It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

For me George Carlin sums it up pretty well.

George Carlin on religion

Pretty hard to refute his primary arguments.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Wise man:
1+1=2
Fool:
1+1=2
Wise man:
1+1=3
Fool:
1+1=2
Wise man:
1+1=1
Fool:
1+1=2
Wise man:
1+1=4
Fool:
1+1=2
Wise man:
1+1=5
Fool:
1+1=2
Wise man:
1+1=1
Fool:
1+1=2
Wise man:
1+1=2
Fool:
1+1=2
Wise man:
1+1=6
Fool:
1+1=2

Do you mean like that?
Or are you going to change your mind?

LOL

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
im a devout athiest dont pray every day swear down lol
the way i see it is ill do what i want by the bible or not but the day im on my deathbed ill repent - just in case.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
called shooting craps,
Here is the answer you might receive:
"Begone, I do not know you, because you refused to know Me when I gave you a lifetime of chances".

oops, one of the chances just passed.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My 2 cents worth of quotes

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein.

"Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools." - Gene Brown.

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live." - Lin Yutang

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; Seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

"We all return; it is this certainty that gives meaning to life..." - Gustav Mahler.

"We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them." - Kahlil Gibran.

"Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong

"He that never changes his opinion never corrects mistakes and will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today." - Tyron Edwards.

"Some people think this is it; fish think the same thing about the ocean." - Richard Wilkins.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein.

"At the moment you are most in awe of all there is about life that you don't understand, you are closer to understanding it all than at any other time." - Jane Wagner.

"Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking." - Kahlil Gibran.

"If you are deluded and full of doubt, even a thousand books of scripture are not enough." - Fen-Yang.

And on a lighter note:

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett (Diggers).

"Maybe there's no devil, it's just God when He's Drunk." - Tom Waits.

"The universe is insane, you must learn to embrace the madness or be consumed by it" - can't remember who said/ wrote that, or this - "if at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" or "Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better".

And just because the guy has a point:

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." - Cpt Picard (Star Trek TNG episode - The Drumhead).

Ok - maybe I got carried away a bit. I love good quotes

Hope you enjoy some of them as much as I did.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
A few more:

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today. – Isaac Asimov

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. – Steven Weinberg

A God who kept tinkering with the universe was absurd; a God who interfered with human freedom and creativity was tyrant. If God is seen as a self in a world of his own, an ego that relates to a thought, a cause separate from its effect. he becomes a being, not Being itself. An omnipotent, all?knowing tyrant is not so different from earthly dictators who make everything and everybody mere cogs in the machine which they controlled. An atheism that rejects such a God is amply justified. – Karen Armstrong

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoboKy
Excellent quotes. It's reassuring to see other atheists on this site, because, let's be frank, there are not many of us out there and many who arent willing to admit it. It's such a dirty word where I live, many of my friends who are most defiantly atheists hide behind the veil of agnosticism, because even that is more acceptable. I've got no problem with the spiritual/religious, I just wish I was afforded the same courtesies I give to them.

All self-professed atheists are agnostic in principle. They are open to a change in their position if convincing evidence turns up.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by satnav_c-1
im a devout athiest dont pray every day swear down lol
the way i see it is ill do what i want by the bible or not but the day im on my deathbed ill repent - just in case.

Why don't you convert to Islam? Or Buddhism? Your choice is arbitrary. Besides, if God exists, he certainly wouldn't be fooled by your lame attempt to win his favor.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

For me George Carlin sums it up pretty well.

George Carlin on religion

Pretty hard to refute his primary arguments.

George Carlin was an American treasure. We are impoverished by his absence.

top topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join