It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 mysterious orange UFOs cross the night sky

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Chinese lanterns could not have had more publicity due to all this. Most people are now aware of them than ever before and have even seen them as they are released regularly in the UK. Bearing this in mind, it would be expected that the number of mistaken sightings would steadily decrease. Instead it is increasing. I find it hard to believe that hundreds of sane, intelligent people are still mistaking these things and calling newspapers, the police and military. People are not totally stupid and you have to give some credit to observers here. It does seem that people really are seeing something so unusual that it defies their rational explanation. If you read the reports, many are now saying they know what lanterns look like etc. so these observers are aware of these things.

I too was very dismissive and sceptical until I actually happened to see something myself and I am a fairly experienced observer of the night sky. I will recount exactly what I saw as it I made damn sure I got a detailed observation.

I live in a remote part of Scotland well away from any major towns so it is very dark at night. At about 9.50 I went outside to the car and immediately I noticed a brilliant shimmering orange/red light at about 300feet and approx one mile distance coming towards me as if going to pass overhead. It was the size of half a full moon and as bright as a car headlight would be at that range. It continued then stopped. It remained still at about 400ft just half a mile away for over five minutes, below cloud. Then it dimmed and changed colour to red and moved about 10 degrees right where it stopped again and hovered. All in all I watched it for over 10 minutes. I got it in a pair of high quality 10x binocualars and in them it was not a single light but two rows of about 6 smaller lights which looked as if they may be part of a larger rectangular object

I saw it well, in binoculars and for over 10 minutes at close range. I don't know what it was but it wasn't a lantern or helicopter.

A family saw similar some time ago near here driving late at night and watched it for half an hour till they became scared. Lanterns DO NOT last for half an hour, that's evidence enough in itself!!

I don't have to read all these reports to make up my mind!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by highlander2008
Chinese lanterns could not have had more publicity due to all this. Most people are now aware of them than ever before and have even seen them as they are released regularly in the UK. Bearing this in mind, it would be expected that the number of mistaken sightings would steadily decrease. Instead it is increasing. I find it hard to believe that hundreds of sane, intelligent people are still mistaking these things and calling newspapers, the police and military. People are not totally stupid and you have to give some credit to observers here. It does seem that people really are seeing something so unusual that it defies their rational explanation. If you read the reports, many are now saying they know what lanterns look like etc. so these observers are aware of these things.

I too was very dismissive and sceptical until I actually happened to see something myself and I am a fairly experienced observer of the night sky. I will recount exactly what I saw as it I made damn sure I got a detailed observation.

I live in a remote part of Scotland well away from any major towns so it is very dark at night. At about 9.50 I went outside to the car and immediately I noticed a brilliant shimmering orange/red light at about 300feet and approx one mile distance coming towards me as if going to pass overhead. It was the size of half a full moon and as bright as a car headlight would be at that range. It continued then stopped. It remained still at about 400ft just half a mile away for over five minutes, below cloud. Then it dimmed and changed colour to red and moved about 10 degrees right where it stopped again and hovered. All in all I watched it for over 10 minutes. I got it in a pair of high quality 10x binocualars and in them it was not a single light but two rows of about 6 smaller lights which looked as if they may be part of a larger rectangular object

I saw it well, in binoculars and for over 10 minutes at close range. I don't know what it was but it wasn't a lantern or helicopter.

A family saw similar some time ago near here driving late at night and watched it for half an hour till they became scared. Lanterns DO NOT last for half an hour, that's evidence enough in itself!!

I don't have to read all these reports to make up my mind!

These types of lanterns can travel for up to 15 miles they are launched into light winds SO could easily last half an hour.

The real problem is to many people WANT it to be true you just have to look at many of the threads on here to see how many videos have been found out to be birds,the sun, mylar balloons etc ,etc .
I to want to see the real deal but I look at what things could be first of all once they are rejected then maybe we will have found something , to many on here live in LALA land which seems to be a nice place for them, I want to see the TRUTH the REAL TRUTH even if it proves that NO ufo's exist!

Read my sig for some real good advice.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by wmd_2008]

[edit on 4-6-2009 by wmd_2008]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebox
How very bizarre -

50 mysterious orange UFOs cross the night sky

Chinese Lanterns?

Well...

According to your link there is this statement...

Last night it emerged a woman has contacted her local newspaper to claim that the lights over Lincoln were Chinese lanterns – mini hot air balloons – set off at her wedding reception.

'They looked amazing, hope you all enjoyed the spectacle,' she said.

Nick Pope, the former head of the MoD's UFO Project, supported the Chinese lantern theory.

I suppose that isn't relevant?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I agree MANY of these sightings are just lanterns, as are the videos. The Czech ones on here certainly are as are quite a few of the recent UK ones in the press. Weed these out though and there seems to be something else. What I saw wasn't a lantern, I saw it VERY clearly. It could well have been a natural phenomena which to me is just as fascinating, I am not at all trying to prove it was "alien", just would like an answer.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
They do look like chinese lanterns but who knows what they could be.

Alien Mind

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Originally posted by cmazzagatti
I have a question. Why does it seem like "chinese lanterns" are confined to England, a country with coincidently the highest number of UFO sightings in the world? Since when has firing up Chinese lanterns ever been a tradition in England anyways? When were these lanterns even invented? I live in the US and I've never seen anyone use or even talk about them at all here, nor in any other part of the world.

This leads to my main point; you have to wonder whether the people who invented these "lanterns" did so with the intention of purposely distorting the phenomenon, because the REAL UFO/alien orbs look almost exactly alike from a distance. Ask ufoorbhunter.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by cmazzagatti]

Very large Chinese population in the UK almost every major city in the uk has a chinatown district!

Um, and you don't think there are large Chinese populations in every other city on the planet? Yet, for some reason, the "Chinese lantern" phenomena seems to be isolated to certain areas in England. That doesn't make any sense at all. You would think that these lanterns would get filmed in all parts of the world for the sheer amount of curiousity they cause.

You want to know why? Because somewhere along the history of England, some random resident witnessed REAL UFO orbs (some of them are also orange), as evidenced by my last post where I posted the M.O.D. case document and ancient woodcut pamphlet depicting similar colored UFOs. Enamored with the sighting, the resdient tried to identify the objects with his limited earthly understanding and probably believed they were chinese lanterns. He went out and bought some, released them one night, caught the attention of OTHER enamored English residents which also went out and bought some, and the tradition therein spread like a wildfire. The end result now is that people can't tell the difference between the REAL UFOs and Chinese lanterns.

The same thing happened with the crop circles: the "original" creators were infact ETs, but people eventually caught on to the phenomena and started making their own. As the man-made circles grew in number, it's now almost impossible to differentiate between the real anmd fake designs.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The correct term for these toys is SKY LANTERNS. The so-called Chinese Lantern is actually a different thing, essentially used as a lighting source.

Releasing Sky Lanterns for spectacle and good luck is not restricted to Chinese communities in the UK or any other country. They are a historic mode of celebration in most far eastern countries. Anyone who's seen them on YouTube will know what a visual impact they can provide. It's only natural that people will want them for their parties, barbeques, etc. They are readily available on eBay and are sold in vast numbers for celebrating weddings, birthdays, etc. Just type 'sky lanterns' into eBay and find out for yourself. However, the UK population as a whole is still relatively unfamiliar with them, in spite of growing popularity. So, whenever someone releases a stream of lanterns after a wedding celebration, so the local press reports yet another UFO mystery. What a farce!

As to those who state that sky lanterns don't do this or don't do that, all I can say is go and watch some in real life. I can assure them that lanterns do very strange things indeed once subject to the ever changing breezes. They are lighter than air objects, so they really do move at air speed. They also rise and fall with remarkable velocity, just like a feather would. They last for a good 20 minutes and can attain heights of several thousand feet. They invariable appear an orange colour due to the flaming wick. I guess the UK and eventually the US population will become familiar with these floating gizmos, but until they do, people with more imagination than common sense will continue assigning them a character that's unexplained and inexplicable.

WG3

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by waveguide3
The correct term for these toys is SKY LANTERNS. The so-called Chinese Lantern is actually a different thing, essentially used as a lighting source.

Releasing Sky Lanterns for spectacle and good luck is not restricted to Chinese communities in the UK or any other country. They are a historic mode of celebration in most far eastern countries. Anyone who's seen them on YouTube will know what a visual impact they can provide. It's only natural that people will want them for their parties, barbeques, etc. They are readily available on eBay and are sold in vast numbers for celebrating weddings, birthdays, etc. Just type 'sky lanterns' into eBay and find out for yourself. However, the UK population as a whole is still relatively unfamiliar with them, in spite of growing popularity. So, whenever someone releases a stream of lanterns after a wedding celebration, so the local press reports yet another UFO mystery. What a farce!

As to those who state that sky lanterns don't do this or don't do that, all I can say is go and watch some in real life. I can assure them that lanterns do very strange things indeed once subject to the ever changing breezes. They are lighter than air objects, so they really do move at air speed. They also rise and fall with remarkable velocity, just like a feather would. They last for a good 20 minutes and can attain heights of several thousand feet. They invariable appear an orange colour due to the flaming wick. I guess the UK and eventually the US population will become familiar with these floating gizmos, but until they do, people with more imagination than common sense will continue assigning them a character that's unexplained and inexplicable.

WG3

Well you seem to be quite sure of yourself. However, you have yet to answer the questions I posed in the fist paragraph of my last post. Why is it that in no other area of the world do these "sky lanterns" seem to get filmed? They obviously are a cause of great mystery and curiousity to the unknowing eye, so you would expect more sightings and videos emerging from all parts of the world, yet the sightings seem are isolated to certain areas in Engand, specifically to ancient religious monument sites likes Stonehenge and Arbow Low in Derbyshire. You don't find this the leadt bit strange?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by cmazzagatti]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmazzagattiWell you seem to be quite sure of yourself.

Yep. I've attended parties where they were released. I've released them myself and I've watched what they do in the night sky. Every video of multiple orange lights floating in lines, in triangle formation, zooming upwards at impossible speeds, etc, etc. all look exactly like the sky lanterns I have witnessed. If it quacks like a duck, - well you know.

Why is it that in no other area of the world do these "sky lanterns" seem to get filmed? They obviously are a cause of great mystery and curiousity to the unknowing eye, so you would expect more sightings and videos emerging from all parts of the world,

I guess in countries where they are more commonly used (all Asian and far east countries) why would people bother to video them? In other countries, I suspect they are still rather novel and rare. The UK has only just latched onto them in recent times. That's probably why the UK seems awash with sightings. In reality, they are still pretty uncommon.

yet the sightings seem are isolated to certain areas in Engand, specifically to ancient religious monument sites likes Stonehenge and Arbow Low in Derbyshire.

I don't think that's true in reality. They are seen quite randomly across the country. It's the press who make the connections and people with a big imagination.

You don't find this the leadt bit strange?

Not really. A few lanterns and a spooky site are always good for circulation.

WG3

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Another explanation has come to light, after a person discovering a burst balloon and a red LED light on the pavement near his home: www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by waveguide3

Please don't beleieve that these ufo orbs don't exist. Sure some may be the lanterns or marsh gas, but some are very real like the ones I filmed and used for my avatar. Oh and they're not all orange. They come in many colours and usually travel in pairs.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoorbhunter. Sure some may be the lanterns or marsh gas, but some are very real like the ones I filmed and used for my avatar.

Your avatar clearly shows several spherical objects floating over a field. Is this a still from that film/video? If so where can I view it?

I have watched your early morning video where you shine a torch at distant lights, but nothing of this clarity. This event (your avatar) seems to have happened at a different time. Can you describe what happened?

WG3

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RiotComing
Another explanation has come to light, after a person discovering a burst balloon and a red LED light on the pavement near his home:

I find that explanation quite implausible. The light emitted by a typical LED is miniscule and would not be visible from 100 feet away, never mind several thousand. Obviously, this contraption was supposed to create a floating red light, but it's effectiveness in attracting an audience would hardly be worth the effort expended in its construction.

WG3

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That 'statement' was added to the article after I posted it. Regardless, there are still unconfirmed reports of 'lantern-like' objects infesting the British skies.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cmazzagatti

YOU HAVE NO PROOF repeat PROOF of cropcircles being made by ET'S you guys make me
Just because you make a statement like that its true yeh right!
So Santa's real, the Easter Bunny the Bogeyman (Boogeyman) want some more!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

No no no, you have no proof -- he does, and as I also found out, you can too if you make the effort to find it instead of wasting time getting angry with people on here.

Luckily, I also KNOW (note the emphasis) that parts of the crop circle mystery are ET communication. I can't provide you the proof because it would mean mentioning names of former high-ranking NSA operatives, but take it as you will. You can either disregard this, you can choose to believe it blindly, or you can do what any smart person would and take the role of detective to try find these things out for yourself.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join