It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WORLD: Korea Showdown - Latest News and Updates.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Breaking: US Army moves to DEFCON 2

Sources close to MiNa claim the US Army has moved their alert level to Defcon 2. This was initiated by the alarming situation in North Korea. The US Army has over 35,000 troops stationed in South Korea, well within reach of North Korean convential weapons.

North Korea has the largest artillery force (can be equipped with nuclear warheads) in the world, which adds more to the already tense situation.

Earlier today, N. Korea's leader Kim Jong issued threaths to the South Korean and US Navy ships for coming too close to North Korea's territorial waters. The South Koreans and the Americans, may be positioning themselves for a preemptive strike.

macedoniaonline.eu...

The next Defcon is all out war!!! This is what the Cuban missile crisis came to.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Sky watcher]

This news is a couple of days old and has already been rubbished. They haven't moved to DEFCON 2 at all - they've moved their surveillance rating (can't remember what it's called now) to level 2, which is very different and totally expected. DEFCON is still sitting at 4

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by F15-Pilot
All eyes need to be focused on the Mideast where the real threat of war lies. If you're waiting for war in Korea then you are going to be disappointed. There are other reasons behind why NK is doing what it is doing but it certainly isn't to start a war with the U.S. They are putting on a show for their own people - period. There is nothing else to be read into this and this is why we won't be sending more military support to the region.

WW3 will ignite in the Mideast and it could take place in our very near future. Tensions in the Mideast are as high as they have ever been. With intense pressure put on Israel by the world to accept a two-state solution - which Israel says isn't going to happen - so that peace may finally be achieved, and the threat of Iran developing nukes which would be used against Israel, something is going to break soon. The likely scenario will be that Israel attacks Iran's nuke sites and then the Mideast turns into a fireball. Russia built Iran's reactor and Iran and Russia are close allies. A few months ago, Russia stated in the press that an attack against Iran is an attack against them and they will respond accordingly.

Also keep your eyes on the Georgia and UK regions. Russia is upset that we are in their backyard holding war games with NATO and Georgia. Georgia and UK both used to be part of the Soviet Union before it collapsed in 1991 and as far as they are concerned, they are still theirs - unofficially. Russia is upset that UK wants to join NATO. NATO is a threat to Russia's plans to once again take back what they lost in 1991. Russia wants to expand even further out than where they were before. The Russian "bear" has come out of hibernation and they are also going to play a huge role in the Mideast conflict. And then there is the possibility of a conflict between Russia and Poland if we go ahead with our installation of the missile defense shield there - which we say we are still going to do. And don't forget about Russia's threats of shutting off gas supplies to the UK and EU nations again.

You could just go on and on about where the potential for a major conflict will flare up next but there isn't enough room here to discuss them all. But keep your eyes on Israel and Iran. If there is anything to be said about what is happening in NK right now, however, it would be that this COULD increase Israel's urgency on when they should attack the Iranian nuke facilities. Iran and NK have long been partners in developing their nuclear programs and it is more than likely that Iranian's were present during this latest nuke test.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.reuters.com...
en.wikipedia.org...(country)
www.voanews.com...
www.atimes.com...

As you will see from the following link, what NK is doing now is nothing new which is why we are seeing the non-response we are seeing in the current situation. This isn't the first time for this.

www.cfr.org...

Don't want to derail the thread and go off topic but just wanted to point out that UK stands for United Kingdom (Great Britain). I assume you meant Ukraine and I haven't got a clue what their abbreviation is but it's most definitely not UK.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

Sources close to MiNa claim the US Army has moved their alert level to Defcon 2. This was initiated by the alarming situation in North Korea. The US Army has over 35,000 troops stationed in South Korea, well within reach of North Korean convential weapons.

North Korea has the largest artillery force (can be equipped with nuclear warheads) in the world, which adds more to the already tense situation.

Earlier today, N. Korea's leader Kim Jong issued threaths to the South Korean and US Navy ships for coming too close to North Korea's territorial waters. The South Koreans and the Americans, may be positioning themselves for a preemptive strike.

macedoniaonline.eu...

The next Defcon is all out war!!! This is what the Cuban missile crisis came to.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Sky watcher]

This news is a couple of days old and has already been rubbished. They haven't moved to DEFCON 2 at all - they've moved their surveillance rating (can't remember what it's called now) to level 2, which is very different and totally expected. DEFCON is still sitting at 4

Just to further discredit that article, North Korea doesnt even have the technology to stick a nuclear warhead on a ballistic missile, let alone an artillery shell. This is a perfect example of how rumors start and people start to panic over something thats really nothing. Good find though.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Well it looks like we will talk this one out.

Diplomacy only works if both sides are willing to compromise for peace. North Korea obviously doesn't want that since they pulled out of the armistice agreement.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom

North Korea obviously doesn't want that since they pulled out of the armistice agreement.

Urghh.

They did not pull the armistice agreement. They threatened to.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1

Sources close to MiNa claim the US Army has moved their alert level to Defcon 2. This was initiated by the alarming situation in North Korea. The US Army has over 35,000 troops stationed in South Korea, well within reach of North Korean convential weapons. Blah, blah, blah ...

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.

Why?

1) The North Koreans DO NOT have a nuclear capable artillery shell.

2) Defcon 2 would be impossible to keep secret without the world press going bananas.

Talk about your fear mongers, knock it off already.

I think that article mixed their facts up with the raised level of WATCHCON thursday and not DEFCON. We are defintely not at DEFCON 2 and will not be unless there is a military confrontation.

As for nuclear warheads, I severely doubt NK has these but they cannot be ruled out. It would be a massive surprise though.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

North Korea obviously doesn't want that since they pulled out of the armistice agreement.

Urghh.

Now go back and take care of your 34 kids LOL.

Cool it ok?

Realistically now that NK has stated that they will not abide by the armistice it is completely void although they will not actually violate it unless they are attacked or their ships searched etc.

But bottom line is now that NK has said they wont comply with it, no matter what it is completely useless now. (however we must take into account to be fair to both sides that if US or SK troops searched NK vessels they would be technically in the small print violating the armistice as well.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
From one source who have relatives in SK...

Good News: South Koreans don't protest against the American military in South Korea that much anymore.
Sort of Bad News: They protest the current president instead of protesting American military instead.
More Bad News: It seems that South Korea will have gigantic civil conflict soon. Extremely worst case scenario is when a South Korean military battalion will revolt against Seoul.

Strange, it seems that Kim Jong-Il's nuclear test is more about encouraging a civil war in South Korea.

Reunification throught coup d'état in SK?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
it has been said earlier in this thread. NK doesn't realy have anything we need or they would have be "liberated" a while ago. I would not be surprised if Kim is dead and the millitary has taken control. None of their moves seem well thought out. From a strategic standpoint they have slapped the biggest kid on the playground in the face a few times and the big kid feels sorry for the limited mentality displayed. So no fight. Just my take on it.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

U.S. officials believe that North Korea is planning to launch long-range missiles, sources tell the AP

WASHINGTON -- U.S. officials say there are new signs North Korea may be planning even more missile launches in a show of strength following worldwide condemnation of its underground nuclear test.

The North fired a short-range missile on Friday _ the sixth this week.

Perhaps more significantly, officials say there are indications of increased activity at a site used to fire long-range missiles.

link

Satellite spots activity at North Korean missile site, officials say

U.S. satellite imagery has spotted "vehicle activity" at a North Korean ballistic missile site, two Defense Department officials said Friday.
This activity is similar to that before a long-range missile launch by North Korea earlier this year

Link

Interesting developments - if NK don't give enough pre warning to this supposed long range missile launch then chances are if it crosses over Japan (like the one in April) it will be shot down.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

Urghh.

They did not pull the armistice agreement. They threatened to.[edit on 29-5-2009 by AllexxisF1]

I would say to you that this a a bit more than a threat

Pyongyang, May 29 (Prensa Latina) The Foreign Ministry of the People''s Democratic Republic of Korea (PDRK) says the UN Security Council made it annul the Armistice on the Korean Peninsula.
source and comments like the rest of your post could make you" no more"

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Interesting developments - if NK don't give enough pre warning to this supposed long range missile launch then chances are if it crosses over Japan (like the one in April) it will be shot down.

IMO Japan should bomb the long range missile before it goes in the air.

What's NK gonna do? Attack Japan with their third world navy? Shoot ONE missile at Japan? They won't do anything. They won't be able to.

They can't reach Japan with short range missiles, launching long range missiles is LONG and they can't do it (as far as we know)from underground.

But in any situation, this is bad... Kim Jong Il can't stand down or he will lose face and his succession at the same time. So if we escalate with sanctions and boarding of ships, NK will escalate too.... until we come to war. Hopefully, NK will prefer losing succession over war.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by paradiselost333

Urghh.

They did not pull the armistice agreement. They threatened to.[edit on 29-5-2009 by AllexxisF1]

I would say to you that this a a bit more than a threat

Pyongyang, May 29 (Prensa Latina) The Foreign Ministry of the People''s Democratic Republic of Korea (PDRK) says the UN Security Council made it annul the Armistice on the Korean Peninsula.
source and comments like the rest of your post could make you" no more"

No there is no confusion about this. North Korea threatened to pull the armistice. They have not pulled it nor announced that they have. Because they would have to go to the U.N. and make their declaration heard officially.

Secondly the rest of my comment was a quick joke to the author to who I was quoting. That person's name was Octomom. I have sinced removed it because apparently some people don't get a simple joke.

Moreover I don't appreciate the threat.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

No, my handle is octotom.
Geesh.

If you looked at the day that I registered, I predate "octomom" by nearly two years.

I think that the "no more" comment was more a statement to protect you than a threat. The higher ups could see what you said as violating the T&C, as it could be perceived to be personally attacking another member, which could get you band.

Anyway, back to North Korea...

[edit on 5/29/2009 by octotom]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Is this a freaking joke?:

Source Fri May 29, 2009

BO is weak, he will do nothing.

Remember, peace at ALL costs, right kids?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

Perhaps Obama is thinking that, if he doesn't care about it, it isn't really happening and if something is happening, it'll go away because he doesn't care about it.

After all, the security on the internet is more important that neutralizing a situation that could end the internet.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
obama is too gullible .. once NK does something he never expects he will # in his pants.

he needs to toughen up we aint talking about grenades here people.. besides 1 nuke hits SK and you will see a Asian war and if Russia gets involved then ww3 will begin , also that will let Israel wipe out irans nukes .

Is it me or im starting to think bush was better at securing USA then obama is?

You know guys i think we in the USA are in a bigger shi**ole with the economy then we might think. Maybe that's why obama wont do nothing , i actually am starting to think that we are very vulnerable at this time.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by rami2012]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

No there is no confusion about this. North Korea threatened to pull the armistice. They have not pulled it nor announced that they have. Because they would have to go to the U.N. and make their declaration heard officially.

Ahem:

Fears have increased of military skirmishes, particularly in disputed waters off the western coast, after North Korea conducted the nuclear test on Monday and then renounced the truce that has kept peace between the Koreas since the Korean War ended in 1953.

I feel safer already:

"I don't think that anybody in the (Obama) administration thinks there is a crisis," Gates told reporters aboard his military jet early Friday.

NKorea test-fires missile, slams Security Council

Yep, we're in very good hands... luckily we elected the most experienced, accomplished and unapologetically American president in history!

Errrr... um... hmmm...

D'Oh!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Urghh.

You don't cancel an agreement in writing, you denounce it publicly and therefore it no longer exists. NK has done this already, stating that it no longer holds to the armistice.

What they have threatened is an an immediate military attack should any of their vessels be stopped and searched.

Edit:
NK wouldn't go to the UN to "discuss" ending the armistice, they already see the UN as an idiot bunch who are powerless to do anything of real value.
They, like much of the world, no not respect anything the UN states, because it is, pretty much, pointless.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by detachedindividual]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I have a feeling that NK see's USA as a weak target at the moment.
11.8 trillion in debt, financial market is crap , a lot of major USA companies are declaring bankruptcy , half of our military is at war as we speak.

Obama needs a slap on the head, NK isn't playing games no more. We tried to speak to them and fix this issue for years now.

I don't think NK will attack anyone. But we will see in a few more weeks what will go down.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join