It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could You Survive Without Money? Meet The Guy Who Does - And is Happier Than He has Ever been

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I met a fellow who lived in a cave in the Rio Grande near Big Bend National Park. He was a part-time kayak guide. He claimed to be content with his situation and chose to live this life.

I met another in the town of Soufrière of Saint Lucia (West Indies) who lived in a cave near Petit Piton on the Carribean coast. He climbed a coconut tree and retrieved some coco for me for a small fee. He claimed to be happy as well.

Both took the idea of Freedom serious in their life. There is a natural desire for one to yearn for Freedom though most settle for making the most of out of the system they have inherited.

Unfortunately, the 'system' is quite corrupt and the people remained divided and conquered by Design for the control of a few who have become estranged from Nature themselves. This could only have dire consequences as expected.

The people are 'awakening' though they also realize that at some point they will most likely have to fight for those Freedoms.

Peace, after the Revolution.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Man Who Gave Up Everything to Live Off the Land: "Living Off the Land Sucks."
www.thehammer.ca...

As for food, Higgenbottom's plans to hunt for his dinner have proven to be equally troublesome. "These animals, they run when you shoot at them. They move. It's not as easy as those hunting shows make it look. And even if I did hit one, I wouldn't know what to do with it if I actually wanted to eat it. Therefore, I've been subsisting on a diet of whatever I can get to grow in the permafrost. Hmmmm...turnips for dinner again tonight!"

Does he miss his hometown and the comforts of the material world? Yes. Yes he does.

"If I could afford it, I'd totally move back to Toronto. Unfortunately, the roof that I built with my own two hands caved in, and I had to blow the remainder of my savings on getting that fixed by a roofing contractor, who charged me five grand just to get here from Moose Factory. Ugh."

As for advice for those considering doing what he did? "Wait till the urge passes. Stay in your suburban house and buy a canoe or something. God. If you ever think about doing something like this, don't.

"Sure, the rat race may be a drag, but at least there are other rats around you can talk to."

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Wow, that guy is an idiot. Reminds me of the moron kid who poisoned himself and froze to death in that bus in Alaska.

First, can a man who uses words like "ennui" and wears a soul patch even survive a 5 mile hike let alone homesteading?

Second, he had no life experience and just figured "hey, sounds like fun?"

He just bought the first parcel he could afford? Would potatoes even grow there?

I really hope the bunch in favor of a homesteading lifestyle arent similar to this idiot and I hope those so quickly opposed to such a life who would scorn others for longing for it dont assume all of those longing are similar to this idiot.

Some folks who arent idiots:

www.livingoffgrid.org...
coyotecottage.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 23-7-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think i could do it if i could perhaps live on a beach somewhere in like Hawaii or Caribbean. I could build me a little thatch hut and live off fruits and fishing. I think i would definitely have to scrounge up a few bucks here and there for some Corona or Dos XX. Maybe watch some nice bikini clad ladies frolicking on the beach everyday and lure them into said hut with my good looks and guitar playing. I still think i would need a cell phone and a laptop so I would need a hot spot or i couldn't post on here. lol So maybe i could live off 100 bucks but i don't think i could make it with no money at all.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by parrothead0333]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I am aiming for the kingdom of God, this will set us free. I believe

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I am planning on doing the same thing. Except I'm going to use money tostart off until I am fully independent. I'm tired of being a slave to the monetary system and have been preparing to leave society for awhile now. I think that its awsome he is living free! And I can't wait to get there myself. I was thinking of converting alil dirt/street bike to run on water so I could just take off on it and find a good spot/s.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by (C2C)

Do you not have property taxes in Canada?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
STOP!

All of those who says he's a drain on society because he gets stuff out of trash cans, you're sick. Sick and twisted.

YOU THREW IT AWAY!

It was no use to you. It was going to be added to the environment as pollution. Yet you're all bent because you feel like he's TAKING something from you? What did you lose besides the good feeling of sending your wasteful excesses to a landfill?

HOLY CRAP WE MUST GUARD OUR SCARED TRASHPILES!

Is this what it's come to for you soulless monsters? Are you so inherently greedy that you think your steaming pile of poo that you discarded somehow becomes a loss if utilized by another? It's so ridiculously sad how many of you are living dead slaves to the depths of your beings.

BUT THAT'S GETTING SOMETHING FOR FREE!

Yeah it is. Some stuff should be free. Jealous because you're not free? Animosity towards yourself because you refuse to shed your shackles of fear because the comfort of being chained has grown on you? That's what i see in this world, and on this thread. Soulless, shallow, greedy, jealous people who hate themselves for their decision to sacrifice their existence on the altar of god money, but lack the will to break free.

I'D RATHER BE HOMELESS THAN A MILLIONAIRE

Really, i've made a million or more, maybe a couple million, i didn't really count. I've also lived "homeless" by choice for a while. I'd rather dig through trash than cash, really. Money can't buy you anything meaningful, only experiencing the world from outside the bubble of the ""safety net" of money. Only then will you have a true appreciation for life. Want to know why many homeless people remain homeless? It's because they know it's better than being someone else's property.

You're the drain and the mooch, those who offer their souls to the machine in exchange for crumbs, the same crumbs everyone gets. No different, your salaries and paychecks are the financial dumpsters of the slavemasters who have you all tricked. Worse off, they've got you brainwashed so much that you'll persecute those who aren't slaves for their freedom.

SOUNDS A LOT LIKE "TERRORISTS" THAT "HATE US FOR OUR FREEDOM" NOW DOESN'T IT?

And furthermore, since you oh-so caring-and-compassionate-civilized people cared so much about the earth as to pave over, pollute, fence off, strip mine, and otherwise destroy what was once good, people who don't make the slavery sacrifice are stuck living with the concrete and stucco cages blocking access and replacing viable natural habitat. If we didn't pave everything and put a dumpster on every corner to fill with useless waste in drastic excess, then people wouldn't have to dig through dumpsters because there'd be land left on which to farm, hunt, and gather. There'd be clean water to drink at least, and not the toxic puddles of waste we've created.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah we sure do have property taxes
If you want to live its set up so you basically have to pay. We need to get away from this and fast! And if you try and live on Government land up here, the RCMP will come and thow you off. If you are not around when they come they will just take all your gear and leave a note saying that if you want your stuff back you have to come and collect your ticket. Its hard to live free these days.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
For one to achieve a Sovereign lifestyle, communities will have to be formed. The best type of community imaginable today would be one formed on an estate or a large tract of land. 10 acres would be the minimum for such a community to survive.

The way I figure it, one acre for each person. 10 people per ten acres should be the general rule of thumb while carefully selecting the skillsets/temperaments of those you choose to include in such a society.

You would obviously need fresh potable drinking water, rich soil to sow, knowledge of farming/construction and Natural Medicine. There should be two individuals tasked with maintaining a natural herb/medicine garden. The most effective medicines are found in Nature to begin with. Unfortunately, the people have been mislead for the 'agenda' of the Other.

You would then need to be able and 'willing' to defend your boundaries. Perhaps developing alliances with other communities when trouble arises. If the people stand together in resistence to the NWO folk, the people will ultimately prevail.

I don't think any 'rational' person here on ATS can willingly 'accept' the world TPTB have in mind for them. Now that you know, it is 'your' responsibility to stop it and defend your inherent Right to Liberty and Independence.

To live as a Free Man/Woman Free of Will to Purpose should be the goal of mankind from here foward. Get back to your roots; they are found in Nature itself. Is Nature not the Revelation, Creation of Divinity itself? Of course; therefor there is no Reason to distrust it.

Live Free or Die trying and good luck?
We create our own luck now don't we?
Make it happen. You are not getting any younger and your dreams are merely waiting for You to participate.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Man is meant to strive for greatness.

Struggle results in both mental and spiritual growth. But if you're content to retreat to a cave, so be it.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tengkorak
I am aiming for the kingdom of God, this will set us free. I believe

Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you." Luke 18: 20-21

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Me personally, I am growing weary of this rat race thing. All of our time is consumed with accumulating money so that we can spend it on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make us happy.

Well okay but having been in the mountains in Utah in winter with several feet of snow a cave that you have to fight mountain lions for would not be my first choice...

Now an island in the south pacific... with coconut palms and a lagoon... fishing pole made of bamboo... nice hut made from trees... now that would be quiet pleasant

Besides you never know what the tide will wash up on the beach

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

hahaha the Captain probably capsized the boat because he was too busy staring at that red snapper in water.

[edit on 7/23/2009 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Man, that guy rules. Although I don't understand why he doesn't try to grow some of his own food lol.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I don't think that I want to give up my lifestyle.

I live within my means but I like to sleep in my bed.

I don't have any desire to be a dumpster diver and/or scavenge the land for roots and berries.

If he enjoys his life that's great. I don't want it.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DezertSkies

You are missing the point that many of us threw out.

He is a smooch off of normal society. Sure, what he is doing is a great service, but the point that was being thrown out there is that it is our so called "society" that is feeding this man. The same people who use money!

He is not living off the wilderness if he is garbage scrounging.

Some of you admire this man...which is fine, but he is living off of society regardless.

While I find garbage picking (for food mainly) disgusting and a way to get sick, I could care less. He certainly is not a hero for doing it though.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I don't know if i could handle the winter either and i don't know how many people could survive any other season but hey who knows maybe this guy is on to something. But how does he know what plants are ok to eat and which are not.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thats what I was thinking more or less Zorgon. Screw living in the cold frigid mountains, I would simply hobo it down closer to the equator and be a dirty beach bum.

You can catch and scrounge enough from the ocean to easily survive. The warm climate insures that you dont freeze to death. Just build a straw shack on the sand somewhere, find a clean water source and bam, you are ready to rock.

Being homeless in Utah...not so much. Being homeless or without money on a beach in the south Pacific...very nice.

PS: you can send the lady friend in the picture with me...I will look out for her

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
nothing is perfect except creation
and so everything is perfect
can you work with what i have given you
a simple tool will rust quickly and so you must thrust swiftly

that was not a sexual reference you simple fool
do you want to keel over or do you still feel sober
clover my leaves when my quatrain brought pain
if you thought the same as i do you would not be god

i do sob for my wilted children
my stilted cauldron is still brewing