It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could You Survive Without Money? Meet The Guy Who Does - And is Happier Than He has Ever been

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Personally, I'd go find a nice primitive village to live in- somewhere so I can be around people. I live alone enough as it is. Find a woman who'd actually want me for ME- and not how much green paper I can shove in her hand. Use my talents for the actual betterment of the place I live in. There's little to be had in this life. You make money, you spend money, you save money. Anything having to do with talent, or ability is thrown to the side for money. Women throw you to the side for money. People are just plain thrown to the side for lack of money... Churches- ok. I wont even GO there. That'll get me going on a 2 page rant.

Look at life- it's all money, you basically pay your wife/ girlfriend money to have sex,("Buy me *blank*. You don't have the money?! Couch for you, you tightwad!") You pay to go to church, You pay the govt to live. You make money to pay the aforementioned off. Some life.

Its odd you know. Im the only one besides my guy who wants to study self sustainability, herbal medicine, i save us money by eating raw foods. Before he met me he only wanted materialistic girls. Yes he did like fake platinum blonde hair, fake boobs, etc etc. Was not until he met me that i awakened him to the natural ways and he appreciated me more.
So if guys dont like girls nagging for them to be prim and propper then why do you want those types of girls who are fake anyway?
I dont find it all onesided.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You are right..... i'll leave it at that......

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Applesandoranges

So if guys dont like girls nagging for them to be prim and propper then why do you want those types of girls who are fake anyway?

I'm still single because the ones who aren't coated in 12 layers of chemicals are VERY rare, or are all married. And no one wants someone who isnt shoving $$ into their hand.

So... I think I will start scoping out nice places to go 'retire'. Someplace temperate....

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by Applesandoranges

I'm still single because the ones who aren't coated in 12 layers of chemicals are VERY rare, or are all married. And no one wants someone who isnt shoving $$ into their hand.

So... I think I will start scoping out nice places to go 'retire'. Someplace temperate....

Are you sure about that. Because there is alot of natural girls on here ringingcedars.ning.com...
That are single looking for their man, twin flame etc.

and here: www.giveittomeraw.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I always thought of just living by myself without all of society's pressures. That'll be nice.

But the world is not a nice place, dangers lurk everywhere, even in nature. It's always a struggle for living, and this causes me to think that life is really just a curse.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

But the world is not a nice place, dangers lurk everywhere, even in nature.

I'll take a natural danger over a manmade one any day of the week. I'd rather be attacked by a wild animal (I'm food, I walked too close to it's babies, ect) than attacked by some idiot ("Gimmie your money/ nice things! I need my crack!").

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This sounds really nice.....in theory.

I guess a lot of my questions revolve around things like:

1 - how much money did it cost him to live money-free?
2 - is the knowledge that he could go back to the daily grind at any point part of what makes it intriguing?
3 - if he got sick or injured - how quickly would he be dialing '911'?
4 - does he not suffer from anything like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. that cost money for medications?

Living by way of nature is nice if it's a choice. I hardly think all of those people that find themselves currently homeless and squatting in some state park are quite so happy.

Buying land costs money, living off-grid costs money (hunting equipment, solar panels, blankets, etc.)...

There is a big difference between finding oneself into a FORCED natural living and a chosen one.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Sorry for not reading all 4 pages (Im at work so time is tight).
So if this has been mentioned I apologize.

What happens if the state who owns the land his cave is in decides to start charging him rent?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
We have people like that here in NY, they're called bums and homeless. They do exactly what this guy does. Instead of a cave it's under a bridge or in the subway or abandoned building. It is absolutely the same thing except for the hippie/nature connotations.

The appeal of what he's doing specifically comes from the whole hippie living in nature thing that people like.

It's funny how you can take the concept of being homeless or a being bum, package it differently and people think you're great. But we don't think the bums and homeless who live under the bridge are great.

It's one thing to live like an animal when you have no choice. You can live very frugally, and almost or maybe entirely off the grid while still living in a house and in a society.

I'm not criticizing, I actually find it a little appealing and very interesting.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
We have people like that here in NY, they're called bums and homeless. They do exactly what this guy does. Instead of a cave it's under a bridge or in the subway or abandoned building. It is absolutely the same thing except for the hippie/nature connotations.

The appeal of what he's doing specifically comes from the whole hippie living in nature thing that people like.

It's funny how you can take the concept of being homeless or a being bum, package it differently and people think you're great. But we don't think the bums and homeless who live under the bridge are great.

It's one thing to live like an animal when you have no choice. You can live very frugally, and almost or maybe entirely off the grid while still living in a house and in a society.

I'm not criticizing, I actually find it a little appealing and very interesting.

I like that subliminal tone that everything that has been for man in the beginning such as 'nature' to be called "hippie" residence or related to hippies. Maybe some people like to go back to their natural roots
Afterall everything else is just artificially man-made and hardly mimics how earth already supported us. Nothing is more perfect than sometthing that can renew itself compared to sometthing destructive that your future materialistic consumers have to throw in landfill after you die.

"As soon as we begin to theoretically agree with its plan, Nature will immediately begin to change Nature is connected to our consciousness and subconsciousness, and even the slightest change in both will cause an immediate reaction. Nature is a precise mechanism and we, not some hypothetical divine court, are responsible for the changes it undergoes.' Author unknown

Yay where are all our fruit trees that have been so viciously cut down to make way for asphalt.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

warrenb's earlier thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

great minds think alike

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Neat

Is this fella right? Would we all be a bit happier and better off if we could trade in the rat race and the materilistic money based life full of obligations and debts in exchange for a hard and rugged but free and fulfilling life away from the traps of modern existence?

Are there enough dumpsters for 304,059,724 people?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Yeah, he uses no money, but uses someone else's cash when he heads to the local library to maintain his "Blog". Self righteous clown...I wonder how many other instances he uses someone else's wealth to maintain himself.
Not impressed.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
urgg he is living the life i swear lol,its something ive ben thinking about for a while but never had the balls to do...but we will see,since there so much doom and gloom about the economy,just might get that wish

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by jackflap

I think it would be very hard at first, but in a different way.

Me personally, I am growing weary of this rat race thing. All of our time is consumed with accumulating money so that we can spend it on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make us happy.

I am with you in this feeling.

I think we need to get to a halfway point in this. If we didnt have to pay property taxes and had a like minded community then one could live off the grid in a cabin and all help each other.

Like the Amish when they do a barn building. Everyone gets together and helps build your cabin and you trade for you basic necessities.

Like the "Teachings of Don Juan" by "Carlos Castenada" Juan Matus teaches him that one has to be a hunter and have the mindset of a warrior accepting death, instead of spending all your time with distractions to ignore the inevitable. To live ones life with every moment being your last battle on earth, death at arms length reminding you how precious each moment is.

This is how man was meant to live.

Living a hard life is not what kills the soul, having some boss on your back whether its money or a human boss telling you what to do, when to do it enslving yourself to the system is what sucks you sould dry.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Applesandoranges

I like that subliminal tone that everything that has been for man in the beginning such as 'nature' to be called "hippie" residence or related to hippies. Maybe some people like to go back to their natural roots
Afterall everything else is just artificially man-made and hardly mimics how earth already supported us. Nothing is more perfect than sometthing that can renew itself compared to sometthing destructive that your future materialistic consumers have to throw in landfill after you die.

I don't know if that guy is a hippie or not, it doesn't matter. What I meant was that people buy into that stereotypical cliche` of the nature hippie. In my opinion that's why people are praising this guy, which is ok with me. I think he's very interesting.

Now, in contrast there are homeless people here who live exactly the same way, just in a different environment, yet they are not praised or appreciated.

Maybe it's due to the way his homelessness is being interpreted or presented to us. He is seen as a naturalist, like Emerson.

One of the first things the author of the article writes is that his cave stinks really bad. Not much different from the homeless and bums living spaces in NY. Does the environment really make that much of difference between being a naturalist like Emerson and being a NY City bum?

I'm just offering an interesting comparison.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I just wanted to add that even Emerson built himself a small cabin and kept his butt off of the floor. I bet his cabin didn't smell like some animal's shelter.

I like the idea of taking yourself off the grid and being self sufficient, but that doesn't mean you need to live like an animal. The guy seems a little cracked, which is fine with me.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Electro38

He didnt have property taxes to pay.

Also there is Dick Proenneke. He lived this way on property owned by a friend so he didnt have to pay property taxes either.

Living as a bum in a cave is not independent living. The only obstacle to living a truly independent life is property tax. One of the Dakotas was playing with the idea of ending property taxation in their state. Could be the only legal option to independence in the U.S..

There is another option in national forests. Camping is allowed but any structure or tent must be moved within a certain time period. I think it was 6 months. If you can meet that requirement you can live rent/mortgage/tax free but you are still subjected to laws and regulations that keep you from harvesting/hunting food and cultivating. Feeding/clothing yourself would result in numerous broken laws sending you right to jail.

Freedom isnt legal in America. You be a vagrant bumming leech but you can't be independently free. Even if you own your own land. Though one of the Dakotas might be changing that soon.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So true. I own land but I can't even put up a fence without going to the local courthouse and getting permission.

I also think that he's just a bum in a cave. I find it really hard to believe that he's survived 3 winters there.

If no one here has already you should read the classic by Emerson, he was living dependently to a large extent but he also wrote about economics in a very simple, practical way. Emerson did it with dignity and intelligence. Cramming yourself into a putrid smelling cave is not so admirable in my humble opinion.

Is this guy growing his own food? Or is he just taking and taking? Living on gov property (property really owned by the American people, sustained with our taxes), he is a bum, not contributing anything to society besides telling people he lives in a stinky cave and he might be some kind of self proclaimed prophet? Not in my book.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by jackflap

Just a pipe dream, obviously.

Some of you don't get it...

If you wan't to live this life, sell everything you own, fly to whatever area you like, and DO IT.

The next problem. If humanity will be so much better of this way, think of it like this. If everyone did this style of living, we would eventually form a society, and if not, you would literally be living of "the land". No internet, medicine, very limited technology, etc.

You all are not in chains...if you want to live like this, go straight ahead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join