It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I mentally ill?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Whatever it is, don't ever try taking medicines made by Big Pharma. Seek alternative therapies.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Thanks for the fantastic response. The two sides (psychiatry and pharmacology and spirituality/alternative) bashing each other is of no use at all, so I am happy to see it combined in the way you describe.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thrilla Kid
Those who are mentally ill are usually unaware that they are mentally ill.

That right there says it all in a nutshell, those that still have clarity question themselves.

If a person went around eating crap all day literally, then I would be worried, but to me you are just peeling into another layer of the onion/world around you.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by menguard]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Only once in my lifetime, that I honestly can remember, have I heard a voice. It was external. I was trying to sleep and had a window cracked open and a womans voice said 'You are going to die'. I was on the second floor btw. Anyway, it put fear in me for a few days then I realized she was right. We all die. Some prematurely while others live long fruitful lives. As far as the OP, maybe stress is getting to you. Before taking meds that will cure one infliction and give you several others, I suggest reviewing your eating habits and times, try organic or as close to organic that you can find or afford. Meditate. Get outside and enjoy nature. Be cautious who you hang around with on a constant basis. Listen to slow-paced music more often. Stay away from electricity whenever you can. You do not need another human being who is no more mentally efficient than yourself to dig in your mind and GUESS what MIGHT be wrong with you. The fact that you question your sanity or lack thereof is proof you are on a higher plane.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Try praying to your God, cleanse your body, fast for 2 days and then sleep with a bible next to you. Make sure you say the Lord's prayer when you experience this, and also before you go to bed. If you are Possessed this will drive the spirit out, if this does not work then see a shrink.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JalZhaunlUss
Try praying to your God, cleanse your body, fast for 2 days and then sleep with a bible next to you. Make sure you say the Lord's prayer when you experience this, and also before you go to bed. If you are Possessed this will drive the spirit out, if this does not work then see a shrink.

i think that the fast could exascerbate the voices so i wouldnt fast i do agree with the prayer i would really look into trying to communicate with the voices. with the ones that i have, i know they are my friends and theyve done nothing but help me.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Every single symptom you described is schizophrenia. If you don't go and seek help, and I mean SOON, you will begin to have trouble keeping a job, difficulty maintaining relationships, and most likely end up homeless wondering the streets talking to yourself.

I'm not kidding around at all. Go get help NOW. Don't listen to these idiots telling not to take what you are prescribed. Do what the psychologist tells you to do. Take the meds they give you because otherwise you'll be pushing a shopping cart around with your teeth falling out.

Go get help today. Don't mess around with schizophrenia.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Seems to me that you are able to reflect on your unusual behaviour - that means you are lucid and in control probably more often than not.

I think the best thing you could do is ensure your sleeping in a regular pattern, eat good food, socialize with your family - and confide this in only a few people. Also, have a think about what your eating, what chemicals or even electro magnetic fields you might be subjected to.

If you have amalgam fillings - get rid of them - full of mercury. Maybe have a look at your cooking implements and water pipes, make sure your not taking in lead, aluminium or other metals in excess amounts.

If you tell too many people then you will always feel out of whack trying to socialize normally - and that will lead to further anxiety. If people notice your behavior, just smile and make light of it.

If you are very concerned - go see a psychologist, and if they offer medication have a look into it before you take it.

Mental illness carries a stigma - undeservedly - get on with your life, if it continues, live with it - but its better if you just carry on like nothings wrong - and really - there IS nothing wrong. If your unusual - then hey - your weird, welcome to the world.

When you need support - confide only in those closest to you.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Amagnon]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I have the utmost respect for your opening up and discussing this here. it would seem to me that you are in need of a thorough examination, first by an MD and then by a psychiatrist to determine if you needs meds.

I have some experience with mental illness: My ex-wife is a schizophrenic...our youngest son is Bi-polar ..also, Aspergers, Adhd..ODD PDD..etc. He is in an institution now getting treatment and takes meds all the time. I have dealt with the system in all ways imaginable and can share with you that the system SUCKS and is almost impossible to vanigate while you are experiencing symptoms.

BUT, if you are hearing voices and seeing things then it is quite likley that you have a form of illness that requires medication to manage. Today there are many meds that can help; the main issue is that after psychiatric patients take meds and get better, they often quit the meds and assume they are well. The meds must be taken forever in most cases.

Mental illness is the most heartbreaking of all illnesses for many reasons..the victims are not to blame..they get misunderstood and laughed at by the idiots out there, and many people do not comprehend that mental illness is always linked to a physical anomalie of some sort.

My beloved Son, 15 now, will never be able to live a totally normal life..may always require 24-7 supervision, and will likley never get away from heavy meds. That kills me as a parent, but one must get past the pain and just do your best. The mental health system in my state is broken badly, and I am getting an attorney Thursday to try and compel the state to do the right thing. there is no money for a proper facility, so the state where I live is trying to send him out of state, faw away..rather than do the right thing and build a facility for kids with severe issues.

You may have to fight for proper treatment..may have to insist on the safest treatment, and you might do well to contact the Disability rights office ( in every state) to make sure that you get treated right. They can help.

Best of luck to you. managing a mental illness is POSSIBLE, and can be a real help. Some meds might get rid of your symptoms altogether but maybe not. it takes years of trials with these meds to get it right, and there is no guarantee they will work. but in your case you really have no choice: living with those symptoms might very well wreck your life and alienate you from society in major ways so PLEASE make an appt. with medical professionals soon and follow their advice. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
reply to post by unityemissions

Wowzers, you might of hit it on the head there, ... Symptom of low hystamine levels exhibit paranoia and hallucinations, ..... and 50% of all Schizophrenics have Histapenia !!

And although I dont downplay the severity of authentic mental illness's, ... I have always believed that the body has a natural ability to heal itself of any non genetic affliction. ..... water the flower, and it will grow.

Yeah, it's for real. I went to a center in Chicago, called the Pfeiffer Treatment Center. They have a very high success rate in treating not only schizophrenics, but pi-polars, autistics, etc...

These actually are usually gene-diet afflictions. Genes are constantly interacting with our environment, both external and internal (diet). I'm going back to school, getting multiple degrees, and want to research nutrigenomics.

Essentially, genes are usually not the screwed up things, it's the pathways leading up to the genes. If they are malformed/mishaped, the pressure needed to express the gene isn't enough under normal circumstances. We need to choose a proper diet, or supplement with certain nutrients to up the pressure, so to speak.

Orthomolecular therapy was the start in this direction, now leading research is really getting down to explaining how these functions work. It's really amazing stuff.

Basically, 70%+ of schizophrenics will find good improvement with high-dose niacin and vit-c alone; but adding in other nutrients speeds the process up, and increases efficacy.

Note-check histamine values before supplementing niacin. If your histamine level is too high, improper dosage of niacin will hasten symptoms as it tends to raise histamine values.

If you want to self-treat and not have to see a doctor, thistesting site is the way to go. You can get a blood-draw from a local clinic, and send in the specimen to be checked. Also, you can check for pyroluria by just peeing in a cup, pouring into vial, freezing, and overnight shipping. No clinic required on that one.

The all in one package from this site is only $190. It's called the metabolic panel, and will include the pyroluria, histamine, and copper/zinc ratio checks..

From here, self-reading and treatment can be done based on values.

I'm finding that this may actually all be rooted in the gut. Treating with vitamin supplements greatly benefits, and can keep someone sane, but I'm now convinced the root is gut related.

NO is a gut transmitter that signals the gut to relax. NO, creates heme disturbances, hence, pyroluria. When gut flora is imbalanced, food intolerances occur, which inflame the gut, cause it to tense up...increases NO. Starts systemic, cascading detriments, which show up as localized diseases. The weakest link is diagnosed. I think gut flora imbalances are the root in most, if not all diseased states.

Root of Disease
Cause of Pyroluria

Also:

NO as gut transmitter

Hippocrates had it correct, "All diseases begin in the gut".

So in conclusion, treating via ortho is great for the beginning, and to restore nutrient balance...after a certain stable state is reached, next step is repairing gut.

1. Essential oils to wipe out gi flora
2. Probiotic and glutamine to restore gi tract and repopulate with beneficial bacteria

I recommend kombucha & kefir grains, Acidophilus, *S. Boulardii and Bifidobacterium as sources of probiotics.

*best for candida overgrowth

[edit on 28-7-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Sorry for the quick reply without reading all of the posts, but I really felt that I could maybe give you some relief with a simple few words...

Insane people don't think they are insane.

I have no clue what is going on with you, but I don't think you are insane.

Sometimes I wonder if there is even such a thing as insanity. It could be that some people are oddly experiencing life in such a way that the vast majority of those around them just can't seem to relate to.

I wish I had better advice for you but all I can say is what I said above, if you were really insane, you wouldn't be here wondering if you were insane.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I would recommend getting some psychiatric treatment. Chances are you do have a mental illness but there are treatments available. There are plenty of anti psychotics out there that can improve your life. From the sound of it ie your auditory hallucinations coupled with levels of paranoia, it could be paranoid schizophrenia. These conditions are usually biological and medication is possibly the only way.
I am a big fan of alternate therapies but this may be a chemical imbalance in the brain.
Either way, please visit a doctor- there is no shame in mental health problems. Statistics suggest that 1 in 4 will suffer a mental illness. It is very common.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Actually I think that's applied to a crazy person, not an insane person. Some people who are insane aren't crazy...at least not at all times. Some insane people have partial insight.

I think of crazy as being continuously emotionally instable, and insane...I take what Einstein had to say: Insanity is repeating the same process over and over again, expecting different results.

I was a bit insane and crazy last year. Sometimes I made up the most bizarre rationalizations to justify my actions and perceptions. Other times, I had periods of clarity, insight into my condition. This is when I started to research what could be wrong, and how to treat it. Much like OP is doing here.

Just because he seems sane & lucid now, doesn't mean he's always like this...No offense, OP.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Do you have any physical symptoms? Could be something like hyperthyroidism. That can intensify experiences and make one feel like they are going crazy.

When all else fails, fasting can have a lot of positive effects on the body. If in good health, a person really should do it periodicially if they want to maintain and improve their health.

You could also try taking omega 3s. Fish oil and flax seed oil are both omega 3s but different types, flax seed being ALA. Fish oil might be more benefical but simple research should give you some answers. I remember reading a study where schiztophrenics were given their normal meds plus omega 3s and the combination reduced symptoms over the control. Even though you're not being treated, it wouldn't hurt to start supplementing with omega 3s.

People with schizophrenia have low levels of these essential fatty acids in their bodies. Studies of individuals with schizophrenia who were given EPA/DHA suggest that these oils reduce the amount of standard medication necessary to treat the disease. In addition, individuals with schizophrenia who take Omega-3s seem to experience fewer symptoms. However, these studies are too small to provide a definitive answer about the effectiveness of EPA/DHA in treating all people with schizophrenia. Again, supplementing with EPA/DHA remains an adjunctive (complementary) therapy until further studies can clarify its role in treating schizophrenia.
www.mentalhelp.net...

[edit on 28-7-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
dont sweat it , just recognise your "symptoms" and learn to live with them, it is only bad because we have all been told that it is, maybe you should start paying more attention to the voices, and with a controlled mind, which you seem to have, explore what they are saying, except the ones that tell you to kill everybody. you could be experiencing some form of evolution, where parts of the inactive human brain are becoming active, you'll only know by exploring, choose a quiet evening, sit in a comfortable chair, close your eyes and open your mind and thoughts to the sensations that you have been experiencing, then let us know how it went, good luck

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hi there. I wrote a thread about the connection that I see between spirituality and mental illness. Check it out if you like...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrilla Kid

That is not correct but inconsequential.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join