It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind control through Subliminal Messages; The Skeptics Dictionary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Anything truly below the level of detectable sensation could not, by definition, be perceived. However, the subliminal is generally said to be below the threshold of conscious perception. There is a widespread belief, not strongly supported by empirical research, that without being aware of its presence or content, a person's behavior can be significantly affected by subliminal messages. Thus, it is believed that one can influence behavior by surreptitiously appealing to the subconscious mind with words and images. If this were true, then advertisers could manipulate consumer behavior by hiding subliminal messages in their ads. The government, or Aunt Hilda for that matter, could control our minds and bodies by secretly communicating to us subliminally. Learners could learn while listening to music embedded with subliminal messages.

www.skepdic.com...

The signals and messages we receive today are no longer subtle, silent, or geared to our subconscious. These messages appear on the most popular T. V. shows, at prime times, on Jumbotron screens at national sporting events, on billboards and in print media everywhere in the “globalized world.”

www.senseitalks.com...

The Subliminal Scares

Do hidden stimuli pass stealthily though the doors of perception? If so, do subliminal messages have any effect on the minds they invade? In the late 1950s, the American public was troubled with such questions after concealed ads were reportedly shown to unwitting movie-goers.

www.parascope.com...

From Wikipedia

A subliminal message is a hidden or covert message embedded in another signal, designed to pass below the normal limits of the human consciousness. These messages are unrecognizable by the conscious mind, but in certain situations can affect the subconscious mind and can negatively or positively influence subsequent later thoughts, behaviors, actions, attitudes, belief systems and value systems.

en.wikipedia.org...

Government Mind Control and Subliminal Messages

Uttering the phrase “government mind control” can make you seem like a total nutcase. But as numerous supreme court cases have shown, you’re probably not that nuts.

govtmindcontrol.wordpress.com...

Actual Patents Of Mind Control And Behavior Modification Technology

US PATENT: US5629678:IMPLANTABLE TRANSCEIVER-Apparatus for Tracking And Recovering Humans.

US PATENT --4,717,343 --METHOD OF CHANGING A PERSON'S BEHAVIOR--A method of conditioning a person's unconscious mind in order to effect a desired change in the person's behavior which does not require the services of a trained therapist.

US PATENT FOR BARCODE TATTOO--Method for verifying human identity during electronic sale transactions. A method is presented for facilitating sales transactions by electronic media.

US PATENT 6,051,594 - METHODS AND FORMULATIONS FOR MODULATING THE HUMAN SEXUAL RESPONSE--

US PATENT 5,270,800 --SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE GENERATOR--A combined subliminal and supraliminal message generator for use with a television receiver permits complete control of subliminal messages and their manner of presentation

US PATENT 5,123,899 --METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR ALTERING CONSCIOUSNESS--A system for altering the states of human consciousness involves the simultaneous application of multiple stimuli, preferable sounds, having differing frequencies and wave forms.

US PATENT 5,629,678 - PERSONAL TRACKING AND RECOVERY SYSTEM--Apparatus for tracking and recovering humans utilizes an implantable transceiver incorporating a power supply and actuation system allowing the unit to remain implanted and functional for years without maintenance.

US PATENT 6,011,991--COMMUNICATION SYSTEM AND METHOD INCLUDING BRAIN WAVE ANALYSIS AND/OR USE OF BRAIN ACTIVITY--A system and method for enabling human beings to communicate by way of their monitored brain activity. The brain activity of an individual is monitored and transmitted to a remote location (e.g. by satellite).

US PATENT 5,905,461 - GLOBAL POSITIONING SATELLITE TRACKING DEVICE--A global positioning and tracking system for locating one of a person and item of property.

US PATENT 5,760,692 - INTRA-ORAL TRACKING DEVICE-An intra-oral tracking device adapted for use in association with a tooth having a buccal surface and a lingual surface, the apparatus comprises a tooth mounting member having an inner surface and an outer surface, the inner surface including adhesive material.

US PATENT 6,017,302 - SUBLIMINAL ACOUSTIC MANIPULATION OF NERVOUS SYSTEMS --In human subjects, sensory resonances can be excited by subliminal atmospheric acoustic pulses that are tuned to the resonance frequency.

www.rense.com...

I didn’t get in to the backward masking that music companies use to transmit subliminal messages; although it is still out there. This just focuses on the possibilities of government methods of mind control. It seems impossible to avoid it, especially if being used through TV’s, radio and even satellite transmission.

Who knows if they crank up the volume and use this method to sway the masses? Even though this issue has been around a while it appears to be getting more aggressive.

We know grocery stores, including Walmart use it to increase sales and it is proven to work. I suspect a subliminal message was also put in to a recent ad on the History channel. It works quite well. It even worked on me. Ive heard of people leaving the grocery store that bought dog food and don’t have a dog. These instances use music as the means to transmit.

What other things are at work that we aren’t aware of?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Now that is some pretty effective manipulation, some one actually bought dog food and didn't own a dog???

Wow~

Good thread by the way.

Many people like to say, and it holds some truth, that just because a patent is issued doesn't mean the product is going to be used, while on the other hand most people that acquire patents do so with the desire to market the product.

No market, no sales, no sales = waste of time and money.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here's some more patents, with links to read them.

US Patent #2,995,633, August 8, 1961, "Means for Aiding Hearing" pdf

US Patent #3,170,993, February 23, 1965, "Means for Aiding Hearing by Electrical Stimulation of the Facial Nerve System" pdf

US Patent #3,393,279, July 16, 1968, "Nervous System Excitation Device" pdf

US Patent #3,566,347, Feb. 23, 1971, "Psycho-Acoustic Projector" pdf

US Patent #3,647,970, March 7, 1972, "Method and System of Simplifying Speech Waveforms" pdf

US Patent #3,773,049, Nov. 20, 1973, "Apparatus for the Treatment of Neuropsychic and Somatic Diseases with Heat, Light, Sound and VHF Electromagnetic Radiation" pdf

US Patent #3,951,134, April 20, 1976, "Apparatus And Method For Remotely Monitoring And Altering Brainwaves" html pdf

US Patent #4,034,741, July 12, 1977, "Noise Transmitter and Generator" html pdf

US Patent #4,191,175, March 4, 1980, "Method and Apparatus for Repetitively Producing a Noise-Like Audible Signal" html pdf

US Patent #4,227,516, Oct. 14, 1990, "Apparatus for Electrophysiological Stimulation" html pdf

US Patent #4,335,710, June 22, 1982, "Device for the Induction of Specific Brain Wave Patterns" html pdf

US Patent #4,395,600, July 26, 1983, "Auditory Subliminal Message System and Method" html pdf

US Patent #4,717,343, Jan. 5, 1988, "Method of Changing a Person's Behavior" html pdf

US Patent #4,777,529, October 11, 1988, "Auditory Subliminal Programming System" html pdf

US Patent #4,834,701, May 30, 1989, "Apparatus for Inducing Frequency Reduction in Brainwave" html pdf

US Patent #4,858,612, Aug. 22, 1989, "Hearing Device" html pdf

US Patent #4,877,027, Oct. 31, 1989, "Hearing System" html pdf

US Patent #4,883,067, Nov. 28, 1989, "Method and Apparatus for Translating the EEG into Music to Induce and Control Various Psychological and Physiological States and to Control a Musical Instrument" html pdf

US Patent #4,889,526, Dec. 26, 1989, "Non-Invasive Method and Apparatus for Modulating Brain Signals Through an External Magnetic Or Electric Field To Reduce Pain" html pdf

US Patent #5,036,858, Aug. 6, 1991, "Method And Apparatus For Changing Brain Wave Frequency" html pdf

US Patent #5,123,899, June 23, 1992, "Method and System for Altering Consciousness" html pdf

US Patent #5,134,484, July 28, 1992, "Superimposing Method and Apparatus Useful for Subliminal Messages" html pdf

US Patent #5,159,703, Oct. 27, 1992, "Silent Subliminal Presentation System" html pdf

US Patent #5,270,800, December 14, 1993, "Subliminal Message Generator" html pdf

US Patent #5,213,562, May 25, 1993, "Method of Inducing Mental, Emotional and Physical States of Consciousness, Including Specific Mental Activity in Human Beings" html pdf

US Patent #5,289,438, Feb. 22, 1994, "Method and System For Altering Consciousness" html pdf

US Patent #5,352,181, Oct. 4, 1994, "Method and Recording For Producing Sounds and Messages to Achieve Alpha and Theta Brainwave States and Positive Emotional States in Humans" html pdf

US Patent #5,356,368, Oct. 18, 1994, "Method and Apparatus for Inducing Desired States of Consciousness" html pdf

US Patent #5,392,788, Feb. 28, 1995, "Method And Device For Interpreting Concepts And Conceptual Thought From Brainwave Data And For Assisting For Diagnosis Of Brainwave Dysfunction" html pdf

US Patent #5,539,705, July 23, 1996, "Ultrasonic Speech Translator and Communication System" html pdf

US Patent #5,507,291, April 16, 1996, "Method And An Associated Apparatus For Remotely Determining Information As To Person's Emotional State" html pdf

US Patent #5,562,597, Oct. 8, 1996, "Method and Apparatus for Reducing Physiological Stress" html pdf

US Patent #5,586,967, Dec. 24, 1996, "Method and Recording or Producing Sounds and Messages To Achieve Alpha and Theta Brainwave States in Humans" html pdf

Edit to add these:

US Patent #5,629,678, May 13, 1997, "Personal tracking and recovery system" html pdf

US Patent #5,760,692, June 2, 1998, "Intra-oral tracking device" html pdf

US Patent #5,935,054, August 10, 1999, "Magnetic excitation of sensory resonances" html pdf

US Patent #6,006,188, December 21, 1999, "Speech signal processing for determining psychological or physiological characteristics using a knowledge base" html pdf

US Patent #6,011,991, January 4, 2000, "Communication system and method including brain wave analysis and/or use of brain activity" html pdf

US Patent #6,017,302, January 25, 2000, "Subliminal acoustic manipulation of nervous systems" html pdf

US Patent #6,052,336, April 18, 2000, "Apparatus and method of broadcasting audible sound using ultrasonic sound as a carrier" html pdf

[edit on May 19th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Yes, it's weird isnt it. They have proven that subliminal messages work. Some call it neuromarketing.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Wow, how did you pull all that us so quickly? Thank you! Maybe you had a previous interest in the subject like I did.

It recently resurfaced with statements about it not being so subtle anymore.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
So subliminal messages turn your brain off? Even if you were given a subliminal message to buy dog food, wouldnt the rest of your brain tell you "Hey idiot you dont have a dog"? I want to meet the person that bought dog food even though they didnt have a dog. That would be a great episode on Jerry Springer, "I bought a 50 pound bag of dog food and brought it back to my double wide and realized I didnt have a dog".

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Yes the dog food thing is amusing. I cant recall the source of that info but I think I learned it in college, when we did a bunch of backward masking on reel to reel tapes and heard the messages. I'm sure it was from a professor.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I am curious. What class did you take in college that included backward masking onto music?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
reply to post by wonderworld

I am curious. What class did you take in college that included backward masking onto music?

It was in Philosophy of Religion. There were many different religions in the class. We learned by hearing it for ourselves. Most involved Led Zeppelin and Blue Oyster Cult, as well as a few others.

I just took the class as an elective but if was fun. I also learned about it in Sociology.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
So subliminal messages turn your brain off? Even if you were given a subliminal message to buy dog food, wouldnt the rest of your brain tell you "Hey idiot you dont have a dog"? I want to meet the person that bought dog food even though they didnt have a dog. That would be a great episode on Jerry Springer, "I bought a 50 pound bag of dog food and brought it back to my double wide and realized I didnt have a dog".

Great funny post!

Maybe the guy was convinced that the dog food was so wonderful and such a good deal he should buy some in case he ever got a dog.

Orrrrr...........Perhaps he was convinced the nutritional value was of such a standard he would trade it in for his usual Ramen noodles.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
The Subliminal Scares

Do hidden stimuli pass stealthily though the doors of perception? If so, do subliminal messages have any effect on the minds they invade? In the late 1950s, the American public was troubled with such questions after concealed ads were reportedly shown to unwitting movie-goers.

www.parascope.com...
Except, of course, that turned out to be a hoax... www.snopes.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

No it is not a hoax. The Federal government made it illegal in the 70's but in 2000 new patents popped up and is still in use. It has been proven to work. I even heard it myself in college.

I understand you found one article to debunk the concept but there are thousands more that support it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I understand you found one article to debunk the concept but there are thousands more that support it.
Quite the opposite, I'm afraid. Nothing has been proven conclusively about the effects of subliminal messages. While it's been a topic of debate for more than 50 years, the first academic studies that produced positive results have all been within the last 5 years or so. (See Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences articles "A direct intracranial record of emotions evoked by subliminal words" or "Subliminal exposure to national flags affects political thought and behavior" (where showing a nation's flag actually made the subject LESS patriotic, according to their study.)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

It sounds like you have been doing some reading on the internet. I beg to differ but it is proven and is quite effective!

I'm truly surprised at some misconceptions on this subject. As I said before the goverment banned it's use in the 70's but it never went away. There is profit involved.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

It sounds like you have been doing some reading on the internet. I beg to differ but it is proven and is quite effective!

I'm truly surprised at some misconceptions on this subject. As I said before the goverment banned it's use in the 70's but it never went away. There is profit involved.
Congress will pass laws as knee-jerk reactions to the public fears whether well founded or not. (See all the post-9/11 / Patriot Act crap...)

Can you cite any primary sources or peer-reviewed academic research that proves that it does work and is "quite effective"? Because so far you've only provided urban myths...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I have heard it with my own ears. In college we got reel to reel tapes and played them backwards. You can clearly hear these hidden messages. They do exist.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I have heard it with my own ears. In college we got reel to reel tapes and played them backwards. You can clearly hear these hidden messages. They do exist.
I'm not doubting if hidden messages might exist in some media. I'm questioning their effectiveness on the subconscious mind.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Well I may agree Nothing has been proven conclusively about the effects of subliminal messages. This doesnt prevent Walmart or others from using it.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I believe that subliminal messages are very real and placed in to peoples dead for defined and interesting perpuses, I just feel that aby kind of negative message must be satan in some way. you have got to be careful

new topics

top topics

join