It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'All Natural' First Aid Kit - working thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mappam

I too love the ginger!
I use it in a variety of applications, mostly for pleasure unless I have a belly ache or something like. I'm a fan of gingerale so sometimes I will add an extra drop of EO to my beverage, particularly if I'm nauseous.

I have found that Myrrh seems to be the best EO for oral care. I think I may have posted something about that here already.....

...and I thank you for bringing life to this thread! I felt like I was having a very long conversation with myself so I kind of forgot about it! lol

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

Well, specifically I am looking for plant identification for that which I will find in my area. TX. One that has nice description of plant uses such as what you have posted and how to use them properly.

I would love to have a greenhouse with all the plants healthy and established but I cannot do that with a one bedroom apt. Plus every plant I try to care for ends up dying. My schedule is so cruddy ATM that I end up with all kinds of weird yellow mushrooms all over the place or I find out the soil has virus's or whatnot. I have managed to keep my African Violets alive for over a year, though!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
You are Very welcome!

I make soap, soy candles, lotions etc and also have every EO (I think I do anyway :@@

I started doing this when I found out that most of the lotions and soap etc contain petrolium products - yuck
and wanted to Go-More-Natural.

It is all very very interesting.

The above was just from memory and I would need to look up a lot of my (remembered) knowledge to varify it.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Interesting thread, S&F

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: S&F!

I'm wondering if these unmentioned as yet organic products have any medicinal value yeast, beer, spirits, wine/vinegar, bicarb, salt, olive oil, citrus juices, fungus/moss/lichen, cheese and honey, in an All natural 1st-aid kit? Advice from the OP and or other members with an expertise in this area much appreciated.

Personal Disclosure: Ain't it great that a witches kitchen can become a witch doctors surgery in jiffy!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Disclaimer = I am Not a doctor or expert!! This is just information I have found while reading or researching. Or from personal experiance.

SO Please Take that into account while reading!

Vinegar is awesome!

It is a natural 'product' that is great for rashes or itching.

It is a disinfectant and can be used for cleaning surfaces and windows.

It is better than Fabric Softener in the laundry - all natural and helps to rinse the soap residue out of the clothing.

Apple Cidar vinegar is healthy to drink (no Don't Drink it as in a whole glass! a quarter cup is the most at one time) for indigestion and general cleaning of your insides.

Honey is also awesome. It is one of Natures PURE foods (the other is milk) = Remember the saying - Land of milk and honey?

RAW honey is what you want - not the processed kind offered in most of the grocery stores.

Honey is (said) to be good for wounds. It is said to have curing properties when consumed - in tea or on toast etc.

Honey is soothing when used for a cough.

Another good and natural product to remember is Oats. Oatmeal is fantastic to eat but it is also good to add to a bath (ground up is best) for rashes/itching (Aveeno uses Oat[meal] in their products). As a face mask for soothing the skin etc...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Doc Holiday just alerted me to this thread. Good stuff, OP. Will be keeping an eye on this one. I, too, have and use essential oils with good success.

Hard to pick a favorite. Thanks for your list of suggestions. I think I have most of them. Did have trouble finding a few at the health food store, though. Going to have to widen my search.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Jewelweed is EXCELLENT for treating poison ivy. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to it myself, but I have an aunt and a son that are horribly allergic to it and we always go for the jewelweed. It grows in abundance around here, but it can also be made in to soap or other concoctions that will keep and can be used in a natural first aid kit.

Disclaimer: It appears that the site I linked to is trying to sell something. Just wanted to say that I'm not promoting that site. I only used it because it has good info on jewelweed that is relevant to this post.

[edit on 9/9/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Please u2u me if you can as I am newer on ATS I am unable to send U2U's yet.

I am in the process of putting together a EO kit, so far I have Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemongrass, Tea-tree, Sandalwood, Tangerine. I am looking for a list of what to have /should have, and what they are good for. So far I have used them to make my own deodorant and on occasion I will take a dab of peppermint oil and put it on my temples as I heard it is good for headaches and tension. Next project a herbal bug/ mosquito repellent. I am also looking for a good reference book on herbs. We are interested in growing our own herbs and distilling the EO's as well. I feel it is becoming a lost art and one that will be extremely valuable and necessary in a shtf situation or just in general. I appreciate your past posts and thank you for any knowledge you are willing to share.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
Today I would like to feature the amazing power of ........
Lemon Essential Oil
**This is very inexpensive and a true must have in the backpack!
Properties
-antimicrobial: kills or inhibits the growth of microbes such as bacteria, fungi, or viruses
-antiseptic: inhibits the growth and reproduction of microorganisms
-bactericidal: destroys bacteria
-carminative: induces the expulsion of gas from the stomach or intestines
-cicatrizant: promotes the healing of a sore or wound
-depurative: pures the blood
-diaphoretic: agent that produces perspiration
-diuretic: helps expel excess water from the body
-febrifuge: fever reducer
-haemostatic: styptic agent (regulates contraction of blood vessels)
-hypotensive: lowers blood pressure
-insecticidal: insect repellent (kills and deters pests)
-tonic: invigorating, refreshing, or restorative agent or influence
-vermifuge: expels intestinal worms
-anti-rheumatic: slows disease progression
*Note: This oil is non-toxic but it may cause skin irritation in some individuals, in those cases, dilute in a carrier oil (1:4 ratio)

~My 2 cents! This is a fantastic immuno-builder. Add 2 drops to water or juice daily for extra defense. This is also a primary ingredient in most flu/cold remedies. Also great treatment for vericose veins and broken cappillaries (I use it in all of these remedies)

It should also not be used by people with low blood pressure as it lowers it further, as does Lavender, Ylang-Ylang, and a few others.
I agree with another poster that Oregano is not used in Aromatherapy and one that appears on most toxic lists.
Thyme oil can kill staph and strep virus in 20 minutes.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What a shame I didn't arrive sooner

OP - if you're still with us please come back and continue! This thread started out to be exactly what I came looking for today and it would be grand to see it followed up.

On the offchance you do still frequent the forums I am going to U2U you

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Aspirin. It is quite possibly the most common pain reliever in use today. But what will you do if the SHTF and the supply runs out?

Willow leaves and bark. That's how. In ancient Greece, Hippocrates used to have his patients chew on willow leaves to reduce pain and fever. The ancient Egyptians would boil the bark and drink it as tea.

It turns out that willow leaves and bark contain a powerful pain relieving chemical called salicylic acid. The base chemical for modern aspirin. The only downside is that salicylic acid can cause an upset stomach and can burn your throat.

Modern aspirin contains the active ingredient (acetylsalicylic acid), corn starch, water, and a lubricant. Acetylsalicylic acid is a synthesized version of salicylic acid with none of the side effects.

The lubricant is usually hydrogenated vegetable oil. It's sole purpose is to keep the mixture from sticking to the machinery during processing.

To produce hard aspirin tablets, corn starch and water are added to the active ingredient (acetylsalicylic acid) to serve as both a binding agent and filler, along with a lubricant. Binding agents assist in holding the tablets together; fillers (diluents) give the tablets increased bulk to produce tablets of adequate size. A portion of the lubricant is added during mixing and the rest is added after the tablets are compressed.

For a simple at-home recipe to treat headaches, fever and minor pain, you can simply boil some leaves or bark, add some sugar and honey and drink as needed.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Im only going to get into a major jam here so im declining to add.

I am interested in everyone's lists though so please keep adding.

most appreciated.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Found two great books at the Library over the weekend. I think I will be buying both. Both available on Amazon too

"The Complete Book of HERBS, A practical guide to growing & using herbs" Lesley Bremness
Really like this one it has a wealth of information on uses, growing, planning a layout for garden!
and
"The Herbal Handbook, A User's Guide to Medical Herbalism" , David Hoffmann
Like the title implies it is more medicinal in nature. More about usage, how to make preparations and when to harvest herbs

In my opinion they should be used together. I will continue to search for resources and post my findings

top topics

<< 1   >>

join