It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Jail Time for Revving Engine in a Racist Manner

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

No, I think I actually referred to it in my post.

I fail to see the similarity between being beating and spending to days in a cell waiting to see the court.

The justice system may not be great to you, but I fail to see how that is the fault of the policemen who arrested him and I personally see no problem with it. We don't live in a perfect world people, sometimes things that just arn't fair happen to us.

Lets bring it down to an easier to understand level for some of you. You are a school child and given a detention, now a card is given to you to give to your parents. (This is how it workes at many schools in England, sometimes with a phonecall instead/aswell) You have to collect this card from your teacher afterschool, but she is on the phone and you have to wait 15 minutes to receive the card for your 30 minutes detention.

Low and behold you will now have done in total 45 minutes of after school time, because you had to wait until the person you needed to see was available. Now we ramp it up to adults and two days in a cell.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by tezzajw
I guess you missed the part where a man spent nearly two days in a cell because he swore at police.

In the USA, you can be arrested and fined for crossing the street in the "wrong place" (jaywalking)

Talk about thought police! I can make my own mind up where I cross the road thanks - is that facism in action or what????

Seriously. We do things different to you here.

The UK isn't the USA, as can be seen above...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

I find it rather scary that you want to compare someone losing their freedom for two days to getting a school detention...

How can people be so complacent to not recognise that locking someone up should be a final option and not an initial solution?

Then try and justify it for SWEARING!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

We can justify it because it is what happens. Everyday across the UK people are arrested for swearing in a public place.

You may find me comparisson odd but it is no deifferent, in both cases someone has had to wait, to see someone, and neither of the people wanted to. But nobody complains in favour of the schoolchild.

I think it is showing that, as far as I can tell I may be wrong, the Brits in this thread don't seem phased by this, or actually defend it. And its pople who arn't British who condemn it. Does that not show that people who live under such a law actually find it beneficial? (Again, I may be wrong with that statement.)

Regardless of what you think, it happened, it has likely happened before and will likely happen again. And I don't see whats wrong with it, don't want to end up in a cell...don't go swearing at the police or in public then...it's very simple. This isn't some hidden law nobody knows about.

Maybe he will think twice before doing it again...in which case this was all a success.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I find it really ironic that swearing in public is an offence in the UK but at the same time allow Imam's in London preach hate speach and do nothing. Which Imam did the Sun run that article on that was not only preaching hate but on the public dole too?

I'll lay money down too that while it is illegal to swear at the cops there is no law restricting their language.

Fellow Americans, think of this case as small town Southern law enforcement. Once they had him in their 'sights' he was going to jail for something.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
That is not revving in a racist manner, that is called menacing behavior.
Second line.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Save your superficial judgements about me for a thread that is about me. This thread isn't about me. Poor form, whatukno.

I am just using an observation to show a tendency towards outbursts of hatred and misplaced bias. (not unlike the Muslim couple that seem to think everyone is out to get them for being Islamic). It's not poor form to make an observation about how someone is using their own personal hatred against the police to spur an argument.

Originally posted by whatukno
Even if you were a cop, your still human, and guess what humans have? Emotions, yes amazingly humans have emotions and don't react well to people telling them to F off.

Then they shouldn't be police. They should have been weeded out at the academy.

Ah yes because at the academy they remove emotion from the human brain and plant cop microchips in them turning each and every officer into robocop.

Sorry pal, it doesn't work that way, yes police are to have enough composure to keep calm when someone is swearing at them, and it looked as if that was the case here too. They arrested the man for breaching the peace. The article never says the man was beaten. Ill repeat again, breaching the peace is an arrestable offense, and this guy got nicked for it.

A cop's job means that they're going to be told all sorts of things, by all sorts of people. If they can't handle that without turning a molehill into a mountain, then they shouldn't be cops.

And police again are allowed to uphold the law. They are paid to enforce the law. Its actually not up to them what laws they enforce or not. While yes they do tend to let some things slide as its not a priority if someone gets in their face and starts breaching the peace (which this man was convicted for so it's safe to say he did it) then they can arrest him.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
ok, I know I will regret this....

BUt, what the heck is revving a cars motor in a racist fashion???

OMG, lets not rev our engines as it may offend some muslims.

Absolutely disgusting.

And people say the US is turning in to Nazi Germany, clearly, England has that all locked up.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by scoopyjon

I would like to see some sort of proof to your view btw, I live in Scotland and have always found that Scottish police are more fair and better police than the shoot first ask questions later englsih police that unfortunately share an island with us. As far as I am aware aswell the law in which the guy was originally lifted for is indeed set by the english parliament so how is Scotland namby pamby as you say?

If Scotland is what you say then why is it the englsih government don't want to let Scotland go its own way and not just because you are using our resources but because you are afraid that Scotland will go it alone and make another 'union' with other countries. PRIME EXAMPLE, westminster told Alex Salmond of the Scottish Government that he could not go to Norway to talk about green energy and selling it to Europe for a fee aswell as powering most of Scotland reducing carbon emission to nothing!! no nuclear power no coal or petrochemical, why would they do this if they aren't afraid we will split.

I will agree on one thing you said, we should split tho, nothing would make me happier.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
im going to step in here and be a voice of near reason

Fact is ... it is illegal to rev a car engine in a threatening manner towards anyone! go look it up, i cant even drive and i know that, the reason is that a car can kill someone very easily, and revving an engine at someone because you want past is classed as a threat of using the car as a weapon.. and i agree that its fair ...

if the guy was doing this at people because they looked (???WTF) muslin then he deserves what he got...

its one thing i hate in life its people trying to bully their way through life, and thats what this guy done.. all he needed to do was to wait for them to pass and carry on!

@Bigman

your dam right, scottish legal system is way more fair than the english...

i moved from scotland to england nearly 4 years ago now ... and learned how useless and abnoxious the english legal system is .. i can sum it up in one sentance...

In scotland, your innocent untill proven guilty, in england its reversed and you have to proove your innocence as you are treated as guilty.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It is going to be so sardonically hilarious when you in the UK start getting arrested for looking at someone in a "threatening" manner. What the f*** is that? The police should have never even been bothered. The muslim couple should just get over it. I saw the "benefits" of the english policing system in Leicester square once. An old man was minding his own business hobbling through with a cane. A mime began harassing him. The old man shook his cane at the mime and the police hauled the old man away with the crowd jeering the old man. I used to love to love England but you've all become a bunch of politically correct pussies. It probably won't be long before we would be arrested for offending a muslim because we are wearing our yamakahs on friday night. You don't have the guts to allow a free debate on anything that may "offend" anyone. Instead of debating the issue Geert Wilders was denied entry to the UK. The UK and all of europe is going down in the next 20-30 years at best.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I am a tad confused...

...since when has being muslim been a race issue?

I thought it was a religion.

Don't shoot me - seriously

And, if the guy's initial response to being questioned about his revving was 'f-off' rather than 'sorry, folks, I have engine problems' then it is not unreasonable to assume the guy was in an aggressive mood at that particular moment in time.

IMO I hate walking across traffic lights when the 'green man' is on and the car in front purposely revs to scare the living feck outta me - utter tosspots - and I'm delighted to see that one of them has been given a kick up the arse.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Well, that's one way of completely misreporting a story, well done America! Perhaps the OP should research his topic first before posting it and then follwoing up with inflammatory remarks about the UK, something he clearly knows nothing about.

Firstly, he wasn't convicted of any racism offence, but rather breach of the peace for telling the Police Officer to "F**k off" when they came to his house after the muslim couple made the complaint.

Secondly, he wasn't sent to jail for the offence, he ended up being kept in a cell for nearly two days before he went to court because he was arrested on the weekend.

Read the proper story here...

[edit on 27/6/09 by stumason]

And this makes it better?

Police come to my house complaining about heresay with no evidence (pertaining to such a minute issue as me revving my engine) they certainly will be told to F off. And if they take me to jail, my attorney is going to have a talk with them about my rights as a US citizen.

edit to add my story:

i had my driver license suspended once about 10 years ago. i got it fixed, but the state system didn't show the update. So when i was pulled over the officer tried to arrest me AGAIN (even though ihad a brand new license that arrived 2 days prior).

I explained that i was getting my kids from the bus stop. He called me a liar, saying i didn't have kids. The officer refused to go around the corner and verify that my son was standing there waiting on me. Meanwhile, my son was left standing on the street corner for 2 hours, wondering where his ride was.

I kicked a very bad dent in the back of his patrol car, and became extremely belligerent. When the guard was trying to "book me in", she got extremely rude. She would give me instructions on what to do, then call me stupid for not doing it "right" (i was already extremely pissed by this point). I then explained to her that there was no one around to save her if i decided i wanted to rip her head off of her body and throw it through a window.

I was immediately placed back in the holding cell.

I spent 2 days in jail waiting for a judge to arraign me. I bonded out at a cost of about 250 bucks. The charges were dropped 2 days later, the officer involved was relieved of duty, as was the jail guard. Because of this action, i did not pursue any further action against the city.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacific_waters
The UK and all of europe is going down in the next 20-30 years at best.

I think it's pretty obvious that the UK ceased to be the country it once was many years ago, today it's just some drunken parody of its former self.

The sad part is the extent to which the British population have been trampled into submission on every subject, even flying the Union flag is now regarded as racist.

They have been effectively controlled, and coerced into "socially acceptable" forms of group think.

In my opinion this isn't a "UK is not the US" issue in my opinion, we share too much of a common heritage for that to float.

I think that what we are seeing in this thread is how far population control can go when you have a compliant population that doesn't challenge the powers that be.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacific_waters
you've all become a bunch of politically correct pussies.

Wow.

What a generalising hater you are.

Let's follow your logic with another example:

Peter Sutcliffe is a murder. He is English.

All English people are murderers.

Brilliant.

[edit on 28/6/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
The sad part is the extent to which the British population have been trampled into submission on every subject, even flying the Union flag is now regarded as racist.

They have been effectively controlled, and coerced into "socially acceptable" forms of group think.

Effective control would be when a citizen places their country's flag up on the front porch and pledge allegiance to the country each day in school.

No brainwashing there then.

Sounds like North Korea TBH!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
Woah, hold on. So the police received a call from a member of public and, wait for it....they did their job and responded to this call by paying the man a visit.

At this point the man then swore at them, which is a breach of the public order act and an arrestable offence...and he was arrested.

He was then held in a cell for 2 days before he could go to court.

Well what has the world come to where the police are actually doing their job...

/sarcasm

Fair enough, complain when the police go over the top...but try to let up when they do their job okay
They didn't beat this man half to death for swearing at them, where is the huge probelm?

This is my point exactly...

If I ring the police and file a complaint, I expect the police to follow up on it. Unless of course I'm known for ringing the police and filing silly claims...

Most officers might even have assumed this was a silly call while they were following up on it... but they followed up in it, because that's what we pay them for...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

Effective control would be when a citizen places their country's flag up on the front porch and pledge allegiance to the country each day in school.

No brainwashing there then.

Sounds like North Korea TBH!!!

Exactly my point, only a Brit would regard patriotism as brainwashing.

By the way - our soldiers don't have to pledge their allegiance to some old lady with a crown before joining the military, and what were the words to your national anthem again, hmm?

Kim Jong Windsor.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz
All English people murderers.
Brilliant.

well, they were previously known mostly as thieves, but you all managed to ship a lot of those types, even the ever so dangerous bread stealers off to Australia.

I have to agree here, how about we let the punishment fit the crime? I mean, is it really that necessary to hold someone in the clink for a weekend because they responded the way they did to a trumped up charge? The residents seem ok with this kind of odious practice, but I guess when you're taught to submit from birth....

and yes, we as Americans can and will comment on your silly little legal system, its policies as well as any other foolish practices of your country. you see, its called freedom of speech, you're apparently not used to it, but so often we see people from other countries feeling ever so free to comment on our policies and way of doing things. freedoms such as this do not shield you from others expressing their opinions.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Exactly my point, only a Brit would regard patriotism as brainwashing.

Not just the Brits mate...anyone with their own brain in whatever corner of the globe.

what were the words to your national anthem again, hmm?

No idea. Im not brainwashed.

Kim Jong Windsor.

Please don't get me started on 'her'!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join