It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Eclipse influenced - 100 year high tides and Earthquakes happening now near India?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

good thread...and who really knows...maybe these quakes can have something to do with the eclipse. All you were doing was posting the info and your opinion, dont feel it was doom and gloom.

SnF for you!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Fullblast

What do you think the cutoff point is for blaming the eclipse? 2 days? 4 days? A month? Or is any earthquake that happens from here on out caused by the eclipse.

Eclipses do not cause earthquakes. Eclipses do not cause higher tides than occur during any new moon.

[edit on 7/26/2009 by Phage]

I personally draw no conclusions based on the eclipse. I just noticed an unusual swarm of earthquakes this morning. They were in the high 4's and low 5's with no big quake to kick them off.

It is unusual, not unheard of and it certainly does not mean that something huge is going to happen, but when I realized that it was the place that generated the 9.1 or 9.3 depending on what you read, I thought it was worth noting here.

A 6.2 did pop up fairly close to the others as well, so maybe it was a precursor. Probably just coincidence though.

Unfortunately I cannot start new topics yet since I have not posted enough.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Fullblast]

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Fullblast]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Phage

I wouldn't be so bold as to say that eclipses do not affect earthquakes.

Here is at least one guy who argues differently. He uses Oliver Crane's gravitation theory and supernova energy to argue that during such an eclipse we expect to see some sort of downforce exerted on the surface of the planet... which in turn can cause the surface of the Earth to extend upwards to a height of 12 meters.

And that during the subsequent 6 days or so the Earth's surface will be settling back downward sparking quakes. He predicts one in the South of China between now and sometime early next week. Magnitude six or higher.

This really has me pretty interested.

Edit for linkage... www.rqm.ch...

[edit on 26-7-2009 by JayinAR]

Good post OP, that is amazaing.

But above link to Europ. Inst. for Space Quantum Physics & Research is a top find, too. Did you read the other stories, about how wrong those people at CERN are and how dangerous the whole thing is??

PHYSICS IN A CRISIS

www.rqm.ch...

Needs his on topic.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Oh wow, a flurry of 4.0-5.0 earthquakes happened 4 days after a solar eclipse! Quickly, let's all run around panicking!

Let us say for a second that eclipses do affect earthquakes, tidal waves, tornadoes, or whatever else you're saying. If we have just went through "the longest solar eclipse of our lifetime," doesn't that mean we are currently seeing the worst? If the worst that is going to happen are these minor earthquakes/aftershocks, then solar eclipses are the least of my worries.

Another day, another doomsday thread. When major doomsday events actually start happening, people may be too burnt out from all the fear mongering that goes on currently. Then again, that may be what they want...

I'm pretty sure the OP's aim was to make a connection to solar eclipses (like some scientists do) and earthquakes/high tides. I'm not sure where you got the doom and gloom from. The OP is just postulating a link between the eclipse and the earthquake and nowhere did I see the OP suggesting the end of the world or something.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. Interesting but I don't see anything unusual.

Source at "The Times of India".

There's nothing to worry over high tides not only this year, but even in the next five years, says the SoI's research cell. Last week the SoI slammed the BMC for creating panic by declaring the5.05-metre high tide expected on July 24 as the highest of the century. Its research cell, in a letter to the civic agency, said tides of this height are normal for Mumbai.

Seems the press in India sensationalizes (lies) just like everywhere else.

...there is no need for Mumbaikars to expect taller tidal waves in the near future. In fact, we don't expect it to touch 5.20 m in the next five years," said Kumar.

Just waves from a storm combined with a higher than usual tide.

Some side notes:

Earthquakes on average occur every 6 seconds somewhere on the planet.

Tides and waves are two separate things. When a high tide and high waves from a storm combine, coastal regions can be dangerous. Nothing unusual about it however.

Tidal Waves do not exist. The term was originally quoted by an American Journalist wrongly referring to a Seismic Sea Wave caused by an earthquake. It has continued, wrongly so, to be used by the public over the years. (Not knowing this caused me to break a string of perfect scores on tests in College, so I never forget)

It would seem that some less than credible journalists are responsible for creating needless panic among some. Why am I not surprised.

I'd guess it could be that the Moon being closer could set off some earthquakes, but it seems doubtful. The crust is considered fluid and it does react to the same forces that cause tides, so it could be true.

Perhaps the relationship between tides the moon and sun at the time of an eclipse led to the mythology. Likely it seems. Whenever people don't understand the science behind something they always turn to the bizzare.

I'd guess the lesson in this is that when this happens, don't let the kids go swimming. Also, only an idiot builds a structure were flooding from high tides and storms happen often.

[edit on 7/26/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by questioningall

Seems pretty odd these two things are happening right now - right after the longest solar eclipse in our lifetimes - right where it went over.

Yeah --- and they're having abnormally large waves in Huntington Beach, California today too. Explain that?

Or, how about finding the same bunch of earthquake numbers, in the same area on a different date? Look for a "swarm" of quakes, just like those in the OP.

(Actually, when they're down in the 4 range, they're more like aftershocks than quakes, right?)

Supposedly this is due to a storm in Tahiti...

oc.metblogs.com...

Thanks to a storm in Tahiti, this weekend will be a great time for surfers. South facing beaches in LA and Orange Counties are expected to have 8-10 foot swells. This translates to LARGE waves. In some spots, the surf will be well overhead (approx 6+ feet). This weekend is the U.S. Open of Surfing in Huntington Beach. You can bet these guys and gals will take full advantage of this swell. If you’e never seen pro surfers shred it up in person before, this would be a great weekend to do so.

If you’re not a surfer however, this may be a crap weekend to be at the beach. Sure the temperatures will be high, but the lifeguards will most likely be keeping people out of the water as best as they can. With large waves comes strong rip currents. Weaker swimmers can easily get knocked over by a wave and then sucked out to sea very quickly. The lifeguards will have their hands full this weekend.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
That region has earthquakes all the time. Maybe the eclipse trigged some, but you'd never know because they've got magnitude 4 and 5 quakes there year round.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
How come the fairly large quakes around New Zealand and some others in the last several days did not produce large tsunamis?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharintexas
How come the fairly large quakes around New Zealand and some others in the last several days did not produce large tsunamis?

What causes a Tsunami?

. A tsunami is a large ocean wave that is caused by sudden motion on the ocean floor. This sudden motion could be an earthquake, a powerful volcanic eruption, or an underwater landslide. The impact of a large meteorite could also cause a tsunami. Tsunamis travel across the open ocean at great speeds and build into large deadly waves in the shallow water of a shoreline.

See the linked info for graphics and more info.

There has to be significant surface displacement and many quakes do not produce them.

[edit on 7/26/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
An Earthquake expert has addressed the quakes today - on his website

www.quakecentralforecasting.com...

Addendum added 07/26/09 11:46 AM PDT

A strong swarm of earthquakes is currently hitting the Andaman Islands of India. This is the region where seismic stress was deposited following the great Sumatra earthquake of Dec. 26, 2004 which killed along with the tsunami more than 250,000 people around the Indian Ocean. Many researchers believe that the next great earthquake will come from this area. Swarms like this often indicate a fault trying or in the process of breaking. Such a rupture could initiate the expected great quake. Conditions are right at this time for such an event as the area was in the eclipse path three days ago and the timing is right in relation to the geomagnetic storm also three days ago. This is an area to watch under any circumstances but is especially dangerous at this time.

He addresses the solar eclipse - as all the people I have been following who study Earthquakes full time.

you can get daily Earthquake information in emails from him. The emails address the degrees of quakes from each other - to the history of the day = to the geomagnetic storm, tidal and all other influences of quakes. He also has predictions with magnitudes expected.

his email if you would like to sign up for daily quake information is:

eqforecasts at gmail.com

obviously the email address is separated - at = @

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

You know at one point in time our experts thought the world was flat. They thought they had it all figured out. Then they found something else out...and it was only because other people had different ideas of how things work. While I understand all the people in this thread pointing to scientific evidence that goes against the OPs theory, those that state that current understandings of science are the only possibility, and stating your thread fails shows an ignorance to exploring the realm of science.

Great job OP...don't let the bloated heads dissuade your pursuit of the truth.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Is a 4 or 5 not bad enough for you? Are 20 quakes in a short period of time not enough? How bad or weird or desperate do you want everyone to get before it is bad enoug hfor you to acknowlege the reality of our world today. Or maybe because you haven't had 20, 4 and 5 mag quakes at your house it does not seem real to you. Maybe you syill ave a job and a lot of money so you do feel the effects so they aren't real to you, they aren't bad for you so they don't matter is that it?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Can you tell us what experts thought that the world was flat?

Aristotle thought the world was round, as did Pythagoras and Plato.

These guys realised this in the 3rd-5th centuries BC.

[edit on 26/7/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I was reading the first page and several posters were argueing that it's 4 days after the eclipse.
I'ld just like to mention that spring tides are always several days after a full/new moon. We don't know how long it takes for magma to react, so the earthquakes could actually be eclipse induced.

Got to run for work now, I couldn't find a link. They all say springs are at full/new moon. I'll look for more evidence than: "I live on a boat and should know" later. Sry about that

sam

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Reminds of the planetary alignment scare in 1982 and lesser ones later.

The only credence I can give it is that two celestial objects being in alignment may have generated some increased gravitational pull in ONE more focused area, and this has caused some additional plate activity, including resettling days later.

Mind you, what do I know...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
20 quakes. That's nothing. You want a flurry? On March 9, 2006. Same region. No eclipse. Nine days after the new moon.

68 earthquakes above magnitude 4!
neic.usgs.gov...

This is an active area. Earthquakes are frequent.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Phage,
you made me look deeper and March 2006 did have an eclipse and large earthquakes near the path...

On 29th of march a total eclipse occurred, which past over turkey close to western Iran
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/88db1ff09176.gif[/atsimg]

source

3 days a later three largish earthquakes struck western Iran

M 6.1 Earthquake - March 2006, Iran
Submitted by administrator on Sun, 18/02/2007 - 22:33. Earthquakes
Start date: 31/03/2006
End date:
Lat/Long: 33.583000/48.780000

-----

At 5am local time on 31 March 2006, the first of three earthquakes (Richter magnitude 6.1) struck western Iran at a depth of 7 km followed by numerous aftershocks1,2.

325 villages and the cities of Doroud and Borujerd sustained severe damage3,4.

source

so there was something that corresponds to the OP in 2006

but that could be just pure coincidence

i guess we will never know if we never go.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by 2theC]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 2theC

It's not hard to find a correspondence because there are earthquakes of 5.0+ magnitude everyday. In 2006 there were 153 earthquakes of 6.0 or greater. On March 31, 2006 there were three earthquakes over 6.0, two of them thousands of miles from the path of the eclipse.

If there is any causation, shouldn't there be a band of large earthquakes which follows the path of the eclipse? The eclipse of 2006 passed directly over active earthquake zones. Shouldn't there have been some happening there? Or is it just that eclipses just cause earthquakes sometimes?

The 2006 earthquake in Iran was 600 miles from the path of totality. Within that area there were 6 earthquakes above magnitude 5.0 in 2006. In 2007 there was no total eclipse and there were 9. In 2008 there was a solar eclipse far to the north of the region and there were 9 5.0+ earthquakes. I see no correlation much less causation.

There does not seem to be anything unusual about the 2006 earthquake in Iran.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

technological advances of the moment affect the scientific discoveries. How many discoveries were simply impossible before seen technologies in the past?
there are a number of discoveries made "simultaneously", Newton / Leibniz, Le Verrier / Adams, Darwin / Wallace, to quote classic cases. Then, many discoveries have been developed within a network, a group of people communicating and sharing results.and even today some scientist keep searching and gives us new theories because they have more advanced tools.
now eatch time it's the same old story when a scientist whant to shout your mouth he give us that exemple about earth, yea sure you right, but maybe
in a few hundred years when man will travel to deep space all the theories
about space will be confirmed or totaly destroyed, so maybe in few years we will have new data and scientific of today will be the same scientific of the past who said earth was flate.
this is what i like the most in science and discovery it's an evolution and fortunately scientific dont have all the answer imagine it will be very boring
no

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

13.It is estimated that there are 500,000 detectable earthquakes in the world each year. 100,000 of those can be felt, and 100 of them cause damage

earthquake.usgs.gov...

some good facts on this website about quakes. Personally, I think it was obvious there was going to be a spate of earthquakes. Before the 7.8 New Zealand quake a couple of weeks ago, there was a very quiet spell.

I was checking the map every day and things died down a lot leading up to this quake.

Since the New Zealand quake it has picked up again to what seems a fairly normal level of mag. 5-6 quakes happening.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join