It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea: No longer bound by 1953 truce

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
reply to post by infinite

In the end, you and I both know that North Korea will be wiped of the map, and South Korea will suffer massive causalities if a war breaks out.

All it will take is a hard line squad of NK troops to open fire on the U.S. Marines on that border and the jar heads will open up with everything they have laying waste to most of North Korea's front lines. They will not and do not have to wait for orders from a man who is not legally their president. While that goes on the U.S. Air Force and Marines with their tactical nukes will finish the job. War looks imminent.

SK can be assured that the U.S. will not let its Marines fall and Japan will get into this full tilt should war break out if we leave them anyone to fight.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
SK can be assured that the U.S. will not let its Marines fall and Japan will get into this full tilt should war break out if we leave them anyone to fight.

The reality of this war, is exactly that it will be over as quickly as it started. Tactically, all North Korea can really do is a massive first-strike missile and artillery barrage.

Kind of a one time deal where they just launch it all at once. And for obvious reasons, everything after that will simply be their destruction. North Korea probably knows it cannot win this war, all it can do is try to cause as much damage while there equipment still exists, before it all gets destroyed.

This won't be a long war, especially if lil' kim is crazy enough to use nukes. In the end, what ever the worse case scenario is, I know I won't be traveling to that region for some time.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Was a piece on Sky News earlier about this, the 1953 truce stated that no one would stop any other persons shipping, and to do so would cause a break in the truce, so technically the US and South Korea have broken the terms of the truce by stopping North Korea's shipping.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Not necessarily, chances are the North Korean's are two moves ahead, their forces are prob. in bunkers, within mountains etc. etc. blue 82's would be in need to get down to those military bunkers. Which makes the strategy. Roll out their Rocket battalions launch them then roll them back into the bunkers. Yet if their all hunkered down hurling rockets at South Korea, where are our targets? IF it starts it will prob be something like that. Korea is not a dessert. hopefully this all just settles down..

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well this is very disturbing to me, personally, as I have family in Seoul and other parts of South Korea. It is a wonderful, wonderful country, and it is horrible to see it threatened so. My wife and son will be going to South Korea in two weeks- I honestly hope nothing happens.

What really has me concerned is that for the past 10 years, there have been many, many cycles of this ramped up rhetoric from the North Koreans. And my wife's family has been unconcerned by any of it- they have been aware of what was happening, but never felt like there was any danger that something bad would happen. And so far, they have been right. But they are freaking out right now. I will be in South Korea in a month. If the war is on, I will be there fighting for the South in any way I can.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Adrifter

Again on Sky News earlier they stated that North Korea has around 10k artillery pieces reputedly well entrenched in the mountains just north of Seoul, this amount of weaponry surely wouldn't take that long to flatten a city and would cause a problem for any troops trying to push north?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I bet Obama is on the phone right now to Team America.....Put the F back in freedom.....F yeah!

On a more serious note......How many years do you think the NKs have been prepared for an event such as this?
We have a tech advantage and experienced troops but my thoughts are that the NK troops have a greater advantage with local knowledge and troop numbers! More than likely lots of bunkers everywhere etc! We couldnt do it in the 50s so what are our chances now? Yeah the Chinesse did help first time round but would they intervene now?
So many questions but not enough answers

We have still not defeated insurgents in Iraq and the Taliban seem to grow in numbers every day!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
reply to post by Adrifter

Again on Sky News earlier they stated that North Korea has around 10k artillery pieces reputedly well entrenched in the mountains just north of Seoul, this amount of weaponry surely wouldn't take that long to flatten a city and would cause a problem for any troops trying to push north?

I read somewhere that the NKs could cause so much damage to Seoul before anybody could do anything about it.......estimated 600,000 within the first hour!
Think i may have seen it on another thread......

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
War is highly unlikely, more rattling via the North Koreans.

Unlike the Korean War of the 1950s, the Chinese will not be providing military support to their Communist neighbours. Unless Kim Jong Il is dead, military leaders would not be launching strikes on South Korea.

Infinite is correct here. The North Koreans want to be on the top of Obama's agenda. Up until a couple of days ago, they weren't... and that bothers them They want to be recognized and they want to be taken seriously. Lil' Kim's Napoleon complex is stamped all over NK's political and military moves.

These recent actions provide two positive outcomes for NK... it forces the West to move into appeasement (more free stuff for more NK empty promises) and it helps pave the way for the transition of power to Kim's son.

I've said this in other threads and I stand by it... NK does not want a hot war. What they want is aid and engagement, and tantrums are their main tactic to achieve this without losing face. They'll poke and prod and provoke, but they'll never cross the border. Heck, they really don't even have to. According to Jane's Defense (sorry for the lack of link, I read it on a news site yesterday, but forget which), NK is capable of up to 500 rounds of artillery/minute on Seoul.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
CEASE FIRE IS OVER

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3358269443a.jpg[/atsimg]

I think it's time for Obama to make use of his 3 AM Phone Call option.

Gotta call someone with some REAL experience (not just community organizer experience) to help get us out of this pickle. Obviously Obama's 'lets all chat and get along' policy isn't working.

Originally posted by angel999
I bet Obama is on the phone right now to Team America.....Put the F back in freedom.....F yeah!

I loved that movie. I couldn't believe it ... but I loved it.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by angel999

It can be countered. carpet bombing which would cost more to do, not to mention high civilian loss, which would be a political outcry to the North. Politically and Conventionally the North is well positioned. In my opinion, The only flaw would be the attack on South Korea, something would have to provoke it, North Korea is not stupid, and neither are their friends. If North Korea looks like the bad guy attacking South Korea, they'll lose friends. Which is why the politics around this right now are important. Thats why they jumped on the act of war statement from south, if south boards a North Korean ship that might be what it would take. The North would save face as well. Again speculating is not helpful nor healthy, lets just hope all turns out well. North Korea wants respect. We just have to find a way to give to them yet at the same time maintain the stability and peace in that region and others as well.. DEFINITELY a high powered situation where the powers that be in the world are paying attention to.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Adrifter]

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Adrifter]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
Was a piece on Sky News earlier about this, the 1953 truce stated that no one would stop any other persons shipping, and to do so would cause a break in the truce, so technically the US and South Korea have broken the terms of the truce by stopping North Korea's shipping.

Well your probably right but back then they did not have to worry about them selling a nuke to the highest Iranian bidder. Our satellites will pick them up moving anything in prep for war so should they want to play we will have plenty of time to move B-2s and Ohio subs to their stand off range. You can bet the subs are already in range. Heck two Trident missiles will finish the job. Marines can crater every mountain face with a tactical nuke if they want too so NK would not stand a chance.

I know the Marines are well prepared there and have built a kill zone miles deep. NK would be foolish to try them. My buddy sat on that boarder locked and loaded for days on end. He caught a NK spook trying to cross the boarder with his sights and upon orders sliced that guy in half years ago.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Heck two Trident missiles will finish the job. Marines can crater every mountain face with a tactical nuke if they want too so NK would not stand a chance.

While that is most definitely the case, SK would be calling the shots and nukes are probably most definitely the last resort for a couple of reasons. The immediate being dangerous fallout blowing back onto their major population centers. Also, once nukes start flying, NK civilians either die, or rush the borders to escape the war.

Finally, everyone is fully aware that NK would have to be rebuilt and repopulated. As it is, the financial burden on the world, and especially on the South, would be far greater than what Germany had to endure during their reunification. Adding nuclear devistation and clean-up to the mix would make vast areas of the North a dead zone... and eventually ruinous to a relatively healthy and vibrant SK economy.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The thing to be concerned about now comes down to motivation. If Lil' Kim is really on his last legs medically speaking, his motivation may be at an all time high. We aren't talking about a man who wants his country taken seriously as a economic giant. He wants his country known as a BAD MOFO.

He may be just rattling his sabre, but it's getting louder and louder on an atomic level.

Shot down in a blaze of glory.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
From what I heard on the news, the US has around 30,000 troops stationed in S Korea, add the S Korean Army troop strength of nearly 600,000.

North Korea's Military Ground force strength is estimated to be nearly 1.2 million troops. I feel for our boys on the gound over there. I predict a situation like the Cuban missle crisis, only with bad results. N Korea needs cash to fund it's operation. Iran has cash, but needs nukes. N Korea has those nukes. Expect US ships to surround Korea by sea and attempt shipping embargos against North Korea to prevent the shipment of nukes to Iran. Hopefully China wont allow nukes to be shipped through it's borders over land, but still, just the searching of ships will send Kim Jong into a frenzy. This is why I believe he said any searching and seizure of his "peaceful naval vessels" will be considered an act of war. I believe he's planning on helpingto arm Iran for a joint strike against US forces.

I hope I'm wrong.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
At first when all this started i thought it would be like everything else, idle threats that result in absolutely nothing, but now this changes everything. This is very worrying because it seems like N korea really means business. All it takes is one move from either side and its a full scale war.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

You have to understand though, time is running out for ol'Kimmy. His health is failing, there are reports he had a heart attack last year. I mean just look at the recent pictures of the guy. He doesnt look to good.

He sure doesn't. He dropped out of sight completely for abotu 3 months late last summer...calll me overly paranoid since the economy has caused me to change to the generic store brand of tin foil...but Lil Kimmy looks as different as Osama Bin Laden looks different these days!

Seriously I know it sounds crazy but is it posible some bigger driving force behind these things is having a hard time keeping the same people cast in Axis of Evil rolls?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
The thing to be concerned about now comes down to motivation. If Lil' Kim is really on his last legs medically speaking, his motivation may be at an all time high. We aren't talking about a man who wants his country taken seriously as a economic giant. He wants his country known as a BAD MOFO.

He may be just rattling his sabre, but it's getting louder and louder on an atomic level.

Shot down in a blaze of glory.

Not if he seriously wants his kid to take over the joint, he won't. And if his kid seriously wants the job, he won't let the old man do anything to foul up his gig... and right now, due to the Great Leader's failing health, the kid will have way more juice with the sycophants than the old man.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It's funny. Bush named Iran, Iraq, and North Korea as the major threats to world peace, and festering problems that needed to be addressed.

He was flamed all over the place by everyone.

Took out Saddam, but everyone said we didn't have enough stuff to handle Iran and North Korea.

They stalled, and stalled, trying to buy time to complete their programs. Talk is hesitation. Hesitation is cowardice. Cowardice is for prey. And prey are dead.

Two options. We wait for an attack on South Korea and then strike only after they've closed with our own troops and grabbed them by the belt buckle, or you in essence make key North Korean locations part of the world weather system.

And where are the neutron bombs when you REALLY need them?

If you think this is problematic, just wait until Iran gets their nukes.

It alters everything we've ever known about warfare, tactical change, and strategic change.

Talking is good, but anything goes on longer than fifteen minutes, and the rest is a waste of time.

This isn't the end of civilization, but I can see it from where I'm standing.

At least civilization as we know it.

Because no one has the balls to do what is necessary, when it needs doing.

So we wring our hands, we fret and bluster, and just like France and Britain in 1938-39, we're missing our windows of opportunity.

Their hesitation led to 52,000,000 deaths.

That was a drop in the bucket.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by dooper]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join