It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could You Survive Without Money? Meet The Guy Who Does - And is Happier Than He has Ever been

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I understand the philosophy of throwing away all we have for a 'better' living of simpleness.

Unfortunately, if we all lived like that from the gungho, we'd never see the beautiful pictures hubble presented us with.

We wouldn't question anything, we'd be the same.

Nothing would seperate us from those of our chimp brothers which most theists take pride in saying "I didn't come from no monkey!" But if you want to be like the monkey, what really differs then they have to be, and you have a choice.

A simple life, is a nice life, but ignorance is bliss.

I as a few others in the world, are concerned about, the future of humanity, not now and not me specifically.

I wish we could find a habitable planet, and start sending seeds out there!

That would be excellent, we would do our sole purpose, SURVIVAL!

We know this planet won't harbour us forever. Yet living like it would mean we face the same fate as our brothern, 99.99 percent of all living things are now extinct.

I do understand your point of the carrot and the treadmill with the string and stick. It's terrible some are so 'vain' to the things of life, but they are useless, and waste space, and happily do so. Why go worse and only worry about you're own happiness, and what is 'nice' for you.

As far as i'm concerned this is the only life we get, nothing else after it. I want to enhance the humanity of earth elsewhere, hopefully I will manage my dream in the future, I'm trying my damndest now.

But I know I couldn't do that by resorting back to the 'easier' way of life, which seems hard now, but many admit, would be much easier nicer and simpler, later on.

We'd be digressing, it'd be awful.

We are on the point of whether we make it or not, to resort back to animalistic survival methods of it, would be reverting our advancements of our great gift back. Sacrificiously without a cause but 'our' own happiness and peace of mind.

I have caught myself, nearly a million times, of wishing I had lived in the 1900's early, but I find myself also, expressing to myself, what i'd miss out on the moon walking (it's fake whatever screw you) all these things we've achieved, quite beautifully.

I know there are severe crooks, and a holes in office, and our ignorant counterparts have unrightfully elected them there, to govern them. But that's not to go to another extreme of digressing.

Eventually good will prevail, and must prevail, and the trip will be great, I find myself not only to be luckily alive in this time, but to be alive at all!

lol, i'm taking this probably way to seriously, and those who which to quote and proclaim i'm taking this too seriously....screw you.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
My goal is to land some place in the middle

I plan on buying land and slowly getting a house on it that's mostly green built ( I.E cheaper) It's going to be about an hour to 2 hours from my current house and I want at least 5-10 acres. We will grow food on it and I have plans for solar and a watch catch system to run the plumbing. Essentially having a place to go relax on the weekends or vacations that's off the grid and a backup to my house for the future of the SHTF.

I would still work as I make decent money and wouldn't want to give up everything. We have already began to cut back and pay off our other bills and cars. If the housing market ever comes back I will be selling my 3200 sq ft home and getting something that actually makes sense for 2 people to live in. I'm tired of feeling like I'm glutenous and wasting my life, so hopefully the plans I have laid out will work out. The economy hitting when it did kind of threw a wrench in the plans though.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I almost envy this guy

I knew a guy about a year and half back who basically did the same thing, but in phx az... he kept a job but remained homeless by choice and has been simply sacking his money since 9-11 when he suffered a major loss...

He lives in his storage unit for 60.00 a month

he's a Millionaire right now... true story

I have just simplified my life majorly, I have to say... I'm allot happier...

I have children, a cave completely isn't in my near future, but this guy isn't too far off

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

My grandparents did it and they lived into their 80's, but they worked themselves to the bone.

They grew tobacco and traded it, along with a certain clear liquid substance that rhymes with noonshine, they had hogs to kill in winter and chickens to lays eggs, a fish pond stocked up and around 80 acres of land to hunt. They also grew corn and peas and potatos and had apple trees and strawberry patches.

They also had 12 children, for what would ultimatley amount to cheap labor.

Not quite the same as living in a cave, but they didn't have electricity or running water until the late 50's. They still used money to a small extent as they went to town two or three times a year, but they were as close to completely free as one can get while still maintaining a living.

Better times than what I live in I would estimate

My grandparents sound similar to yours. They didn't have running water, indoor plumbing and/or utilities until around the 1980s. They literally lived in a run-down chicken coop for some time that was about to fall apart. There were gaps in the wood and the cold winds would blow inside during the winter.

They walked miles sometimes for water, hunted and fished to have meat, and they did have a garden. They didn't have much money at all to speak of and life was hard. They did a lot of physical work, as did my father and his 6 brothers and sisters.

Trading was popular back then, and if you didn't have money, well you could work in exchange for food.

And there was no going to the store to buy butter and milk. My dad still remembers how to make butter, buttermilk, and a soft cheese. He knows how to find water underground by using some kind of stick. I need to learn how to do all that.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Just wanted to say in fairness that there is a different thread going about this topic....apologies to Warrenb...i did a search but I guess I just didnt see it.

Mods feel free to delete if need be....my bad

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Unfortunately, if we all lived like that from the gungho, we'd never see the beautiful pictures hubble presented us with.

We wouldn't question anything, we'd be the same.

no see that's YOU...

many people persue this lifestyle for that specific reason ALONE...
to have the peace of mind enough to spend as much time as they like to QUESTION EVERYTHING... on their own terms... away from distractions.

and i think it's all relevant as well.. if things were not the corrupt way they are right now.. the type of way that doesn't gell too well with human spirituality.. peace of mind etc... then i'm sure he wouldn't even need to do something like this..

but they are this way.. so he's getting away from certain things...
which is good.

by the way anyone interested.. .here's his blog.
zerocurrency.blogspot.com...

and here's his website.
sites.google.com...

thanks OP for showing me this story,... great read!

-

[edit on 23-7-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Just wanted to say in fairness that there is a different thread going about this topic....apologies to Warrenb...i did a search but I guess I just didnt see it.

Mods may I say, need not to delete, as long as there is exposure there is justice.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Oh ho.

So we should seclude our selves, and question things, in your prospect, so that we can be 'enlightened' or whatever you choose, chose.

It seems foolish? If you isolate yourself to a specific place and question yourself, you are not subject, to the everchanging, vastness that is insisting itself onto this reality, which you will miss.

What good do you do, and serve, if you are alone and gone. Maybe a nice story a man comes back from a 5 year mountain living style, with wisdom, but then you're basically that of a monk

Also who would ever listen to a monk, noone, well 0.00000001 percent of americans, and that's just america!

If you ever want to change it, you have to become it, and change it from the inside without you being corrupt yourself.

You have to acheive the greatest largest, gigantic, and sneaky, trojan horse there ever was, to manipulate the inside of the current system.

Not place blunt weak force from the outside, only to have opposition build, opposition within itself would be much better, and better results.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
It's got it's good and bad points. Growing up camping every weekend. I can really relate to the concept of walking away. I would agree in general it's a superior life for a single person. The problem comes in if there are children and a family. I certainly believe a person is better off with less than with more. Unfortunately there is more to life than living as one of the wild animals. But if you have solved the spiritual welfare issue to your satisfaction. I personally think it's great.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I think it is fantastic and applaud him for having the guts to do it but i wouldn't think it would be for me.

I can see his reasons for doing it because i can honestly say personally i dont enjoy life,i would love the amount of time that he has had to really talk to himself and find who he really is,now that would be worth giving my hdtv,blu ray and xbox up for but maybe not forever
i think a balance is what is needed these days, life just seems like a long boring ride in autopilot.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
You can say what you want about giving everything up and becoming a proactive homeless man.

But I see this guy in my town all the time his hair is huge and it resembles a bee hive pretty much. Ive always seen him in the same clothes, he doesn't even have a shopping cart all he has is a plastic bag and a guitar. And he lives under and overpass.. I just cant see the fun in that.

Personally, having the freedom to do what I want, go where I want and have different experiences is preferred.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's a cool read and all BUT trying to get "laid" while living in a cave would be tough, to say the least.. I see his point but as for now me being 27 I just couldn't imagine trying to live like that. Plus there's no girls out there who want to put up with that. Can you imagine trying to walk them up to "your cave".. and them seeing your pots and pans hanging from the cave walls? lol.

As for now I will stick with the rat race. Way to many hot girls out there who need to be seeded. Now when i'm say 55 or 60 years old... I'd think about it.. If there's a planet left to walk around by then..

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Wow, a lot of the replies in this thread are the reasons i'll be walking soon. I've been steadily reducing and during the next few months i'll be scoping out possible seclusion areas where i can be free of the concrete clutches of civilization.

As far as walking away but still coming to town, that's hard to avoid seeing as how all the natural resources have been claimed, paved over, polluted, by these towns and cities in our oh-so-mighty quest for civility. I wish i could walk right now from here, and never see a sign of man again, but even out in the sparsely populated desert southwest, you can only go a day's walk away.

Right now the only thing holding me from walking are my jobs. It's hard to leave behind what you love, and what i do for "work" is truly what i want to do. I don't work for money, that's just an unfortunate side effect of operating within the system.

I have more money than i "need", because i really don't have much in the way of needs. I spend about as much on housing as most of you spend at Starbucks, and for entertainment, i've got work and skateboarding.

For those who don't know the true feeling of freedom and can't comprehend how someone with nothing could be ultimately happy, walk a mile in the happy man's shoes before you judge. I've gone 2 years without money, and i was pretty happy spearfishing and picking coconuts everyday and sailing around the Caribbean. I didn't "plan" to rejoin society, but was more or less dragged back in. Ever since then there's been an immense pain down to the center of my being, a dull ache that permeates every instant i realize that i'm not free anymore. Once you taste freedom, REAL freedom, not freedom inc. brand but the actual thing, then things like money and posessions are only shackles and limits on your freedom.

Compared to true personal freedom, the manufactured brand served up by civilization tastes like toxic crap.

I can't wait to walk....

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

BlackOps719, GREAT POST, thank you very much!!!

Finally people are catching on to the fact that money is the cancer of our time and we should get rid of it alltogether.

It is going to be hard, but please remember the intermittent phase to a world without money and WITH abundance should be short, be it a bit hard. I call it the Neo-agricultural phase on the way to the Resource based society.

Should not take but a couple of years. Your children will be born in a far, far better world.

Research as well: "Future by Design - Jaques Fresco" = Venus project
Peter Joseph's Zeitgeist movement (= active arm of Venus project) see first link in my signature.

WE CAN DO IT.

O, and what a great avatar you have BlackOps719.

500 Flags and 1000 Stars

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Truth4hire]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I gotta say that i took myself out of the rat race too.... too much backstabbing goes on along with people just out for what they can get... I've never been happier although i do get bored every now and then.... I'm now looking for something which will make me happy inside & outside and i'm nearly there..... as for living in a cave i would love to get away from all this technology for a good long while and i will do one day.... it's ruined my health and i'm sure many others too.... living with all these fumes causes big problems!!!! So yes i would be happy living in a cave or just living in the wilderness with all the nature & wildlife coz that to me is much more beautiful than living amongst concrete, brick, glass, metal, fumes, noise, depressing news, Fanatics, Radicals, Rapists, Child Molesters and everything else you can think of....

I WILL ALSO ADD THAT THE REASON CASH WAS INTRODUCED IN THE FIRST PLACE WAS TO MAKE US BELIEVE THAT THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE BUT TO GET IT YOU HAD TO WORK ALL YOUR LIFE OR MOST OF IT!! A BIT LIKE A SLAVE REALLY..... A SLAVE TO CASH!!! UNFORTUNATELY PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS BE A SLAVE TO DEBT TOO APART FROM ME COZ I'M SENSIBLE!!!!

AND THIS DOESN'T ONLY APPLY TO THE LEGITIMATE BUSINESS!!!!

[edit on 23-7-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

The more the better!!!!

line ^ 2

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Great story, admirable I think. Of course it's not for everyone.

There are other ways to go about true freedom or at least breaking some of societies chains. Although you'll have to play the system to escape the system.

For instance I've heard of a family living in an Earthship (passive solar home), with yearly expenses of something in the range of $300 dollars. No utility bills, growing their food etc... a fantastic concept, that benefits both the occupant and the environment.

Others live out of a van, working sporadically and living nomadically, saving the money that would normally go on rent or the mortgage. Not suitable for me, but perhaps better than the cave option for some.

There are also co-op type communities that work together to achieve self sufficiency, some a very simple and private and some are run like corporations, the only profit being the overall benefit to the community.
There are several near my stomping grounds that I'm investigating.

Something I'm working towards, but like most the missus doesn't want to live in a tea pea or anything like that.

(There's a tea pea community near me too, an acquaintance of mine joined years ago.)

Still a great story, but I think it can be done smart so you don't have to work at surviving or living the hermit lifestyle and also keep some of the positive luxuries of modern life while co existing with nature.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I think the best feeling imaginable is when you can do something yourself without the help of modern technologies and luxuries.

Something simple like building a camp fire from scratch and getting it started, even.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by pastry]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
This is the story of a homeless man. Nothing more, nothing less. There are a lot of homeless people that have CHOSEN to be homeless, this man is no different. He has just traded the stresses of one life for the stresses of a homeless life. He still must go to work everyday but in his new life, it is to SURVIVE not simply to “prosper”. He is not self sufficient - he scavenges and still depends on others to sustain him even though he's not asking them to. What does he do when he's sick? I see no evidence that he has the skills to survive illness and I would bet that he would drag himself to an indigent hospital emergency room.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Yes i could survive without money for awhile.Just put me on a deserted desert island with Holly Valance,Angie Everheart and Beyonce Knowels.Well that would be just heaven for me.Who needs money when you have three beautiful angels like thoses perfect women.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join