It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Atheist Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

Part of free will is the ability to give it away. If you love something, then you set it free. If it loves you, then it comes back to you.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

And yet, if he did then you would accuse him of slavery and infringing on the free will of others. In essence, you would make him into the evil.

Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Surely you realize the garden and apple in genesis isn't talking about literal things? The tree of knowledge, to know both good and evil. You have to experience evil in order to gain understanding and wisdom of it. How do you expect to understand what it means to be hot, if you do not also understand what it means to be cold? It is from the differences and conflict that brings about understanding.

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

This is like 300 years B.C. he said this. Pretty amazing thinker for over 2000 years ago

Because he is the eternal consciousness that is within all. The one and only ultimate observer in quantum physics, and without the father that man wouldn't have even been able to contemplate such things to begin with.

You seem to think god is a sky fairy. You do not even know yourself, so how can you expect to understand that which is much greater than yourself? It's like trying to grasp the concept of a forest without knowing what a single tree is.

What are you?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Nice referencing.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell

OK not an atheist quote unless you apply it against the church. Still very good quote especially considering the site

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I want to contribute some more quotes to your thread. I find the subject of religion to be the most important one in all of human existence. And one that took me the longest amount of time, my entire lifetime so far, to even remotely begin to understand.

"We must find our way to a time when faith, without evidence, disgraces anyone who would claim it." -Sam Harris

"...it is a telling fact that, the world over, the vast majority of children follow the religion of their parents rather than any of the other available religions." -Richard Dawkins

"For if we could guarantee them their dogma of immortality in some other way, the lively ardor for their gods would at once cool; and… if continued existence after death could be proved to be incompatible with the existence of gods… they would soon sacrifice these gods to their own immortality, and be hot for atheism." - Arthur Schopenhauer

I like that last one a crapton because it speaks largely of how I view religion. A way for people to come to terms with the fear of death.
Not many religions out there that tell you there is no afterlife lol.

"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

My favorite quote regarding Religion would be one you might not consider to be a quote in the typical sense of a quote.

It is none other than the Scientific Method!

1. Define the question
2. Gather information and resources (observe)
3. Form hypothesis
4. Perform experiment and collect data
5. Analyze data
6. Interpret data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for
new hypothesis
7. Publish results
8. Retest (frequently done by other scientists)

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Hey I hope you don't mind, but I think its important for all of us to realize that we are all seeking the TRUTH, whatever that is. all religions, Catholicsim, Judaism, and even my own Christianity are nothing mor ethan just THEORIES, even though I do not personally like to think like that, its the truth! I can only prove the bible up to a point after that faith takes over. Also Evolution and Big Bang are also theories, yet MANY of us including me forget that they are just theories as well. Its when we cross that theory line and begin to spout off those theories as fact that we encounter problems and lose the way to intelligent arguments and civil debates and end up throwing punches and cursing eachother out.

[edit on Jul 12th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
Here are four quotes from atheist thinkers that speak to me.

Feel free to add your own atheist quotes, and just to be fair and balanced if you religious folks wanna throw in yours that's fine to.

Without further ado, here are my four favorites.

“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
Thomas Jefferson

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Roberts

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
Richard Dawkins

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.”
John Buchan

I look forward to reading what you guys think about these quotes, and which ones you yourself admire.

Mod's: sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

I will give you a few that I just thought up in my own head upon reading your textbook quotes.

"You can bang your head against a wall all day but it will never break you free"

"To be free of satisfaction with your place in the world is to abandon your own thoughts and seek distraction"

"I think therefore I am but what must I be to think of what I am?"

"Life is but a coin with two sides, the problem is when both sides have one image no matter how many times the coin lands"

When it comes to society...

"Give me a voice and I will tell you a story. Take my voice and you become my story"

[edit on 12-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

What does this make me then?

An independent, individual with a free thinking open mind, capable of reaching his/her own conclusions without regard.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

I can go with that. :-) haha......

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Roberts

wow!

That one is excellent!

O_E

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Histopherness
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell

that is a great quote, i wouldn't be surprised if i saw that as someones signature soon (maybe mine...)

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs

Stephen Roberts

wow!

That one is excellent!

O_E

It is very thought provoking, that's why it made my list of top four, i would say its one of my favorites but that seems obvious
(oops said it anyway
)

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Well said,

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
"We must find our way to a time when faith, without evidence, disgraces anyone who would claim it." -Sam Harris

And the bible says the same thing.

Psalm 82

2How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

The bible and Jesus is constantly talking about the foolishness of accepting things vs understanding. It is only the church, and those who have deemed themselves "authority" on these things that teach acceptance. It's the entire function of authority, to be accepted as truth. Thus, the entire reason Jesus tells them - do not make yourself into an authority.

If you accept, then you will not understand. Plain as day. It's the difference between memorizing 1+1=2 because some authority told you, and actually being able to add. The church preaches 1+1=2 but does not give real understanding most times. They decieve men for power, but if you can't realize that the bible specifically talks against these things, then you aren't even looking for the truth, you're looking for ways to prop up your own beliefs and bias.

"...it is a telling fact that, the world over, the vast majority of children follow the religion of their parents rather than any of the other available religions." -Richard Dawkins

Oh this guy again. It's called culture. I also speak the same language as my parents, eat the same kinds of foods, took the same math classes and so forth. HELLO!!!!.

As already established, real truth is understanding. Understanding is universal. The ways in which that understanding is expressed changes from culture to culture. I may express math with the symbols 1+1=2, another culture may use completely different symbols. But guess what? While we may be using different symbols and such, we are still expressing the same understanding.

A rose by any other name smells the same. That you would quote such nonsense and not make the above obvious connection is sad.

"For if we could guarantee them their dogma of immortality in some other way, the lively ardor for their gods would at once cool; and… if continued existence after death could be proved to be incompatible with the existence of gods… they would soon sacrifice these gods to their own immortality, and be hot for atheism." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Once again, dogma = acceptance. Those who make themselves into authorities into be accepted are the "wicked". You are not supposed to do that at all.

I like that last one a crapton because it speaks largely of how I view religion. A way for people to come to terms with the fear of death.
Not many religions out there that tell you there is no afterlife lol.

And yet, you are still accepting what people say about god as being an actual reflection of god. As such, even though you deny and disagree with them, you are still putting them into authority on the topic and allowing them to define it for you.

If I say the sky is yellow. 1 person accepts that I am telling the truth, has no idea and says - the sky is yellow! And then another person comes along and says, "I don't see anything yellow, the sky doesn't exist!". Well guess what? It doesn't matter which side of the argument they have taken, BOTH have accepted me as an authority on the topic of the sky, and both still lack understanding.

You are doing the same thing. Atheists and believers - same thing to me. Just people who do not understand.

"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

What is flesh is flesh, what is spirit is spirit. Science is best suited for bringing about understanding of the flesh, Philosophy(religion without the authority and in it's pure form) is best suited for matters of the spirit. It is foolish to think you must pick 1 or the other, rather than using and putting both in their proper places.

Science = action and reaction.
Philosophy = reason and understanding.

Or has been expressed for ages, what is flesh is flesh(creation/action and reaction) and what is spirit is spirit(reason and understanding).

It takes a scientist(reason and understanding) in order to have science.

My favorite quote regarding Religion would be one you might not consider to be a quote in the typical sense of a quote.

It is none other than the Scientific Method!

1. Define the question
2. Gather information and resources (observe)
3. Form hypothesis
4. Perform experiment and collect data
5. Analyze data
6. Interpret data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for
new hypothesis
7. Publish results
8. Retest (frequently done by other scientists)

How about actually applying that, rather than accepting what people say. You haven't even begun to ask the right questions, which means let me know when you make it to step 1.

What are you?.

[edit on 7/12/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
“If there is a god, atheism must seem to him as less of an insult than religion."
- Edmond de Goncourt

“It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so."
- Ernestine Rose

“A religion without a goddess is halfway to atheism."
- Dion Fortune

“I'm not an athiest. How can you not believe in something that doesn't exist? That's way too convoluted for me.”
- A. Whitney Brown

“If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color”
- Mark Schnitzius

“My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests.”
- George Santayana

...there was a really good one i heard a long time ago but i cant remember exactly how it goes... something like - god(s) are for people who think a quadraplegic needs a bicycle... naw, thats not it but its sorta kinda close... cant remember who the famous person was either but, o'well, i bet they had crs moments too, lmao...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Ya, it is well said. Im not an athiest, but I will definitely be using it in the future...
well done

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

Thank you my friend! I appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

We as a people often times find great influence in the words of another. What would be your words to influence a generation. We all have them. Lets hear them.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Jefferson was a Deist, he believed in a higher power but not through organized religion .. Of course quite a few of the Founding Fathers were in fact Deist, almost all hid behind another "title" as Deism was exactly thought of in good light.

The quote you provide is a statement of his Deistic beliefs, and has absolutely nothing to do with Atheism (I think you may have misread it). He is telling us blind fear is no excuse to worship any God.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

thank you for taking so much time, and putting so much thought into all your replies.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Any formal attack on ignorance is bound to fail because the masses are always ready to defend their most precious possession – their ignorance.

~ Hendrik Van Loon

OR

The trouble with most folks isn’t so much their ignorance, as knowing so many things that ain’t so.

~ Josh Billings

Of course Edmund Burke had the best quote for why any of us even bother.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Not that I let any of this get me down, My sig says it all

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
"Life is but a coin with two sides, the problem is when both sides have one image no matter how many times the coin lands"

...but but but - a coin has two sides and an EDGE... folks always leave out the edge... i wonder why... oh, look, a butterfly!...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join