It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone explain to me the "worry wort" mentality, please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I have a close friend who just drives me totally insane with her banter about high winds and tropical storms coming, about how this tree and that one could fall on her house at any given moment. She also has that with seeing helicopters or ambulances, she has to go right out of the house and see what's going down. It's ridiculous...I just don't get it...what's wrong with her?
Sometimes I just want to tell her "Enough chicken little, the sky IS NOT FALLING!!!!" UUUUGH.
Does anybody blame me? Who wants to hear about chaos and disaster all the time? It's really bringing me down!!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I have a close friend who just drives me totally insane with her banter about high winds and tropical storms coming, about how this tree and that one could fall on her house at any given moment. She also has that with seeing helicopters or ambulances, she has to go right out of the house and see what's going down. It's ridiculous...I just don't get it...what's wrong with her?
Sometimes I just want to tell her "Enough chicken little, the sky IS NOT FALLING!!!!" UUUUGH.
Does anybody blame me? Who wants to hear about chaos and disaster all the time? It's really bringing me down!!!!

I think I have seen your friend on SNL.

Isn't her name Debbie Downer?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by ldyserenity

I think I have seen your friend on SNL.

Isn't her name Debbie Downer?

I call her Sandy schitzo...lol...but good analogy!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Does she have control issues? It is not uncommon for victims of abuse in one form or another to want to take control of everything as a protection. So the things she cant control evoke irrational fear and anxiety.

Just a shot in the dark.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

can be a few things, i mean even something as simple as caffeine can make a worrier even more of a worrier, for a example.

also it has been said that everyone has slightly different chemical actions going on in there body which accounts for it a bit.

your best just listening to her but also reminding her that the sun does usually come up everyday anyhow, etc.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

Could be, you never know about everyone's past. Whose to say. All I know is I am very empathetic, but Darn it I just can't stand it anymore. I wanna scream "GROW UP!" I know it's probably not her fault, but still...it irks me beyond reason. I guess I am just too rational to understand?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day
It is not uncommon for victims of abuse in one form or another to want to take control of everything as a protection. So the things she cant control evoke irrational fear and anxiety.

This could be it.

However, not just abuse causes this, I see it frequently in people who have experienced some serious medical condition or just aging. Again its a loss of control thing, and since they cannot control the condition of their bodies, they try and control their environments. It can be rather annoying, but you just have to understand what it is and have patience with them.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by The Great Day
It is not uncommon for victims of abuse in one form or another to want to take control of everything as a protection. So the things she cant control evoke irrational fear and anxiety.

This could be it.

However, not just abuse causes this, I see it frequently in people who have experienced some serious medical condition or just aging. Again its a loss of control thing, and since they cannot control the condition of their bodies, they try and control their environments. It can be rather annoying, but you just have to understand what it is and have patience with them.

She's younger than me. I beleive she has mental issues and should probably be on some kind of medication. JMO. But, then I am not a phsychiatrist. That's why I am asking arund ATS. I figured at least counseling for it.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Have you talked to her about it? There are many ways to help identify irrational fears and thought disorders. But one has to be willing to admit they have a problem to actually beginning to reprogram there thinking with cognitive methods.

or maybe get her this picture for the fridge

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

similar to what others have said stress related, and control of environment makes some sense.

you just need to be patient, try and help sometimes, but maybe dont tell your helping her, so you just think of others things to do and be doing and chilling to take her mind off of it, be one step ahead of her affliction, and other times remember patience.

if you are empath as you said then you also bring her to you, as she see you as someone who wants to listen to her etc.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by jonys]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

yes a symptom of Post Traumatic Stress as well

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Yes I have and so has her BF. So have others. She doesn't think she has a problem...and it's becoming irritating. I can't be around that all the time, I am an empath and I start getting very depressed and irritable, then I get moody, just picking up on all those negative energies she is bursting with I got to distance myself often. Or I go totally off kilter. Really. And other than that, she's a very nice person. I don't know what else to do. I will get her that saying on a plaque I think she should stick it beside her bed though, maybe subconciously it'll seep in lol.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Sometimes its only consequences that gets a person to look at them selves. I understand your frustration just remember that your health and sanity come first before you can help others. But if you need to distance yourself from her make sure you tell her why in a caring way.

I had to tell a friend just recently not to call me when he is drinking.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
are they worried about El Nino?

If they have ever been in a hurricane I could see why they might be afraid about one. I was recently in a car wreck and now I get freaked out when Im not driving.

some people Dwell in the negative. I suggest trying to change the conversation to something positive.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Yes' I understand. Thanks that's very good advice. It is totally in my nature to want to help a person, but sometimes when they don't think they need it, then like you said I have to limit time spent with them.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
You'll love this!

www.youtube.com...

Youtube of some cartoon folks who are worried about everything.

[edit on 6/27/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Too funny. That was pure gold...thanks. what a lark

top topics

join