It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Jail Time for Revving Engine in a Racist Manner

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by StevenDye
They didn't beat this man half to death for swearing at them, where is the huge probelm?

I guess you missed the part where a man spent nearly two days in a cell because he swore at police.

No, his swearing in no way controlled or influenced how long he stayed in jail. He was in Jail for two days because he went in jail on a Saturday and there was no JP available for two days.

That is just how things are. In my country (the US) if you go to jail on the weekend the earliest you will get to court is monday. The court system typically closes down on the weekend......

The amount of time he was in jail has NOTHING to do with his swearing at the police. It has only to do with the fact that there were no JP's available until Monday, which is typical.....Nothing out of the ordinary....

He could have paid a fine and be let out, gone to court on Monday and gotten the money back if he won. He opted to stay in jail.... Yet for whatever reason you keep trying to convince everyone that he was forced to stay in jail for two days because he swore at a cop.... THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
well, they were previously known mostly as thieves

Excellent. So all English people are thieves too.

you're taught to submit from birth....

Jeepers! That sounds sinister. What's that all about then?

and yes, we as Americans can and will comment on your silly little legal system, its policies as well as any other foolish practices of your country.

Good.Anyone can comment on the 'silly little legal system' and 'foolish practices' of the UK. I do it all the time.

And just listen to yourself...you sound so hateful of the UK. Why is that?

[edit on 28/6/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigman

Er, excuse me. There is no "english government". I wish there was, then we wouldn't have Scots calling the shots in Westminster, when we cannot do the same to them.

EDIT: Oh, I'd wish you lot would bugger off to. Then we can put to bed this rediculous theory that Scotland can be the land of milk and honey without the English taxpayer footing the bill.... But hey, that's another thread....

[edit on 28/6/09 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

stumason,
I am so thankful for people like you. I find that half the "news" articles posted here are bogus, twisted, and ill researched. It's because of a few people like you that we get the true story.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I can think of things I can do in the Uk that I would do a long time in jail for in the US.

Swings and roundabouts.

[edit on 27/6/09 by stumason]

Such as?

Please name just a few ...

Apologies if someone else has already asked for this from our esteemed "defend anything from the UK, no matter how ridiculous" member.

And in the U.S. you can most likely still get bailed out of jail - even on weekends - especially for such a trivial crime.

[edit on 6/28/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Is it me or are people staying up late practicing being thick ?

I first saw the headline and thought "This has to be bollocks" You clarified by doing the hard work, and it was as suspected bollocks.

Why oh why are people turning bollocks into evidence of a facist state NWO and such madness ?

I know because they practice being tick.

Thanks for the clarity dude, there are some loons on here somedays.

Today i learned that Prince Charles is not only the "antichrist "but also the prince of Whales!!!! Dear god is there no hope for humanity ?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Originally posted by stumason I can think of things I can do in the Uk that I would do a long time in jail for in the US. Swings and roundabouts. [edit on 27/6/09 by stumason]

Such as?

being Gary Mckinnon ? (scuse speeling)

Wearing jeans that are lower than your boxer shorts ?

Being homosexual ?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Walk across the street at any point?

Not be arrested for minor drugs offences or be thrown into the prison population for years for having a bit of weed?

Drink alcohol @ 18 years old?

Have sex with a 16 year old?

Depending on the state, it is illegal to practice homosexual relations or sex outside of marriage.

In N. Carolina, one can be arrested for "fortune telling, phrenology, palmistry, clairvoyance, and other crafts of a similar kind"... Fortune telling? Apparently it is a $500 dollar fine, 6 months in jail, or both!

Though not an arrestable offence, it is worth mentioning for a laugh: In Texas, you can be prohibited from holding public office if you do not ackoledge the existence of a Supreme Being!

I could go on, but I really don't have the time or interest, knowing what you're like centurion. What I said that you replied to was merely to demonstrate that our countries are different, with different laws and such.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This penalty is a bit harsh in my opinion. A fine is understandable. We have some issues around here with a similar matter. Some of the motorcycle groups will travel down a popular street, with restaurants, etc, and rev the hell out of their bikes. There's just no need for it. If you're trying to enjoy dinner with friends or a loved one...it's just uncalled for and ignorant.

Not sure if someone answered this yet or not...

The difference between jail and a holding cell, typically (can't speak for every dept.) is, the department has fairly small cells with much fewer "occupants". Whereas in jail you are subject to general population, which could mean quite a large difference in numbers.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by Retseh

Can someone tell me how the hell you rev your engine in a "racist manner"????

You simply think the wrong thing while doing so. It's a thought crime. Now if the people were crossing the street directly in front of the car, revving the engine might be seen as a threat, but in the absence of any racist statements, your going strictly on conjecture. Perhaps the PTB wish to see racism where none exists for social engineering purposes.

-------------------------------

As someone who has spent a night in jail for flipping someone off, I can tell you that the same BS goes on here in Texas. It’s nanny state nonsense that seeks total control of the individual.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by Retseh

Can someone tell me how the hell you rev your engine in a "racist manner"????

You simply think the wrong thing while doing so. It's a thought crime. Now if the people were crossing the street directly in front of the car, revving the engine might be seen as a threat, but in the absence of any racist statements, your going strictly on conjecture. Perhaps the PTB wish to see racism where none exists for social engineering purposes.

-------------------------------

As someone who has spent a night in jail for flipping someone off, I can tell you that the same BS goes on here in Texas. It’s nanny state nonsense that seeks total control of the individual.

It's a bit tough to prove intention in this case. How do you prove that I revved my engine because of the persons religion. With all do respect, I've never heard of a thought crime. It's almost like saying, watch what you think, because you can be held accountable in the court of law.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
For those that have a problem with the English then may I respectfully suggest you look at your own country and wind your necks in

Police have a DUTY to investigate an alleged offence, regardless of the victims religous beliefs. When the victims reported their incident do you really think the officer taking the notes said "Whats your religion?"

No, its the normal crap media reporting what they want.

Upon speaking with the person (to whom the complaint was made) he probably did what half the idiots do and gave the PC's attitude and gob. He would have been warned against his conduct, as usual instead of taking heed he continued to gob off and got himself nicked for a sect 5.

So what! If he was swearing and causing offence then thats the way it goes.

If I heard someone swearing in a public place and there were woman or children present then I would ask them to watch their language too. Its called having manners and being civil.

So don't brand England as a Police state because it's not. And for those that have confused the OP's post with England, it was in SCOTLAND!

People in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks.

[edit on 28/6/09 by Dark Vengeance]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Never heard of a thought crime? Read 1984, that's the genesis of the term. Aren't conspiracy laws really thought crimes? After all you haven't committed the crime yet, if you ever would. Aren't 'hate crimes' based on thought? What you were thinking when committing the crime apparently makes it worse in the eyes of the law. Thought crimes already exist, and they're getting more pervasive.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Nice one for bringing some clarity into the thread rather than straight up across the pond ignorance.

I have been arrested before and spent all weekend in the cells,thats just the way it is if you want to be an idiot and get arrested on a friday/saturday then dont be suprised when you get a room in her majesty's hotel!.

also to add it IS an offense to swear at the police over here (section 5 i think) But they usually give you 2 or free warnings first so its up to you.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
Has anyone else seen the date of this news story?

Sep 17 2006

Not really surprising bearing in mind the posting history of the OP. He must have spent hours trawling for the story before hitting the jackpot. A chance to have a swipe at Brits and Muslims in the same post. Bingo!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

I think you took my reply the wrong way. What I am saying is, how do you prove that this was intended towards those individuals due to their ethnic background, race, etc.?

As far as hate crimes, isn't there some tangible evidence to support the charge? I would say so. If someone is a known member of an anti-whatever group, and commits a crime against those he/she opposes, well there's some evidence. I can't find any in this specific case if I'm reading it correctly and it is accurate. Conspiracy claims are another case. You're dealing with a entirely different dynamic.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by KEMIK]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Hello, first time poster here.

I'm glad that the first couple of pages about Scotlands barbaric justice system have died down a little. What you've got to realise if you live here is that you don't get up to anything naughty on a friday night. Otherwise you will have a long weekend on your hands to reminice about your recent * bucky fuelled escapades. Fortunately, I've never had the pleasure.

My first point that nobody has brought up is that the newspaper in question, the Sunday Mail, is a tabloid rag that nobody should ever take seriously, except for comedy value.

Second point is that the guy in question is supposed to be a car mechanic. He has already replaced one engine for £15,000 and was about to repeat this. If this is the case then I would suggest he seeks other employment as he is not too good at his job.

The last point is that nobody here knows the exact circumstance of the original comlaint. Were the muslim couple crossing the road in front of him? Were there other white people about who weren't given the 'rev' treatment?
Was there any eye contact between the parties?
I would severly doubt if this couple complained to the police if there wasn't good cause. If they could take offence at an innocently revved engine, they could take offence to just about anything.

Another point that I've just thought of is their explanation to why the perp revven his engine, they maybe gave a throw-away comment, "maybe it's because we're muslims"....perhaps not too unbelievable....
...BANG...the Sunday Mail swings into full ( fool?) force ( you really have to read this rag to rrealise how bad it is).

My own opinion was that the revved engine could not be racist, sectarian or bigotted ( how could it be?), but the intent behind it was.

In any case, the guy sounds like a right numpty, and could do with a few days out of harms way.

* Bucky is a potent tonic wine favoured by the local population in Scotland. It also goes by the tag " wreck the hoose juice", which I find quite funny.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw Yes, it is a police state.

You say the U.K is a police state yet look below for some real laws in Australia and I do mean real

Australia Law: It is illegal to force a kangaroo to drink more than 6 bottles of beer.

Australia Law: It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burglar.

Australia Law: No man under 4ft 8 inch is alowed to surf on Klondike Beach (due to the size of the waves.)

Australia Law: It is illegal to walk on the right hand side of a footpath.

Australia Law: Victoria: It is illegal to wear sexy pink pants after midday on a Sunday.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

Welcome Knobby.

I can agree. There's probably a lot more to the story. Let's face it, how often does the press include the entire situation? I guess my bottom line is where do you actually draw the line? People are going to be offended by many things they see or hear on a daily basis. From what I've experienced, people revving their engines while I'm trying to eat dinner with my girlfriend on the patio of a restaurant doesn't give me the basis to file a complaint that it was a personal attack towards the diners at that restaurant. Are they ignorant for doing so? In my opinion, yes.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.

Originally posted by tezzajw Yes, it is a police state.

You say the U.K is a police state yet look below for some real laws in Australia and I do mean real

Australia Law: Victoria: It is illegal to wear sexy pink pants after midday on a Sunday.

I really hope that is true.
I just can't be arsed looking.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join