It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode
reply to post by nenothtu

I think the nerve that was hit was when you Americano's saw a headline that seemed to justify you having guns.

Americanos? Are you SURE your in Britain? You sound more Mexican. No, scratch that. Mexicans call us "Norte Americanos", as they are Americans as well, just not US nationals.

'England more violent then the USA? Told you so, get some guns, guns are good'. Twaddle. Then to have your fun crushed as the article in question turns out to be rubbish.

See my post above. I think that report was rubbish too, for obvious reasons expounded upon there.

Come on, how many times last year and this year have we heard about mass shootings in America?

You tell me. I have no idea what you "hear".

How many go unreported?

Depend on if your talking "mass shootings" or simple single shootings. Mass Shootings tend to grab headlines, simple shooting tend to lead only to shallow graves.

And we are not talking about adults shooting each other here are we, no, we are talking children shooting children to.

Would you like some ice with that kool-aid?

And i think your find it’s possible to toot a gun as well as tote.

Well, YOU initiated THAT conversation! It appears I DID strike a nerve!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kode

You are comfotrable with only your police and other government agencies having weapons?

That is very trusting.

As we see from the historical record, tyrants usually ban lethal weapons prior to killing off large portions of their populations, even if it takes 50 years.

The game is very old...

It was January 13, 532 AD when the anger of Justinian’s subjects reached a fevered pitch in what is known as the Nika riots. When it was all over Justinian was still in power but some 30,000 who had opposed him were dead; leaving Justinian free to enforce his brand of law.
Among Justinian’s laws, is Title XIV, Concerning Arms, Eighty-Fifth New Constitution (P.313) in which we find the following:
Chapter I
“Therefore, desiring to prevent men from killing each other, We have thought it proper to decree that no private person shall engage in the manufacture of weapons, and that only those shall be authorized to do so who are employed in the public arsenals, or are called armorers; and also that manufacturers of arms should not sell them to any private individual…”
Chapter III
“Therefore, God directing Our thoughts, We decree by the present law that no private individual, or anyone else whosoever shall, in any province or city of Our Empire, have the right to make or sell arms, or deal in them in any way, but only such as are authorized to manufacture them can do so, and deposit them in Our armory…”
Chapter IV
“But in order that what has been forbidden by Us to private persons and all others may become clear, We have taken pains to enumerate in this law the different kinds of weapons whose manufacture is forbidden. Therefore We prohibit private individuals from either making or buying bows, arrows, double-edged swords, ordinary swords, weapons usually called hunting knives, those styled zabes, breast-plates, javelins, lances and spears of every shape whatever, arms called by the Isaurians monocopia, others called sitinnes, or missiles, shields, and helmets; for We do not permit anything of this kind to be manufactured, except by those who are appointed for that purpose in Our arsenals, and only small knives which no one uses in fighting shall be allowed to be made and sold by private persons…”

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
reply to post by fapython

Mate, could you please provide links to the stats you posted?
As far as I'm aware, your figures make a lot more sense than that comic the Daily Mulch.

Hey mate! Glad to see you here! Maybe you can be a worthy opponent in this rousing match of wits!

I wouldn't question fapthyon's stats. He seems to have all his duck in a row. At first, I was ready to jump all over it because of his use of "rate" then providing raw numbers instead, but he cleared that up nicely, to my great pleasure. Well played, fapthyon!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fapython

Ah, I see you did put links in your next post.
Star!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Would somebody kindly u2u me when this/if this thread drags itself back to the op.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Wow, I would have thought for sure the US had the UK beat by a mile in regards to violent crimes. I would have to see what the poll considers a violent crime. Must be all those drunk football fans. Just kidding, the UK's fans aren't any worse than other countries.

No, they really are, we just banned the hardcore ones from travelling abroad!

As the popular football song goes "we're a right bunch of bastards when we lose"

The Polish and the Russians are the leaders in hooliganism at the moment.

The italians love to stab any English fan they can find, and nothing ever happens to them because all the clubs are owned by the hooligans.

But then football violence is a whole other subject....

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kode

And i think your find it’s possible to toot a gun as well as tote.
Please dont take this as an attack, because I'm in part agreement with you, but how does one "toot" a gun?
I was thinking maybe like that bit in Platoon where Sheen gets a hit of ganj down the barrel? Or maybe put a reed of some kind in there to blow on? Maybe just gaffer tape a few together & play them like panpipes?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kode

Delusional, and now disrespectful. Got any other words to describe me that don't begin with the letter "D?"

You boys keep up the stiff upper lip and all that.

We'll chew, spit, roll down the windows of our pickups, and keep our weapons clean, and loaded.

If what you have is "civilization," I want no part of it.

You are like our horses. You have a bit in your mouth, and you WILL go where your rider indicates.

Sad.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Nah I live in britian, I would say it mostly comes from knife crime, and RANDOM groups beating up random people walking by for no reason at all, also gang wars, where they beat up and stab each other.

And probably most of all thugs who rob you at knife point or group upper hand.

It's not just drunken crime, there is a lot of this other crime, I've seen some it myself.

Hmm, sounds like it is the urban areas and a lot of youth violence, would that be correct? I never encountered anything like that in my travels around London, certainly not in the countryside. Heck even in Glasgow I didn't notice anything, this is coming from someone who lived in the City of Detroit for 24 years, I keep my eyes open for trouble.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

It's not happening 24/7, you'd have to live in the areas to really notice, or be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

I must have met some good Brit and Irish groups on the way to the World Cup when I was traveling in Europe, we had a blast on the train getting drunk!! Everybody was very cool! Though I did see some idiot German guys later in my trip.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

That's like anywhere here in the U.S. Don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would still like to see what the survey considered a "violent" crime.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Why do I always see this USA vs UK thing haha.

I've never had that problem, the us vs them state of mind, I see people as individuals.
I still don't get the UK people who don't like the french, I love the french people haha,

There is something "strange" about humans, their "need" to be prejudice just because someone is different, their need to stereotype so they can "feel" better about themselves or their country.

The strange part is, they "easily" accept a cat or dog something so different into their lives, but they cannot accept a human simply because the human is slightly different, wether it be race, religion or even where they live.

Humans are full of fear and ignorance, that they feel it's better to seperate ourselves from another, instead of becoming closer and try to learn about each other and see that we are all basically the same.

We all want the world to be a better place, but we all prefer to point fingers at others, instead of looking in the mirror and make that change ourselves.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Nah I live in britian, I would say it mostly comes from knife crime, and RANDOM groups beating up random people walking by for no reason at all, also gang wars, where they beat up and stab each other.

And probably most of all thugs who rob you at knife point or group upper hand.

It's not just drunken crime, there is a lot of this other crime, I've seen some it myself.

Hmm, sounds like it is the urban areas and a lot of youth violence, would that be correct? I never encountered anything like that in my travels around London, certainly not in the countryside. Heck even in Glasgow I didn't notice anything, this is coming from someone who lived in the City of Detroit for 24 years, I keep my eyes open for trouble.

Sorry, Pavil, but I'd imagine that if you're from Detroit, Britain doesn't have anything even approaching what you'd view as violent behavior, even on their worst day.

In other words, what the folks in this thread view with abject terror probably wouldn't phase you in the least. They appear to think a slap-fest is deadly combat.

Which is why I think that article was bunk, and they wouldn't know real violence if it ate them. Strangely, that makes me quite happy for the Brits.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Americans don't post this type of thing because we want to gloat over the social decay that has so plainly beset the UK, we post it because we use it to try and educate liberals about where their policies will ultimately lead here in the US.

In social terms the UK is nothing more than a diseased limb that is badly overdue for amputation.

I'm really sorry about what has happened to your country, but you're beyond serving any useful purpose beyond being a warning to others.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Well I don't know, if you consider school kids stabbing each other, gangster wannabes everywhere starting trouble, people violently beating the crap out of people just for their phones, groups of kids beating someone to death for no reason except for fun. 11 year old girls, 12 year old boys joining in on beating the crap out of someone for "fun", if you consider that not violent, well ok.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Hate to break up this Great Dick waving/sizing Contest. But did you guys know that the global elite are storing non hybrid seeds in the arctic circle?

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Bringer]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Ah nenothtu, we meet again... Lol! I got sick of that last thread: the disrespect of some. Whatever. I expect I'll check it sometime. Here, I'm not questioning fapthyon's figures. I said they make sense to me; just good to have links so we can judge the bias of the source, as we rightly dismiss the Daily Mulch as the organ (& I use the word advisedly) of the Tory party.
I'll get onto UK violence shortly, but gun ownership... It's a self-fulfilling thing. You need them because the criminals have them. Where did they get them? They either bought them legally before they were criminals, bought them illegally or stole them. If people didn't have them, neither would criminals.
I wonder how many people have experienced similar attempted burglaries? I'll bet most responsible gun owners keep them shut away, especially if they have kids. So they dont have the thing handy when they might need it anyway. Without your dogs to keep the burglars occupied, they might easily have caught you sitting on ATS, or running for your shootin iron.
But what if you weren't in? That'd be another illegal gun in circulation...
I can respect the idea that an armed populace is in a position to overthrow tyranny. It sounds logical. But you know, I wonder. No populace revolts until they are jointly & severally so p!ssed off that they've got little to lose, @which point weight of numbers seems to have been the deciding factor, with military often standing down or joining the revolution.
Is it possible that owning guns so divides a people, each in fear of folks from other neighbourhoods that they dont trust each other to stand together if TSHTF? Might this not actually cause people to put up with more sh!t before doing something about it?
What would an armed revolt do anyway, but simply replace one armed tyranny with another? That seems to have been the model so far...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

reply to post by dooper

Why do I always see this USA vs UK thing haha.

I've never had that problem, the us vs them state of mind, I see people as individuals.
I still don't get the UK people who don't like the french, I love the french people haha,

There is something "strange" about humans, their "need" to be prejudice just because someone is different, their need to stereotype so they can "feel" better about themselves or their country.

The strange part is, they "easily" accept a cat or dog something so different into their lives, but they cannot accept a human simply because the human is slightly different, wether it be race, religion or even where they live.

Humans are full of fear and ignorance, that they feel it's better to seperate ourselves from another, instead of becoming closer and try to learn about each other and see that we are all basically the same.

We all want the world to be a better place, but we all prefer to point fingers at others, instead of looking in the mirror and make that change ourselves.

Peace.

Well, I can't really disagree with you much. Over time, I've fought beside Brits, Aussies, and several other nationalities, and never, ever had a problem with them. Sure, the Aussies were... flamboyant, for lack of a better word, and the Brits were... restrained. I found that to be admirable under pressure. Even tried to emulate it now and again. I don't have problems with Brits in general, and you are correct, we all do strive for a better world.

Fast forward a few years, and I find myself under attack by other Brits, simply for being who I am. People who would insinuate that I'm a coward, because I don't happen to subscribe to their notions. Chadwick, Russell, and some of the other British gentlemen I've worked with probably wouldn't share that opinion of me, and in some cases have no opinions on ANYTHING anymore, for the dead know nothing. So I hope it doesn't come as a surprise to you when I attempt to rise to my own defense.

No, I don't class all Englishmen together. These few who have found their way here seem to me to be a breed apart from the men I've known, and in most cases are not fit to shine the their boots. Yet they presume to denigrate me and mine, solely based on our point of origin, and not much more.

Yes, we all want the world to be a better place, but from my observations, I fear that the definition of "better place" is changing, and not necessarily for the better.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Waste of time. People who think laws will control violent people are living in a fantasy land to begin with. After decades of attempts at rehabilitation we should realize the only thing that controls violent people is locking them up.

Take away guns, they pick up a knife.

Take away knives they pick up a tire iron.

There is no sense to this nonsense. Weapons only become weapons when in a criminals hands and no matter what you do you can not control them by outlawing weapons. Everything from a baseball bat to a rope can kill or injure.

Gun control comes from a phobia of sorts and the intellectual dishonesty to believe that criminals are actually good inside and that an inanimate object is to blame. There is no critical thinking involved, only nonsense from people who get off on controlling others and bleeding hearts who don't want to admit that criminals are bad people.

Be satisfied that here in the US most people on the Left or Right are against gun control. The occasional fool in the government who thinks criminals are just picked on and that guns are to blame know they can't be elected again if they outlaw guns. That ship won't float here. In Europe the brainwashing has had far longer to take effect.

Those who think clearly know it is just another way to control us by the government being the only ones to have weapons. They are scared of us is why they want to control guns. They are scared of us because they know they are doing bad things and we can't be controlled unless they can brainwash us into blaming other things like inanimate devices.

It is already illegal for a criminal to possess a gun. How many laws do you have to pass before they realize the problem is the bad people, not the method or device used. Total nonsense by nonthinking people who are simply parroting what the government wants them to say and believe. The naive are far more dangerous than any gun.

[edit on 7/4/2009 by Blaine91555]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join