, but again, the large amounts of money it takes to advertise in such locations can be better utilized.

The idea of investment and return have no place in the church

You should tell this to the Catholic Church whom owns billions in stocks and other financial paper.

This same concept goes along with the millions of dollars poured into the construction of such grand churches. Inordinate ammounts of money that could be much better spent helping the people who contribute their last nickels and dimes titheng.

Most Christians have nothing but the best intentions with their money, but as in most life scenarios their are those at the top who feed off the poors ignnorance.

I agree with you. Well placed intentions on the investors of the billboards, that doesnt justify the fact that kind of money could be more wisely spent.

Its something well have to agree to disagree on, but I am in agreement that the intentions are pure in nature...

I like your avater. It is from the old Star Trek series...the one where Doctor McCoy fell in love?

The God signs have been on I15S+I15N for quite a while. I see them everytime I go to Vegas. It happens that the last couple of times I have had a different person each time riding shotgun. Every time leaving Vegas they have all without fail talked about God. I think that is the purpose of the signs; they are there to provoke thought. I have gon enough times a few months apart to know that there is not a 'punchline' coming for these signs.

Also, I feel, it is my opinion that you were attacked because of the tone of your original thread. No matter if you meant it to be a certain tone, think it is a certain tone or even acknowledge it is a certain tone it has one. It came off a bad tone for me reading it and judging from some responses other people took it that way as well. Considering the post I quoted here; Was everyone that far off? You are being critical of a group or Church spending money on these billboards.

Blanca Rosa is not trolling. You just said they could spend their money better than on advertising. The bottom line is that no matter if they make millions, help the poor or build castles the way they spend their money is none of your business unless you are one of them. It does not matter if they feed the poor or raise billboards; it is none of your business.

Woah, slow down on the anti-Catholic rhetoric. That's blatant prejudice.

Another poster also mentioned it is a Church's duty to spread the Gospel. The God signs certainly worked, look at our discussion here!

Bottom line: it is your opinion that they should spend their money elsewhere. The problem lies in that along with your opinion you are judging them.

Edit: Spelling & Add Catholic line.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by GTORick]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

One is simply that the guys who own the billboards aren't getting any ads to put up, so they put up their own stuff - the 'God' words. Beats a blank board, or advertising for someone who quit paying months ago.

More than likely not. These are billboards with high visibility. Someone most defoiniely paid a lot of money for them to be there. If no one had purchased a contract with the advertising agency that owns them, they would probably list a contact phone number on the board itself...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

sorry for being dumb here, but what are the "R.C.s"??

Ridiculous- Ooops- I mean Radical Christians.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by M157yD4wn

You are right on target!!

I'd heard a little about the mind control and speaking into our minds with technology, so I'm about to check out your link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join