It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plugged In: The 8 Circuit Model of Consciousness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The consciousness model is cognitively based. Where is the social consciousness? The mass consciousness. I don't see it in there. The us in it all. I see it as a human model of consciousness, leaving much out that is connected to spiritual identity beyond the human mind and its abilities. Is it objective and without emotion? Is it subjective and without purpose? Is it impossible to be human and connected at the same time? At all times? Can we juggle it? A social need with a spiritual one? An independent need with a social one?

[edit on 14-6-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

The Aries/Libra axis concerns the struggle to find the balance between autonomy and compromise, self-assertion and cooperation, respect for the self and respect for the other. Naturally associated with the 1st/7th houses, this is a cardinal, fire-air axis ruled by Mars and Venus, mythic lovers and antagonists in equal measure. It describes the inherent tension that exists in all relationships: the struggle to find a balance between personal freedom and autonomy on the one hand, and the support, approval and appreciation we all need from others on the other hand. The question is, how can we be independent and focused on the achievement of our own goals, and at the same time find completion and fulfilment in our relationships?
This axis sounds like what you were saying about me vs them. Selfishness vs Self love, Self expression. etc.

the word tolerance and acceptance come to mind.

This seems that it would come to full fruition in the 3rd circuit (from my interpretation again which I'll have to post soon since I've varied from the Leary/Wilson model slightly). Primarily in teenage years when selfishness becomes a right of passage to establish priority of our values over our parents and become active members of society at large.

I think it's easy to recognize though that none of the circuits are completely firm. Being an organic system it's easy to see where seeds are planted and begin sprouting in lower circuits and grow fuller in higher circuits.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
reply to post by seagrass

Dealing with ideas of property and ownership would begin in the 2nd circuit in my interpretation. When we're told we can't touch something. Then we begin recognizing boundaries. And children seem to quickly develop and take to that concept at a young age with cries of "It's mine!".

And then take that to another level.
Of donation and charity, of murder and thievery. Denying oneself want for some spiritual purpose, or working oneself to the bone and coveting all one has out of fear.
Extremes along an axis, looking to find balance. Always our quest. We find spirituality in the balance. Of giving and receiving, of belief in abundance, and that all deserve to have their needs met.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

The consciousness model is cognitively based. Where is the social consciousness? The mass consciousness. I don't see it in there. The us in it all. I see it as a human model of consciousness, leaving much out that is connected to spiritual identity beyond the human mind and its abilities. Is is objective and without emotion? Is is subjective and without purpose? Is it impossible to be human and connected at the same time? At all times? Can we juggle it? A social need with a spiritual one? An independent need with a social one?

Which is what I've been working on

Once I finish it up, I'll post it. I don't know if it will meet all the criteria you've posted, but I'm trying. Going from a model of 'consciousness' to a model to describe the growth of intelligence and awareness. Not too much different, granted, but I think worth putting the effort into.

But then again, the map is not the territory

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

The Aries/Libra axis concerns the struggle to find the balance between autonomy and compromise, self-assertion and cooperation, respect for the self and respect for the other. Naturally associated with the 1st/7th houses, this is a cardinal, fire-air axis ruled by Mars and Venus, mythic lovers and antagonists in equal measure. It describes the inherent tension that exists in all relationships: the struggle to find a balance between personal freedom and autonomy on the one hand, and the support, approval and appreciation we all need from others on the other hand. The question is, how can we be independent and focused on the achievement of our own goals, and at the same time find completion and fulfilment in our relationships?
This axis sounds like what you were saying about me vs them. Selfishness vs Self love, Self expression. etc.

the word tolerance and acceptance come to mind.

This seems that it would come to full fruition in the 3rd circuit (from my interpretation again which I'll have to post soon since I've varied from the Leary/Wilson model slightly). Primarily in teenage years when selfishness becomes a right of passage to establish priority of our values over our parents and become active members of society at large.

I think it's easy to recognize though that none of the circuits are completely firm. Being an organic system it's easy to see where seeds are planted and begin sprouting in lower circuits and grow fuller in higher circuits.
This is represented in the Leo/Aquarius axis

Ruled by the Sun and Saturn, the Leo/Aquarius axis is another aspect of the parent-child relationship, although this time it is a positive, fire-air axis. The Sun-ruled Leo pole describes our unique creativity and individual potential, and the Saturn-ruled Aquarius pole describes the collective rules and laws to which we are all subject. Uranus, the transpersonal ruler of Aquarius, also has its part to play on this axis, and often operates as a refusal to obey any rules other than its own or to function as part of a group. The Uranian urge is to challenge and disrupt the status quo. It is led from the head rather than the heart although, ultimately, there is nothing more powerful or effective than the harnessing of 'hearts and minds'. The Leo/Aquarius axis describes the relationship between the individual and the group, between what is right for me, as an individual, and what is right for everyone else. These two things are not so easy to integrate, because we find ourselves once again entrenched on a fixed axis, in which neither pole is prepared to adapt, adjust or negotiate. It is all too human to behave as if the rules that govern society do not apply to us personally. On the other hand, if we are particularly law-abiding citizens, then we will no doubt find ourselves repeatedly outraged by the selfish, thoughtless behaviour of those who refuse to become responsible members of society or conform to its rules. Nevertheless, the heart and the head do co-exist, since most of us have the conviction, or the proof, that amongst all the millions of people in the world, there will be one unique and special person who is absolutely perfect for me.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

And then take that to another level.
Of donation and charity, of murder and thievery. Denying oneself want for some spiritual purpose, or working oneself to the bone and coveting all one has out of fear.
Extremes along an axis, looking to find balance. Always our quest. We find spirituality in the balance. Of giving and receiving, of belief in abundance, and that all deserve to have their needs met.

I think the imbalances in human behavior come from the imprinting on each circuit. And I also think that once a circuit is imprinted negatively it seems to obviously affect the development of each circuit above it. I don't think we can easily prescribe a complex behavior to a single circuit though. But we can find a root cause roughly by age perhaps?

Theft for example... Did they start stealing as a child implying a negative first or second circuit imprint? Or in their teenage years which might more imply rebelliousness as the fulfillment?

Of course humans are astoundingly complex, which I think it's why I've been so drawn to this particular 'map'. I see it as loose enough to be adaptable, but complex enough to be encompassing. Then again, only applying knowledge and answering questions proves that in the long run, whether or not it really fits or if it proves of any real value.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
If one could balance all the axes in unison... oh what if and if only.

Would we still be human?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The final axis

The Virgo-Pisces Axis is ruled by Mercury and Jupiter in their earth and water manifestations, and is naturally associated with the 6th and 12th houses.

The themes on this axis are order and chaos, control and trust, form and content, the practical and imaginal worlds, realities and dreams, service and devotion. I often equate this axis to the Grail legend, with the Pisces question being, 'Whom does the Grail serve?' and the Virgo answer being, 'He who serves the Grail". If this spectrum polarises on the Virgo side, then there will be a strong need for control over the daily routines of life, in an effort to keep chaos at bay. And yet, if the qualities of Pisces are not integrated, they will emerge from the unconscious and the Virgo individual will feel increasingly overwhelmed, and will tend to attract more and more disruption into their lives and feel more and more out of control.

Virgo is analytical, self-critical and perfectionist, brilliant at spotting errors and at focusing on the details but prone to missing the whole picture, which belongs to Pisces. If we identify only with the Virgo end of the axis, then we may become consumed by duty and drudgery, and we will long to escape. But until we can see the whole picture, we will always feel that anything we try to achieve is spoiled or imperfect in the making. On the Pisces side of this axis, we prefer to remain merged, undifferentiated and unformed in order to avoid having to grapple with the details and practicalities of life. In this case we are likely to find ourselves forced to engage with the world in practical ways, something we may bitterly resent.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

I also notice they are both fire/air axises if I read that right?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I also notice they are both fire/air axises if I read that right?
Aries/Libra and Leo/Aquarius?
Yes, fire always is opposed by air
Water always by Earth

Fixed, cardinal and mutable will vary by sign.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Would we still be human?

Of course. At least I think so. But I don't like to define human as a standard set of behaviors. There are elements that make us human on one hand, but I think more importantly is our 'mastery' of those elements. A poor word since it denotes dominance, but by which I mean a more philosophical/spiritual idea of 'free control'. Where we control something not by inhibiting it, but by maintaining it in a serviceable fashion... if that makes sense.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Would we still be human?

Of course. At least I think so. But I don't like to define human as a standard set of behaviors. There are elements that make us human on one hand, but I think more importantly is our 'mastery' of those elements. A poor word since it denotes dominance, but by which I mean a more philosophical/spiritual idea of 'free control'. Where we control something not by inhibiting it, but by maintaining it in a serviceable fashion... if that makes sense.
It does, but if it was possible to balance all of them, would there be a point anymore in trying? How boring.
I get an image of an old man juggling while asleep.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Then perhaps we're also leading into a correlation with the 'elements' as well, which makes sense. Earth/water falling primarily to 1st circuit and then in part to 2nd circuit which would also contain fire/air then moving to the third (again by my interpretation).

I think in terms of age the 'conflict' probably begins around 2 where emotion and intellect (water and air) seem to conflict. Then in puberty fire and earth seem to come into conflict, creating a 'molten' personality. Perhaps?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

You know what is boring, is sitting in a field for 4 or 5 hours during the day when it's hottest outside.

The only reason that's the time I pick, is because I figure I will also get a tan. (And I am.)

At least that's what others tell me -- it sounds very boring.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

It does, but if it was possible to balance all of them, would there be a point anymore in trying? How boring.

I've actually struggled with this idea because human life seems to require conflict as a measure of progress and progress as a measure of purpose. But I suppose that we can't know what other conflicts would await beyond that balancing. There would likely be a point, but not one we may be able to comprehend meaningfully now. Then again, maybe we'd just start over in some way.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Then perhaps we're also leading into a correlation with the 'elements' as well, which makes sense. Earth/water falling primarily to 1st circuit and then in part to 2nd circuit which would also contain fire/air then moving to the third (again by my interpretation).

I think in terms of age the 'conflict' probably begins around 2 where emotion and intellect (water and air) seem to conflict. Then in puberty fire and earth seem to come into conflict, creating a 'molten' personality. Perhaps?

and earth and fire.. building and destroying.. we learn from our mistakes. We adjust as time goes on and we learn from history... or not. We try something new, and it works part of the time, and then it fails. We start over... always searching for the answer. Problem is, laws rules and values. You can't please them all. So we try to please ourselves by looking inward and being quiet.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I've actually struggled with this idea because human life seems to require conflict as a measure of progress and progress as a measure of purpose. But I suppose that we can't know what other conflicts would await beyond that balancing. There would likely be a point, but not one we may be able to comprehend meaningfully now. Then again, maybe we'd just start over in some way.
We agree.
ain't it the truth?
And so we say it is all meaningless anyway. Yet... we keep on trying. Duality based existence will always incorporate conflict.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I've actually struggled with this idea because human life seems to require conflict as a measure of progress and progress as a measure of purpose. But I suppose that we can't know what other conflicts would await beyond that balancing.

If nothing else then you always must struggle against becoming stagnate and dying. Death is what we all ultimately struggle against, even if a human death is itself a very natural thing to happen, that doesn't mean that it's desirable or necessary. And that is the attitude we have to adopt.

When we bring our minds and entire bodies into balance, the next step imo is going beyond our bodies, to non-physical localities. And seeking out answers and a whole new level of existence there.

Imagine all the seeds a tree can produce in its fruit, and yet how few fully-grown trees will ever actually manifest from those seeds. Sometimes I think of the human race similarly, that we are all these kernels or seeds, but the ones of us who receive enough "sunlight" are able to break into a spiritual reality that most of us still have no conception of. And it incorporates everything on Earth, everything that has ever crossed our minds as a thought, and an infinity more. And if anything here on Earth is worth experiencing, then for sure many of the things "out there" are also worth experiencing before we start this all over again.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

You know what is boring, is sitting in a field for 4 or 5 hours during the day when it's hottest outside.

The only reason that's the time I pick, is because I figure I will also get a tan. (And I am.)

At least that's what others tell me -- it sounds very boring.
What makes it boring? To you or to someone else?
You pick the time, you pick the consequences.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

What makes it boring?

That's what I want to know.

Does it sound like something you'd be very interested in?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join