It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: U.S. not giving Israel green light to attack Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Obama: U.S. not giving Israel green light to attack Iran

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) — The United States is “absolutely not” giving Israel a green light to attack Iran, U.S. President Barack Obama told CNN Tuesday.

“We have said directly to the Israelis that it is important to try and resolve this in an international setting in a way that does not create major conflict in the Middle East,” Obama said, referring to Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden appeared to leave the door open on Sunday for Israel to attack Iran if it saw fit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Link here

[edit on 7-7-2009 by heineken]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
“Israel can determine for itself — it’s a sovereign nation — what’s in their interest and what they decide to do relative to Iran and anyone else,” Biden said on ABC’s “This Week.”

Obama said Tuesday that Biden had simply been stating a fact, not sending a signal.

“I think Vice President Biden stated a categorical fact, which is we can’t dictate to other countries what their security interests are. What is also true is that it is the policy of the United States to resolve the issue of Iran’s nuclear capabilities in a peaceful way through diplomatic channels,” he said.

The State Department took a similar line on Monday.

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I think Vice President Biden stated a categorical fact, which is we can’t dictate to other countries what their security interests are.

Covering all the bases. We think they "should" try to avoid conflict, buuuut.....we can't tell them not to attack. This way, when they do attack, our hands are clean.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

fishy right....politics huh!!!

i agree with you on this

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What is this, like the 10th time Obama has to come out and clarify or re-state something that spewed from Biden's mouth? Biden is probably uknowingly being used as a pawn.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You should review the interview between the Russian President and Prime Minister as to what they both said in a joint statement with Obama hanging on the side lines.

Its not about the U.S. or Israel, this is Russia's backyard and until they say you can go and fetch the ball, no one will be doing much apart from words. Similar to what N.Korea was doing to the U.S. If China and Russia do not give the green light, no one will be doing anything against N.Korea.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
My only real comment here to these statements is what people in in public, to and around reporters, is completely different what what will be said behind closed doors.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
You should review the interview between the Russian President and Prime Minister as to what they both said in a joint statement with Obama hanging on the side lines.

Its not about the U.S. or Israel, this is Russia's backyard and until they say you can go and fetch the ball, no one will be doing much apart from words. Similar to what N.Korea was doing to the U.S. If China and Russia do not give the green light, no one will be doing anything against N.Korea.

interesting perspective..so we might consider Russia back on top

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Look we can't tell who to attack who and when to attack but anyway WE MUST TELL THE PUBLIC that poor Michael Jackson is dead..

To keep their hands clean in any event whatever happens between Iran and Isreal and ANY OTHER country ( *cough NK*) we cannot help but say " please do not attack, Until MJ is buried and the public distracted long enough for another false flag event to occur. Erm did I say false flag? I meant to say terrorist action"...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What a couple of jokers. Bush kept his VP underground. Maybe Obama will do the same with Biden soon. It seems everytime Biden pops his head out he does something stupid or states something completely opposite of what Obama has previously said.

I don't think it is a case of covering all bases. Biden just speaks his mind without stopping to think if it jives with Obama's "official" views.

You can't beat Biden's recent comment that the Obama administration underestimated the severity of the economic downturn. The MSM didn't even blink an eye. They are too busy covering the dead pedophile's life and upcoming memorial service.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
President Obama's statement regarding Iran is just political damage control. We all know the Vice President's mouth is a loose cannon. If I were the cabinet I would tell VP Biden to keep his mouth shut!!! All this back tracking has got to be wearing Obama out. However, I think when the doors are closed the power brokers policy regarding Israel and Iran is there is no policy. Israel can do to Iran as they wish to protect themselves.

Anyway, the United States has never been able to stop Israel from protecting it's strategic interests. Case in point, the Israelis bombing of Saddam Hussein's Osirak Power Plant in 1981. This attack surprised the hell out of then President Regan and his cabinet. So as a student of history, if Israel feels their back is against the wall, their policy is strike first ask question later.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
yeah... they didn't give Israel the green light... but they did.

they say they didn't... but they said they did.

Say one thing... do another. I see a trend here with our friend Mr. Obama

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Exactly.

But, im certain Iran as well as the rest of us see the reality behind the double talk.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
B.S ..........Biden knows exactly what hes doing and so does Obama.

You keep people distracted, you keep them moving , one side to the other but you always keep them moving, to keep them from seeing whats really going on.

Its all a show IMHO. Biden knows whats up and Obama knows whats up, throw in a lil Pelosi now and then and you have a great magic show. As long as youre watching one hand your not watching the other.

The problem is trying to find out where the rabbit went and whats really in the hat.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X2

You're totally right, dude, Obama is the only President ever to carefully word his foreign policy statements with doublespeak. Up until now, every President has been a by God rootin' tootin' cowboy who said what he meant and meant what he said.

Everyone, even Cowboy Ronnie Reagan, has played diplomacy this way.

Also, nobody can tell Israel what to do. We kiss their ass as much as we possibly can, but if Israel decides to massacre some Palestinians, that's what they're going to do. And if they decide to bomb the hell out of Iran, that's what they will do, with or without our blessing. Punk rock, dude. Deal with it.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This should not be analyzed from a U.S. perspective but should instead be analyzed from an Iranian perspective. It doesn't matter how we perceive it but it matters greatly how they do. Iran knows the U.S. controls Israel you can be sure of that. You can also be sure that Iran will view Obama's remarks in light of Biden's remarks to be lies. Iran's view of the U.S. has only, at times, been less evil never good.

I don't know if Obama's/Biden's remarks were calculated or not but what they have done is increase the already horrendous distrust of the U.S. that the Iranian leadership has for us. It doesn't matter if we think it was damage control on Obama's part or not, the Iranians WILL think that... and they're not going to buy it.

If anyone wants background on the Iranian issue or a look at the Obama Administration's playbook for the Iranian "issue" you can find it here: Brookings Institution document on Iran - the next false flag outlined in policy recommendations

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
President Obama's statement regarding Iran is just political damage control. We all know the Vice President's mouth is a loose cannon. If I were the cabinet I would tell VP Biden to keep his mouth shut!!! All this back tracking has got to be wearing Obama out. However, I think when the doors are closed the power brokers policy regarding Israel and Iran is there is no policy. Israel can do to Iran as they wish to protect themselves.

Anyway, the United States has never been able to stop Israel from protecting it's strategic interests. Case in point, the Israelis bombing of Saddam Hussein's Osirak Power Plant in 1981. This attack surprised the hell out of then President Regan and his cabinet. So as a student of history, if Israel feels their back is against the wall, their policy is strike first ask question later.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Jakes51]

In the case of Iran -- we can all say goodbye to "Israel" (they never belonged there anyway, lest have the right to threaten indigenous nations in the region). I believe Israel isn't stupid enough to attack, actually -- WITH or without the US an attack on Iran will result to the end of Israel. Obama is a rational president, it appears that he's actually standing up to 'Israel' -- so if they act without him, like I said goodbye. They're damned if they do, and damned if they do. Like I said, they brought this mess upon them by trying to pull off plain ole' imperialism in the 21st century. EVEN with their infiltration in the government of the most powerful country in the world (America), they cannot win.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ElloAll

Sorry, not going to buy into anything that comes from someone who seems to have some pretty blatant antisemitism.

Israel has the right to make sure they are safe. They dont go willynilly attacking those who do not attack them first.

Buy into the game all you want about Israel being the devil, but when other areas of the world refuse to recognize you as sovereign just because you are "jewish" and lob rockets and suicide bombers across your border, and publicly threaten your country, well........i guess sometimes you just gotta do what it takes , and SCREW looking like the bad guy.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I agree with you completely about Israel's sovereignty. Israel has the right to defend itself and to conduct its own internal affairs. It also has the right to get its ass kicked. Hard. From all sides. If it comes to that, I think we would do well to remember their sovereignty and reserve our judgment until the situation begins to cohere.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
mms://217.218.67.244/presstv/20090707/OUTPUT_08-25-00-FTP-JIHAN-WASHINGTON.wmv

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join