It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Jail Time for Revving Engine in a Racist Manner

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

UK: Jail Time for Revving Engine in a Racist Manner

www.thenewspaper.com

A motorist in Scotland, UK is fined $238 and sent to jail for two days for the crime of revving his Lotus Esprit in a racist manner.

Scottish motorist Ronnie Hutton, 49, was jailed for two days for the crime of "revving his car in a racist manner" last September. After waiting more than a year to try the case, the Stirling Sheriff court finally convicted Hutton last week of breach of the peace and fined him £150 (US $282).

An off duty officer, Chief Inspector Eoin Jenkins, said Hutton had revved the engine of his Lotus Esprit near two Muslims last year. After Hutton dismissed Jenkins
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I long since ceased trying to understand the insane functioning of the UK, but when you see that insanity take hold in their judicial system it has to be a wake up call for us in the US.

The UK may serve to give us all some amusement from time to time, but there's a serious message here, and that is that yes, a western nation really can become this disturbed in its thinking, political correctness can become a social disease, a modern form of the medieval witch hunt. It could happen to us, easily.

www.thenewspaper.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well, that's one way of completely misreporting a story, well done America! Perhaps the OP should research his topic first before posting it and then follwoing up with inflammatory remarks about the UK, something he clearly knows nothing about.

Firstly, he wasn't convicted of any racism offence, but rather breach of the peace for telling the Police Officer to "F**k off" when they came to his house after the muslim couple made the complaint.

Secondly, he wasn't sent to jail for the offence, he ended up being kept in a cell for nearly two days before he went to court because he was arrested on the weekend.

Read the proper story here...

[edit on 27/6/09 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Well, that's one way of completely misreporting a story, well done America! Perhaps the OP should research his topic first before posting it and then follwoing up with inflammatory remarks about the UK, something he clearly knows nothing about.

Firstly, he wasn't convicted of any racism offence, but rather breach of the peace for telling the Police Officer to "F**k off" when they came to his house after the muslim couple made the complaint.

Secondly, he wasn't sent to jail for the offence, he ended up being kept in a cell for nearly two days before he went to court because he was arrested on the weekend.

Read the proper story here...

Sorry, But you still think that is OK? Since when is cussing a crime? I don't see anything about resisting arrest. Just Wow.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by ohioriver]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The fact that they arrested him for revving his engine is enough to send this into the BS fascist bastids category.

Arresting a guy for "revving his engine in a racist manner" (even if the charges were later dropped) is an example of over-the-top PC cops out of friggin control.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Section 5 Public Order Act 1986:

5 Harassment, alarm or distress

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Link

You might think it acceptable to swear at people in public, but in the UK, it is an arrestable offence. usually you get a few warnings before being arrested, but if you continue then you will be nicked. Just because "in America" you can do something, doesn't mean you can anywhere else.

I can think of things I can do in the Uk that I would do a long time in jail for in the US.

Swings and roundabouts.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Disgraceful.

Stumason can you tell me the difference between spending time in jail and spending time in a cell? For two days he was deprived of his liberty...

This planet is F'd. Well and truly F'd. The worst part is that people permit it to be this way.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Where were the Muslims in proximity of his car? In front of him, crossing the street or off to the side?

Was the expletive he said also a racial slur upon questioning?

The article doesn't provide enough detail to really formulate an opinion.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well Scotland is a very leftwing namby pamby politicaly correct place really I do hope England and Scotland separate!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

He wasn't sent to jail for the offence, he was just held after his arrest pending a court appearence, where he duly complained to the JP about his incarceration. He was probably held, judging by the offence, due to him refusing the fine of £80 that usually accompanies a charge of Breach of the peace. Had he accepted the fine, then he would have been on his way.

The OP article is full of holes and is basically crap.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

He wasn't sent to jail for the offence, he was just held after his arrest pending a court appearence, where he duly complained to the JP about his incarceration. He was probably held, judging by the offence, due to him refusing the fine of £80 that usually accompanies a charge of Breach of the peace. Had he accepted the fine, then he would have been on his way.

The article says that he was released without charge and then new charges were brought after he complained.

Following the row last September, police officers arrived at Ronnie's home and asked him to come with them to talk about the incident. He ended up being kept in a cell for two nights before being taken to court where he was released without charge.

He complained to the fiscal and the new charges surfaced months later. He said: "The police kept me in custody over the weekend because I made the mistake of swearing at a senior officer."

Link

If he hadn't complained I suspect nothing would have happened.

To be honest, if someone came up to me and said I was revving my engine in a racist way I'd probably tell them to take a hike, too.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

He wasn't sent to jail for the offence, he was just held after his arrest pending a court appearence,

Again, stumason... he was held, against his will. Please explain to me what the difference is between sent to jail and being held after his arrest?

Maybe you don't see it, but other people in this thread do. When someone loses their freedom and liberty over such a piss-ant 'offence', that's indicative of a corrupt legal system and a world gone mad.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Well, stone me! You mean in America when you're arrested, you don't go get held against your will? Whodathunkit....

I explained how it was. He was held under a public order offence. You get a choice, pay a fine or go to court. As there is no court on a weekend, then you can be held until such a date in Police custody. It really is quite simple.

EDIT: Seems alot of people here have "opinions" about something they know fudge all about. It might surprise you, but the UK is NOT the USA. We are allowed to do things differently. Add into the equation this is Scotland, which operates differently to England, Wales and NI.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I explained how it was. He was held under a public order offence. You get a choice, pay a fine or go to court.

Do you see a problem with this? In case you can't, I'll explain it to you.

Both of these 'choices' assume that he is guilty before being innocent.

Choice 1: Pay the fine, admit your guilt. Go home.
Choice 2: Don't pay fine, lose your LIBERTY and FREEDOM until such date a court manages to hear your case and find you innocent!!!

It's madness, stumason.

It really is quite simple.

Yes, it is simple. The entire system is simply broken and simply corrupt. He should NEVER have spent any time in jail while waiting to prove his innocence over revving a car engine.

EDIT: Seems alot of people here have "opinions" about something they know fudge all about. It might surprise you, but the UK is NOT the USA. We are allowed to do things differently. Add into the equation this is Scotland, which operates differently to England, Wales and NI.

I don't care if it happened in the USA or the UK. Both countries are supposed to be 'free'. The UK has shown that it's more like a police state.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Can someone tell me how the hell you rev your engine in a "racist manner"????

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

reply to post by tezzajw

Well, stone me! You mean in America when you're arrested, you don't go get held against your will? Whodathunkit....

Melbourne, Australia

Here in Clark County Nevada cussing out an officer will get ya a 'cooling off 'cell.

But then the County also sends you a citation for 3 months in Jail or 10,000.00 for leaving your trash cans on the street past collection day
I know... I have one frames

On the flip side they give you 30 days to correct the problem

[edit on 27-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

You're showing a complete ignorance of the UK legal system.

When you're charged with an offence, you'll be put up in front of magistrates to hear your plea, then you go free (assuming you're not deemed a danger to the public).

As he was arrested on a weekend and obviously refused the fine option, the next available day upon which he could be heard by a JP would be Monday. This also varies depending on the offence committed and also where you are. Scotland is quite different to England. When I was arrested and charged myself in my younger years, I was in and out of the police station in 4 hours, with the prelimenary court appearance nearly a month later.

Ad for your comment "He should NEVER have spent any time in jail while waiting to prove his innocence over revving a car engine", that's just utter naive BS.

Alot of people are remanded in custody pending trial, let alone kept in a cell over the weekend waiting to see a magistrate. It happens in the UK, it happens in the US and I damn well guarantee it happens in Oz. It all depends on the nature of the offence, the accused's previous record and their likelihood to abscond or offend again.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The thing is is if a white person called the cops and said somebody revved their engine at me the cops would just laugh at them and say its not a crime so we cannot do anything, but if a foreigner calls them and says it was racist the cops are terrified of being called racist them self so therefore have to find some bull$hit charge to pin on the person!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

That's ok. The UK legal/justice system shows complete ignorance of common sense and fairness.

As he was arrested on a weekend and obviously refused the fine option, the next available day upon which he could be heard by a JP would be Monday.

There lies the problem with the entire system. He was deprived of life and liberty for a weekend, while waiting for a JP? No way. Wrong. Corrupt.

Utterly disgraceful.

Did anyone realise that all he did was rev his engine and curse some swear words? Hmmm...

People who try to justify the legal/justice system in this instance do not realise how precious freedom and liberty really are.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Not nearly as much as you are.

You can't be kept in a police station for more than 24 hours without being charged. If you're not charged because of lack of evidence you get bail, if you are charged you get bail pending a court date. If the police believe you may be a danger you may get conditional bail, or no bail.

It'd be a pretty far stretch to say he was a risk for telling a police man to f off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join