reply to post by PowerSlave
Soetoro signed him up to those schools against the laws at the time, and evidently had to lie. I dont blame soetoro though, school is important, and
given the strict laws I guess the lying on the school registration were necessary.
Obama never gave up his American natural born citizenship, neither did he loose it. But how was Obama then able to attend primary school there? The
truth of matter is that his step father at the time probably lied and made some agreement with the school there fo his attendence. Maybe the
assumption of Obama leaving back to Hawaii in anycase had dawned on Anne Dunham and Lolo Soetoro. Ofcourse young Obama had no control over the laws
been broken at the time, just like he had no control to inheriting his unique cultural heritage.
Considering the other scenarios had these current laws in the US constitution not existed;
Indonesian citizenship is given to:
1. A child born of the marriage of an Indonesian couple;
2. A child born of the marriage of an Indonesian man and foreign woman -- the status of which does not cause dual citizenship;
3. A child born of the marriage of a foreign man and Indonesian woman, both of whom request Indonesian citizenship for their child -- the status of
which does not cause dual citizenship;
4. A child born to an unmarried Indonesian woman, the status of which does not cause dual citizenship;
5. A child born in Indonesian territory that is not provided with citizenship by his or her parents;
6. A child born in Indonesian territory whose parents are unknown;
7. A child born in Indonesian territory whose parents have no citizenship.
Citizenship is automatically granted to those children 5years and under in the case of marriage or adoption. Other than that there must be a 5year
time span in Indonesia if citizenship is to be granted. Obama does not apply in this case, as I said before, because he came to Indonesia at the age
of 6years and left at 10. Obama started school at the age of 6, not 5.
So in this scenario he never attained Indonesian citizenship. Source: Draft revision of citizenship law No. 62/1958 of the Indonesian constitution. In
the applicant should have no other nationality or should lose his/her previous nationality upon acquiring the Indonesian nationality or the applicant
should expressly renounce his/her previous nationality according to the laws applicable to him/her
(it says 2006 but the laws are in reference to past laws, in particular those during the 70's and 60's)
No proof that Soetoro adopted Obama, neither would he have lost his natural born citizenship in anycase. But under the laws at the time, Obama would
have had to reside in Indonesia for atleast 5 years before given the opportunity to apply, and in order to become an Indonesian citizen he would
have had to give up his american citizenship because they did not recognize dual citizenship, yet no proof of that has been shown.
[edit on 2-6-2009 by Southern Guardian]