It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WORLD: Korea Showdown - Latest News and Updates.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

Ever come in mind that Kim is already dead and the military (all hardliners) are now in power seats?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by truttseeker

While i am also pretty sure NK hasn't even mastered nukes let alone on a warhead or artillery we cannot rule this possibility out. I mean if NK did have some sort of warhead technology the US would know about it but whether they would let this info become public is doubtful. That would cause mass panic.

Still i severely doubt they do have that yet although they will soon, only a matter of time.

NK's power is in their tunnels and huge amount of artillery built into caves all pointing over the DMZ. For a fact SK are very worried also about the 2500km length tunnels built under the DMZ and along it.

If there is a war (which there won't be barring a big escalation) then i really think US and SK forces will struggle against the NK forces. There army is out dated but not as much as people like to think ( they have networked artillery units and fibre optic connections to control AA sites)

The big advantage they have is the mountainous terrain of NK has literally allowed them to dig in and build up all their defences into caves and undergroumd for the last 50 years.

A conservative estimate by an independent group of analysts on NK about 4 years back concluded they have about 15,000 heavy artillery pieces as well as around 2000 underground local military HQ's.

Their weakness is their navy which is pretty poor by 21st century standards. That is where opposing forces would have a big advantage in a would-be conflict.

On a side note i actually think Obama is handling this well at the moment, he isn't even giving NK any attention they crave. Obviously if things escalate then he has to be prepared to use military force but until we actually have use it, his way of doing things is right and may stop us from attacking without need.

link   

As I understand it, the state news agency IS the NK dictatorship.
The country IS run by the military.

Kim is the Military leader.

From what I know of NK, they have three TV stations, all government controlled and all showing looped footage of their "Dear Leader" repeatedly. It is pure propaganda, solely used as a tool to tell the people what they want them to believe about the world and their country.

They have access to six sites on the internet, all government controlled, everything else is blocked. Again, this is merely another tool to dictate to the people what the government wants them to believe.

Then you have to bear in mind that the vast (VAST) majority of NK people don't have internet access anyway.

That is why I believe that their posturing (if that is all it is) is for the sole benefit of the international community and not their people. The only way they would know about anything is when their leaders tell them.
The US has stated that this might be for the benefit of their own people, but they could state that they'd nuked SK already and their people would accept and believe it.

link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
Well considering I'm in the navy, and live on a pretty big naval base, and am also next to a heavy airlift squadron, we would have heard if the defcon changed. We would definitely know if it changed, because it is a big deal.

semper fi!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by emergencyresponseteam

Ever come in mind that Kim is already dead and the military (all hardliners) are now in power seats?

Yes, absolutely.

All of this started just after it was reported that Kim had suffered a stroke.
It began with the closure of the joint industrial zone and went on from there.

We also have to remember that they released a photo of Kim at this time in an effort to convince the world that he was still in power, but the photo was clearly a fake (I could do better in paint).

I completely believe that he is either dead or incapacitated, and that there is (or was) an internal struggle for power within the party.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Question to the military guys and gals..

how many of you are on Alert?

Whats your MOS?

tried to edit this..

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Adrifter]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by emergencyresponseteam

Hooyah,

But I dont think youre going to see a major US ground engagement. I think youre going to see the US navy and US air force in their prime, doing exactly what they were meant to do. The artillery is indeed a HUGE concern, but its fixed. Like you said its in caves, and were going to see their positions, so they have about 5 shots a piece before something hits them, Im not saying were going to stomp all over them at first, but I guarantee you'll see the North Korean threat drop down very rapidly. SK is a very very well equipped force.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adrifter
Question to the military guys and gals..

how many of you are on Alert?

Its still Yellow (Elevated) pretty much for me.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
yeah, nothing out of the norm here, and havent heard anything from any of my buddies.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by truttseeker

hey this site i will link to is not known for its crediblity but it has a very detailed report, took about 10 mins to read, on NK's capabilities in 2003.

Please note i am sure its over hyped and it is very biased as you will see but it gives some indication of their strengths and weaknesses.

Link

[edit on 29-5-2009 by jonny2410]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

whats your MOS?

A US alert is basically you get the call you go. No uh, levels of Alert..

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

whats your MOS?

35L

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

when did you re-enlist?

nice mos..

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

when did you re-enlist?

nice mos..

Why you wanna know? Are you active?

well, CISAC was long time ago

[edit on 29-5-2009 by emergencyresponseteam]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

nope, and thats a special MOS..

that's why I asked.

james bond....

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker

Hooyah,

But I dont think youre going to see a major US ground engagement. I think youre going to see the US navy and US air force in their prime, doing exactly what they were meant to do. The artillery is indeed a HUGE concern, but its fixed. Like you said its in caves, and were going to see their positions, so they have about 5 shots a piece before something hits them, Im not saying were going to stomp all over them at first, but I guarantee you'll see the North Korean threat drop down very rapidly. SK is a very very well equipped force.

This is what I've been saying all along, the main problem is Seoul being held hostage. But with enough fire-power those could all be taken out within a couple of hours. There would certainly be a lot of destruction of Seoul and many deaths, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the level that some are assuming.
Once the attack on Seoul is stopped, the joint forces could systematically destroy the military infrastructure of NK while maintaining border security to prevent a ground attack or mass migration of civilians.

After that, allow SK and Japan to move forces into NK, and simply provide them with tactical and intelligence support as they deal with what's left of the NK military might.

The only thing that remains an unknown is the underground sites and the supposed tunnels.

I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. One look at Google, and if you zoom in on the air strip near the SK border, there is a massive military underground structure with a tunnel entrance at each end. This thing is miles across. And off of the runway is at least one other subterranean entrance. No planes can be seen, presumably they are hidden below ground.

But I have yet to see any indication of these famous tunnels under the border.

Anyone have any info on this?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Thats an interesting read jonny but a lot of it is overhyped. The thing is that total war is the exact kind of war the US war machine was designed to fight. Im pretty sure AMRAAM's have a longer range than 50km. They never once mentioned the SK air forces that would be helping the US troops. The last thing that really kind of takes the credibility away is the NK strategy to destroy the US...not going to happen.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

nope, and thats a special MOS..

that's why I asked.

james bond....

Nah, nothing near ole bond. Coming from Operations Research Analyst branch.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Just war stories from the 38th parrellel how those tunnels are feared..

from back in the 70's...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

reply to post by detachedindividual

Just war stories from the 38th parrellel how those tunnels are feared..

from back in the 70's...

My dad was a tunnelrat in 'nam. Crazy stories
There credo Non gratum anus rodentum - Not worth a rats ass

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join