It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMythLives
So their are others like us out in the world. The trouble is finding them in the heep of arguments from believers and skeptics....

Hahah well to be fair I myself have met a lot of people in the same vein... Not sure if I attract them or what, but my own personal thoughts is that there are many more open minded people on every side of every argument, it's just the radicals are the loudest, and everyone assumes that anyone representing their argument must be the same way.

I myself know better.. but some folks don't. Yet. They'll get there, I think

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

This is like 300 years B.C. he said this. Pretty amazing thinker for over 2000 years ago

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Exactley! We have learned a valuable lesson that we have unfortunely forgotten... Look at the genocides sinse then the Rwanda Genocide, the Yugoslavic? Genocide and many others. We have not learned our lesson yet, but we need to catch on quick, or someone just like him will sprout up.

[edit on Jul 12th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

Then he is malevolent.

Then whence cometh evil?

Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

This is like 300 years B.C. he said this. Pretty amazing thinker for over 2000 years ago

wow now those hit home. thank you for adding those to the thread, very thought provoking.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Hitler wasn't even close to the most evil man. He was a powerful delusional bastard sure, but history is full of people more evil. He wasn't the only one to subscribe the the theory of eugenics at that time. Most of the great thinkers did, he was just sick enough to actually try to do something about it on a large scale right then and there.

Not defending him, just clearing up a misconception about a historical figure due to history teachers being unable to provide an objective view of history.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoboKy
Excellent quotes. It's reassuring to see other atheists on this site, because, let's be frank, there are not many of us out there and many who arent willing to admit it. It's such a dirty word where I live, many of my friends who are most defiantly atheists hide behind the veil of agnosticism, because even that is more acceptable. I've got no problem with the spiritual/religious, I just wish I was afforded the same courtesies I give to them.

Well I'm not an Atheist but i don't really believe that the gods of others are real gods. Yes Some May say I'm foolish to believe they were mortal beings who are just far more advanced than us.

We were the result of creationism , but natural selection and evolution does exist.....

We were just sped up and modified.....As they possibly were before us...

What does this make me then? I see both sides of the argument but don't agree 100% with either...

Sorry, not trying to change subject but I figured there would be both atheist and non responding in here and maybe they could offer some useful input.....

Both sides are correct in some aspects and both sides are wrong in many aspects....

I have found some though :

1.) The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality. – George Bernard Shaw

2.) Faith means not wanting to know what is true. – Friedrich Nietzsche

3.) I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. – Frank Lloyd Wright

4.) We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. – Gene Roddenberry

I find the form of and way of thinking kind of calming , yet I don't fully agree with all of these....They are still great thoughts by humans though...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Oh I know, as i said, most people look at him that way.. I do know there have been worse, and some quite insidious in their actions. So much so that it's not until years later we find out the truths.

Thanks for pointing that out, though, much appreciated. Just wanted to drive home a little point on looking at life, the universe and everything lol

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Yes, lets not forget that it was AMERICAN EUGENICS that gave hitler the ideas to begn "eliminating" the weak and the unwanted (They called them Jews, blacks, whites, asians and many others, accept 'Aryan' of course). Lets not forget that the Japanese also felt that they were better then the world and they thought they were 'gods' as well. The Italians thought the same and of course many others. We are just as guilty because we rejected nearly 4 millions Jews from coming to America to save them. Because our president thought they were 'unwanted' as well, but I understand why he did it, he thought that some of those Jews were spies and they would atatck America. I understand that, but when they are begging for help and information states that they are being killed by the thousands (before it escalated). Makes you think how the fear of evil can spread like wild fire.

link   
There is a test for Intelligence, but Creativity can never be tested. For it involves the whole of the Universe.

link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

What does this make me then?

An independent, individual with a free thinking open mind, capable of reaching his/her own conclusions without regard.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonymouse876
Great quotes, gotta say I agree with them.

The thing is that quoting the founding fathers as Christian/Muslim/Atheist/Pagan/etc... is hard to do. Back in those days, if you weren't part of a church you were an outcast.

From the quotes I've read, it appears they were either open-minded Christians* or deists.

* - I'm not saying all Christians are closed-minded, but some are.

Yea but we don't know what they secretly believed.....

I will talk about certain things with friends but I never reveal my true beliefs because I'd rather not argue with them.......they are friends and we enjoy each others company and that could ruin it .......I am smart enough to know when to keep my mouth shut, yet smart enough to realize my own beliefs and the opinions of others, and weight them together to form my own opinion about what IS...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indianapolis
Aldous Huxley "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney "Religion does three things quite effectively : Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people. "

unknown "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish "

Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d. "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. "

Robert M. Pirsig "When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion. "

The Simpsons tv show "Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion."

[edit on 12-7-2009 by Indianapolis]

Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d. "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. "

That is probably one of the most Wise comments by any human being ever.....

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Well, personally I've never understood why the argument of creation/evolution to begin with.. Just because evolution exists (and i think it does, even if not on the massive scale as is presently thought... adaptation and all that jazz is still evolution haha), doesn't preclude an intelligence or a souce behind it (even if that source is NON intelligent)

I think it's more just a way to keep us divided, keep us arguing, and keep people unfocused on truer issues.

And just as religion affords the opportunity for evil people to flourish, so does atheism. That's just people, and if they're of evil intent, they'll find whatever means they can to commit their evil. They'll just choose the path of least resistance to them.

Just scratching the surface on what you had me thinking of, but I didn't want to go too far off topic.

Either way, I am grateful for everyone, all sides, so far having sane minds and sane ways of expressing themselves. It's been a nice thread so far, thanks everyone!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

Then he is malevolent.

Then whence cometh evil?

Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

1 He is willing, but only through us

2 Explained by 1

3 Explained by 1

4 Explained by 1

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

poetic counter argument

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Yes i believe that evolution is real also. Just as our learning has to progress for survival for tomorrow, our bodies must also. In simple terms its just change.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Thank you. I believe proof is not just physical but spiritual also. If or when science teaches us how to measure the spiritual, then many questions will be answered.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson wasn't atheist. He was a big fan of Jesus and wrote his own bible with just the teachings of Jesus. He was a deist and believed in a higher power, just didn't believe in the church. I don't either.

Jefferson Bible

Thomas Jefferson believed that the ethical system of Jesus was the finest the world has ever seen. In compiling what has come to be called "The Jefferson Bible," he sought to separate those ethical teachings from the religious dogma and other supernatural elements that are intermixed in the account provided by the four Gospels. He presented these teachings, along with the essential events of the life of Jesus, in one continuous narrative.

This means that Jefferson believed for the very works sake(John 14).

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Roberts

In the end, it is only logical that there is only one true god/father of all things. This is quote is a logical fallacy.

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
Richard Dawkins

This guy doesn't have a clue at all. I see him mentioned alot, and he only attacks what the church does and preaches. If he had actually read the bible rather than pointing out the flaws in others as his "proof", he would know that the statement is 100% false. The bible constantly talks about the importance of understanding over the acceptance of what men say(church).

"Fear" in the following passages doesn't mean fear in the way we think of it. It means respect, to be in awe of etc.

Proverbs 8

10Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.

11For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

Proverbs 9

9Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.

10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Psalm 111

10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

So that guy doesn't have the first clue. It is all about understanding things. Does the church reflect that? Not usually. But that he would use the church as an example, only goes to show that he is allowing the church to define the topic for him. Rather than thinking logically, he is accepting they are a representation of god. Clearly they aren't. God doesn't need a religion.

When Jesus is asked why he speaks in parables, his response is basically - to give understanding.

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.”
John Buchan

An atheist is a man who has yet to realize that god is within and that the things the claim to "go by" so much, such as understanding, knowledge and logic is only possible because the father is within him. An atheist doesn't just deny god, they deny themselves.

Maybe someday they will come to understand the father and son relationship, and maybe someday religions will too. Both are the same to me, they only accept and go off what people say, and do not understand for themselves.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Only because he has never experienced a spiritual emotion. Not just an emotion but an all consuming entity that gives you peace inside. I do understand why people have a problem with religions. Because religions do separate and divide people of that are not of the same believe. But that's just it. Religions, its plural. There is only one Truth. Well which one is correct you might ask. That is the journey. Its up to you to find out. Never disregard a book or teachings without researching them physically and spiritually.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Here are a few of my favorites. I don't know and don't particularly care whether or not every author was an atheist, only that the quotes reflect an atheistic view.

If triangles had a God, He'd have three sides. - old proverb, oft-repeated in the works of philosophers; may be of Yiddish origin

If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the best that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever. Woody Allen (1935 - )

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself. - Richard Burton

(speaking on the foundations of religion) The few took advantage of the ignorant many. They pretended to have received messages from the Unknown. They stood between the helpless multitude and the gods. They were the carriers of flags of truce. At the court of heaven they presented the cause of man, and upon the labor of the deceived they lived. - Robert Ingersoll (Why Am I an Agnostic?, North American Review, December, 1889)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join