It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Thanks for your opinion, that quote has been deputed a little bit on here already, i posted my response on page one.

history is open to interpretation, since it has been so warped.

i appreciate your knowledgeable reply, you obviously know your Jefferson

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Originally posted by XXXN3O
"Life is but a coin with two sides, the problem is when both sides have one image no matter how many times the coin lands"

...but but but - a coin has two sides and an EDGE... folks always leave out the edge... i wonder why... oh, look, a butterfly!...

Ok.....

Nosebleed...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Only because he has never experienced a spiritual emotion. Not just an emotion but an all consuming entity that gives you peace inside. I do understand why people have a problem with religions. Because religions do separate and divide people of that are not of the same believe. But that's just it. Religions, its plural. There is only one Truth. Well which one is correct you might ask. That is the journey. Its up to you to find out. Never disregard a book or teachings without researching them physically and spiritually.

I never would disregard important information or new and useful knowledge.

I don't have a problem with a lot of the morals and just teachings within these religions, it is the corruptness and ideals of the church and religions themselves that turns me off..

I look at the wisdom within all religions as knowledge sitting there waiting for me to soak it up, and further to tell what is seems right and what seems not logical .

The only problem with this is that we are not told everything and therefore the logic we follow can sometimes unknowingly be flawed .

But I am an open mind and I welcome all new knowledge....My thoughts and beliefs are like a infinite expanding universe. I keep adding information and by doing so I achieve a greater percentage of the truth...

By adding knowledge, some things that I previously believed may not make sense to me anymore based on that which I now know.....

But I don't just accept all new knowledge as truth. And to that, there are various levels of truth to be found out..

Life is complex and yet so simple......I know there is a ONE GREAT Conscience, I believe that WE are it though.......And that is the " GOD" that OUR creators believe in and some of us do....

The ones who came before us and who helped create us were not Gods but very intelligent advanced beings who themselves tried to teach us these values. For us to listen and obey them they portrayed themselves as gods.

Over time some corrupt took advantage of the power of this and things over thousands of years became twisted to a degree that only very few can recognize the full truth.

There is much for us to learn but not all can be learned within one life time, that is why we have mulitiple lives and those lives depend on what we need to better our selves and our understanding with..

So yes there is a great god but we are it and it is us.......

And.......There are great teachings within these religions , there however are also many false teachings that have been thought to be true by the masses but are not.

We are still young and are susseptible to these diversions but I think that it is meant to be this way for us to learn on our own and then and only then will we start to understand.

I love this thread though and everyone in it has been very well behaved and very thought provoking no matter which side of the argument we are all on...

I wish all threads were void of ignorance like this is...

The best part is that most of us here realize we don't and can't know all but are willing to " trade knowledge" if you will, with each other because I believe we all have the best interest of finding what Life's purpose is........

S & F......Forgot to earlier....

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Very nice quotes.

I guess one of my favorites, and I don't even know who said it involves a young indian boy speaking with his grandfather.
The grandfather told him that inside of him were two waring wolves. One was good and one was evil. He added that they will fight to the death. The little boy asked his grandfather which one will win. The grandfather promptly replied,"Which ever one you feed the most."

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
the answer this simple for me how could the first thing ever exist how could anything ever create itself religon or science human understanding cant explain it cause it doesnt make sense end of discusssion for me

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

i just recently heard that quote for the first time, within the last couple days, kind of a cowinky-dink that you brought it up, i think its a great quote to.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Well said and well thought out. You are on your journey.

link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Star and Flag!!

I've already removed my religous blindfold long ago.

As stated in Zeitgeist, "The more you begin to investigate, what we think we understand, where we came from, what we think we're doing, the more you begin to see we've been lied to. "

link   

Originally posted by JMD87
the answer this simple for me how could the first thing ever exist how could anything ever create itself religon or science human understanding cant explain it cause it doesnt make sense end of discusssion for me

people couldn't comprehend how the world could be an orb, i mean think about it logically for a min, if it were an orb, everyone not very near to the top would fall off and drift into space.

sometimes things that seem obvious aren't, one day maybe a thousand years from now, will figure out "how", until then we will just have to be curiously patient

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power. Most of the gods were pleased with sacrifice, and the smell of innocent blood has ever been considered a divine perfume
Robert G. Ingersoll

No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means.
George Bernard Shaw

It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan

I am treated as evil by people who claim they are being oppressed because they are not allowed to force me to practice what they do. D. Dale Gulledge

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Hey Badmedia. I too appreciate you taking time to respond to my post.

I challenge you to apply the Scientific Method to the realm of a "Spirit" or a "Soul" or a "Consciousness".

Refusing to Apply the Scientific Method to "Faith" is cheating. No free passes.

I challenge you to present a Religion that did or does not use an Afterlife or a continuance of the soul as it's main selling point.

Also Badmedia I am looking forward to hear what quotes regarding Atheism you think are interesting.

Thanks for pointing out my error! Edited.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by TurkeyBurgers]

[edit on 12-7-2009 by TurkeyBurgers]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

another set of great quotes i am unfamiliar with, thank you for contributing

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JMD87

Well...we are here, at least our minds perceive us to be. Religion says there is a reason. Science says there is a reason for everything.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

Thanks. In some looney bins; as part of coping skills, you get to cut out quotes and paste them on colorful paper as some sort of inspiration. Not that I am confirming in any way that I have had a stay or two in the padded Ritz

I still like to read and ponder good quotes. I even clip some out and paste them on colorful paper.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
reply to post by badmedia

Hey Badmedia. I too appreciate you taking time to respond to my post.

I challenge you to apply the Scientific Method to the realm of a "Spirit" or a "Soul" or a "Consciousness".

Separating "Faith" from Science is cheating.

I challenge you to present a Religion that did or does not use an Afterlife or a continuance of the soul as it's main selling point.

Also Badmedia I am looking forward to hear what quotes regarding Atheism you think are interesting.

Can science measure how many coincidences are needed before they become fact?

Science itself is corrupted by people changing results for cash.

Science is a faith in itself.

You said so yourself, you cannot seperate science from religion.

Science has many denominations just like religion. How can you expect one person to answer your questions?

Badmedia is not god.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
Thomas Jefferson

This is a Christian view of atheism

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Roberts

Doesn't explain, logical fallacy

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
Richard Dawkins

This is not completely true. My guess is that the religions to which he refers teach that one should not attach oneself to the world. This is turns out to be a good way to face your fears, because many phobias are rooted in a perceived threat of existential annihilation.

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.”
John Buchan

Logical fallacy, and a bit narrow-minded. Everybody wants to submit themselves to something infallible. What's more infallible than something that is perfect, something that is not easily accessible in ordinary waking life?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion

Very nice quotes.

I guess one of my favorites, and I don't even know who said it involves a young indian boy speaking with his grandfather.
The grandfather told him that inside of him were two waring wolves. One was good and one was evil. He added that they will fight to the death. The little boy asked his grandfather which one will win. The grandfather promptly replied,"Which ever one you feed the most."

My father told me that one years ago (i'm native myself, by the way haha coincidentally), and I tell it to my children as well.

It's one of those rare, indisputable Truths that we're always seeking after, wrapped up as a little gem.

Wish we had more of them to go with lol

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
"For if we could guarantee them their dogma of immortality in some other way, the lively ardor for their gods would at once cool; and… if continued existence after death could be proved to be incompatible with the existence of gods… they would soon sacrifice these gods to their own immortality, and be hot for atheism." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us." — Neil deGrasse Tyson

This is my first encounter with the quote by Schopenhauer. It is remarkable that so many modern-day adherents are more attentive to the prospects of reward and punishment than to the adoration of their god(s).

I love Neil deGrasse Tyson! I love individuals who encourage a child-like fascination with the complexities that form our physical universe.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

The Scientific Method is as good as it gets. Apply it without prejudice and marvel and awe at the results. Some of the most fantastic discoveries in Science have been accidents (radiation) but it was not until the Scientific Method was applied to them that they came about full circle.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

ahahaha i so had to star you there

I think that finding our OWN quotes to live by are the best way to do things, though sometimes having a stand-in does just as well.

My own personal quote that i live by is.. ."I am the strangest person I have ever met."

I try to live up to it every day

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join