posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:40 AM
Originally posted by MatrixProphet
You were one of the inventors of Artificial Intelligence, right?
To answer your question: logic in combination with my senses. What feels right, along with my life experience & or references that I trust. I don't
mean to brag, but I have high EQ and IQ. But it is the EQ that is the most important. I lean on it far more than my left brain intelligence.
Nah, AI was at one time a personal project of mine, except I didn't want to create "artificial" intelligence, but real intelligence. I gave up on
it when I realized it is impossible to create real intelligence, and that at most the best anyone can do is to mimic intelligence and give something
the appearance that is is "intelligent", when it is not. It will forever and always be a realm of action and reaction, repeating patterns and so
forth and will lack understanding or what it means "to be". Can't program these things in, they are well beyond the realm of logic. In the
end, I realized that consciousness(what I could never give the AI) is that which creates logic, can't use logic to create consciousness. But I
learned alot in terms of the real world and how our bodies behave and so forth just from thinking about it.
When I ask the above question I am asking in more of a programming/logical point of view, rather than so much as to how exactly we think we come to
truth. We do a combination of things. But I was more looking at how to put those things we "feel" are right or wrong into logic. Which means,
a bunch of if this, then do that, while this is happening, do this, etc.
For example, lets say we want to use the method of accepting things. Which we all do. We come into this world and we rely on our parents to tell us
the truth. So how do we come up with the logic for determing right from wrong? Can't program a "feeling", the best I can do is generate a
"random" number and generate a feeling based off that random number, IE: random number between 1-10, if the number is below 4, then 1 feeling, above
4 another feeling which gives you a 40% chance of 1 feeling, or a 60% chance of another. While this would mimic what we do in many ways, it is not
actually what we do.
I'm not so much asking for code or the logic in itself. It's more about a thought experiment which will reveal insights into how we determine fact
from fiction and so forth.
??? I think I understand what you are asking? Another words; who do I turn to as reference? Or who do I trust? That is a good one!
I have had to walk a lot of rocky roads to answer that one. A combination of many things - also God.
Right, but as I was looking at creating AI, I was looking for a logical way. As I mentioned above, I eventually came to realize it is impossible
without consciousness/god. But again the point is the thought experiment which in itself leads to better understanding.