It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could You Survive Without Money? Meet The Guy Who Does - And is Happier Than He has Ever been

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

For me I dont need lots of money to be happy, actually I lack money due to lay offs and my bank account getting drained. I have 0 debt and pay cash for everything.

S&F

Same with me. I have never bought anything on credit in my life. Amazing how the idiot american is so easily brainwashed into thinking debt is the american way. America really is a nation of sheeple.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by (C2C)

Yeah we sure do have property taxes
If you want to live its set up so you basically have to pay. We need to get away from this and fast! And if you try and live on Government land up here, the RCMP will come and thow you off. If you are not around when they come they will just take all your gear and leave a note saying that if you want your stuff back you have to come and collect your ticket. Its hard to live free these days.

Sounds like the booby-trap business should be a hot thing in canada.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
We have a bunch of people where I live that live without any money. They live in bushes, which they call "The Shruburbs". They survive buy hunting in trash cans and bumming off others as they are leaving stores. Most are addicts or alcoholics that prefer this way of life over facing reality and seeking the support that is available.
To each his own

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I am betting somewhere... he is a burden on someone's money. Probably taxpayers, since he walks down the sidewalk and doesn't pay a dime for upkeep. Someone down stream from him wherever those waterfalls are probably has to run a filtration system so they have to drink him. Maybe, he will take advantage of the Obama healthcare system and cost me and you more money.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45 Amazing how the idiot american is so easily brainwashed into thinking debt is the american way.

Well this idiot Amreican has a big house with swimming pool and can handle that debt quite well... but the secret of the American way is not debt but learning the secret of OPM

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45 Amazing how the idiot american is so easily brainwashed into thinking debt is the american way.

Well this idiot Amreican has a big house with swimming pool and can handle that debt quite well... but the secret of the American way is not debt but learning the secret of OPM

I'm interested zorgon. What is this OPM you're talking about?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
reply to post by DezertSkies

You are missing the point that many of us threw out.
[\quote]

I didn't miss that point, i offered the counter-argument that your cities are on top of my nature. It's gone. There's no more nature, it's dead and mutated. We've overfarmed every arable acre and turned the breadbasket into a dustbowl and caused massive drought from the excesses that you feel is so "necessary". The closest thing to real anture left is national parks. Private "ownership" has devastated the environment. Where there used to be natural resources is superhighways and wal-marts and all the other obscene and vile enterprises you all worship. We've really got no choice, your civilization denied me access to what should be available, so i'll use what's available in the concrete jungle that covered over the old non-concrete version of real jungle jungle.

He is a smooch off of normal society. Sure, what he is doing is a great service, but the point that was being thrown out there is that it is our so called "society" that is feeding this man. The same people who use money!

He is not living off the wilderness if he is garbage scrounging.

Look around, how much wilderness is left? The new wilderness is your concrete wasteland. The concrete parts are the gravestones of what used to live there before we murdered it.

Some of you admire this man...which is fine, but he is living off of society regardless.

And as i thought i had stated several times already, you blind fools killed nature, it's eat out of dumpsters or be a slave for most, and i'll eat out of worse places than a dumpster if it means freedom. It amazes me how many of you would trade freedom for your xboxes or blueray plasma whatever or for convenience. I know some of you would sell your soul for a TV remote (or tivo or whatever you use now) that dispenses beer and nachos.

I didn't miss the point, you backed natural man into such a corner that your piles of trash are the only things left that could be a resource in the barren wasteland you so proudly call your dead world.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I would like to hear about this OPM as well ...please do go on.

(Other People's Money?? perhaps)

(Does this involve AMWAY products at all?)

(Is OPM anything like OPP? Because if so, we may be in business)

Im officially interested and all ears

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Also I am curious if anyone has seen the movie Defiance yet?

I saw this the other day, and keeping in mind that it was just a movie, it was quite impressive how the people in the story were able to retreat to the woods and form an entire self sufficient society.

I think it could be done, but it would be an alien existence to most. Probably a hellish and sobering one as well. Truly living in the rough and the wild demands a survival of the fittest mentallity and I think a lot of people forget that.

I will admit that compared to my folks and my older family members I am soft. I have never had to go without for very long, always had shelter and food available. I imagine it would be quite chaotic and inspire real panic when a man becomes truly bone hungry for the first time.

Living this way is doable, but in truth I would only try it under conditions where it had to be done in order to survive. Otherwise my bed and refrigerator will do.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buckwylds
I am betting somewhere... he is a burden on someone's money. Probably taxpayers, since he walks down the sidewalk and doesn't pay a dime for upkeep. Someone down stream from him wherever those waterfalls are probably has to run a filtration system so they have to drink him. Maybe, he will take advantage of the Obama healthcare system and cost me and you more money.

Who cares, if he needs it let him have it. We have plenty. I imagine you’re the type who would let the poor folks live in the dirt. We have social services for a reason. How would good old America be if 1/4 of the population lived in tents or shanty town with no access to public housing, or social services of any kind. Ever heard of third world? We pay for the lifestyle we have, and we maintain a good standard of living. Without the social services things would be very different. Just imagine the shanty towns on the edge of every city and town, imagine the crime that would stem from that.

I guarantee this guy has some issues that keep him from being a productive member of society. Even if he just wanted to sit around and do nothing that’s his right! There is but this one life friend. You shouldn’t bitch if your taxes go to better someone’s life. I can think of allot worse wastes. I heard once the Army was paying $500.00 for claw hammers.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Donkey_Dean]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by zorgon

I would like to hear about this OPM as well ...please do go on.

(Other People's Money?? perhaps)

(Does this involve AMWAY products at all?)

(Is OPM anything like OPP? Because if so, we may be in business)

Im officially interested and all ears

I'm down with OPP!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Next time I run into Dan......I will make sure he is directed to ATS so he can see the stir his housing choice has created here......

I WISH I lived in a cave house, but I would want electricity and actual furniture.....a kitchen and whatnot.....and I like soap.

OPM means OtherPeoplesMoney...as in gaining an 'investor' or a 'sponser'

what is OPP?

[edit on 24-7-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

what is OPP?

[edit on 24-7-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I think yes, people would be happier with no money... Nature already provides us with everything we need and since people rely on money for security, it is money that makes them insecure. True happiness does not come from material luxuries but from being truely accepting and satisfied with the most simple things in life.. and having love. Without money, there would be less stress, arguments and people would feel less threatened about their lives; people evolve their lives around their jobs, but what's the point of having material luxuries if they don't mean anything to the soul? It is not at all impossible.. people were once strong, naturally instinctive and had everything they needed whilst they were living in harmony with nature. I think that humans have just become weaker, more dependant and I find money so false, as it's just paper notes and dolops of metal that we base our survival and happiness on.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I think yes, people would be happier with no money... Nature already provides us with everything we need and since people rely on money for security, it is money that makes them insecure. True happiness does not come from material luxuries but from being truely accepting and satisfied with the most simple things in life.. and having love. Without money, there would be less stress, arguments and people would feel less threatened about their lives; people evolve their lives around their jobs, but what's the point of having material luxuries if they don't mean anything to the soul? It is not at all impossible.. people were once strong, naturally instinctive and had everything they needed whilst they were living in harmony with nature. I think that humans have just become weaker, more dependant and I find money so false, as it's just paper notes and dolops of metal that we base our survival and happiness on.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I've read all I'm going to read about this guy. He's not living independantly off the grid. He's not producing anything. Where is his well?
His windmill? His garden? His methods of hunting, gathering, gardening to produce and preserve food? His methods od skinning and tanning hides for clothing?His methods for producing fuel to stay warm and hydrated in winter? He'd living like a stinking bum in a hole in wall accepting trash and handouts. He's no more prepared for the SHTF than a tract home owner in the suburbs with a credit card. Bahhh.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38

Originally posted by Applesandoranges

I like that subliminal tone that everything that has been for man in the beginning such as 'nature' to be called "hippie" residence or related to hippies. Maybe some people like to go back to their natural roots
Afterall everything else is just artificially man-made and hardly mimics how earth already supported us. Nothing is more perfect than sometthing that can renew itself compared to sometthing destructive that your future materialistic consumers have to throw in landfill after you die.

I don't know if that guy is a hippie or not, it doesn't matter. What I meant was that people buy into that stereotypical cliche` of the nature hippie. In my opinion that's why people are praising this guy, which is ok with me. I think he's very interesting.

Now, in contrast there are homeless people here who live exactly the same way, just in a different environment, yet they are not praised or appreciated.

Maybe it's due to the way his homelessness is being interpreted or presented to us. He is seen as a naturalist, like Emerson.

One of the first things the author of the article writes is that his cave stinks really bad. Not much different from the homeless and bums living spaces in NY. Does the environment really make that much of difference between being a naturalist like Emerson and being a NY City bum?

I'm just offering an interesting comparison.

I thought the same thing about this guy and never mentioned anything about agreeing with the guy in the article. He is not living true self sustainability. I would say he is what seems to be a bum or a true recluse. But i cannot say he is entirely a bum as he still can find himself wild plants to eat and bathe in the river whereas usually a bum just dumpster dives or relies on handouts.
Another thing is this guy is depressed. No true self sustaining person would be depressed and lock themselves away in darkness. He looks very depressed in his photo.
Self sustaining builds community and the teachings are passed on. You need to know permaculture, herbal medicines and herb foraging, building from recyclible materials or earth materials, know which plants to eat, what plants build fragrance in your body, finding nuts to grind and mix with water to make milk, making a dam, you have to be prepared to eat raw fruits and veggies which is more sustainable then cooking food unless you need too etc etc
If there were no tax problems this guy could have used the rivers spring water to grow crops, fruit trees, nut trees etc depending on the right climate for which plants according to permaculture methods.
It needs to be well planned and prepared years before you decide to jump ship.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I would love to live out in the sticks and drop off the grid but it would take careful planning and figuring on how to sustain oneself while still being a productive member of society. IMHO we are here to serve each other and quite frankly, I don't believe this is something that should (or even could) be done as an individual. It can only work if a group of people collaborate and form such communities with a broader view than the self.

I speak under correction but I think this guy is simply a lazy bum who, as far as I can figure, does survive on the pockets and good favor of others. I wonder what he gives back to the community in which he lives and from which he takes.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

This video is in parts, you need to find the other parts.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The one drawback to living 'free' is where to find land that you can live free on.

You cannot in most countries just move onto a piece of unused land and live there. Some areas have squatter's rights and homestead laws but there are very few places where that applies. If you don't mind remaining mobile like from cave to cave or tent to tent like a nomad... no problem

But building a cabin in the woods these days is not so easy

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join