It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello from the Top of the IQ Scale

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Does anyone know what "mensa" means in Spanish
well i would say the spanish people probly know.
you sure it's not spanglish?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I allways thought IQ was something you do at the supermarket .

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Welcome to the fray, Shane !

I choose not to compete; the variables display themselves in time.

Give me a shout if there's something you need help with. We can misunderstand it together.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This website used to be a lot better. It had more debate and people actually used valid sources to support their posts. I guess with the recession, people are going out less and coming online here to troll.

Many of the informative posters have left. But maybe it will turn around...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hello Shane. Welcome to the family.

ATS has been a two fold experience for me.

Anytime I can be the student and at other times the teacher is a good learning experience for me.

I do my best to keep my mind open to change yet stand strong for what I hold dear.

May your experience here be joyful as you learn and teach. We all have something to share.

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Does anyone know what "mensa" means in Spanish
well i would say the spanish people probly know.
you sure it's not spanglish?

In Spanish it means "stupid"
In Latin it means "table"

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This seems like an awfully long introduction thread...and the one being introduced is gone.

There have been occasions while on ATS that I felt like the thread I was on was an experiment in some social studies class at Patterson Air Force Base.

Does anyone know the record length for an introduction?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The problem with touting an IQ, that is above normal, is that it is only a measure of potential or relative intellectual capacity. It does not mean that a person with a 'high' IQ is rational, sane or even functional in everyday life. There are many instances where persons having a high IQ are still considered abnormal and perhaps even dangerous; look into the studies done on many serial killers and you will find that a disproportional amount have high IQs. Also, talk to a psychiatrist and (assuming they are willing to be frank) I bet they will tell you that some of their most dysfunctional patients are, in fact, possessors of a high IQ.

Having a high IQ is only one aspect of being human. Just like having large muscles doesn't automatically mean you are brave or tough; a high IQ doesn't necessarily mean that your mind is 'better' than anyone else's.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hello, Shane.

I am but a humble High School drop-out. I hope you don't mind me approaching you here, but you did introduce yourself first after all.

I wonder, how far have you made it in the re-education system of the fascist regime? What's it like? You see, I have this article I'm writing about how they make up these tests to dictate to people where they stand on the intellectual hierarchy. I'd really like to know from someone with experience whether or not this system of theirs is an effective method of convincing a person that an arbitrary number or a stamped and signed document is the be-all-end of of uber-leetness.

Do you wear a hat, by chance?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Well...Perhaps you should tell us in what upper IQ range you belong to. Do you hover any where near Marilyn vos Savant with her 238? Or maybe down further around 120-150 with the rest of us apes?

I'll be looking for you on the boards.

Happy hunting.

Do you realize that 140 to 150 is like .001% of the population?

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by randolrs1
A person has every right to their considerations regardless of if where it applies- religion, morality, politics, or even internet forums. Most problems in our civilization persist because man cannot yet differentiate between those trivial consideration and the true test of any action, ethics. It is the intelligent thing to do. But that is a topic for another thread, I wouldn't want this topic removed for violating decorum.

[decorum off]

ethics? are you serious? completely subjective. ethics and morality/religion are practically the same thing.

In Aristotle's view, when a person acts in accordance with his nature and realises his full potential, he will do good and be content.

son of sam and charles manson and hitler were all 'ethical' men, according to aristotle.

Hedonism posits that the principle ethic is maximizing pleasure and minimizing pain.

yeah, baby. now that's my kind of ethics, and i think high IQ peeps should be thrown into volcanoes, 'cause that would make me less jealous of them big brains, thereby bringing me freedom from mental pain, and pleasure from having improved my status in the intellectual circles like 'estupido', er, 'mensa'.

Post-structuralism and postmodernism are both heavily theoretical and follow a fragmented, anti-authoritarian course which is absorbed in narcissistic and near nihilistic activities.

uhhhhh......now we're talkin'

[/decorum off]

anyway, welcome to ATS.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS. Most IQ tests are actually NOT an accurate representation of one's intelligence IMO. I have read through many, done many and studied how they are constructed and put into practise. There is a lot of room for confounding variables (factors that interfere with results) to weaken the validity of these tests.

Of course, it also comes down to how you define Intelligence Quotient. Does having a better memory and better attention to detail make you more intelligent? Does recognising patterns more quickly than others make you more intelligent? Does having a gift for mathematics make one intelligent? Does having the ability to write clearly and fluently make one smart?

There is also the fact that most IQ tests are made up of multiple choice questions. So it is likely one can narrow down the answer to two plausible answers, which means they still have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer.

Also remember that while IQ is the normal test believed to show smart you are, other things like emotional intelligence are not included in these tests.

P.S.: Hello from the Bottom of the IQ scale. 37 and proud

[edit on 23/7/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Well howdy, Shane.

As you've undoubtably noticed by now, claims of very high IQ tend to get a large number of responses...I should have realized that, and done it my own self long ago. I am a reformed points monger...

"hello, my name is seagull, and I"m a points monger..."

Anyhooooo...

Welcome, and enjoy. We gots lotsa stuff...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Bleh, IQ this, IQ that. Is this supposed to be the definitive test in measuring mental capacity ???

an IQ test only measures ones accumulation of information, ... it does not measure a persons true capacity for problem solving or thought process.

Often times it is " the way" that people think which sets the genius's apart from the book shelves.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I am a reformed points monger..."hello, my name is seagull, and I"m a points monger..."

Can you give me points seagulll? Please....I miss my points . Just a few - I promise - that's it. That's all I'll ever ask for. Just one more points fix... please.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by passenger
The problem with touting an IQ, that is above normal, is that it is only a measure of potential or relative intellectual capacity. It does not mean that a person with a 'high' IQ is rational, sane or even functional in everyday life. There are many instances where persons having a high IQ are still considered abnormal and perhaps even dangerous; look into the studies done on many serial killers and you will find that a disproportional amount have high IQs. Also, talk to a psychiatrist and (assuming they are willing to be frank) I bet they will tell you that some of their most dysfunctional patients are, in fact, possessors of a high IQ.

Having a high IQ is only one aspect of being human. Just like having large muscles doesn't automatically mean you are brave or tough; a high IQ doesn't necessarily mean that your mind is 'better' than anyone else's.

Damn... dead on...

I actually saw a study where people with high IQ's that didn't get accelerated... or special help when young.

4 in 5 were dead in Jail or addicted to dope by the age of 35

Seriously, i'm a member of Mensa and half my life i'm a mess... not a bad mess, but still, I make enough money to get what i want then take a year off at a time or more, i'm unemployable if I don't work for myself because I just do whatever I want instead of what i'm supposed to do...

total pain in the neck to exist in the world like everyone else... very eccentric...

I went through a stage where I tried to fry my brains away by partying too much...

I'm pretty okay in life actually on most levels...

But yeah

High IQ needs special care... it took me getting old enough and mature enough to start really doing that job for myself and acknowledging I was kind of almost handicapped in a way to deal with it...

Life came close to turning genuinely bad for me...

I find a very simple life is whats working for me best...

High Iq is as much a curse as a blessing my friend...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Sorry to hear that - but I can relate.

Having parents that abuse you because you are a "smart a$$" that "asks toooo many questions" can really damage your future psyche. Add in an oppressive religious organization that reacts (very) negatively to dissent and/or questioning and you've got a recipe for life-long internal torment.

I know. Also, the pain of seeing what a lot of other people don't see right in front of them can drive you NUTS! How many time have you told people: "This is what's going to happen if you do this (X)"? And they don't listen - and then come to you later and say "(Sob) Guess wot jus' happen to meeeee?"

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by passenger

I will not be part of the problem...I'm sorry my friend

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
A Moron could know something you don't.

Hawkings has a very high IQ but can he wipe his own Butt.

And that guy that said he had IQ of 184, what are you doing on ATS, you should be somewhere doing Brain surgey on yourself.

I have a high IQ, I don't wipe my own butt either, but then again I am also very, very rich.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I have a high IQ, I don't wipe my own butt either, but then again I am also very, very rich.

I was going to ask 'who' does this task ... butt thought better... nevermind.

I agree on the whole IQ relevance. IQ does not equate to common sense (or even logic to a certain extent). High IQ folks must hang with people with common sense to survive this crazy place.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join