It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
In fairness however would we prefer an over or under reaction when dealing with potentially dangerous pathogens?
Fears that another cruise ship has been struck by swine flu are mounting after it was blocked from entering two ports this week.
Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas is making a seven-night tour of the Southern Caribbean and was this week denied entry at St Lucia and Antigua.
Royal Caribbean's 'Adventure of the Seas' cruise ship
Suspected: Royal Caribbean's 'Adventure of the Seas'
Two members of the crew and one passenger have reportedly displayed flu-like symptoms.
Chief executive officer for the Antigua and Barbuda Tourism Authority Colin James told cruise website CruiseCritic.co.uk that despite three people being isolated and treated in Barbados, the ship was stopped from visiting St Lucia.
The website reported: 'Permission to dock in Antigua was also denied, based on advice from Antigua's chief medical officer and minister of health.'
Mr James added that the cases were confirmed as the H1N1 virus but a Royal Caribbean spokeswoman said earlier this week that full lab results were not yet available.
This is not the first time Royal Caribbean has been affected by swine flu - crew members were struck down with the virus on Serenade of the Seas in May.
And the news comes after the cruise operator said that the recent swine flu outbreak had hit its earnings.
'The flu outbreak had a short, but highly disruptive impact to our operations,' Chairman and Chief Executive Richard D. Fain said in a statement.
The Miami-based company said the virus led Royal Caribbean International's ships to steer clear of Mexican ports.
It also cancelled the launch of Pullmantur's Pacific Dream, which targets Mexican nationals.
Royal Caribbean, which has 37 ships in service and six being built, said its Celebrity cruises were not impacted by the virus.
'Fortunately, our vessels are quickly returning to their original itineraries, but the impact from the publicity surrounding the H1N1 virus on our Mexican business is frustrating,' Mr Fain said.
The World Health Organization says the disease has reached 66 countries and infected more than 19,000 people. It has caused 117 deaths, mostly in Mexico.
Speculation was also growing today that world health bosses could declare the swine flu outbreak the first global flu pandemic for more than 40 years.
It's a discussion board, when you post people reply and question, that is how it is. If you don't like it then ignore the responses or don't post. Pretty simple really.
Originally posted by Adrifter
The media hyper sensationalized the story,
Originally posted by Adrifter
I just do not think it is mature and intelligent to tell people not to travel or do business as usual for a flu that really is no different then the flu.
The World Health Organization has declared the world's first flu pandemic four decades, after learning that H1N1 infections are continuing to spread, including in Canada.
The WHO held an emergency meeting Thursday morning to discuss the changing global situation and then announced it was moving the flu pandemic level to Phase 6. It's the WHO's highest alert level and indicates an influenza pandemic is underway.
ISTANBUL - The World Health Organization declared a swine flu pandemic on Thursday, raising its alert to the maximum level six - the first global flu epidemic in 41 years. (UPDATED)
The move came as infections climbed in the United States, Europe, Australia, South America and elsewhere.