It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of your white collar deskjob?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Well I've had it with all the hypocrisy going on in the workplace. They've thought they have all nice, neat, and clean and at the top of their careers, when all I see is a rotting corpse deep inside. Working as a position of analyst in an IT firm.

I used to have a blue collar job, basically, non-professional work before as a jack of all trades person in a video/photography services company. Mostly as a camera-man and fixing computers and doing digital editing when not in the field. It was more fun, it's like being in the middle of a battlefield once the show starts, no sleep, all the curses flying around, in the end, a nice group hug that we made it all out alive! The salary was obviously less but was worth it.

Right now, I'm working out the process of working far far away from where I used to and perhaps settling with an non-desktop-based job. Needs to have my mind cleared to perfect my hobby of scientific research! Tired of desktop ####!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

It's all about perspective. I am in a blue collar job and I find it to be just about as soul crushingly pointless as they come. Unless you are doing what you love, all jobs suck.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Well then we might have a different perspective... But I'm growing more and more annoyed of fast-paced city-living perhaps influenced by my quest for truth.

I just can't stand spending time among people, who needs to smoke cigarettes with friends, go buy starbucks, get drunk at night, make a lot of noise, and the late-night partying...

And they really have to do that to be happy(and they are sadly, all doing the same thing!), anything else, they show this terrible face that is sure to ruin somebody's day!

Like I said, I've worked blue collar jobs, worked outside and away from the city, where the people are more simple, content, pleasant, and nice. I miss it

I've always been nice and upbeat at work, sadly, it's not working. Diversity of culture is far from being respected. Anyway, I'm moving off to another country where blue-collar salary is actually quite bigger than my white collar job at home!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
My husband works as an IT help desk person for 3M, but his office was getting too crowded so they picked a handful of people to telecommute and he was one of the lucky ones. Now he gets all the benefits of having a white collar desk job without dealing with the sickening personalities of his co-workers.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I would say perspective as well...the couple blue collar jobs I had were just a waste of brainpower in my own case...I am not calling blue collar dumb...not by a long shot...just not for me

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

You hit the nail on the head there. I loved my job at the Census Bureau as it entailed many different duties, from delivering stuff to entering (keying) forms in a computer. I loved that each day was going to be different, and I was always busy when my supervisor would remind me that quitting time is in 15 minutes and I had to put my stuff away. It also meant I was not a clockwatcher as so many other workers are.

The job was temporary, otherwise I would still be doing it.

Other blue collar type jobs are the worst in the world, and I would much rather be a desk jockey. As you state, it is all a matter of what type of job it is.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
You hit the nail on the head there. I loved my job at the Census Bureau as it entailed many different duties, from delivering stuff to entering (keying) forms in a computer. I loved that each day was going to be different

I would actually appreciate it if that was the case. I kept telling my superiors for a different assignment and always denied, guess I'm stuck with co-workers with the bad attitudes, so I'm leaving :/

They need me a lot, because, I'm probably the only guy around who can keep a cool head in emergencies :/ Their loss

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I hate to be stuck at the office when the sun is shining outside!

I hate wearing a warm suit & tie when everyone else are running around in shorts and t-shirts! - and the women have their cool & thin summer dresses! - most unfair!

I'm working in the family business - but I really need to do something else before I go totally bonkers!

Thankfully I can slip away for a few hours here and there between clients & some perks are good since my old dad is the boss!

But I really would like to have a job working outside in the fresh air or something related to nature, but I don't have the slightest idea what that would be?

Forest/park ranger?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by ahnggk

It's all about perspective. I am in a blue collar job and I find it to be just about as soul crushingly pointless as they come. Unless you are doing what you love, all jobs suck.

You've got a very valid point in saying all jobs suck unless you love what you're doing. Circumstances being what they are for the moment, I've been presented with the opportunity to discover what it is that I do love doing. The problem is I can't make a living doing what I love to do because I'm no good at it. LOL Its another paradox among many.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut

I've been presented with the opportunity to discover what it is that I do love doing. The problem is I can't make a living doing what I love to do because I'm no good at it. LOL Its another paradox among many.

No it's not a paradox, in fact, I don't know how you can't be good at something you love to do!

For example my dream job was to work at international airlines flying international routes as an airline pilot. I actually performed well at the commercial flight simulators, flying the aircraft and operating aircraft systems!

But as usual, dream jobs are usually very hard to attain. You either had to have lots of friends or connections or both! Haven't given up on my dream yet though. I'm on a personal research for alternative propulsion systems for aircraft and with luck, I might be able to fly an experimental aircraft I built myself
Of course, after several years worth of being a company slave.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Remember one thing about outdoor jobs such as letter carrier and meter reader: They have to do it in all kinds of weather such as rain and snow. The nice days can be wonderful, but below zero weather is the downside.

The grass is always greener...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was in the foothills of the Carpathians in March. I was 150 feet above the harbor in Singapore last week and I'll be installing some machinery on a rig in Italy next month.
We lost 120 of 188 guys to firings and layoffs this year. I've had dysentery a number of times this year and more new cases of cold,flu,crud and terminal jet lag than I care to recall. I've been frozen boiled baked and fried. I came close to getting fired last weekand I'm half out of my skull with stress most of the time. I don't have a decent social life or any friends left because I'm never home. When I am home I don't do anything but try to catch up and get ready to leave again. I haven't dated in over a year and I'm pretty sure I'm losing any real ability to be genuinely social with humans.

I'd still rather do this than be in a cubicle.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I've never had a white-collar job
Always blue collar.
I've too, have worked in the snow, rain, heat, fog. I've also worked in several countries but always permanent jobs. When I get bored, I find another permanent job somewhere. I started in Chicago and have been in the deserts and one remote island after that.
I hate having to work, but it could be worse.

new topics

top topics

join