It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plugged In: The 8 Circuit Model of Consciousness

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
Foundations are symbolic and literal. The beginning of most cycles of growth need to be solid and/or healthy for most things to have a fighting chance. It makes sense to me. But then genetically some are naturally stronger in certain abilities. Some communication is a focus, others their needs, others social purpose.. But the basics are represented in that model for a strong inner world. Now the next 4 circuits are an outward expression of those on the physical world?

It's true that there are differences in the base system, so to speak. The brain itself. Some of us imprint certain circuits stronger than others. Myself, I consider having a decent grasp of at least written communication, yet I didn't know how to write my name in full until about the age of seven.

I think the best way I can describe my understanding of the next 4 circuits is to say that they deal with concepts that extend beyond simple physical correlations and social structure, moving into the realm of the deep mind. Dealing with the ecstatic, the metaphysical, 'mind over matter' and similar areas. I'll get into those tomorrow

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As I Understand It: Circuits 5-8
All circuits are programmable and interpretive. In the first 4 circuits we find the basics elements that form social structure and their specific manifestations are mutable.

The next 4 circuits are also mutable. They are states of consciousness which extend beyond common experience, lack firm interpretation. Myself and billions of others interpret these as 'spiritual', connections with a higher consciousness. This can be viewed as God in the broadest sense.

Interpretations here can also imprint lower circuits. That's what religion is for. In fact, I suppose that the more 'successful' a religion is can correlate to how much it imprints (controls) lower, social circuits.

Please note: When I say lower, I don't mean 'less than'. I'm merely implying that the circuits seem to have a definite ascendancy, like a ladder. But no rung is better than another because we need each to reach the next.

Also, my interpretations may seem to some to vary from the Leary/Wilson model. They don't in my opinion. Where the original model seems more attuned to how to reach these circuits, I am focusing on the collective experience as I see it. Feedback is always appreciated.

Circuit 5 - Agony and Ecstasy: This is the initial circuit in most spiritual journeys. Instigated by sex, dancing, chanting, drumming, 'sweating', self-flagellation, mutilation... In other words, excessive stress on the body and mind. It is the first stage that says to the experiencer, "You are not the body".

Circuit 6 - Peace and Tranquility: This circuit is characterized in direct opposition to the previous circuit where a state of peace and bliss is reached not through 'tuning up' but 'tuning down'. Reached through quiet practices of meditation such as prayer, chanting, yoga and tai chi; this circuit is where the mind focuses to quiet.

Circuit 7 - Harmony and Oneness: This furthers the previous circuit, focusing the mind from quiet to stillness. In this stillness is often found a total sense of belonging, a lack of separation from everything, demonstrating once and for all that you are not the body. It is often referred to as 'enlightenment'.

Circuit 8 - Higher Self: In the Leary/Wilson model this circuit is referred to as the Non-Local Quantum Circuit, the Meta-Programmer. The you that is not you. That appears to reside outside the body, on another dimension, another plane.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Originally posted by TravelerintheDark

My cats know that they are fed around the same time, and they react at the same time every day. So this might actually be a social function developed specifically in relation to living in a human environment. Which makes sense for a social animal like a dog or even a cat to adapt to social structures outside its norm.

here is an example of a cat wanting to adapt to a human environment

[edit on 9-6-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Brilliant videos. What the cat is doing is open to question, simply enjoying that it's making sound or attempting communication on some level. But then the two are likely interrelated at some point in evolution. Music is at its root a form of communication.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
What the Thinker Thinks, The Prover Proves

I see the value of the upper 4 circuits as the ability to reprogram the lower 4. What value is this? Why the old standby of world peace, naturally achieved through individual inner peace. It might seem a pipe dream, but this is a false interpretation. Because we are nothing but thought and emotion at the core, illustrated in demonstrations of "You are not the body".

It has been demonstrated in not just anecdotal and experiential evidence but experimentally that practices of meditation lead to 'quiet thought' which leads to 'thoughtful emotion'. This in turn leads to 'thoughtful action'.

The misstep to me is assigning a system of belief to achieving this. And tying those beliefs tightly to the lower circuits. Most dangerously in the 2nd and 3rd circuits.

Remembering that the map is not the territory may help. The most admired gurus and teachers of all time have taken great pain in showing us their map. But they are not the map anymore than they are the territory.

At least that's how I see it.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

These concepts veer away from the traditional 'outer world' descriptions of astrological houses and become more the techniques involved within one or two of them. Astrological houses encompass 'areas' of human experience. Such as home, marriage, status reputation, friendship/humanity...etc. Most of these concepts fall within the 8th, 9th and 12th houses.

Circuit 5 - Agony and Ecstasy: This is the initial circuit in most spiritual journeys. Instigated by sex, dancing, chanting, drumming, 'sweating', self-flagellation, mutilation... In other words, excessive stress on the body and mind. It is the first stage that says to the experiencer, "You are not the body".
Drugs and near death experiences as well. This is a necessary experience in my opinion. Pleasure and pain are experienced in order for contrast. I don't know if I agree that a spiritual experience of pleasure or agony requires that we think "we are not the body" but that we can control the body. That the body does not rule us. That we can experience states that seem outside of it. This is where we learn a mental state can change how we perceive pain and ecstasy. It gives us control, and therefore a feeling of connectedness to spiritual states of awareness. Somewhat primitive, but yes, I think it is a beginning stage on the journey of consciousness. This would fall in the 8th and 9th houses of death, dying, transformation, spiritual states, and higher concepts of spirituality. Religious tradition and risk taking for pleasure and adventure: associated Pluto, Jupiter and Neptune. But still remains more of a technique to reach it.

Circuit 6 - Peace and Tranquility: This circuit is characterized in direct opposition to the previous circuit where a state of peace and bliss is reached not through 'tuning up' but 'tuning down'. Reached through quiet practices of meditation such as prayer, chanting, yoga and tai chi; this circuit is where the mind focuses to quiet. This would fall in the 12 house. Our persona when we are alone, quiet, dream states etc. This is a reconnect with the higher self. Allowing a free flow and exchange with other dimensions. An opening up to subconscious communication. Rules all those forms of communication. Connection with oneness would fall in this house.. where a connection with and focus for humanity would fall in the 11th of friends and groups. A more Earthly focus. This also takes a technique perspective.

Circuit 7 - Harmony and Oneness: This furthers the previous circuit, focusing the mind from quiet to stillness. In this stillness is often found a total sense of belonging, a lack of separation from everything, demonstrating once and for all that you are not the body. It is often referred to as 'enlightenment'.
Sounds like nothing and everything at the same time. There is no house for that in traditional astrology as I know it. A concept that would fall in or under the idealistic or altered states of the energy of Neptune. Neptune is ruled by Pisces so oneness such as this would fall in the 12th house.

Circuit 8 - Higher Self: In the Leary/Wilson model this circuit is referred to as the Non-Local Quantum Circuit, the Meta-Programmer. The you that is not you. That appears to reside outside the body, on another dimension, another plane.
This is not a concept that falls within traditional astrology, but is implied through topics such as karma and past lives. This is a goal imo. Something rarely reached or connected by most people on a conscious level. This would encompass the entire chart.. all charts one has ever lived and will live. As a collection of experience.. and then who knows what all else we don't understand about the nature of our connectedness to all.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I should take this up in the issues thread.. but sometimes when I edit it goes back to the original version, pre edit. It is quite annoying.

I have seen articles and threads on that tribal/shamanistic drug.. but I believe people are wanting to connect with states such as these without the use of them. I think that time is passing. I think we want to control how and when we experience such states. I believe it is possible to do so, although I have never experienced a lot of the things people talk about in these. I do get glimpses and moments that lead me to believe they are possible without drugs.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I will lay off the astrology bit now that It is pretty clear we have had and probably always will have a structure, system, tradition, or science related to human behavior. And that the ideas when presented are not always complete, nor hold other systems of thinking...but we have come a long way in understanding our consciousness on a mass level... once reserved for shamans and medicine men. We now realize on some level that we can heal ourselves without them.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

These concepts veer away from the traditional 'outer world' descriptions of astrological houses and become more the techniques involved within one or two of them.

Thank you once again for your insight

Yes, the upper 4 circuits seem to deal much more with transformative concepts and ideals. Appear to be more malleable. Where the lower 4 seem to be based solidly in emotional responses and material/physical interpretation. The ideas almost seem to turn in on themselves as they move upward. Rather like a Mobius strip, or infinity symbol.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

These concepts veer away from the traditional 'outer world' descriptions of astrological houses and become more the techniques involved within one or two of them.

Thank you once again for your insight

Yes, the upper 4 circuits seem to deal much more with transformative concepts and ideals. Appear to be more malleable. Where the lower 4 seem to be based solidly in emotional responses and material/physical interpretation. The ideas almost seem to turn in on themselves as they move upward. Rather like a Mobius strip, or infinity symbol.
or the spira mirabilis and Pi, a process building on itself, expanding. Growth over time and experience. Nautilus.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
For anyone interested in a book that goes in depth with this stuff i found Prometheus rising on scribd.com and that is written by Anton Wilson, it is a self help/discovery kind of book with explanations and do it yourself tests in every chapter

Great topic OP

Wikipedia on Prometheus rising

The book

Oh, wait, bsbray11 has the book in his signature

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Harman]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Thanks, Harman. Prometheus Rising is the absolute inspiration for this thread. I first read it myself on Scribd and immediately had to by a hard copy. I highly recommend it.

This thread started that way and has lead me to the hope of exploring the concepts even further than what I found in the book. We may not break new ground or redraw the map, but it is fun

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

or the spira mirabilis and Pi, a process building on itself, expanding. Growth over time and experience. Nautilus.

And so I think we see a part of what ancients meant in referring to human existence as a spiral. Not simply a nice metaphor, but translatable to something in a way almost practical.

It was suggested to me to compile of list of 'techniques' used through the ages to achieve these states. Intuitively, I thought it sounded wonderful. As I considered I realized that it may go another way to elucidate the spiral concept, demonstrating how things are very much the same no matter how different they appear on the surface.

As you read this, perhaps try to consider as many faiths or belief systems you can apply to each one.

Please don't think I believe this compilation to be in any way exhaustive

*Sex*
Tantric yoga/Kundalini
karezza
abstinence

*Diet*
kashrut (kosher eating)
vegetarianism
fasting

*Mortification & Stress*
flagellation
piercing
sauna or 'sweating'
'fire walking'
dancing/running/walking
drumming
prostration (often repetitive kneeling)
ingesting toxins (from absinthe to strychnine)
hard breathing techniques (such as pranayama)
sensory deprivation

*Low or non-Stressful Physical Activity*
meditation
yoga
tai-chi
prayer
singing
soft breathing techniques
chanting (mantras, sutras, etc)
mudras (hand positions)

*Other Sensory Experiences*
incense
aromatherapy
light/color therapy
binaural beats
graphic arts (such as mandalas)

It becomes obvious even through a short list like this that for every sensory experience humans can have, they have pushed to their boundaries to achieve altered states of consciousness. Is it simply to experience a 'high' (a loose term that even long distance runners use)?

Partly, I believe, yes. But anyone who peruses sensation knows that it doesn't maintain its impact. Does that make us simply foolish? I tend to think not entirely.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
here is a thread happening simultaneous to yours in which a philosophy of 7 rooms of a castle are the path to 'enlightenment'. Say it however you wish, but it is a motivation we all relate to. A universal goal and mass push to connect with something else.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I completely agree. We can describe it in infinite ways and still we are talking about the same destination. One of the greatest truths of my life is knowing that we all create our own map of the territory we tread.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I completely agree. We can describe it in infinite ways and still we are talking about the same destination. One of the greatest truths of my life is knowing that we all create our own map of the territory we tread.
And there are an infinite number of paths to get there. There is no golden road, except to say that the road is always there, finding it takes time and practice.. but the destination is inevitable.. imo.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Here is a link that should be interesting for those interested in astrology.

Astrology and the 8 Circuit Model

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Here is a link that should be interesting for those interested in astrology.

Astrology and the 8 Circuit Model
It says....

If the general conception of archetypes and circuits outlined in the previous post is correct, then astrology should be a map of the same territory. The core elements of astrology should match up with the core elements of the eight circuits, just as the archetypes did. Otherwise, one of the theories is deeply wrong or incomplete.

I would need to know more about the last four circuits in order to see the archetypes vs techniques for reaching what those signs and houses encompass. But I would guess that the theories are much the same. Breaking new ground in archetypes could be achieved as we have garnered new experience, such as advances in technology. The brain and computer associations you were discussing with me in u2u are comparable to downloading and uploading.. something very much associated with Aquarius.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Good point. The issue with understanding the upper four circuits is that they are largely 'unconscious'. To access them requires an altered state of consciousness to overcome the natural 'conscious' mind barrier. And so they are largely experiential and I'm not sure they can be defined yet by firm standards.

Maybe some day?

I'm currently working on something illustrative to the model with some potential 'corrections'. Better to say that it broadens the understanding, at least for me, rather than really corrects anything.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join