It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-duty officer shoots 2 in lot after Angels game

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

actually, he was hit in the head with a bottle. then people RUSHED to him, chocked him, and didnt "ask" they demanded he step away from his car. Im sure at this point shots were fired, and then he called for backup.

I actually edited out that before bit as the article is a bit misleading. But, peiced together, this guy was getting some rough treatment. and im sure a professional man with two young children wasnt sitting in his seat at the game aggravating people and making them angry enough to do attack him. this was random, and if it wasnt, the cop was the biggest dick and irresponsible parent in the world.

UNLIKELY!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Before you jump one way or the other, let's follow the cop apologist mantra:

What happened just before he got hit, if indeed he was hit? Did the cop provoke the attack? Was the cop a crooked cop who threatened these guys? Remember the drunk Chicago cop who beat the crap out of a bartender for not serving him more alcohol. If it weren't for the video, his story would have been accepted, lock, stock, and barrel that she attacked him. Remember Rampart?

There are far too many question marks to simply accept the cop's version blindly: police are professional liars with happy trigger fingers, frequently with paranoid delusions. That's an established fact.

Personally, I will never give a cop the benefit of the doubt unless I know them personally. I don't trust any of them, even the ones I know who are fairly decent: peer pressure makes bad cops out of good ones very fast. They are too dangerous and unpredictable to trust. An excessive number are on steroids and are adrenaline junkies

Locally we had another outrage:

www.thecoastnews.com... 78025-Officer+found+not+guilty+in+road-rage+shooting+case&widget=push&instance=coast_2nd_top_story&open=&

Quick summary: off-duty cop shoots a mother and her eight -year old in a road rage incident, gets acquitted, is back on the job ready to shoot again.

In all my years living here, the only cop ever comvicted of killing anyone was Craig Peyer, a CHP cop who was most probably a serial killer, but was only caught for one. Other than that, zip. No cop was ever punished, demoted, fired or otherwise punished for killing anyone that I recall.

Part of the problem is that it is always an "internal investigation". Of course it's predictable that the perp will be exonerated, his friends will cover for him in self-interest, as they will get tarred with the same brush if they find fault, or have to undergo, ugh, training. When a cop kills, a completely different agency should investigate.

There are more bad cops than good ones, in my experience.

So I don't necessarily buy this cop's story, or believe any "internal investigations".

I'm really sick and tired of these power-happy fruitcakes. If you are a police officer, one of the good ones, you shouuld be tired of them, too. If you're not, maybe you should rethink your status. Step up and get rid of "the few apples": failure to do so is dereliction of duty of the highest sort and makes you as culpable as those you protect with your failure to uphold the law equally.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
reply to post by Nutter

actually, he was hit in the head with a bottle. then people RUSHED to him, chocked him, and didnt "ask" they demanded he step away from his car. Im sure at this point shots were fired, and then he called for backup.

So, again you are reading into it more than what the article states?

The article states he was chocked and told to step away from the car. Then he called for backup. THEN he shot the guys. So, yes, going by the article, he had enough time to call for backup before he shot them.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
In which time he could have taken his wife and children home away from any danger and not had to resort to playing cowboys with some drunken fools.

As other people are rightfully saying, if this had been joe public, he'd be facing jail time now...

But because he's a copper, he can get away with it.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Even if there was enough time to call for backup what does he do after making the call? Be beaten while everyone waits? Cops dont have instant molecular transporters or anything.

As the saying goes "when seconds count help is minutes away."

A lot of good it does someone to call the cops when all the cops are going to find when they get there is a corpse.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

But they wouldn't have found a corpse. They were drunken fans, not murderers...

Why, oh why does everybody in America assume that everybody is out to kill them?

Are you all that dependant on guns and paranoid?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Nutter

Even if there was enough time to call for backup what does he do after making the call? Be beaten while everyone waits? Cops dont have instant molecular transporters or anything.

And the only other alternative is to shoot them? What happened to trying to arrest them? He IS a cop afterall.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

People do NOT deserve to die just because they made a mistake.

Mistake? A mistake is oops, I forgot to put quotes around what you said and made it look like my own words. Oops, I accidently walked into you.

These thugs made rational choices - to assualt another human.

The only mistake they made was choosing to assualt the wrong person. They would have been better off assualting someone who does is more sympathetic towards thugs.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

An overreaction? I don't know. Getting something thrown at you while you are with your wife and kids is pretty extreme. He should've called for back-up and had the assailants run over by a SWAT van.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
In which time he could have taken his wife and children home away from any danger and not had to resort to playing cowboys with some drunken fools.

As other people are rightfully saying, if this had been joe public, he'd be facing jail time now...

But because he's a copper, he can get away with it.

This man had no idea if the thugs were armed with weapons. You forget. The real bad guys - thugs and criminals - carry too - and they will use them.

When you are in a situation where things are happening very fast and you are not sure what is being carried by the other or what their inentions are - you do what you feel is best to defend yourself.

Other options? He could have said "Stop please, your not being very nice!!" He could have rushed them and hti them - but what if they had a gun and shot him or his family? He could have run away - what if they chased after or shot him or his family?

WHAT IF.....WHAT IF....WHAT IF......

It has nothing to do with America. It has nothing to do with playing cowboy. It has to do with the reality that there really are people out there who want to harm you!

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 6/25/2009 by greeneyedleo]

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

So i'll just lump you into the 'let's kill everyone group eh?'

Like you're lumping these people into your own chosen group.

Well done.

link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
He should've called for back-up and had the assailants run over by a SWAT van.

He DID call for back-up. THEN he shot them.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

But they wouldn't have found a corpse. They were drunken fans, not murderers...

Why, oh why does everybody in America assume that everybody is out to kill them?

Are you all that dependant on guns and paranoid?

why, oh why does every american assume cops are out to kill them?

are you all that dependant on guns and paranoia?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I dont really care why a person is hitting me in the head and choking me. And I'm certainly not wondering when the person chocking and hitting me is planning to stop. My only concern is stopping the hitting and choking. For different people the method will vary. Stephen Segal would snap their necks. Chuck Norris would simply wish them into the corn field. If I can reach my firearm I'm going to shoot them center mass. I'm a tall guy but a rail thin guy and there's no way in hell I'm going to be physically subduing drunken ruffian types.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
This man had no idea if the thugs were armed with weapons. You forget. The real bad guys - thugs and criminals - carry too - and they will use them.

My question:

WHO brandished and used a weapon?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

reply to post by greeneyedleo

So i'll just lump you into the 'let's kill everyone group eh?'

Like you're lumping these people into your own chosen group.

Well done.

Where have I said: Lets kill everyone? You are falsely putting words into my mouth.

I am not lumping them into anything. I am judging them based on what they did as individuals. They assaulted an innocent man. And he defended himself and his family.

edit for tags

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981

Ok this is just unbelieveable, this officer shoots two unarmed men after they "assulted" him following a baseball game. So apparently it's ok for cops even off duty to use firearms against others, here is another example of the "law" going to an extreme

Are you for real?

If you, a private citizen, was attacked by 2 thugs wielding beer bottles and who then proceeded to choke you, all while you were with your wife and family, you would be entirely justified to ventilate them.

Just as he was.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

My question:

WHO brandished and used a weapon?

They did. They assualted him with an object. He defended himself BEFORE they could have possibly used something else.

edit for tags

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

But i'm tall and skinny.

That's absolutely no excuse. If you can't defend yourself with your own hands, then you need to learn. Because one day you won't have a gun handy and then what?

People need to stop being so reliant on weapons. Get yourself fit and deal with it.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I dont really care why a person is hitting me in the head and choking me. And I'm certainly not wondering when the person chocking and hitting me is planning to stop.

Obviously they stopped enough for him to call his department and ask for back-up.

Why didn't he brandish his weapon then and say "stop, you are now under arrest"?

How did it get to the point where he called the police to him shooting the "thugs"? Did they bum rush him again after he made the call? We don't know from the article.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join