It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: U.S. not giving Israel green light to attack Iran

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoLoeb

I agree, I think Isreal has to do what it has to do, if that means striking and striking hard, then so be it. If it turns up that they get hurt , well what happens happens. Things dont always turn out like we want.

I know one thing, if my family is being threatened by my neighbors of being destroyed , and they are throwing pip bombs in my back yard at any chance, and the "police" cant seem to do anything about it, Im taking em out.

Id rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Israel has the right to make sure they are safe. They dont go willynilly attacking those who do not attack them first.

Hmm, and if i believe you are preparing to buy a baseball bat tomorrow (you claim you want to play baseball, but i know it better: you want to hit me), do i have the right to preemptively defend myself and assasinate you today ?

Do you now understand the severe mental illness afflicting israel ?

[edit on 7-7-2009 by ergoli]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ergoli

Same could be said about Iran and Hamas now couldnt it?

I dont think that needs anymore of a reply then that. Especially with the history of both of these factions

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
This should not be analyzed from a U.S. perspective but should instead be analyzed from an Iranian perspective. It doesn't matter how we perceive it but it matters greatly how they do. Iran knows the U.S. controls Israel you can be sure of that. You can also be sure that Iran will view Obama's remarks in light of Biden's remarks to be lies. Iran's view of the U.S. has only, at times, been less evil never good.

I don't know if Obama's/Biden's remarks were calculated or not but what they have done is increase the already horrendous distrust of the U.S. that the Iranian leadership has for us. It doesn't matter if we think it was damage control on Obama's part or not, the Iranians WILL think that... and they're not going to buy it.

If anyone wants background on the Iranian issue or a look at the Obama Administration's playbook for the Iranian "issue" you can find it here: Brookings Institution document on Iran - the next false flag outlined in policy recommendations

The US does NOT control Israel. Israel controls the US. The bankers control the fed. US gives Israel $5b a year in aid... that was in 2008 could be more now, i heard they wanted to up it to $25b.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

Covering all the bases. We think they "should" try to avoid conflict, buuuut.....we can't tell them not to attack. This way, when they do attack, our hands are clean.

No it's reality. We can forcefully make our feelings known to Israel and can make clear the consequences should they decide to take action contrary to our wishes, but, ultimately, as a sovereign nation, Israel has the right to decide for themselves what action is in the best interests of national security.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Did know pick up that Obama named Georgia as Russia then corrected himself.

Ladies and Gentleman, make room for the big boys since there playing poker and the stakes are country's.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Did i just see someone refer to irans warlike "history"?? They havent attacked or threatened anyone in 300 years! They defended themselves from attack by iraq that was instigated by the US. Other than that, not a single war in our lifetimes. This despite the fact that other countries (US) force coups and install dictators in their country. They have never once said they intend to attack israel.

Israel on the other hand, has been stating regularly for the last 2 years that if the US doesnt attack iran, it will. Further, they have even stooped to threatening nuclear first strike. This is the most belligerent threat you can make in this age. That does not sound defensive to me.

Your analogy is flawed. Its not seeing a neighbor buying a bat and fearing he'll use it against you. A better analogy bt israel and iran would be that you (being israel) own a tank, a rocket launcher, and a sam or two, and your neighbor decides to buy a pistol.

The analogy used to illustrate israel vs. palestine is flawed too.... a neighbor who regularly throws pipe bombs into your yard? A better analogy is a neighbor who throws pebbles against your stone wall....with one eye closed. If you guys are going to make illustrative analogies, at least make them proportionally realistic, and not total hyperbole.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by ergoli

Same could be said about Iran and Hamas now couldnt it?

I dont think that needs anymore of a reply then that. Especially with the history of both of these factions

Defending a homeland is sane and natural. Terrorizing and Expelling natives in order to rob their arable land is not the same thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

I think your analogy is beyond weak. I hardly equate suicide bombings with throwing pebbles. Nor do I equate pebbles to rockets.

I wish those damn jews would just stop defending themselves to make some of those here happy.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
My analogy is spot on in scale. Most of the "rocket attacks" people complain of the palestinians using are homemade lumps of metal with fertilizer for fuel. More like a rock with a propulsion system, and no guidance of any sort. Compared to the phosphorous, the missiles and bombs, etc of israel, they are indeed "pebbles".

See the point of an analogy is to maintain relativity. If israels 200 nukes, and worlds 5th largest army is, in my analogy, represented by a tank, a bomb, and some SAMS, then the palestinian equivalent is represented by pebbles. See how that works?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by ElloAll

Sorry, not going to buy into anything that comes from someone who seems to have some pretty blatant antisemitism.

Israel has the right to make sure they are safe. They dont go willynilly attacking those who do not attack them first.

Ooooh. The 'antisemitism' card. Nice one.

I read and re-read his post, he didn't mention Jews or Zionists or anything like that. Just Israel, and their ridiculously aggressive approach to middle-east politics.

Yeah, he's definitely an anti-semite.

I disagree with Barack Obama's healthcare plan = 'You're a racist!'

I think Sarah Palin is undereducated and not prepared to be national leader = 'You're a sexist!'

I think Israel is wantonly disturbing peace in the Middle East for its' own gain = 'You're an anti-semite!'

I'm starting to notice a pattern here...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421

See the point of an analogy is to maintain relativity. If israels 200 nukes, and worlds 5th largest army is, in my analogy, represented by a tank, a bomb, and some SAMS, then the palestinian equivalent is represented by pebbles. See how that works?

It doesn't work. It's that simple. What Israel possess in terms of weapons is irrelevant. Their capabilities do not preclude them from responding to an attack from a lesser enemy.

And why do you not address suicide bombings? Are they "pebbles," also? They are violent attacks and must be answered in kind...

Relativity has no place in war. It might behoove the Palestinian people to demand their leadership and supposed defenders stop the violence against Israel....the Palestinian people do not benefit by such acts which, while claimed to be done in their best interests, are clearly not.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ergoli

Hmm, and if i believe you are preparing to buy a baseball bat tomorrow (you claim you want to play baseball, but i know it better: you want to hit me), do i have the right to preemptively defend myself and assasinate you today ?

[edit on 7-7-2009 by ergoli]

No. However, if the neighbor comes into my yard with that bat and takes a swing at one of my children, I will respond and it won't be a measured one. My retaliation would most assuredly prevent him from ever wanting to take a swing at an member of my family ever again.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
this is not war, its conversation. Further, the israeli's arent responding to "attacks", they are responding to their desire to control all the arable land and resources that once belonged to the palestinian peoples. The reason i didnt address suicide bombs etc, has to do with the same as the rockets....relativism. I can look it up and see that while a few perpetrators have acted out and killed....what, 50 israelis(not that im condoning it)? the israeli's invade palestinian neighborhoods and massacre thousands of palestinians, mostly women and children. Proportional response is a virtue that almost all nations are held to by international concensus, so its appropriate to criticize the israelis for going on massacring rampages whenever a soldier is kidnapped, especially in light of the fact that the jews are constantly kidnapping and murdering palestinians. Further, i would add that its frivolous to state the jews are retaliating defensively to protect themselves in this way. The way i see it, the embargos and restriction of food, water, medicine, and power that the jews have over palestine is responsible daily for deaths there due to malnutrition, starvation, and sickness, so this is murder committed DAILY, and yet the palestinians are to be criticized if they fight back against this constant assault?

And please dont pull out the old "anti semite" line because palestinians are all semites, however a large percentage of jews are actually eastern europeans.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I would also point out that several times the palestinians have taken the nonviolent approach...and have seen by their efforts that israel continues to maintain sanctions and embargos against them, and continue to let them die of starvation and disease. Nonviolence is not always effective, its just what western governments want all their enemies to think is right. Just as in when the FARC laid down their weapons to comply with US demands, and took positions in office and government in order to try to make change within the columbian government. Over the next five years over 5000 ex farc government officials were assassinated by right wing groups with american training and weapons. This shows many what happens when groups give up all ability to use any force to defend themselves, and has been demonstrated many times in palestine as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421

And please dont pull out the old "anti semite" line because palestinians are all semites, however a large percentage of jews are actually eastern europeans.

I read this frequently here and that is technically true, however, as you well know, the term, "anti-semitic," has come to mean, "anti-jewish,"

It's an acceptable use of the term.

That said, I don't recall using the term with regard to you. Can you point out where I did so?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
No, no, you didnt. I was exercising my "pre-emptive strike" option!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Biden is sober when he talks in public right? I mean DAMN. Just imagine what he says after he has a couple of drinks in him. Every time I see him on TV I wonder what "state secrets" he is going to let out of the bag. CRAP...keep your mouth shut you big dummy!

Obama should assign one of his "Czar's" to keep Biden from giving Bin Laden a call to discuss where we are weakest......Freakin idiot.

Obama is showing a weak hand in dealing with NK and IRAN which is sending the wrong signals to the "nuts" in charge of each country. Israel will do what it needs to do with Iran no matter what Obama says anyway. I think that Israel is seeing what NK and Iran see.....a weak President who does not support our mission in the Middle East at all and is having a financial crisis at home with no end in sight.

You voted for change......you got your change....how about ANOTHER GIANT BAILOUT AMERICA!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Sense says...

Obama is showing a weak hand in dealing with NK and IRAN which is sending the wrong signals to the "nuts" in charge of each country.

What would you suggest Obama do? What steps would you take against NK and Iran that he has not?

What signals is this sending to NK and Iran??

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Anyone who believes these are "slips" by Biden just isn't watching closely enough.

He makes a "slip" then Obama gets to (not has to) defend it.

It's all a big game and we are in the stands, cheering or booing depending on which uniform you pull for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join