It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New life form in sewers?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I actually got confirmation at 6am this morning that this is not a hoax... It was on our news here in NC... I saw it here first, I emailed one of the anchors on our local news, next thing you know... there it is...

Speculation on YouTube as to what it might be ranges from a marketing ploy to promote a new alien movie to undocumented life form to a sewer monster.But a sewer monster, it is not.The city of Raleigh says the video – of a 6-inch sanitary sewer line – was taken in April during an inspection of a privately maintained sewer line in Cameron Village.Ed Buchan, an environmental coordinator with the city's Public Utilities Department, says the mass is believed to be tubifex worms, which form clusters or colonies of about a half-inch to 1-inch in diameter.Thomas Kwak, a biology professor at North Carolina State University's Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, however, says the so-called monster is actually a cluster of invertebrates called bryozoan, which are commonly found in both the sea and fresh water environments.

Local Story on Sewer Blob

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haiku
I actually got confirmation at 6am this morning that this is not a hoax... It was on our news here in NC... I saw it here first, I emailed one of the anchors on our local news, next thing you know... there it is...

Speculation on YouTube as to what it might be ranges from a marketing ploy to promote a new alien movie to undocumented life form to a sewer monster.But a sewer monster, it is not.The city of Raleigh says the video – of a 6-inch sanitary sewer line – was taken in April during an inspection of a privately maintained sewer line in Cameron Village.Ed Buchan, an environmental coordinator with the city's Public Utilities Department, says the mass is believed to be tubifex worms, which form clusters or colonies of about a half-inch to 1-inch in diameter.Thomas Kwak, a biology professor at North Carolina State University's Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, however, says the so-called monster is actually a cluster of invertebrates called bryozoan, which are commonly found in both the sea and fresh water environments.

Local Story on Sewer Blob

Yeah this has been popping up on a lot of news channels lately. It's a You tube hit. I wonder if Hollywood will use any of this in the next Aliens movie?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
anybody seen the latest MSN news coverage. god knows there not the most reliable but they had this to say

" It is, instead, a colony of prehistoric creatures called bryozoans — thousands of worms — that eat using a set of brown tentacles, the Charlotte Observer reports.

The harmless worms, moving around 10cm a day, normally live near ponds although environmental inspector Ed Buchan said the phenomenon was rare to see.

The blob was captured on film by a maintenance company doing a routine inspection on the sanitary sewer, which is located beneath one of America's oldest shopping centres.

A two-minute video showing the worms throbbing and contracting when shone with light made it to YouTube, sparking conspiracy theories about aliens and extraterrestrial life.

News outlets also went monster-crazy with headlines like: "Sewer monster is this summer's Susan Boyle" and "Mystery life form ... looks like heart meat!"

A spokeswoman from Malphrus Construction, the firm that shot the video, said the blob was the size of a golf ball and appeared much larger on video.

Authorities will not remove the blob as it is not clogging the pipes. "

so there your have it

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

YES, live and let live, I say - the human race is totally disgusting.

These creatures can live in the sewers and good luck to them. Who are we to judge them?

I would say, don't find them scary and repulsive, rather, look at your fellow human being for that.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Can the religous folk tell me why god made that!!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

This has been posted several times, others scientists have claimed that they are tubifex, both haven't been verified with other pictures or videos, the ones posted don't resemble the critters in the sewer.

This thing still remains a mystery.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
thats the organism causing morgellons disease.
when left alone long enough to grow and whatnot.
the what worms coming off it are the same thing as the white strands coming off morgellons patients, just a lil bit bigger.
I have heard that morgellons is caused by a fungus seeping into water lines from the soil then into your bathing water, but I could be wrong.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
s235.photobucket.com...¤t=Tubifex8.flv

OK PROOF????
You decide.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by ahamarlin]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hope you can find the video, something went wrong with photobucket.
its the video wth the brown blob on the white plate.
Can anybody put the video here on a better way, my comp skills sucks.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I know this has been posted in this thread before, but the one found in Denver looks just like it and was identified as a Bryozoan

www.kdvr.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

Well that was informative, and it really does look much more like the "creature". Can you poke it more? LOL

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
reply to post by ahamarlin

Well that was informative, and it really does look much more like the "creature". Can you poke it more? LOL

Yes, it deserves to be poked a little more.

Case closed, mystery solved!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine

Originally posted by ahamarlin

Originally posted by mortalengine

i235.photobucket.com...

OK here is a pic of how Tubifex is transported for the aquarium industrie and petshops etc.
Its transported DRY in a egg box . See how it sticks together: totally different then the videos on youtube where you see the wurms moving UNDER WATER.

Now, if you poke your fingers into this mass of wurms you will see them contract like one organisme, just like on the sewar video.

For the sake of sanity... after all your ranting about aquariums and tubifex worms this is the picture you post as proof for your opinion ? Forgive us while we continue to reject your view of tubifex worms as an explanation. I mean I dont feel like we're being unreasonable but that picture would be crapped on all over if it was used as proof in any other field. I know for a fact that no self respecting sceptic would accept that steamy pile of guano of a pic as proof of anything. Not being harsh but I've seen better bigfoot pictures than that :p

sorry but that fails.

Agree, its not a good pic. But he I am trying here! Believe it or not this pic is Tubifex worms on a egg box.

The sewar video is Tubifex. Scientist have said it, the sewar company said it, a aquarium dude like me said it.

One thing you are right, we will go to the bottom of this my friend.
You will see I am right.

hehe... perhaps but I seriously doubt that. You are, unfortunately, overlooking far to many details. You are seeing what you know, instead of looking with clean eyes, it's the problem with "experts" and people who work in fields closely relating to said mystery. Perhaps you need to watch the movie a few more times, as I'm sure you've only watched it a few times because your brain has already played match games for you and you already believe you know what it is. Look again, this time without the picture of tubifex worms in your head.

yeah, dOit

[edit on 7/2/09 by mortalengine]

So have you seen the new video I made? You can find it a few posts back. I have looked again at the old one like you suggested, You know, the one you said I had to look at with clean eyes.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Could be just another hoax. Or a viral type of deal buttering up people for an upcoming movie. Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
from the pics ive seen of the tubifex, it looks similar to this, but this seems much more unified and more of a single solid mass then the proven tubifex pictures

this truly seems to move and act as one single mass

what intrigues me is how come there hasnt been a actual study of the exact "worms" from the area in questions

i mean something that has gained this much attention is well worth a simple confirmation of someone going out there and grabbing a sample

but so far no one has, makes you wonder

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

s235.photobucket.com...

OK PROOF????
You decide.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by ahamarlin]

Wonderful experiment and illustration! You may just have changed my opinion. I still got a lot of questions regarding the comparison between the tubifex worms and the 'blobs" on the video, but at least now I'm more willing to accept the tubifex explanation.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video!

(PS you can also upload the video to ATS media. Should solve the linking problem.)

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

What do they eat?

Well, it did say that they were found in the sewer.....so the answer would be....

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey
from the pics ive seen of the tubifex, it looks similar to this, but this seems much more unified and more of a single solid mass then the proven tubifex pictures

what intrigues me is how come there hasnt been a actual study of the exact "worms" from the area in questions

i mean something that has gained this much attention is well worth a simple confirmation of someone going out there and grabbing a sample

Horses and Zebras, Horses and Zebras!!!

Until a specimen is confirmed it is just supposition it is known, relating to the already familiar.

What has happened to scientific curiosity?

There is also another school still asserting Bryozoa.

I thought microbiologists were into making sure things are being catagorised properly because of the variances and differences to seemingly same species etc.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by DeltaPan]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey

Keep in mind that this thing is in a 6 inch clay pipe underground. How does one go about getting a sample and what is the cost involved in getting it analyzed?

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join